gibonez

Shouldn't the #1 priority be mods ?

Seeing as the engine is built and the server infrastructure is all set up.

Shouldn't allowing modding and community driven content be the #1 priority ?

We all know that the community can come up with things that are 100x better and at the same time bring out that content in a much faster pace.

So does anyone agree with me , shouldn't modding be priority #1 so we can once again see the community outdo themselves with mods like ACE, breaking point, Epoch, dayz 2017 , invasion 1944, hell in the pacific and any of the other dozens upon dozens of fan fantastic community mods.

• Like 1

Lolno. You're also not realizing this isn't arma anymore. This is DayZ. Mods will take time to make and slow the development of the game more than it already has.

• Like 10

Not right now

Most of the code going to be unfinished and modding now would just cause massive problems for the modders who have to then mess around with new updates Ect

I mean we can't even hunt or make campfires, modding is a long way off and should stay that way

Lolno. You're also not realizing this isn't arma anymore. This is DayZ. Mods will take time to make and slow the development of the game more than it already has.

How would mods slow development if the community themselves would make it.

Yeah lets mod an unfinished game and see how that goes.

Being done with Arma 3 and the community is pushing out way more content than Bohemia.

Being done with Arma 3 and the community is pushing out way more content than Bohemia.

Dean can still make core changes to the game. The development time will slow if they put more resources toward it. So either A. Have some pissed off modders cause everything changes all the time. Or B. Keep it as it is and release modding around Beta.

• Like 4

and also, Arma III has been released for quite a while.
  • Like 2

No. I want the game to be finished before I see thousands of different mods with 8 players each. You know, Alpha, for testing purposes.

• Like 3

Shouldn't all the core features of the game be in place before modding accessibility is looked at?

• Like 7

Dean can still make core changes to the game. The development time will slow if they put more resources toward it. So either A. Have some pissed off modders cause everything changes all the time. Or B. Keep it as it is and release modding around Beta.

This i am dying to mod the game cant wait to add clothes buildings dead bodies for scenery etc etc but i can wait till atleast the main focus is finished the ground work.

With arma 3 even when they released it as a alpha it was probably closer to a beta and even then it was a pain at times changing mods because of changes i can imagine some fairly big changes coming with dayz..

Modder who is happy to wait and see the devs vision realized...

• Like 2

and also, Arma III has been released for quite a while.

Modding was available right away, heck took like 3 days before people ported all the arma 2 content over.

Now imagine if they did the same with dayz SA.

We would have the community making faster content adding more features than the devs and like in all cases the quality of the work from the community is always higher, just look at ACE.

• Like 1

Content is not better than the devs, not happy with current pace hey??

Besides, people screwing around with everything would be 2 steps back

You do realise that 'the game' isn't even out yet...

'No Mr Ford, no need to stick wheels on my new car, I'll craft some myself'.

Patience is lacking in this modern world!

• Like 2

You dont realise how different this new Dayz will be compared to the mod, do you?

I guess, youll have to wait and see. Just like everyone. 

I do want mods, but I know for certain that they wont let us do anything until the game is out. We need to finish the beta first.

Why would we start adding modding capabilities, when the foundation isnt "studry" enough yet?
Do you honestly believe this game would benefit from mods atm?

I dont think they are gonna focus on mods for a long long long time, theres so much in the core game that needs to be finished and working proberly.
I mean, we dont even have respawning loot or zombies, and the server/client architecture is far from done lol.

I think you also need to realise, modding in SA wil be nothing like modding in Arma.
At least i really doubt it, its another server setup, way more restricted and "closed" to prevent abusing of the commands.
They might have to actually write the new modding tools and everything for SA, because they have changed the way the server/client handles information, so much.

Now i understand you are comparing this to Arma 3, but Arma 3 was a tried and tested concept, basicly the scripting works exactly like it does in Arma II and OFP, so theres nothing new there and it seemed very easy to keep it the way its always been.
Now this is not the case with the SA, this is new and un-tested ground for the dev team and BI. They have basicly never done anything like this before, so please dont compare modding in the Arma games to modding in SA, as it will most likely be a whole other beast, with far far far less options in it tbh.

We would have the community making faster content adding more features than the devs and like in all cases the quality of the work from the community is always higher, just look at ACE.

Yes some community members do have awsome mods, but do you realize how long its taken to make theese?
ACE and ACRE has ben underway for years, JSRS has been underway for years, basicly any of the big awsome community made project, have been underway for years mate.
SO yes, they know how to do this, but it takes time lol.

Even in Arma 3 Alpha, we had nothing but crappy content from the community, because people pushed they're work to fast.
It wasnt ideal and the lack of content for Arma 3, compared to Arma 2, right now, is also very clear.

DayZ will get its modding capability in due time, but now is certaintly not the time.
Let the devs do what they want with it and show us they're vision first.
Then we can start adding mods, towaards the end of the BETA preferably..

Edited by Byrgesen
  • Like 1

I love the modding community, but there is a time and place for them. Deep in the entrails of an Alpha is not that time, nor that place.

yeah fuck off gibz, i agree with you on realistic weapons, but as I've explained before you're just fucking wrong on this.

We all know that the community can come up with things that are 100x better and at the same time bring out that content in a much faster pace.

So does anyone agree with me , shouldn't modding be priority #1 so we can once again see the community outdo themselves with mods like ACE, breaking point, Epoch, dayz 2017 , invasion 1944, hell in the pacific and any of the other dozens upon dozens of fan fantastic community mods.

since the game engine/mechanics, and in game models are still subject to discussion, and might  change.. i would think its the wrong time to build a mod, since changing something the mod may rely on, will break the mod..

honestly, even if it was possible, i'd say it is the wrong time to make mods.

I think they should finish the game first.

• Like 1

Err.... No. The engine isnt even half done. The server infrastructure is a house of cards held together by silly putty. Its going to be at least 6 months before they are finished building it.

Running around in a server does in no way =  finished engine or infrastructure. 

I think this is a great idea. I would love to have the option to wear a skinny tie, wear my hair in a mop top and drive a Vespa around '60s London listening to The Kinks.

Hello there

I can understand OP's reasoning, but it is flawed.

As an analogy OP cites A3. Does he not remember the furore that happened when they changes the class name to ifrit?

Almost all missions we instantly broken.

That's just one tiny wee classname.

Dean and the devs are up to their waist in code ripping out stuff here and there their mods would be constantly breaking, also DAYZ the stand alone release is a very different beast to Arma and one really should not think of dayz as either its parent or indeed the mod.

Letting the community onto the game now would result in a bunch of unfinished forks.

One is better off playing the mod and its derivatives if you crave varriety IMHO.

As the game develops and more inherent mechanics are added youll see how DAYZ will change from where we are now into a truly different experience from the mod which was essentially Arma with persistence and zeds.

I do sympathise with OP and see where he is coming from, but he's just not quite got a handle on what's going on and where things are heading.

Now, as to when the game is complete, although Im unsure if I personally would allow modding rather than just new worlds, I do see the community being able to pick up the ball and run with it to an extent.

The mod community always has something to offer, but also on the flip side can easily break the Dayz ethos.

This is the first RV game where im skeptical about large scale modding.

Anyhoo its down to the devs, lets wait and see!

Rdgs

LoK

dean and the devs hard at work

Edited by orlok
missing sentences
  • Like 1

deleted  B)

Edited by V3C1C