alexeistukov

The Community's List of Suggested Weapons for Dayz Standalone (Version: 1.29)

I don't think it should be in. It's just doesn't suit the atmosphere. I'm not saying the M4, Blaze or any of the pistols other than the P1 and CR75 fit the setting but this isn't what we should be seeing.

Unless you can link me to valid evidence that the SUB2000 is popular in , oh let's say, the Czech Republic then I think it shouldn't be in. (Valid evidence for me includes gun shops listing them in advertisement, Police seizure with them in the photos and stuff like that)

Isn't Czechoslovakia just the Czech republic and Slovakia now?

Also the lower only decides whether or not the Ar is a pistol or a rifle in legal terms (in America). In the apocalypse laws about barrel length won't matter. Therefore the Lower should only decide full or semi auto.

Well it is, but both countries see high adaptation of the weapon.  

Also, good point on the lower... so yeah.  Just semi / auto lower.

Sounds cool, but the game has a lot of other things left to do that would make it more fun than an M4 simulator.

Well it wouldn't be an M4 simulator by any means, obviously not everyone would like the AR-15 platform, and they would hardly be the only rifles available.  Or the most common - I'd think they'd be slightly less common than an SKS for the common populace given geography.  

I don't think it should be in. It's just doesn't suit the atmosphere. I'm not saying the M4, Blaze or any of the pistols other than the P1 and CR75 fit the setting but this isn't what we should be seeing.

Unless you can link me to valid evidence that the SUB2000 is popular in , oh let's say, the Czech Republic then I think it shouldn't be in. (Valid evidence for me includes gun shops listing them in advertisement, Police seizure with them in the photos and stuff like that)

No, I can't.  Should that matter?  My understanding is the Czech Republic has a high level of gun enthusiasts.  Would the addition of the SUB-2000 (an inexpensive but innovative little survivor's gun) really be so far beyond your suspension of disbelief, that it would ruin your emersion?  Please don't take that mockingly.  Just asking.

No, I can't.  Should that matter?  My understanding is the Czech Republic has a high level of gun enthusiasts.  Would the addition of the SUB-2000 (an inexpensive but innovative little survivor's gun) really be so far beyond your suspension of disbelief, that it would ruin your emersion?  Please don't take that mockingly.  Just asking.

It does matter. Well to me and probably many others.

I will point this out to you though, when was the last time you saw/heard/read about a SUB-200 being used/shot/imported to anywhere other than the USA? I'd expect an FN FAL to be there before this firearm.

One problem. (Lead developers have talked about this) Giving 1 weapon the ability to fire majority of the ammunition in-game and complete modular-capability can cause a disruption in weapon balance.

Funny thing. I was talking to a guy a few months ago about this weapon. From his point of view (if I can remember right), he said the weapon is fun to shoot, but he wouldn't bet his life on one.

I agree with the other person above me. I see this having no place in DayZ.

One problem. (Lead developers have talked about this) Giving 1 weapon the ability to fire majority of the ammunition in-game and complete modular-capability can cause a disruption in weapon balance.

Weapon balance or weapon variety?  

On weapon balance I highly disagree - it would hardly be unbalanced in comparison to many of the other guns.  It's not like it fires faster or does more damage, now does it?  Also keep in mind most would be direct impingement - known for being higher maintenance and less durable than the AK and SKS.  

When (i hope when and not if on basis of realism) guns spawn with at least one magazine, it won't matter much on that point either - not to mention you need a different magazine for each of the four ammo types I listed.  

weapon variety, perhaps to a degree, but honestly I don't see it being that much more than the present rush 2 grab M4 in the case of PvP players.  Survivors on the other hand take whatever they can get, sure the AR-15 is probably more suited for such players, but it's no different from whenever said survivor finds an SKS or Mosin.  Since the AR fires as fast as the SKS in semi, and the only way you'd get a full auto lower is if you find an M4 anyhow.  In comparison. the SKS offers the same fire rate, same top damage with a 20 inch barrel, (AR-15 24 inch barrels would give a slight accuracy advantage)  and would be more reliable, and a Mosin would be more accurate, have higher damage, and again have higher durability.   A sporter 22 would have more common magazines, and again, higher reliability.  We can go down the list, but the AR-15 would be by no means the end-all of things to grab.  

The only thing that it would be is something for end-game PvPers to hunt down parts for in order to customize their gun a bit more for their playstyle - hunting down that 24 inch barrel to use as a faster firing DMR or that 8 inch barrel to give a stronger short range punch than an MP5 at the cost of insane recoil / dispersion with rifle cartridges.  

And as things go, carrying multiple upper receivers would take up most of your inventory space.  I'd say an 8 inch length upper would take up 2x3 or 2x4 inventory slots, and it would only get worse from there for the longer barrels.  So realistically a survivor might be carrying two different rifle uppers.  (which would still take up a considerable amount of storage space)  

Both actually. For starters, you have a gun that can fire majority of the ammunition in the game. After that, what would be the point of adding in new weapons? There's not, since we then have a weapon that can utilize any kind of ammunition (besides .45 and .380). As I said, the devs have already discussed this, and their answer was no due to it's high potential to rule out every other weapon as useless.

