Sign in to follow this  
hannibaldaplaya

Does feeling bad about killing players in DayZ make me a pussy or a morally sound individual?

THE POLL  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Does feeling bad about killing people in DayZ make me a...

• pussy
    • morally sound individual
    • a person who understands i may be ruining someone's day
    • its just a game so it don't matter
    • a mix of all of the above

So, yeah. Sometimes I feel bad about killing players when they're not doing anything wrong. Other times, I get a nice rush and some tense excitement from killing those who are being assholes (i.e sniping bandits at Kamyshovo who are murdering / mugging freshspawns.)

Do I need to grow some balls and realize this is a game or just not do anything about it? Is the fact the game giving me such a reaction a good thing? I think so, at least.

Edited by Insane Aradia
  • Like 2

So, yeah. Sometimes I feel bad about killing players when they're not doing anything wrong. Other times, I get a nice rush and some tense excitement from killing those who are being assholes (i.e sniping bandits at Kamyshovo who are murdering / mugging freshspawns.)

Do I need to grow some balls and realize this is a game or just not do anything about it? Is the fact the game giving me such a reaction a good thing? I think so, at least.

That says something, if you feel the same way I do, this games a well made and well designed game. If you can call it that yet. 

You rationally realize you may be ruining someones day/time by killing them while they did nothing to provoke it.. At the same time, it is a game, you can realize that also and get over it. :) 

• Like 8

It makes you human, mate.

Now just kill 1000 more people and those feelings should clear right up.

• Like 10

If the game is giving you such a feeling, then it's doing something right, and it shows you are immersed with the game. Sadly a lot of players are just detached and treat it like a CoD Deathmatch.

• Like 1

Do you happen to have a clan or group I may join? We seem to match in feelings, (No homo).

It makes you human, mate.

Now just kill 1000 more people and those feelings should clear right up.

I have to admit, its fun to see people scatter when you shoot them from quite a distance- I've only seen this when sniping some actual bandits, who I saw actually killing other players. Is it worth ruining another person's fun? I dunno. I didn't hesitate killing two guys in a Firestation with my magnum today though, mainly because they were trying to rush me with their axes...

It means you're taking a video game too seriously.

• Like 3

Do you happen to have a clan or group I may join? We seem to match in feelings, (No homo).

I play with a ton of friends on the weekend, not really a group. I'd be willing to play with you, though I can't until the weekend, as during the weekdays I do not have access to my Gaming PC. Go ahead and add me on Steam. ^^

http://steamcommunity.com/id/videogameswerebestin1862/

I'd only feel bad if I backstabbed someone who helped me, which I would never do in the first place. I feel no remorse killing armed people as soon as I see them.

• Like 1

It's a game. I don't think any game reflects on your morality as a person. I try not to be an asshole in DayZ but that's because I think player interactions beyond KoS are the best and most fun part of the game.

However, I beat the fuck out of hookers with a baseball bat in GTA and push grandmas into oncoming traffic for laughs. It's just a game. Do what is most fun for you. 

• Like 1

just shot a guy and knocked him out at NEAF. He was talking a lot of smack via voice communication about killing on sight, to which I just as ignorantly replied with my own plethora of curses. I suddenly had an epiphany and risked running out to bandage him and give him saline. He came to and I left.

To answer your OP, no, I don't think you're a pussy. I don't consider myself to be cowardly at all, I just sometimes regret my actions and attempt to fix them.

• Like 2

Hell, I love Hotline Miami and thats a game about slaughtering russian mobsters. Of course, the music helps..

To add on, I think it's different from most other games like GTA and Skyrim, because the only NPC's are zombies. Everyone else you see, are real actual players. So that probably helps too, that you're shooting at more than just a bunch of pixels on screen.

Just do what you want to do dude. The game was designed to not stop you from doing stuff like killing other people.

I don't think asking for advice on the community is a good idea since you will get mixed opinions.

I have had my fair share of killing FreshSpawns....i didnt like the feeling, cuz they did nothing...so since i am now rolling with a couple buddies....i let them take care of the FreshSpawns....I just like the awsome RUSH from killing the bandits in a gunfight.

pussy

OH MY GOD, BEST RESPONSE TO A THREAD 2014! Here's your reward my good sir!

idiot_award-300x151.png

Edited by AntonioAJC
  • Like 8

I feel every death of a player i KNOW has either low gear or a lesser player. Now on bandit sweeps i have no pity or sympathy. But those bambis and noobs that assume everyone is KOS'r every time i have to put one down i feel like i failed. Why i purposefully don't wear masks or helmts (just a black berret and sun glasses) and always attempt to communicate first. Spend most of my time on east coast giving out food/water and advice to those i run into. So those deaths always feel to me like i failed to communicate correctly or i made some random threatening move to them.

SO if you see {CQF} FTA on the server you are on and run into a guy with a military gear except a black berret and raybans... If i hail you im just trying to help you out. But played much longer then you and will probably will end you if you try anything. Also im rarely alone so just be aware shooting me leads to about 6 other players around you now consider you hostile and will drop you.

Edited by Fear The Amish
  • Like 2

I feel every death of a player i KNOW has either low gear or a lesser player. Now on bandit sweeps i have no pity or sympathy. But those bambis and noobs that assume everyone is KOS'r every time i have to put one down i feel like i failed. Why i purposefully don't wear masks or helmts (just a black berret and sun glasses) and always attempt to communicate first. Spend most of my time on east coast giving out food/water and advice to those i run into. So those deaths always feel to me like i failed to communicate correctly or i made some random threatening move to them.

Yeah, I always try to be nice to fresh spawns unless they're acting suspicious or trying to follow me for no reason.

SO if you see {CQF} FTA on the server you are on and run into a guy with a military gear except a black berret and raybans... If i hail you im just trying to help you out. But played much longer then you and will probably will end you if you try anything. Also im rarely alone so just be aware shooting me leads to about 6 other players around you now consider you hostile and will drop you.

I don't get why everyone assumes if you're wearing a helmet or decked in military gear you must be a bandit. I just don't get it. 

Why would I sacrifice my own safety FROM bandits, by not wearing the best protection available? Masks and stuff, sure, that looks a bit bandity, but a guy just running around in military kit with a ballistic helmet on? C'mon, he could be anyone. He could be a medic! (We need a lootable red cross armband. :p )

I don't get why everyone assumes if you're wearing a helmet or decked in military gear you must be a bandit. I just don't get it. 

Why would I sacrifice my own safety FROM bandits, by not wearing the best protection available? Masks and stuff, sure, that looks a bit bandity, but a guy just running around in military kit with a ballistic helmet on? C'mon, he could be anyone. He could be a medic! (We need a lootable red cross armband. :P )

I know right? Why can't I dress up in the most intimidating military gear I can find, and cause bandits to scream in fear and make them beg for mercy before I break their legs, hand cuff them, poison them, then leave them for the zeds to eat up? I'm not hurting anyone!

To the OP. Congratulations. You're NOT a SOCIOPATH! That probably marks you apart from about 30% of the people who play this game.

Sociopathy is defined by the inability to relate to (for example, feel empathy for) other people. What you have experienced is in fact empathy. This is a good thing and to be encouraged.

Please ignore every sociopath who has called you derogatory names. They have their own path to travel.

*edit*

As something of a pre-emptive strike let me also add that the medium of interaction does NOT change the pathology of behaviour. E.g excusing said behaviour by saying 'it's just in a game' is incorrect.

Edited by r3volution
  • Like 2