Sign in to follow this  
HeXedMinD (DayZ)

SKS vs Mosin

Right now im not sure which i should use, i really like the Mosin because of its accuracy and Long Range Scope attachment.

Even though the Mosin is awesome i find myself in more close range firefights where i use my FNX.

Thing i should use the SKS instead since its pretty good med/close range.

If you are not sniping from a long distance, I think the SKS would better suit your needs.  

My personal preference, Mosin for medium and long range and side arm for short range. I don't know how accurate the SKS is, but I am not accurate within medium range. Not a fan of spray and pray.

I decided to give the SKS a go around a few times and its pretty deadly. More of a short to medium range weapon ( at least I think so) and when you fire it, you can postively scare the piss out of everyone.

• Like 4

I was under the same dilemma yesterday. Ultimately went with the Mosin because I had 50 or so Cartridges for it but couldn't find any SKS ammo.

Unless you're a dedicated sniper, I'd go with the SKS.

It has twice the amo capacity, reloads quicker, takes a PU scope, and it is a one shot kill out to two blocks. The only thing I don't like about it is that you cant spray paint it like the Mosin Xb

Unless you're a dedicated sniper, I'd go with the SKS.

It has twice the amo capacity, reloads quicker, takes a PU scope, and it is a one shot kill out to two blocks. The only thing I don't like about it is that you cant spray paint it like the Mosin Xb

SKS isn't one shot kill. Nor is the mosin. Get your facts straight!

• Like 2

I can make some pretty damned long distance shots on zeds with the SKS. Haven't had to fight with it yet, but I think I'll stick with it because of the semi auto capability.

• Like 1

SKS is the jack of all trades. With the mosin you pretty much have to carry a secondary, but the mosin has half the sks dispersion, and I don't even take into account the attachments that alleviate that further for the mosin.

Also.. the SKS in the game is of Yugoslav design, I like it cos I'm ex-Yu :)

Edited by Infiltrator

I was under the same dilemma yesterday. Ultimately went with the Mosin because I had 50 or so Cartridges for it but couldn't find any SKS ammo.

hope it wasnt because of me i make sure to empty every sks box ammo i find . i am a mosin user but i fear the sks more accurate and deadly than the m4 better at medium range than the m4 currently . i flip to the fnx with red dot sight for towns and flip to the sawn off when in buildings. the sks has me in streets easily good gun but i like the mosin to scope a town to see if it clear...

I go for the Mosin + M4 + Magnum + FN45 + Sawed off setup.

While the Magnum and FN45 are stored in Protector Cases.

So I killed a guy at airfield and took his SKS (Just another routine Banditry). I got a spray painted Mosin with compensator but no scope, so I was wondering if it's a fair trade, or is one better than the other for keeps. SKS has bayonet but no scope. Also looted 2 10 round clips for it as well.

Opinions are valued :D

So I killed a guy at airfield and took his SKS (Just another routine Banditry). I got a spray painted Mosin with compensator but no scope, so I was wondering if it's a fair trade, or is one better than the other for keeps. SKS has bayonet but no scope. Also looted 2 10 round clips for it as well.

Opinions are valued :D

Depends how good of a shot you are.

I'd keep the mosin, I've found the sks to be pretty weak.

Yea but dat sound tho.

The SKS has such a beefy sound to it, it's like firing 12 inch dildos with a bazooka.

But the Mosin does look so sexy when it's painted.....

I'm about to just toss a coin for it.

• Like 2

I prefer the Mosin, cant hit shit with the sks, i really dont know what i am doing wong there ^^ The Mosin seems far more solid to me.

I go for the Mosin + M4 + Magnum + FN45 + Sawed off setup.

While the Magnum and FN45 are stored in Protector Cases.

What you playing, Doom?

When you have an M4, the only other gun that you can have that offers something advantageous is the Mosin with LRS.  ANything else is really just a waste of space.

• Like 1

Personally I tend to  love the Mosin for long distance including the LRS. The SKS is awesome for mid range combat. I hear mixed reviews, however I've won quite some fights thanks to this little rifle. Especially with the PU scope it's a killer.

SKS isn't one shot kill. Nor is the mosin. Get your facts straight!

It is a one shot kill on freshly spawned players with low blood and health that have no clothing.

I suppose some people have never tried their gun on well-fed players with lots of kit. :emptycan:

Confirming that while a Mosin shot made my screen grey, so I did lose a lot of blood, I managed to finish the fight, bandage up and heal up all by myself in maybe half an hour to an hour.

My two sense. I found that if I tried using the Mosin without a scope, forget it, you might as well be shooting blanks. SKS on the other hand I don't need a scope and can actually hit something. With a scope, I can hit the side of a mountain with the Mosin, and the same with the SKS. It's preference really.

I was a M4A1 fanboy until recently. I love the sks now. I didn't like how loud it was at first so I went back to the M4. but I'm sick of relying on military bases for parts and ammo so I've gone to the SKS and am loving it. I have 100+ ammo usually before I even find one or soon after finding one. PU scope is pretty easy to find. I do still prefer the FNX to the magnum.

I'm currently using SKS+PU as main and a sawed-off shotgun when in buildings.

Works very well for me. Not having to go to military installations to replenish ammo greatly improves survivability.

• Like 1

As the sniper of my group, the Mosin is a no-brainer for me. I need that long range scope!

For anyone who isn't a sniper though, it's hard to recommend the Mosin over the SKS unless you're like me and never find SKS ammo (for some reason).

Similar with the posts above, SKS is great because I dont really need to look for long to find one. Granted its loud, it's still great for close to medium range combat (with PU for better range).