Both actually. For starters, you have a gun that can fire majority of the ammunition in the game. After that, what would be the point of adding in new weapons? There's not, since we then have a weapon that can utilize any kind of ammunition (besides .45 and .380). As I said, the devs have already discussed this, and their answer was no due to it's high potential to rule out every other weapon as useless.

"point of adding in other weapons"

1. Realism

2. Other weapons are more accurate / fire faster / are more reliable / are more durable / are more easily found / niche ammunition / have larger magazines.  i.e. weapon differences.

3. Variety is the spice of life

"devs have already discussed this"  Link / source?  Haven't seen this.

"rule out every other weapon as useless"  Obviously not.  Min-maxers will get more out of other weapons, survivors will find others more durable and easier to find, etc.   

"use every type of ammunition except..."  And 9 x 39 mm SP-5, and 5.45mm, and... I can go on.  There is a lot of ammunition planned to be added that it won't be able to chamber, so given what it looks like -right now- it will at best chamber half, if not a third of ammo types. 

- also even if the customization is turned down, would you be opposed to just a semi-auto AR-15 in 5.56 NATO?  Asking your opinion seeing how we have the SKS and AK but no semi-auto companion to the M4, so if nothing else there's that bit I can see.  (and again, realism I can push here.)

"point of adding in other weapons"

1. Realism

2. Other weapons are more accurate / fire faster / are more reliable / are more durable / are more easily found / niche ammunition / have larger magazines.  i.e. weapon differences.

3. Variety is the spice of life

"devs have already discussed this"  Link / source?  Haven't seen this.

"rule out every other weapon as useless"  Obviously not.  Min-maxers will get more out of other weapons, survivors will find others more durable and easier to find, etc.   

"use every type of ammunition except..."  And 9 x 39 mm SP-5, and 5.45mm, and... I can go on.  There is a lot of ammunition planned to be added that it won't be able to chamber, so given what it looks like -right now- it will at best chamber half, if not a third of ammo types. 

- also even if the customization is turned down, would you be opposed to just a semi-auto AR-15 in 5.56 NATO?  Asking your opinion seeing how we have the SKS and AK but no semi-auto companion to the M4, so if nothing else there's that bit I can see.  (and again, realism I can push here.)

I actually would be opposed to a AR-15.

I actually would be opposed to a AR-15.

If I may ask, why is this?

If I may ask, why is this?

What's the point of having two EXACTLY similar weapons with one having full-auto capability and the other not?

• Like 1

What's the point of having two EXACTLY similar weapons with one having full-auto capability and the other not?

First off, exactly and similar automatically are different points. 

Now for the main differences:

1. An AR-15's standard barrel length is 16 inches, compared to the M4's 14.5 inch standard barrel.   This means the AR 15 is more accurate in terms of ballistics.  Also the longer gas system creates less recoil and runs cleaner, thus more reliably for longer.

2. The operating mechanism is different between the rifles - hence the semi vs full auto capability. 

Secondly: 

-Realism

-variety is the spice of life

-because it is something civilians would have

-because it is something many police forces carry

-because it is -the- prepper rifle

Given you haven't made a repose to the prior statements either, I suppose you also oppose the SKS + AKM being in game at the same time, and the M1911+FNX 45, etc multiple guns of the same caliber / type in the game?  If this is the case, why not only have mosin rifles in the game as far as guns are concerned?  Or is that something you'd want?

Edited by Evaris

First off, exactly and similar automatically are different points. 

Now for the main differences:

1. An AR-15's standard barrel length is 16 inches, compared to the M4's 14.5 inch standard barrel.   This means the AR 15 is more accurate in terms of ballistics.  Also the longer gas system creates less recoil and runs cleaner, thus more reliably for longer.

2. The operating mechanism is different between the rifles - hence the semi vs full auto capability. 

Secondly: 

-Realism

-variety is the spice of life

-because it is something civilians would have

-because it is something many police forces carry

-because it is -the- prepper rifle

Given you haven't made a repose to the prior statements either, I suppose you also oppose the SKS + AKM being in game at the same time, and the M1911+FNX 45, etc multiple guns of the same caliber / type in the game?  If this is the case, why not only have mosin rifles in the game as far as guns are concerned?  Or is that something you'd want?

A longer barrel doesn't always grant you increased accuracy. By the way, the AKM / SKS and the m1911 / fnx 45 do use the same ammunition, but are different weapon platforms. The AR-15 and M4A1 are the same exact platform. See the difference? And I'm certain you'd most likely find a left-behind / imported M4A1 than an AR-15 in Chernarus.

Edited by SFRGaming

A longer barrel doesn't always grant you increased accuracy. By the way, the AKM / SKS and the m1911 / fnx 45 do use the same ammunition, but are different weapon platforms. The AR-15 and M4A1 are the same exact platform. See the difference? And I'm certain you'd most likely find a left-behind / imported M4A1 than an AR-15 in Chernarus.

