gibonez

Any love for the PKM ?

I think once the game takes 'weight' into consideration when modeling how fast a player can move, adding things like the PKM shouldn't be too much of an issue.

It should be relatively self-balancing if a PKM with any serious amount of ammo slows a player down to a sustained 6kph or so.

Wouldn't be my choice to lug it around.

hop on a bike and get emplaced, who needs to walk?

Lets post some more PKM footage.

Notice how the belt does not break apart and instead stays in tact.

Another cool thing to notice is that is nowhere to hold on to if you were to fire it standing or crouched you would burn your hand holding it like a traditional lmg.

Only 2 ways to fire it standing unsupported are by  holding on to the deployed bipod or holding it underneath in front of the trigger guard.

Both result in lots of arm fatigue and weapon sway.

The Akm is the common civilian weapon in eastern Europe and the Czech republic.

In the Czech republic for example the VZ58 in full auto is the most popular rifle.

Sorry mate, but you are wrong. Full auto weapons are banned for civilians here in Czech Rep, but you can still get tactical (semi-auto) version of Vz58. 

That is pretty sexy!

I wouldn't be opposed to it, but I would like to see more civie arms first!

Just what the game needs... more heavy weapons... NOT. Hey dude, how about some morters and RPGs?

One must only ask themselves would it make sense for such a weapon to be in that region ?

Answer to rpgs and mortars would be yes.

RPG7s are widely available in eastern europe and so are light and heavy mortars.

Mortars would fit perfectly fine if they are treated like ace and actually require skill no crappy vanilla mortars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y84kW-rN61o

One upside of including mortars is you can then craft the mortar shells to make IEDS.

82MM_Mortar_IED_ezr2.JPG

600px-FC2-IEDs.jpg

tripwire.jpg

People should not have a problem with military weapons being included in the game what should be a problem is the inclusion of weapons that would make absolutely no sense in the setting.

Weapons such as the

-Barret 50 cal

- Scar rifles

- Aug rifles

or any other number of western exotic rifles or weapons.

The pkm while a military weapon fits the setting perfectly and if treated exactly like it is in real life would be devastating at intermediate and long range but would absolutely be terrible at short range.

The most vital feature to making lmgs work however is the removal of the current bipod mode and instead adopting the ACE mod style weapon deployment and bipod deployment system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjKG-x0lIEE

Watch this for more detailed info

This method of weapon resting absolutely demolishes what is currently in stand alone.

Edited by gibonez
  • Like 1

Gibonz, we NEED more LMG and SMG types in games. And i for one would LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEE to be able to have one of these in game haha.

Also check the topic i just made about AK types. :P

Sorry mate, but you are wrong. Full auto weapons are banned for civilians here in Czech Rep, but you can still get tactical (semi-auto) version of Vz58. 

But that wouldn't stop the USA forces that were in the area to not have one when fighting the zombies.

I think the general hate is for military weapons that would never be found in such an environment. aka fn scars, as50s, Barret 50 cals.

The pkm is extremely common and easily found in Eastern Europe. 

Yeah, I find them on the pavements and in the streets all the time. I can't take one single step before I accidentally trip over one of them. They're everywhere!

But that wouldn't stop the USA forces that were in the area to not have one when fighting the zombies.

Hm you mean that US forces would flock down to Chernarus armed with czech Vz.58?

That's interesting thought but no :-).

But I guess if you managed to loot local barracks or army warehouse, there you could find some Vz.58's in full auto version.

Hm you mean that US forces would flock down to Chernarus armed with czech Vz.58?

That's interesting thought but no :-).

But I guess if you managed to loot local barracks or army warehouse, there you could find some Vz.58's in full auto version.

some similar LMG or SMGs that are american made should still be found if Americans did have a hand in things there though.

I also agree with what you said.

...IED's and VBED's...the havoc would be breathtaking.

They would also be hard to use.

I can only realistically see them being useful for perimeter defense once base building is in and for setting up ambushes on roads.

quick way to disable a vehicle then unleash tons of firepower on people.

Considering the loot % can be altered for any military grade weapon i think the more gun variety the better.  Sure they should be quite rare but finding one would be an achievement.

Agreed, but it seems like any mention of possible inclusions of military grade hardware is met with voting polls, backlash, and whining. I can't speak for anyone else, but I enjoy finding rare or otherwise awesome weapons. Besides, what's the point of military installations without milspec loot?

If they can control the duping and hacking, I believe it's entirely possible to still have military hardware while maintaining balance. The days of every player running around with AS50s, M107s, and Satchel Charges was a disaster attributed to the duping issues or ammo crate party. Instead of finding ways to deal with it, the devs decided it was easier to just go ahead and ban everything which was disappointing.

I love it as well and it would fit right into the environment. But all those people pushing for less military weapons would hate this...

Although I understand the argument that some weapons dont fit the setting of Chernaurus. But then again we have military bases on the map, military carwrecks (atleast in the mod) etc. My point is that whatever happend during the first days or months of the zombie outbreak, its not unreasonable to assume that considerable military force was deployed in the area. Which would leave military weapons and gear scattered around. Maybe there was a joint operation from many countries...whatever, its not hard to justify there being military weapons laying around the map.

The pkm is quite heavy so I can definitely see it fatiguing the user faster. While it is entirely possible to fire the weapon from the shoulder the gun does not have a heat shield so it is impossible to fire it by holding it by the exposed barrel , the bipod makes for a poor holding point for crouch and standing unsupported fire. The gun when fired undeployed should have heavy sway showing the players fatigue. When deployed it should be really controllable that is when its deployed on the ground or off a surface. The game would be quite easy to "balance". At the end of the day if they make it realistic the gun balances out and even then the devs could control the loot chances anyway.

