Sign in to follow this  
crazykage

I would like to see a punisment mechanic for those that dont kill enough players:

How about a system that instills fear and other psychological effects on players that don't kill other players often enough?

A player that has lived too long will have seen many horrible things. If they fail to act on these things (not killing enough bandits, not saving the lives of innocent bambis, etc), they will begin to suffer from feelings of self loathing (from failing to potentially save a life), impotence, lack of confidence, or depression from seeing so many horrors and failing totally to do anything about it.

When in this state, the constant fear and lack of confidence could cause a reduction in accuracy, random moaning or crying, clumsiness (dropping items randomly), higher likely hood of becoming sick, general reduction of the health of the character (more easily wounded, take longer to heal).

A "hero" character might suffer from PTSD from seeing so many people he has helped die, or turn on him after helping them. If he doesn't at some point act to defend himself, sometimes pre-emptively, he should develop feelings of paranoia and intense fear (game could FORCE his character to draw a weapon and shoot at a player nearby).

Players that suffer in this state for too long could randomly fall to the ground and curl up into a fetal position. At this point, the character has taken too much abuse to its psyche, and must either commit suicide, or simply allow itself to be killed.

Also, players that simply hide in the woods and never see anybody or anything, could become highly paranoid, or lonely, or even schizophrenic, and start talking to themselves at random intervals, which would alert zombies and players alike that happen to be nearby.

EDIT: THIS IS A STATEMENT EMPHASISING A POINT COUCHED IN SARCASM. DO NOT TAKE IT LITERALLY. See my next post below for more.

Edited by Crazykage
  • Like 13

And thus, balance was restored.

Vae victus!

Edited by Rudette
  • Like 1

Hi kage, i like this but i reckon it would be too hard to implement especially stupid how you want it to force you to fire at someone, what if there your team mate? And rocket wants the players to make the story not the game, hes just implementing the tools to do i.

Nice one!

If you get 'psychological' penalties for KoSing, then you also get them for not KoSing. Best way to shoot down an argument is to turn it on its head. Just shows how impractical and ill-thought-out the whole suggestion of psychological effects is. My beans to you, sir.

• Like 2

Nice one!

If you get 'psychological' penalties for KoSing, then you also get them for not KoSing. Best way to shoot down an argument is to turn it on its head. Just shows how impractical and ill-thought-out the whole suggestion of psychological effects is. My beans to you, sir.

yeah aspecially when we think about how much time it took to write the post JUST to Show the Anti-KOS-Group how stupid a conversation is. really like People like that.

Seriously is this a troll thread?!

Yes, this is a troll thread.  And a well deserved one at that.  

Edited by iBane

Clever, very clever.

no its not.

it just says very much about this Person when he puts so much effort for showing that peoples opinions are "stupid".

Edited by Ozar

Beans, Even though I don't actually agree with the idea, I see what you did there.

In my opinion, KoS sucks, but psychological effects aren't the answer. Dean wants the players to have a wonderful, unscripted experience. Adding in any effects what so ever would trample the real LIFE feelings of fear, tension, paranoia, ect.

I did not make this thread to troll, but to make a POINT.

The people proposing a psychological punishment mechanic are doing so out of SELFISHNESS. They want to limit how other people play the game, so that more will play the game THEIR way. I have killed another player, that was not a direct threat to me, and unprovoked, 5 times in over 130 hours of play. I don't KoS often. In fact, I do it VERY rarely. But when I want to do, BY GOD IM GOING TO DO IT. It is a part of the game, and should not be limited.

Myself and others have argued this from every angle, from every direction, in every manner possible. Everything has been covered, from implementation of future game mechanics that will offer greater incentive and options for player cooperation (thereby reducing the KoS that results from shear boredom), to the simple fact that its a sandbox game where I can do whatever I damnwell please, to the fact that KoSers bring in the element of fear and adrenaline that SO FEW games manage to ACTUALLY do.

So I made this thread, to make a point. The "carebear" crowd will undoubtedly read this and hate it just as much as the KOS crowd hates their ideas. POINT.

Its a poorly thought out system, that would be utter bullshit if implemented, and would completely ruin the game for a large portion of the player base. POINT.

It offers no empirical data, nor does it indicate any actual method of viable implementation. POINT.

It took me all of 3 minutes to think of and type out this "idea". POINT.

