Sign in to follow this  
Beetlejuice (DayZ)

A new idea to stop the "kill-on-sight" mentality

Hey DayZ Team. It's cool to play your game so early, but in my opinion the one thing that really needed a workover didnt get it at all.

I am of course talking about the issue with people who just shoot you on sight. I had an idea about that without losing any realism nor having constrictions on anything you can do in DayZ.

The idea came to me when i found those useless books in Cherno lying all around the houses for no reason. Maybe this idea has been stated already but I'm trying to help out.

So the basic idea is that you can take one of those books and put like some sort of skill to it. For example: You find a book and it's about repairing cars, you read it and only then you are able to fix cars.

Another example would be that you can only do blood transfusions if you have read a certain book.

There are many more examples for this but i think you get the idea.

If you have certain skills on certain people, which you need to get further in the game, you will also need the person to do so.

So it makes people overall a lot more dependend on each other.

I haven't wrapped my mind around what should happen with the read books. So far all i can imagine is they should be a consumable good, so that they just vanish after you've read them. But there could be another solution of course.

That's just one idea about how to make people more dependend on each other and i hope you like it.

Greetings

Beetlejuice

• Like 2

I read a book about killing people for their loot.

NY Times bestseller. 

22 weeks straight.

• Like 9

Not going to happen. The devs have stated that this game will focus on player skill, not character skill, and thus won't have roleplaying elements like this. 

• Like 4

Well it's not like your aiming is gonna get better through you reading this book. But to be able to repair stuff like cars, it takes some knowledge.

And isn't it more realistic to have at least read a book before you are magically able to fix a car because you found a toolbox?

Stopping KoS is like stopping racism. As ignorant as it may seem, it may take another thousand years to get rid of it.

• Like 1

search function. try it some time.

Also, there is not a realistic way to limit ones character with real world knowledge. Since the game is both immersive and meta and player skill == character skill, to quote Ralph Wiggum, "That's Unpossible".

How is this idea "unpossible" to realise?

I'll state again, the game is both immersive and meta. Player knowledge == character knowledge. You cannot then limit someones character while not limiting their actual knowledge.

Examples: I know landnav and Chern almost like the back of my hand. My character does because I do even when he's a freshspawn. How in your system, would you limit this?

I'm a medic. How could you limit one area of my skillset while still remaining immersive and meta?

Once vehicles are added, how could you limit an actual mechanics knowledge to make repairs?

Or a pilot to fly

My point is, you cannot limit a characters knowledge and still remain the same game. The entire premise and sandbox style of the game would be altered and changed.

Edited by xRann
  • Like 2

KoS is something that any "system" will not really get rid of, worst case scenario the idea's proposed increase KoS to prevent people from having functioning vehicles and trained medics etc.  If I could lay claim to resources in this fashion aka by making it so no-one else can use them why wouldn't I?  a small clan could KoS everyone and harvest all the car's, helicopters, books and beans on the server. 

In stage 2 of this scenario the clan would have all the books and the members would have players who don't participate in active combat because they have read all the books and they are too valuable to lose.

By this point the only people who could knock them out of dominance on the server is another clan who has raped a different server in a similar fashion, killing everyone who dares set foot on it.

While you mean well those of you reading this know it's exactly what would happen, in DayZ we are not contained by normal rules and as much as we'd like to think everyone will play nice, a portion will see a way to rise above the peons and carve out a nice little paradise in a zombie apocalypse.

While Dean has not said it directly, he has said that he want a rise in improvised weapons and reduced spawns for the traditional gun's but that is something we will have to wait for some time to see how it plays out.

My point is, you cannot limit a characters knowledge and still remain the same game. The entire premise and sandbox style of the game would be altered and changed.

Well, so you think it's realistic to spawn and have all the knowledge about HOW to do things like blood transfusions correctly and HOW to fix a car correctly and HOW to fly a plane correctly?

Well, some things in this game are immersive of course, but seriously... not everybody is an astronaut with rocket shoes who can do ANYTHING! Most parts would stay immersive, like it is in ANY game. The parts you described though are immersive, but knowing how to do a proper blood transfusion isn't. It simply isn't. All you do is press a button and your character does it with a handshake or 2.

