Cap'n (DayZ)

SKS vs M4

No. Even with pristine magpul parts the acog sight is almost useless in close range and sketchy at best for medium range. I loved the acog in dayz mod but for standalone its just not as good. Unless you carry both acog and red dot and you put acog on for engagements over 150 meters. anything less than that and you are better off with RDS. And for anything over 200 you're best bet is a mosin with a LRS.

Until they fix the zoom on the acog it really has no place in the game.

I don't use these guns, because I use the Mosin, however I've been shot up by both. From these experiences, (400+ hours) I can tell you the SKS does much better. I have had people maybe 10 yards away from me shooting at me with both, almost in the same spot, and the M4 guy kept hitting me, in the legs, and it took over 50 rounds to bring me down. The SKS guy missed a few shots although when he finally hit my character had shock and went night night. If you have any sense of aim, the SKS is so much better.

M4 is best for combat in this time. You can shoot to stop or prevent the enemy from observing, shooting or moving. Once I met group of bandit at military base. They shoot me and I fight back. I shot about 200 bullet and run away from them.

SKS is best for assassination.I killed many people in chapaevsk with sks.

XpzNhMJ.jpg?1

I don't use these guns, because I use the Mosin, however I've been shot up by both. From these experiences, (400+ hours) I can tell you the SKS does much better. I have had people maybe 10 yards away from me shooting at me with both, almost in the same spot, and the M4 guy kept hitting me, in the legs, and it took over 50 rounds to bring me down. The SKS guy missed a few shots although when he finally hit my character had shock and went night night. If you have any sense of aim, the SKS is so much better.

So, because the player you were up against was using crappy parts for his M4, or he was a bad shot, that makes the M4 bad?

Well to be honest the M4A1 needs to be tweeked to match how truly decent a weapon it is. To be honest the damage doesn't even come close to the real thing at least thats what allot of ppl are saying. And its not an M4 its a completely different sub set of AR model in general. It borrows from the M4 but thats it. M4A1 is a more versatile version.

SKS is an out of date Russian weapon and to be honest any American weapon could match any soviet weapon in terms of power. Again weapon damage is out of place big time. It takes MORE hits to kill some one with a machete in game right now than it does with an axe. The axe should be one shot one kill however a mechete is like a hilly billy version of a samurai sword. On good hit to the head and anything should go down.

Well, first of all, most American weapons are bullshit and the ones Russia has to offer are much better... Also, the argument that it is outdatet doesn't really have a point, since your "good" American M2 is still in use and was used for already about 100 years. The argument with the machete is invalid, too, because what you call "samurai swords" are made of many layers of steel, which would be much too expensive for a machete, which makes it less sharp, so you can only chop heads with it in shitty hollywood movies. (sorry for bad english and wrong use of commas)

Well to be honest the M4A1 needs to be tweeked to match how truly decent a weapon it is. To be honest the damage doesn't even come close to the real thing at least thats what allot of ppl are saying. And its not an M4 its a completely different sub set of AR model in general. It borrows from the M4 but thats it. M4A1 is a more versatile version.

SKS is an out of date Russian weapon and to be honest any American weapon could match any soviet weapon in terms of power. Again weapon damage is out of place big time. It takes MORE hits to kill some one with a machete in game right now than it does with an axe. The axe should be one shot one kill however a mechete is like a hilly billy version of a samurai sword. On good hit to the head and anything should go down.

That's far too much honesty for my tastes.

That's far too much honesty for my tastes.

That's far too much thread necrophilia for my tastes.

• Like 1

Anyone think that maybe they incorporated this big difference in performance between a stock M4 and a magpul-equipped M4 to simulate differences in weapon condition and quality?

That's my speculation anyway.

Edited by Dagwood

Anyone think that maybe they incorporated this big difference in performance between a stock M4 and a magpul-equipped M4 to simulate differences in weapon condition and quality?

Most of the gun's performance is in the upper receiver group. Superficial parts don't seriously affect its function. 

Edited by hotcakes

And handguards and buttstocks are more aesthetically noticeable. That would be my guess as to why. But I agree with you, a handguard or a buttstock modification would have pretty negligible effects on shots within several hindered meters.

