Sign in to follow this  
gjhook

This Game is Being Advertised as an MMO Right? Char Bound to Server.

Almost all MMO's have chars bound to servers. I know at this point it can't happen but when/if the servers will be able to handle 1000 players per server (something Rocket said he hopes to see someday) it would make sense. A couple things that will make this game excel and actually play like a true MMO...

1. Manage your own servers like everyone else does. This isn't CoD or BF.

2. Put some of that $30,000,000 into the backbone, servers, etc.

3. Allow 500+ players per server

4. Chars are bound to server. This will allow players to start really building communities, towns to defend and call home. Bind points in hometown/guild town etc.

This game will then be very epic.

Haters keep it to yourself I don't want to hear your nonsense. Go play CoD if you want an FPS. Rocket has said himself he'd like to see 1000 players on one server. This game needs these things, let's make it happen.

• Like 2

Why would Rocket do that when he can buy a fleet of Bugatti's?

Seriously though, the game is still in alpha and needs a LOT of work done before attempting what you want.  I would love to see 500+ people on a HUGE map though.

Only time will tell, bro.

And so starts the Public vs Private hive argument. Again..

Does DayZ have to do what other MMO-type games are doing (and many have paid transfers/guesting on friends' servers anyway)?  I appreciate being able to jump on another server with the same character if the one I was playing on goes down.  When shelter construction is introduced, there will still be a feel of community without server-binding the characters.  Finding an active server on a private hive would probably be more up your alley.  I couldn't help you find one, though, since I usually jump right off of private servers when I find them.

The profile bound characters are on of the unique things of dayz and it would be a shame to change that

it would be nice if the official hive had hundreds of people and resources considering the influx of moeny and it being quite popular and being a pseudo mmo, ya. It would be nice if the game felt more like an mmo but right now and for the next year at least it will be a pseudo mmo

500 players....on a map the size of Chernarus.....are you mad lol :P

Seriously though with 500 players you would never....ever be able to establish a camp that would last. You can't even do that on a  mod server with 30 regular players. It would be like the wild wild west....everywhere lol

Char bound to server will come eventually, they got these private shards on the way, then you can have the real survival gameplay with a regular playerbase. (im waiting eagerly for this atm)

When rocket say he wants 1000?.....I heard 150 as a target...but for basebuilding and an apocalyptic feel I think even that is too many, on a map like chernarus 20-30 regular players is more than enough for a really good experience, with all sorts of "politics" going on between the various groups. More, and it starts too feel crowded, then you need those epoch style bases to keep stuff safe :)

While the idea of a public hive is pretty cool, its pointless in practice except to give people an easy out. It does nothing to foster any sort of feeling of community and that's what will give Dayz a longer shelf life. I was quite blown away the first time I played the mod on a private server. There weren't any free gear packages for donors, there weren't any abusive admins, it was a large group of people that enjoyed playing the game together. How else are you going to rally people to a threat? Oh, there's a dozen well armed people killing everyone on the coast? Form up a posse and try to give them a little of what they have been giving. You can't do that in SA on a public hive because most people are strangers and have no idea what's happening in the next town over. The chances of EVER meeting up with the same player twice without making arrangements before hand is nearly impossible playing on different servers. To me, when every encounter is with a stranger, it gets old fast. 

• Like 1

Rocket would like 1000 players per server?  Well yeah, that's a want.  I would like a serious relationship with Aria Giovanni, that's not gonna happen, though there's probably a better chance that the servers will someday be able to handle 1000 players.  Honestly I don't think we'll have more than 150 per server, unless they made each server a mega server that contained several maps with travel to and from each (IE Going from Chenarus to Takistan, or the 'Western Map' Rocket wants to do later on), Private hives will come eventually, and you can't just throw money at a problem and it'll be solved.

If rocket dreams about these ideas he honestly doesn't know his stuff...he is already dreaming about things than are possible in maybe 10 years. But i totally agree with one toon per server..100% hopping stopping.

Edited by Enforcer

Does DayZ have to do what other MMO-type games are doing (and many have paid transfers/guesting on friends' servers anyway)?  I appreciate being able to jump on another server with the same character if the one I was playing on goes down.  When shelter construction is introduced, there will still be a feel of community without server-binding the characters.  Finding an active server on a private hive would probably be more up your alley.  I couldn't help you find one, though, since I usually jump right off of private servers when I find them.

