leefriendfield

POLL Should The Timeout Timer be Increased, Untouched, Reduced or Removed?

Timeout Timer  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Should The Timeout Timer be Increased, Untouched, Reduced or Removed?

• Keep The Timeout Timer for People Hopping Servers
    • Reduce The Timeout Timer for People Hopping Servers
    • Remove The Timeout Timer for People Hopping Servers
    • Increase The Timeout Timer for People Hopping Servers
    • Give Me Tactical Bacon pic.twitter.com/CqOTmwSnqj

Player interactions is the driving force of DayZ, sure zombies could do with some improvement, but game mechanics will never ever be as complex and interesting as dealing with other players and this being a survival game, it's frustrating the player base, when they witness players escape death, being rewarded by disconnecting from the game. I understand it's not a big deal for you, because you can afford a mule account, to carry your gear or use as a second life, if you lose a firefight, but to the rest of us, it's a pretty big deal.

That's not even the point I am trying to make.  It's the 100,000 Desync people are getting from joining servers because they aren't optimized properly with the Hive or whatever their coding problems are.  That's why you see complaints because most people are trying to log into their "favorite" server list and have to sit in the 300 second login screen because of desync!!!  :( 

For the record I am not against the log out timer IDEA but the way it's executed at the moment isn't the greatest.  I still think that if they have bedrolls in the game they should act as your log out queue. 

Edited by Lidskjalf

Set up an IOS like parameter that automatically deletes the game from your Steam account if you re-log more than 3 times.

No, but seriously, the timer should only be low for the first 1-2 relogs, after that I don't think any shorter than 30 minutes does any good.

Edited by Chaingunfighter

I like this poll, it's basically asking combat loggers/server hoppers to show themselves. 

• Like 2

Should be increased 30 seconds is far too low.

300 seconds sounds about fine.

Should be increased 30 seconds is far too low.

300 seconds sounds about fine.

I'm pretty sure that they poll is about the 300 second wait time when logging into a server if you haven't been playing on a previous server for more than 30 minutes.  The 30 second timer is that time a ghost of your character stays in game after you logout.  Are you suggesting that a ghost of your character should be in-game for 5 minutes?

Increase it. The maximum of five minutes is a good start but I am sure there are server hoppers out there who only find it to be an inconvenience compared to the time they might otherwise have to spend looking for gear legitimately, I say allow it to go all the way up to an hour or more with persistent server-hopping behaviour.

I think the timer should count down before you leave the server you were on, not before you join the new one. Sitting in front of a black screen is a pain in the arse, but if you could still have limited vision and sound while you were exiting (simulate going to sleep), you could react if you needed to defend yourself or move - but this would cancel the exit timer.

Thereby, you'd have to find somewhere safe to exit, and it'd prevent people vanishing as soon as they got in more trouble than they could deal with.

(oh, and I voted to increase the timer)

Edited by Pillock

I think it should stay the same for the initial penalty, but increase dramatically with every consecutive server hop.

• Like 2

Well considering I already found a work around to the timer I dont really care if they make it an hour.

Well considering I already found a work around to the timer I dont really care if they make it an hour.

I hope you have filed a bug report or messaged/Tweeted to the devs or something.

Keep it where it is.

Only tweak I would suggest is it should detect if you're trying to connect to the same server as last time.

That's NOT server hopping behavior.

Edited by DoctorWhy
  • Like 2

I hope you have filed a bug report or messaged/Tweeted to the devs or something.

I'm not going to waste my time, someone else will find it and post it to the bug tracker for everyone to see

I'm not going to waste my time, someone else will find it and post it to the bug tracker for everyone to see

So what, you just came to brag about how you found a way to server hop anyway? 

Edited by solodude23

So what, you just came to brag about how you found a way to server hop anyway? 

Pretty much letting people know to try ways around it and if someone nice enough to post it on the bug tracker does thats good until then I'll just enjoy hopping.

Pretty much letting people know to try ways around it and if someone nice enough to post it on the bug tracker does thats good until then I'll just enjoy hopping.

and i will enjoy shooting you in the face if i find you.

• Like 2

and i will enjoy shooting you in the face if i find you.

Unfortunately you probably wont find hoppers... They move from server to server until they have tons of loot, and then open their backpack and stare at it a lot. Loving it so much that if it is threatened, they leave the game instantly, only to come back later to stare at it again. Alone. 

I like to imagine them as tiny little leprechauns... Quiet, sad little things, who's only real relationship is with their belongings. 

I wonder if leprechauns masturbate into their pot of gold?  :o

• Like 3

I like the direction its going in but also think they need to add to it when barricades and base building is implemented..

Which understandable its alpha and its a working progress. Just giving a heads up that people logging out next to a base, hopping on another server and moving 10 feet over, then logging back in to your server, putting them inside your barricades and base. Its going to cause issues if this is possible.

Only way I think this issue could be fixed in the future is on top of the current ghosting/server hopping fix. They will also need to make it so changing to a different server spawns you elsewhere on the map. Change servers too many times too soon and you lose all your gear and you are spawned at starter spawn points.

Obviously this should be a fix more so when item respawns are back in that changing servers so much should not be necessary. Would also stop people from just waiting out the timeout timer so they can just server hop to sit at miliary sites on multiple servers to loot them.

Edited by cels

I like the direction its going in but also think they need to add to it when barricades and base building is implemented..

Which understandable its alpha and its a working progress. Just giving a heads up that people logging out next to a base, hopping on another server and moving 10 feet over, then logging back in to your server, putting them inside your barricades and base. Its going to cause issues if this is possible.

Only way I think this issue could be fixed in the future is on top of the current ghosting/server hopping fix. They will also need to make it so changing to a different server spawns you elsewhere on the map. Change servers too many times too soon and you lose all your gear and you are spawned at starter spawn points.

Obviously this should be a fix more so when item respawns are back in that changing servers so much should not be necessary. Would also stop people from just waiting out the timeout timer so they can just server hop to sit at miliary sites on multiple servers to loot them.

Heres my simplest fix to the issue of ghosting into bases.

Buil in pricate hive servers.

TBH, combat logging and server hopping should not be the Dev's biggest concern.  They need to work the simple (yet an ongoing process) bugs like UI/gear interaction, server/player/zombie optimization, and so on.  I personally can stand the server hoppers and combat loggers until the right things get fixed first...

I personally can't stand it. Yes we bought into an Alpha and we are supposed to test bugs but we are also supposed to have fun, this is a game after all. If something helps me enjoy the game more, then I see no reason why it shouldn't be implemented.

Heres my simplest fix to the issue of ghosting into bases.

Buil in pricate hive servers.

Yeah that would work if the private hive is a single server.. Otherwise you still have the same issue. This would fix all the servers.

I hope you get glitched in wall until the next character wipe!