I feel it's just a cheap way to make you work a little bit in order to improve your gun. Of course two plastic parts on your gun aren't going to affect things such as dispersion, but it's something for the player to do.

Being an Ex-yugoslav myself, I'm very glad that bethesda added our own variation of the SKS to the game instead of the stock russian one.

Sorry for reacting to necro post, BUT WHAT?

Bethesda had nothing to do with this game....but you ment Bohemia Interactive right, which is Czech company. 

Ughhhh

Here is a funny tid bit

Both the m4 and the sks are far more accurate than a stock mosin using stock ammo.

Well, first of all, most American weapons are bullshit and the ones Russia has to offer are much better... Also, the argument that it is outdatet doesn't really have a point, since your "good" American M2 is still in use and was used for already about 100 years. The argument with the machete is invalid, too, because what you call "samurai swords" are made of many layers of steel, which would be much too expensive for a machete, which makes it less sharp, so you can only chop heads with it in shitty hollywood movies. (sorry for bad english and wrong use of commas)

How about make both weapons with equal power as well as melee and we all shut up?

Whey the hell did it take you so long to even bring up this point in an ubber dead thread again?

SKS ok

The M4 always was rubbish right back from the mod. Little glitzy toy gun, no punch, just spray.

Get an AKM - makes a nice noise, looks beat up, nothing fancy, easy to use, IT HITS.  Be a man.

Edited by pilgrim

SKS ok

The M4 always was rubbish right back from the mod. Little glitzy toy gun, no punch, just spray.

Get an AKM - makes a nice noise, looks beat up, nothing fancy, easy to use, IT HITS.  Be a man.

I'll use it when

Team Rocket gets off their lazy asses and actually makes the gun work

I don't think that word means what you think it means.

I don't think a sense of humor is what you think it is.

Edited by Grimey Rick
  • Like 1

looking at the roadmap again last night they mention bullet physics, I honestly think that once those are all done we will get a massive weapon balance overhaul. I've used the m4 some and I just can't bring myself to use it over the SKS. However according to my testing and to our resident gun nut Gews from another thread

Magpul stock

Magpul handguard

Suppressor

Bipod deployed while prone

ACOG lets you see the best.

The Magpul™ and suppressor only matters when crouched or standing, because using a bipod with any combination of handguards and stock should result in perfect accuracy, unless of course you have no stock or handguard.

With the Mosin you only need one thing, a compensator, if you have that the bipod is redundant.

CQB stock = 57.4 MOA

Basic M4A1 = 40.6 MOA

One Magpul = 23.7 MOA

Dual Magpul = 6.90 MOA

Bipod = 0 MOA

THe bayonet and supressor both increase the accuracy negligibly by 1/3 MOA according to his tests. I've done some sniping in zelenogorsk at zombies and found this true. using a bipod, single shot fire mode (press t, it changes dispersion whereas firing a single shot in auto mode doesn't affect accuracy 1 iota in my tests) goes on target every time.

I never understood the purpose of the ACOG:

M4's accuracy isn't too great

M4 has really hard recoil unless you lay down and drop the bipod (and even then a moving target past 100m is extremely hard to hit)

The ACOG can zero up to 700m. You can't see anyone past about 400-450 without binoculars or LRS, and even at that (400-450) range people look like ants.

Edited by NexDemise

I never understood the purpose of the ACOG:

M4's accuracy isn't too great

M4 has really hard recoil unless you lay down and drop the bipod (and even then a moving target past 100m is extremely hard to hit)

The ACOG can zero up to 700m. You can't see anyone past about 400-450 without binoculars or LRS, and even at that (400-450) range people look like ants.

Yes, you can.. Turn your FOV down.

M4 needs an accuracy buff, we also need something to simulate vital organ damage and eventually failure.

5.56x45 has a lot less tissue damage than the 7.62x39 to get a kill you really have to hit head/ chest.

5.56x45 has a lot less tissue damage than the 7.62x39 to get a kill you really have to hit head/ chest.

The 5.56 fragments and the 7.62x39 does not. Second you need to place your shots properly regardless of caliber.

ie7SKft.png

• Like 1