leefriendfield

POLL Should The Timeout Timer be Increased, Untouched, Reduced or Removed?

Timeout Timer  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Should The Timeout Timer be Increased, Untouched, Reduced or Removed?

• Keep The Timeout Timer for People Hopping Servers
    • Reduce The Timeout Timer for People Hopping Servers
    • Remove The Timeout Timer for People Hopping Servers
    • Increase The Timeout Timer for People Hopping Servers
    • Give Me Tactical Bacon pic.twitter.com/CqOTmwSnqj

As we know the Timeout Timer is a new concept that many people embrace and many people disapprove of. There are many reasons for and against the opinions of the Timeout Timer and I would like to hear your thoughts on it.

Edit: Thank you h0nkX for bringing up the idea of increasing the Timeout Timer I have added that option now.

Edit 2: The poll has been removed, I will add the poll back to this post.

Edited by LeeFriendField

Here's the deal.

We are testers. This is not a final product.

More so, we are guinea pigs, and this is experiment #1. Obviously it will need to be adjusted or changed entirely about the time zombie counts gets high, along with plenty of other factors. 

Here's the deal.

More so, we are guinea pigs, and this is experiment #1. Obviously it will need to be adjusted or changed entirely about the time zombie counts gets high, along with plenty of other factors. 

Its also important to recive information from the testers to better design and craft the product DayZ.

• Like 1

Haven't tried the timer, but I feel like I'll like it as opposed to getting killed by someone who is exploiting and doing things that could count as hacking if the game did not allow it. I would much rather wait five minutes to get on a server rather than die to an exploiter and lose hours of time to someone who either (1) takes all the loot and becomes a loot hoarder (2) suddenly teleports to hell upon entering combat (3) uses a teleportation device to always have the upper hand.

not cool to have a timeout after getting randomly kicked or dcing from the server

theres gotta be a better way of stopping server hopping for loot

The timer stays as is. Oh, and BACON!

I had to add the tactical bacon

• Like 1

Here's the deal.

We are guinea pigs, but ones who are able to speak and provide feedback. If there is something we like (or don't), we should say so.

• Like 2

Ironically, this login timer hasn't affected my play style at all.  I currently use two accounts, and while I try to dump loot off of my "bad" toon on to my "good" toon I still can do it repeatedly.  Now if I wanted to exploit this, I could server hop on a different server on a different account, therefore bypassing the whole point of having a login timer thus still can "server hop".  The way it is implemented is quite shoddy as it stands IMHO.  I've had a friend that has tried to just get on one server and play but was getting all fucked up from 100,000 server Desync, so he was being penalized for trying to join a server that he could actually "play" on.  I know that in my area our connection UP/DL time is quite bad but I've seen similar cases through the forums about people having the same problems with Desyncing so it's not just myself.  

TBH, combat logging and server hopping should not be the Dev's biggest concern.  They need to work the simple (yet an ongoing process) bugs like UI/gear interaction, server/player/zombie optimization, and so on.  I personally can stand the server hoppers and combat loggers until the right things get fixed first...

Edited by Lidskjalf
  • Like 4

LOL most people would hate the way i would like to have it which would be a 5 minute time out for logging ( you log and switch your game of instantly but ya toon stays in game for a whole 5 minutes so ya get in the shit and just run for a minute and log out not going to save ya next time you log in you will be dead cause the person will have hunted your now inactive toon down and killed ya.

I wouldnt have a server hop wait time at all id just have each character saved on the server ( private hive styles) bang no server hoping for loot etc etc if you want to play another server to play with friends no problem you start again and will meet them on the beach and when you go back to the other server your old character still waiting for you .

Yeah i know this would be real un popular but hey thats just my opinion but as this aint in the poll leave the timer as is it maxs out at 5 min wow that not a huge problem go make a coffee come back and your pretty much ready to go..

