Wayze

Do we want a reward for surviving?

Do we want a reward for surviving?  

346 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want a reward for surviving?

• Yes
    • No

"This game absolutely has to have something beyond gear. "

As many people have pointed out, surviving is its own reward.

"There is absolutely no reason not to do this."

1 reason, is personal choice, e.g. I do not want to do this.

Surviving has no reward. It doesn't matter if you live 70 days or 1. It makes no difference. There is currently no goal or reason to survive other than acquiring gear. But once you are past that then what? This should be addressed.

Edited by TripX7

With the exception of beards as some indication as to how long you've managed to survive, I'd say no to any rewards as surviving is it's own reward. That and fat purple epic loot.

Edited by Woodland Creature

With the exception of beards as some indication as to how long you've managed to survive, I'd say no to any rewards as surviving is it's own reward. That and fat purple epic loot.

Can someone explain how surviving is it's own reward? You get to keep your character alive yes, but there is no more progression past gear. Your character doesn't grow in any way or form. We shouldn't be using our imaginations to fill in a lack of progression we need actual content. If you can't progress in the game anymore for your character, it gets boring.  

Maybe they should implement some type of "reward" for surviving for a period of time.  Like old age where your character gets slower, vision is hindered, hearing goes, aim is shaky, etc.  :D

Can someone explain how surviving is it's own reward? You get to keep your character alive yes, but there is no more progression past gear. Your character doesn't grow in any way or form. We shouldn't be using our imaginations to fill in a lack of progression we need actual content. If you can't progress in the game anymore for your character, it gets boring.  

look at it this way, the first few times you quite literally wash up on the beach with no clue as to what is going on around around you, then end up handcuffed, stripped, and force fed rotten fruit and killed. Now when I wash up on the beach i'm practically a Chernorusian as I know the map backwards, know roads etc etc. All gained through player knowledge, so there is less chance I should end up..dead? the reward for surviving is good health in this game..

Edited by Calibre
  • Like 1

If its beards or other cosmetic features, then yes.

If it improves your character in any way, then no.

^^This

It must only be cosmetic. 

Surviving has no reward. It doesn't matter if you live 70 days or 1. It makes no difference. There is currently no goal or reason to survive other than acquiring gear. But once you are past that then what? This should be addressed.

In case you didnt read the entire thread. Many people disagree with that view point.

I'm in favor of adding a new vote to the poll: Yes but only specifically for cosmetic rewards and/or high end achievements. 

There's too many 'Yes' polls without specifically describing -what- players want from this game. 

Edited by ImDeafDontShootMe

look at it this way, the first few times you quite literally wash up on the beach with no clue as to what is going on around around you, then end up handcuffed, stripped, and force fed rotten fruit and killed. Now when I wash up on the beach i'm practically a Chernorusian as I know the map backwards, know roads etc etc. All gained through player knowledge, so there is less chance I should end up..dead? the reward for surviving is good health in this game..

That has more to do with just playing the game and less to do with surviving for x amount of time I think. Because you can die a million times and still get better at the game and learn the map/spawns, etc. The reward for playing the game is player knowledge but that doesn't play into valuing survival at all really, it doesn't have an effect on that. The only reason people value survival is because they don't want to lose their stuff.

Some people have talked about leaderboards and stat tracking. Not a bad idea but not very many people will care about that kind of thing. Your character should get more valuable to you the longer he survives. I hate this kind of concept usually but it's so obvious in a game with permadeath in it.

I want to have a beard, and I also want to be able to take the pinky or ear from my kills, with nametags on them of course. or dogtags would be cool. Get dogtags for surviving for over 10 days and then you become hunted for your tags as a trophy for your assassin!

Reward for what? doing what you’re supposed to do?

I get it tho. We live in an entitlement society where people expect something for just breathing.

If you need bells and whistles and shiny achievements you might be playing the wrong game.

• Like 2

That has more to do with just playing the game and less to do with surviving for x amount of time I think. Because you can die a million times and still get better at the game and learn the map/spawns, etc. The reward for playing the game is player knowledge but that doesn't play into valuing survival at all really, it doesn't have an effect on that. The only reason people value survival is because they don't want to lose their stuff.

Some people have talked about leaderboards and stat tracking. Not a bad idea but not very many people will care about that kind of thing. Your character should get more valuable to you the longer he survives. I hate this kind of concept usually but it's so obvious in a game with permadeath in it.

if you're dying a million times in a survival game then you're doing it wrong, no? there is no score / stats there is only narrative, you drive your own story, it's going to take someone new to the game many attempts to get much further than the beach, you wanna get fit and healthy & have supplies to defend / attack - survive, each game a new chapter in your story, I've over 300 hours played in the game and I've been killed once by another player and have never been killed on the hardcore shard it's that long since I played on normal I couldn't even tell you where my character is. My story continues, I don't need stats  i'm just enjoying my own wee story and adventures & staying away from being the guy handcuffed & poisoned while telling everyone they're friendly..

I have just came back from apocalypse and ive been re-thinking this. I might not need reward but my character might want to live in peace and love. So what about if my character lives long enough he finds way to live happily rest of hes life. Maybe he goes to live in mountains to small cabin with hes survivor lady or maybe he gets another ship of survivors and travel to small south island where is no zeds and enough food.

After that as a player I would start again with freshspawn and try to survive again against the odds.

You mean less drive to survive, as your life has no value at all (you can go and pick up the gear from your base/tent).

DayZ is kind of a loot simulation. It's all about loot, loot, loot. Loot here, loot there. Loot is everything. Loot! It's no f*cking sandbox game, because the only thing you can do is looting and killing other players and zombies with your loot.