The Pkm comes is fed using 50 round belts these belts can be used over and over again.

SGMT%20Can%20With%20Belt.jpg

I also hate to inform you but certain ammo types are extremely common in large quantities.

The 7.62x54r for example comes in huge spam cans of surplus ammo that was mass produced decades ago all over the former soviet union.

Surplus-Polish-7.62x54R-Ammunition.jpg

That small case has 440 rounds and its dirt cheap.

Anyway they could have a cool mechanic where you combine the rounds with the belt and then after some time and an animation the belt gets loaded with whatever ammo you had on hand.

I understand the reasoning with limiting ammo availability in order to prevent kos but lets be honest limited ammo does zero does nothing to stop kos. If you give players 3 rounds for their mosin they will use those 3 rounds to kill a player.

I'm not sure why people keep pointing out ammo sizes for this gun, as I said "forty rounds" as an arbitrary number that someone would use in a fire fight, not to point out how many bullets it carries. But thanks? I mean, I guess I really don't know how many rounds you'd have with a Russian PKMs standard ammo belt, but it seems rather beside the point, doesn't it?

Having actually fired an M249 SAW and M240b, I'd argue that you'd be hard pressed to carry much more than fifty rounds in a belt by yourself, since an ammo box implies an assistant gunner, but none of this has anything to do with OPs point.

Regardless, it doesn't matter how "common" the round is (you still wouldn't find it in basements in links because people don't own LMGs) because Rocket has already stated an intent to turn down the spawn rate of military grade weapons and loot. That part is really the only thing we're sure of.

Regardless, it doesn't matter how "common" the round is (you still wouldn't find it in basements in links because people don't own LMGs) because Rocket has already stated an intent to turn down the spawn rate of military grade weapons and loot. That part is really the only thing we're sure of.

Yea links would not be found in homes. If the crafting system really takes off I would imagine eventually people would craft non reusable links out of materials in the world. Finding 50 round military links would be the holy grail however.

My one hope however is that military surplus ammo is found in realistic quantities.

675498.jpg

image197.jpg

a308mal7.jpg

These would of course be military spawns and would be important once base building is in. no sane player would carry 400+ rounds around with them however they would take it back to their camp safely store it and distribute among friends.

The military surplus ammo should have completely different characteristics compared to civilian hunting and match ammo.

Edited by gibonez
  • Like 1

Must have. Also add in the RPK and I will be happy.

You should be able to have a chance at finding any ammo/weapon in any home including apartments etc. Anyone ever heard of a criminal? I mean it's Russia for crying out loud...I think you guys are over thinking it.

I do like the different ballistics for Mil Surp vs Civi ammo. Thumbs up on that!

Edited by RyBo

I would love if the PKM was ingame. Only thing I would want to add to help make it harder is of course rarity and the ability to become much slower and item weight. Anything else like this "can't sprint while equipped, can't shoot while moving, firing from hip only while standing, using ironsights only possible if it's deployed" sounds really imprudent and unrealistic. I know I know, "But ermahgerd this game ain't supposed to be realistic!" Some realism doesn't hurt the darn game. 

Some people don't want it cos it's military, I don't care, it's a common gun and it fits the setting, it shoul be in, period. It should have its drawbacks, would you want to carry one around for kilometers every day if you could have a lighter rifle instead? Neither would I, it's meant to be used to support others and with support from others, a rifle or carbine would be superior for the lone survivor and the game should reflect this.

Also the amount of ammo you would have to carry effectively use it would also be a problem.

Also the amount of ammo you would have to carry effectively use it would also be a problem.

Not really, you just would have to drop dem can of extra beans!

If they put it in they will need to put in weight and handling systems first. Not just massive recoil, it needs to sway and shudder as you try to sight down it. They would also need to add a realistic time for filling mags. You can't fill double stacked 30/30 mags instantly, and filling up a 100/200 round belt and box for a PKM should take quite a while, if you even manage to find that much ammo.

I would see it more as being a weapon you find, supply and fix up over time and mount it to your truck or an emplacement in your fortification.

Also, overheating. You better be able to melt that barrel.

Considering all these weapons plus more are in Arma already, I'm not sure why everyone is so concerned and interested in making DayZ into a firearm simulator. Go ahead, put it in. Whoever is firing it is going to call every zombie on the map, and I hope Dean reaches that 5000+ zombie aspiration...

If they put it in they will need to put in weight and handling systems first. Not just massive recoil, it needs to sway and shudder as you try to sight down it. They would also need to add a realistic time for filling mags. You can't fill double stacked 30/30 mags instantly, and filling up a 100/200 round belt and box for a PKM should take quite a while, if you even manage to find that much ammo.

I would see it more as being a weapon you find, supply and fix up over time and mount it to your truck or an emplacement in your fortification.

Also, overheating. You better be able to melt that barrel.

Recoil when standing and firing crouched should be relatively high but when deployed on the ground or rested on a surface the recoil is super light on the pkm.

The weight of the gun itself makes the recoil super manageable but that same weight makes it unwieldy since it fatigues your arms so much.

Finding 7.62x54r ammo for it should not be a problem however that ammo is plentiful all over the world it has been mass produced by nearly half the globe for over 100 years.