I like a good poll, when you have in your mind the answer and after pushing the button, you see that the majority voted for what you felt was the right choice!

i miss the option to vote for increasing the timer. <_<

Edited by Guest

leave the timer..

play a server for awhile no issue leaving an joining another....leave server to join another....you wait.

solves the ghosting problem to a point.

Poll is bias, no way to vote for an increased timer.

personally I think its fine so far.... my opinion.

I also see no reason to not increase it if people try to find an exploit.

not cool to have a timeout after getting randomly kicked or dcing from the server

theres gotta be a better way of stopping server hopping for loot

There is:

* remove the concept of a hive

* login to one gateway

* create more maps

* allow players to transfer to other maps by traversing the map boundaries

Bang, I just solved all the server hopping and geographical congestion plus I created more interesting work for rocket by requiring simple logic on all those new maps and so forth.

To be honest, after 30 million dollars I'm still WTF'n at this list:

- One instance of a Dayz Server Process requires one machine(virtual or otherwise)... (epic wut?)

- the Dayz Server Software doesn't support horizontal scaling, (it has no inter machine messaging bus)

- Dayz server isn't multithreaded

- Dayz Server doesn't transfer bulk data over http. Instead it uses some wierd ass protocol that affects all connected players experience.

Here is what needs to happen.

- stop focusing on windows server development. They're expensive and costly to manage on a large scale.

- stop using Java... it's bad.

- make the Arma3 Linux Server work. Fast.

- make sure the effort spent in the Arma 3 Linux Server is portable.

- Use that portable code in the Dayz Linux Server.

- Spend Most of the next 12 months increasing performance and security of the netcode.

- Support horziontal scalability

- Support faster databases like mongodb and redis

- use better messaging protocols than whatever it is currently.

Get all this going now, and you'll find that these silly demands for a half baked logout timer will solve themselves with better architecture.

Edited by airtonix
  • Like 4

Keep it.

Personally i think 5 minutes is too low a maximum, it should keep increasing for repeat offenders.

Edited by Fluxley

So...hard... not to click tactical bacon.. And I'm a vegetarian x.x

Keep the timers! For us players doing it right? It's a minor inconvenience at most.

currently in a 300 second timeout for switching between separate hives. Yes, needs work.

There will always be people jumping servers.

These guys will continue to do so, because for them it's not about the game, it's only about the gear. This will not stop them, from farming servers like locust and then switching to another, but it will inconvenience them and that's good enough for me.

Ironically, this login timer hasn't affected my play style at all.  I currently use two accounts, and while I try to dump loot off of my "bad" toon on to my "good" toon I still can do it repeatedly.  Now if I wanted to exploit this, I could server hop on a different server on a different account, therefore bypassing the whole point of having a login timer thus still can "server hop".  The way it is implemented is quite shoddy as it stands IMHO.  I've had a friend that has tried to just get on one server and play but was getting all fucked up from 100,000 server Desync, so he was being penalized for trying to join a server that he could actually "play" on.  I know that in my area our connection UP/DL time is quite bad but I've seen similar cases through the forums about people having the same problems with Desyncing so it's not just myself.  

TBH, combat logging and server hopping should not be the Dev's biggest concern.  They need to work the simple (yet an ongoing process) bugs like UI/gear interaction, server/player/zombie optimization, and so on.  I personally can stand the server hoppers and combat loggers until the right things get fixed first...

Most people don't want to create two accounts, so they can have a farm character and a global bank character, this is not WarZ after all, but while combat logging and server hopping isn't your biggest concern, it sure is for legitimate players.

Edited by Dallas

I love the logout timer. I just wish it would countdown before the game exits and not after. I am just used to this from many other MMO's (not sure if DayZ is an MMO, it's just all I have to go by.)

Leave it as it is untill they fix bugs like, respawn button doesn't work, forever unconcious... I also get my movement bugged nonstop and have to relog several times in one session, it's annoying but i can deal with it.

BUT, after bugs like that are fixed... Increase it to 15-30min

So 'increase the time' should be an option in this poll, 'cause is way too onesided.