This^^^^^^  Private hives will come and then you can have your DayZ epoch BS where you spawn in with BFG and a ten inch black dildo of pwnage.. oh, and one minute in from shore, awaiting YOU is... A BRAND NEW CAR!!! WHOO HOO YAY!!! ...I LOVE all the wonderful private servers that the mod has now... oh, it's so much fun to have to wade through lists of [100000000+  Vehicles! 2,000,000,000 ARMY TENTS and a "SWEET FUCK ALL" initial loadout!!!!] just to find that one lonely server that starts you with a bandage and some flares... 

Edit: Like poster I quoted said... server homes will be made more apparent once tents make their way onto the scene

Edited by GafMast

Nah, I don't wanna answer that.

Go play CoD if you want an FPS.

...the flaw of logic is strong in here. In-deed.

Why would Rocket do that when he can buy a fleet of Bugatti's?

Coke and Hoes. We now that! http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/169165-the-most-profoundly-important-question-ever-asked-to-rocket/?p=1717965

Yeah, this is a pretty bad idea. 40 players is already pushing the boundaries of what is fun to play on for people who aren't outright PvPers, 500 players would completely ruin the game. This game is massive, multiplayer, and online, that doesn't mean it has to go do the same thing as every other MMO.

• Like 1

where do i begin.. *sigh*

A couple things that will make this game excel and actually play like a true MMO...

No this is Arma. at least a lot of it, on the code level.  
DayZ will never be a MMO as you described it. A modern MMO "server" - also called a "realm", or a "shard" - uses a cluster of physical servers for the worldspace alone, with additional servers for the detached services like chat, item management, authorization, NPCs, etc. Often different clusters manage different zones of a realm, and even have clusters located in different datacenters to provide best possible latency to clients from different regions. On top of that come load balancing and patch servers. This is fundamentally different from what the engine was built for and how DayZ works.This was never planned, and will never happen with DayZ. Not with this engine, not with this team, not with current vision and concept of the game. So basically, never.

as for your other suggestions, once private hives have been made available to individual hosters, you will have servers with server-bound characters, and storage and base-building is already on the agenda

EDIT: the game is designated as a "hybrid-MMO" in the regard that your character is persistent throughout all public server, thus allowing you to play with anyone of the hundreds of thousands of people, no matter what region they connect from or what server they created their character on. If it doesnt fit your personal understanding of MMO, maybe you need to expand your horizon instead of making demands.

Edited by e47

MMO stands for Massive Multiplayer Online, until there is a limit to only 40, even hundreds of people per server, this cannot be defined an MMO.

I think that having 1 character per type(normal, hard so far) of game is plenty, without chance of trading/emailing between characters to avoid "cheating". 

IMHO having too many chars would actually ruin this game.

Edited by merlointhesky

Almost all MMO's have chars bound to servers. I know at this point it can't happen but when/if the servers will be able to handle 1000 players per server (something Rocket said he hopes to see someday) it would make sense. A couple things that will make this game excel and actually play like a true MMO...

2. Put some of that $30,000,000 into the backbone, servers, etc.

4. Chars are bound to server. This will allow players to start really building communities, towns to defend and call home. Bind points in hometown/guild town etc.

This game will then be very epic.

Haters keep it to yourself I don't want to hear your nonsense. Go play CoD if you want an FPS. Rocket has said himself he'd like to see 1000 players on one server. This game needs these things, let's make it happen.

I so, so agree on what you said. You hit the jack-pot. Well put.

500 players per server? Where are you going to fit those 500 people? You would have to make the map 5 times as big.

This isn't an mmo, this does not have microtransactions nor a subscription fee, how do you suggest they are going to pay for upkeep of these massive servers cause I can assure you no private server will exist with the added server costs.

No one wants this, seriously.

Edited by Covent

This is fundamentally different from what the engine was built for and how DayZ works.This was never planned, and will never happen with DayZ. Not with this engine, not with this team, not with current vision and concept of the game. So basically, never.

If there is no way to work around this oversight, i would strongly recommend using an engine that can for DAYZ ll. By then they should have the concept worked out into detail and have made a fortune they can re-invest.

I would like to see a persistent world not unlike a certain space sandbox game thats been highly succesful with it.

Easy fix for server hopping. Once per 24 hours. That's it. Unless your server crashes, then you get a free reset. Otherwise either go explore or wait.

• Like 1

This Game is Being Advertised as an MMO Right?

Not right.

Go watch the video on DayZ main page.