You're forgetting that you still have to get to the point where you can regear from your tent properly, and that'll take ages. Also you'll wanna put your tent in a hard to reach place, as otherwise someone else will just take all your shit, and steal your car. So when you die it'll be a long walk to the sticks to pick up more stuff. 

tents aren't magic gearboxes, you actually have to put the gear in them, so if you just go and gear from your tent and die 3 times in a row, you aren't gonna have any gear left. I don't really understand what you're talking about. 

The good thing about tents is that they aren't safe. They're in the open world, and anyone can access them, how would they cause people to value their time less? they still had to put the effort in, in the first place. 

Reward for what? doing what you’re supposed to do?

I get it tho. We live in an entitlement society where people expect something for just breathing.

If you need bells and whistles and shiny achievements you might be playing the wrong game.

So you would be ok with guns being rare as hens teeth and limited to Mosins? I'm all for that...

if you're dying a million times in a survival game then you're doing it wrong, no? there is no score / stats there is only narrative, you drive your own story, it's going to take someone new to the game many attempts to get much further than the beach, you wanna get fit and healthy & have supplies to defend / attack - survive, each game a new chapter in your story, I've over 300 hours played in the game and I've been killed once by another player and have never been killed on the hardcore shard it's that long since I played on normal I couldn't even tell you where my character is. My story continues, I don't need stats  i'm just enjoying my own wee story and adventures & staying away from being the guy handcuffed & poisoned while telling everyone they're friendly..

Ok you died once, congratulations. I got shot about 5 seconds after I spawned on the beach once. lol All people do when they get good gear is KOS. Not everybody, but alot of players. It's because they are bored, it's because there is nothing more to progress towards. I know that gear will be much much harder to acquire when the game is actually released but there is still a higher value on loot than your own life.  

Everybody values gear over their characters. Is this a good idea? Players should care about their characters more. If authenticity is a goal, this has to change. But it also makes the game less run and gunny, less random KOS, etc. 

Character progression kills several birds with one stone. I think people think "character progression = grind". There are plenty of ways to avoid that and many of them have been discussed. It certainly would add a little more depth and longevity and more realism. It would also make your character more valuable to you the longer you survive. Dope.

Everybody does not value their gear over their characters.

Also I have not read one character progression idea besides hair growth or worn clothing that does not have massive flaws in it.

Perhaps you would like to suggest something ?

Ok you died once, congratulations. I got shot about 5 seconds after I spawned on the beach once. lol All people do when they get good gear is KOS. Not everybody, but alot of players. It's because they are bored, it's because there is nothing more to progress towards. I know that gear will be much much harder to acquire when the game is actually released but there is still a higher value on loot than your own life.  

Everybody values gear over their characters. Is this a good idea? Players should care about their characters more. If authenticity is a goal, this has to change. But it also makes the game less run and gunny, less random KOS, etc. 

Character progression kills several birds with one stone. I think people think "character progression = grind". There are plenty of ways to avoid that and many of them have been discussed. It certainly would add a little more depth and longevity and more realism. It would also make your character more valuable to you the longer you survive. Dope.

Maybe some, but most do it because they want to do it. These are the same people who go out of their way to a PvE server to kill people.

I'm telling you, if you make a valuable reward for surviving, everyone will kill on sight.

Ok you died once, congratulations. I got shot about 5 seconds after I spawned on the beach once.  lol All people do when they get good gear is KOS.  Not everybody, but alot of players.

I'm sorry but what evidence do you have of that? the word of useless players that die a million deaths? there are hundreds, maybe even thousands of Dayz videos now on youtube of fully kitted out players not KOS'ing..

• Like 1

Surviving is the reward for surviving. The rest you make up as you see fit as you go along. Interaction with other players and the enviroment is all there is.

That's ok IRL, but this is a game, not a survival simulator, so rewards would be nice to have fun, 'cause that's the point of a game. Steam Achievemnts could do the trick

I'm sorry but what evidence do you have of that? the word of useless players that die a million deaths? there are hundreds, maybe even thousands of Dayz videos now on youtube of fully kitted out players not KOS'ing..

It's just like any other game dude. Once progress stops there is nothing left to do, so what do players do? Cause mayhem and chaos. I know there are plenty of players that don't KOS, I'm simply saying alot of KOS is due to just being bored and having no ability to advance in the game.

Maybe some, but most do it because they want to do it. These are the same people who go out of their way to a PvE server to kill people.

I'm telling you, if you make a valuable reward for surviving, everyone will kill on sight.

You are saying that if death is harsher, people will play less cautiously? The reason Day Z plays the way it does, with all these intense interactions that get your blood pumping is because of permadeath. It's because there is a penalty for dying. If you make that penalty harsher it will only add to that tension driven gameplay.  It will reduce the amount of players just fucking about even more.

This isn't an mmo or whatever. No skills. Just no

Congratulations on creating the dullest game ever.  If players have no reason to interact with one another beyond entertainment before they shoot one another in the back of the head, or to troll each other; this game will be boring as fuck and will remain pointless as it is right now.  Sorry but if there's absolutely no threat or reason to kill NPCs, the game will be boring.  If there's no skills or professions to actually give characters any customization or characteristics, all other players will be are threats to your survival, so why wouldn't you kill them on sight?

Sorry but an upgraded graphics engine isn't going to cut it for 1.3 million people.  If they don't seriously increase the depth of this game, it's going to crater hard.  Item damage and quality isn't depth, it means absolutely nothing beyond anything above Ruined right now.  If someone can't become better at medical procedures and be able to properly fix legs, we're just expected to right click a morphine pen and have fixed legs indefinitely?  Until the "morphine wears off" and we have to pop another?  Come on, think bigger than that.