Greetings

Edited by Beetlejuice

Well, so you think it's realistic to spawn and have all the knowledge about HOW to do things like blood transfusions correctly and HOW to fix a car correctly and HOW to fly a plane correctly?

Well, some things in this game are immersive of course, but seriously... not everybody is an astronaut with rocket shoes who can do ANYTHING! Most parts would stay immersive, like it is in ANY game. The parts you described though are immersive, but knowing how to do a proper blood transfusion isn't. It simply isn't. All you do is press a button and your character does it with a handshake or 2.

Greetings

Please refer back to my previous post because I don't think you understand what I mean. You want a different game. From the mod to SA, the game is what it is. You are more than welcome to suggest it, as others have already, but I'm just informing you that it's probably never going to happen because it would alter the game so drastically away from what it is.

Greetings

if were going down the realism tracks they have to rework bandaging a bullet wound. also a ton of other things this game is not a simulator. and if it was going to be it would just be a combat sim like arma.

Just no. There is no need to stop KOS, and bringing character skills into dayz is a terrible idea.

• Like 1

Thank God because I didnt want this to turn in World of Warcraft. Sew your pants to pristine, read a book to learn how to craft an m4, use the auction. F that.

• Like 1

I'm willing the bet the people who are adamant about the "stopping" of KoS/SoS are probably the people whose average survival time is in the lower percentile lol

• Like 5

Thank God because I didnt want this to turn in World of Warcraft. Sew your pants to pristine, read a book to learn how to craft an m4, use the auction. F that.

"F" that? No no no, FUCK, that. I don't want DayZ to turn into War Z, oh, sorry, Infestation. Infestation was supposed to have skills and xp points, but they were left out.

Edited by AntonioAJC
  • Like 3

i never talked about any experience points tbh.

KoS is a real problem and you know it. It's just not cool to encourage people to hide on roofs to snipe around random people although they can't even loot them.

Read the topic before you state your opinion please.

My idea only is to make people more reliant on each other, which would be the case in a real zombie apocalypse.

Nobody would just walk around shooting people on sight when they can actually help him survive!!!

• Like 1

i never talked about any experience points tbh.

KoS is a real problem and you know it. It's just not cool to encourage people to hide on roofs to snipe around random people although they can't even loot them.

Read the topic before you state your opinion please.

My idea only is to make people more reliant on each other, which would be the case in a real zombie apocalypse.

Nobody would just walk around shooting people on sight when they can actually help him survive!!!

In regards to your last sentence. Yes, there will always be people who "want to watch the world burn".

In time with more additonal features I'm sure "KoS" will decrease a bit, but you have to understand something. Killing, whether on sight or not, will always happen and there's no reason to try and stop it. The very nature of this game is that you can/may/will die very often by the choices you make. Even if you believe your choice was "good" or correct, it can and will get you killed.

You also need to understand that the mentalitly of killing on sight would indeed be rampant, as it is in game. Due to the nature of human survival instincts we're left with two very base and primary responses to precieved threats. Fight or flight. Killing on sight is not a problem. It's a legitimate, albeit boring, playstyle. Even if you don't agree with it, there is nothing to "fix"

Not going to happen. The devs have stated that this game will focus on player skill, not character skill, and thus won't have roleplaying elements like this. 

Roleplaying would kill KoS but, meh...I like how DayZ is evolving anyway

you know one of the earliest examples of a handshake known to man is a statue of two soldiers? Whats interesting about it? they are using their empty "sword" hands.. If only there was some kind of lesson could be drawn from that, but, alas as there are no swords in the game I guess it's of no use.

Edited by Calibre

Maybe part of the issue is that people run to the same cities spawn after spawn, sprinting around like they are on too much PCP, looking for something to go shoot or bash peoples heads in with... I guess what I am saying is don't be so oblivious to whats around you, and try staying out of sight a bit...  

Enough of these threads about KoS already. Every single day there is a stupid thread complaining about KoS and how it should be "fixed" somewhere on these forums. If you don't want to deal with that aspect of the game, don't play it, simple. What, you think the real world is going to be all perfect harmony and peace when shit hits the fan? If people are sitting there getting killed over low prices during Black Friday, I could only imagine what people will be killed for during an apocalyptic situation where almost every supply is scarce. Think about it... 

• Like 2

KoS is a real problem and you know it. 

No, its really not. Shocker, people can play how they want.