It is EXACTLY the same kind of idea already proposed ad-infinium (albeit reversed), which has already been disproved time and again, yet is defended over and over by individuals who bring NOTHING new to the discussion. POINT.

I CHALLENGE anyone to give me a logical, well thought out proposal, using facts, figures, and GENUINE ideas, on how such a system could be implemented, as well as to give me a logical reasoning as to WHY another player's behavior in game should be controlled in any way. AND to do it in a manner that is not rude, or insulting.

I do not believe it can be done.

EDIT:

forgot one:
The only thing about this idea, and the "anti kos" version, that makes sense is that IN THE REAL WORLD, these things could and would happen. But we are playing a GAME. this is RECREATION. P-O-I-N-T!

Edited by Crazykage
  • Like 7

no its not.

it just says very much about this Person when he puts so much effort for showing that peoples opinions are "stupid".

lol Jimmy here is upset xD

you could have a pyschology system it would just have to be as punshing for killing zeds as people, as zeds are people to there just infected then it would be a level playing ground all of our characters would end as drug addicts/alcoholics requiring self medicating to stop the effects....

You never know might be interesting id look forawrd to guzzling vodka to do some looting in the cities.....

Edited by SoulFirez
  • Like 1

I did not make this thread to troll, but to make a POINT.

The people proposing a psychological punishment mechanic are doing so out of SELFISHNESS. They want to limit how other people play the game, so that more will play the game THEIR way. I have killed another player, that was not a direct threat to me, and unprovoked, 5 times in over 130 hours of play. I don't KoS often. In fact, I do it VERY rarely. But when I want to do, BY GOD IM GOING TO DO IT. It is a part of the game, and should not be limited.

Myself and others have argued this from every angle, from every direction, in every manner possible. Everything has been covered, from implementation of future game mechanics that will offer greater incentive and options for player cooperation (thereby reducing the KoS that results from shear boredom), to the simple fact that its a sandbox game where I can do whatever I damnwell please, to the fact that KoSers bring in the element of fear and adrenaline that SO FEW games manage to ACTUALLY do.

So I made this thread, to make a point. The "carebear" crowd will undoubtedly read this and hate it just as much as the KOS crowd hates their ideas. POINT.

Its a poorly thought out system, that would be utter bullshit if implemented, and would completely ruin the game for a large portion of the player base. POINT.

It offers no empirical data, nor does it indicate any actual method of viable implementation. POINT.

It took me all of 3 minutes to think of and type out this "idea". POINT.

It is EXACTLY the same kind of idea already proposed ad-infinium (albeit reversed), which has already been disproved time and again, yet is defended over and over by individuals who bring NOTHING new to the discussion. POINT.

I CHALLENGE anyone to give me a logical, well thought out proposal, using facts, figures, and GENUINE ideas, on how such a system could be implemented, as well as to give me a logical reasoning as to WHY another player's behavior in game should be controlled in any way. AND to do it in a manner that is not rude, or insulting.

I do not believe it can be done.

So you see a stupid topic, then you make an equally stupid topic to show how stupid that topic is. I should make a topic thats shows how stupid this topic is, then you could make one saying how stupid my topic is and this forum can continue to be filled with troll thread and stupidity. Please stop.

• Like 2

So you see a stupid topic, then you make an equally stupid topic to show how stupid that topic is. I should make a topic thats shows how stupid this topic is, then you could make one saying how stupid my topic is and this forum can continue to be filled with troll thread and stupidity. Please stop.

this made my day !!!!

he only thing about this idea, and the "anti kos" version, that makes sense is that IN THE REAL WORLD, these things could and would happen. But we are playing a GAME. this is RECREATION. P-O-I-N-T!

I think the main point here is not that "This is a game, and this mechanic isn't needed or wouldn't be fun". In an ideal world, it would be pretty amazing if psychological effects happened to your character, and they became unhinged or depressed depending on what you made them do or not do.

The main point is, it's nigh-on impossible for the devs to actually achieve it. A half-baked or arbitrary version would almost certainly detract from the experience and cause frustration: therefore, it's not worth opening that can of worms.

Psychology is too imprecise and complex a subject to be implemented in this game in a way that could be balanced.

Edited by Pillock
  • Like 1

First time using a forum bro?  Seems to be the staple diet of forums the world over...

• Like 1