1.  Does the weapon platform matter that much, really?  They're still two different guns, regardless.

2.  If we're basing Chernarus off the Czech Republic (which is what everything I've heard is it's closest real life comparison) then no, the AR-15 would be far more common, seeing as of all European states the Czech Republic has the highest adoption of the AR-15 platform, even having a notable local manufacturer of the rifle series.

1.  Does the weapon platform matter that much, really?  They're still two different guns, regardless.

2.  If we're basing Chernarus off the Czech Republic (which is what everything I've heard is it's closest real life comparison) then no, the AR-15 would be far more common, seeing as of all European states the Czech Republic has the highest adoption of the AR-15 platform, even having a notable local manufacturer of the rifle series.

If you compare in-game chernarus to IRL Czech, you'll see the in-game version is MUCH more rural.

And yes, weapon platform matters a lot. You're basically saying "Hey, let's have a M14 and a M1A in-game."  Both the same weapon platforms, both use the same ammunition, except the M14 has full-auto capability.

If you compare in-game chernarus to IRL Czech, you'll see the in-game version is MUCH more rural.

And yes, weapon platform matters a lot. You're basically saying "Hey, let's have a M14 and a M1A in-game."  Both the same weapon platforms, both use the same ammunition, except the M14 has full-auto capability.

I am aware it is more rural - however that fact is regardless, and a more rural area should have more guns rather than less, generally speaking.

I'd be fine with both quite honestly for the m14 and M1A as well.  Again, realism is a thing, and variety is the spice of life.  Both guns exist in real life - why not in game as well?

I am aware it is more rural - however that fact is regardless, and a more rural area should have more guns rather than less, generally speaking.

I'd be fine with both quite honestly for the m14 and M1A as well.  Again, realism is a thing, and variety is the spice of life.  Both guns exist in real life - why not in game as well?

Because it makes no sense to configure 2 weapons with the only difference being full-auto. Things like that can clutter the size of the game.

If you have ever made something that you want other people to download and use, you'll know that you want the file sizes to be as small as possible.

Edited by SFRGaming

Because it makes no sense to configure 2 weapons with the only difference being full-auto. Things like that can clutter the size of the game.

If you have ever made something that you want other people to download and use, you'll know that you want the file sizes to be as small as possible.

In that case why isn't the game running 8 bit textures?  It's not clutter if you're playing the realism card, or it could be what would be considered atmospheric clutter.  Why else have papers strewn about, rotten food, etc?  It's all about immersion. 

Also, I don't worry about filesize in my mods I've made for other games - my files are always what they need to be in order to be appealing in my mind, and I add everything that I can think of to in my mods.  Granted, my modding experience is limited to Dwarf fortress and Fallout 3/NV, but regardless your statement is not an absolute.

Furthermore, 1TB harddrives are rather cheap these days, and the average internet download speed worldwide is ~20 Mbps.   Adding 10-15 seconds to a download for a gun isn't a big deal in my opinion when it adds to the realism, variety, and choice of the game.  (which it does)

Edited by Evaris

In that case why isn't the game running 8 bit textures?  It's not clutter if you're playing the realism card, or it could be what would be considered atmospheric clutter.  Why else have papers strewn about, rotten food, etc?  It's all about immersion. 

Also, I don't worry about filesize in my mods I've made for other games - my files are always what they need to be in order to be appealing in my mind, and I add everything that I can think of to in my mods.  Granted, my modding experience is limited to Dwarf fortress and Fallout 3/NV, but regardless your statement is not an absolute.

Furthermore, 1TB harddrives are rather cheap these days, and the average internet download speed worldwide is ~20 Mbps.   Adding 10-15 seconds to a download for a gun isn't a big deal in my opinion when it adds to the realism, variety, and choice of the game.  (which it does)

Immersion doesn't necessarily include having 2 items that only have 1 minor difference.

This carried on a lot longer than I anticipated. 

Immersion doesn't necessarily include having 2 items that only have 1 minor difference.

This carried on a lot longer than I anticipated. 

1.  Except there's not just one on technical terms, also there is the difference between civilian and military obviously.  You might find an AR-15 in a person's house, but not an M4 - as the M4 will stay helicopter only.  It also removes the automatic recognition distinction - on PvP terms it would give a moment or two hesitation for a sniper or an ambusher as for figuring out the level of danger they are dealing with.  As just one point.

2.  It happens.

Edited by Evaris

Why do we bother keeping the SKS in the game when we can use an AKM? They fire the same calibre and the AKM is automatic. Same logic, right?

Just because a weapon will exist that you prefer over the current one carried doesn't mean it makes everything else useless.

M4A1 selective fire rifle is what we have and we don't need a semi-auto AR-15 because we aren't in the US where they are so common you can buy one at a grocery store.

M4A1 selective fire rifle is what we have and we don't need a semi-auto AR-15 because we aren't in the US where they are so common you can buy one at a grocery store.

Except again, you know, the region of europe this game is based on has nearly the same love for the AR-15 as we have in the USA.  (and is no harder to obtain an AR-15 in said countries than in the USA if we're being realistic.)