Rawniebrownie

Dog Tags good or bad idea ?

Hi, 
Basically my idea is that it could be cool, if they add dog tags to the game, that you can collect from people that are you kill, or find dead.

On the dog tag there should be some useful information about the play. 

I made a little brainstorm and wrote down a list of different info's that could be implemented on the dog tag.

List of info:
- name

- zombies killed

- players killed

- blood type, if the person tested it, this could also help yourself to remember your own blood type and not forget it once you have tested it.
- blood left

- cause of dead and how long ago, zombie, player, fluu, hunger, thirst, this way you will know if you have to be careful and look out for bandits.

-------  It might not be realistic that the dog tag shows cause of dead, time of death, or time alive.
but i think it could add some fun to the game. -------

picture, Edit "Zombie kills" not "Zombies kills" http://i62.tinypic.com/350v2hi.jpg

Edited by Rawniebrownie
  • Like 1

We're not ex-military, so tags are kind of unrealistic. Plus some of the stats would be a little unrealistic.

• Like 5

I know :) then it could be like a note or something, i just think it would be cool if there was some information about the dead people :)

making the game super realistic isn't really possible, i mean its a Zombie apocalypse :) 

Edited by Rawniebrownie

I can't write on a dog tag whilst i'm dead, i don't have a watch in game, i wouldn't know the time i died..

I would like dogtags with general information such as "Name"

You could be forced to wear a necklace with a dogtag for every player you killed.

So you'd instantly know to GTFO if you come across a player who looks like Mister T :D

I'd actually like that. And I don't care if it's unrealistic. DayZ is still a game and some basic info like cause of death and time alive (even if not named) would be nice.

I'm totally not feeling the fps-like dog tag idea, but.....

The only item I'm on the fence about is the time and cause of death. I don't think a cheesy ass dog tag should tell you with cold data, but I do think it would be neat to "investigate" a dead body and see more immersive messages like "this body has bullet holes in it", "this body has lacerations all over", "this body is bruised and beaten", "this body is torn to shreds", or "this body seems untouched". That coupled with time of death messages like "This body seems fresh", "this body is stiff with rigor", "this body is decomposing", or "this body is badly decomposed". With that being said, the body's don't last longer than ten minutes last I checked, so the latter portion of that is about useless, as is the need to know exactly when they died. you see a dead body, guess what.. they died <10 minutes ago.

All in all, Most of these ideas seem like gimmicky FPS crap. Understanding that this isn't always the case, but I don't think a person that kills me deserves to be rewarded with information about me that is not obvious from our interaction. If you want to know my name, or what I've done, just ask, don't shoot. I'm not begging for uber-realism, but I don't want features that detract from the immersion, or make it more of an arcade style game.

Edited by wolf-mind
  • Like 1

Yeah wolf-mind, I've though about that toom like the hunger meter make one that shows the heat of the dead body or if there is zombie bites or bullet holes in it. 
but a note a something with player kills or zombie kills could be great too i think, that way you can keep it as an achievement if you kill a bandit who killed a lot of babies.

i think that its a good idea, but its unrealistic. but i want it =)

Ive been thinking about something along those lines, but yeah dog tags might be abit out of place. But some kind of ID would be nice. Being able to see who ive killed or hold up can be helpful. Also something that lists your blood type either directly when you spawn or after you check it would help alot in simplifying the blood system abit and making blood bags more sought after than saline. Maybe just add identity cards that you cant throw away(and dont really take up inventory space) and allow players to check them on corpses and handcuffed players.

Edited by overdosed

We're not ex-military, so tags are kind of unrealistic. Plus some of the stats would be a little unrealistic.

Weeeelll... My native Sweden used to issue dog tags to all citizens on birth (I still have one somewhere), to be worn in case of war, so it'd be easy to tell who you were and what blood type you had. They stopped in the mid 70's, but I'm sure other countries in Europe did the same... 

We're not ex-military, so tags are kind of unrealistic.

Right, right, because we all used to work in flashlight factory, where we were forced to dress casual style and wear sneakers. And also we're all freakin weaponry geniuses, because we can assemble and disassemble any rifle in no time.

For fucks sake, this is a video game. It will never be 100% realistic. We can simulate situation of apocalypse and a sense of survival, but dog tags are just fine, because it actually helps you to find out what kinds of players are on your server.

Right, right, because we all used to work in flashlight factory, where we were forced to dress casual style and wear sneakers. And also we're all freakin weaponry geniuses, because we can assemble and disassemble any rifle in no time.

For fucks sake, this is a video game. It will never be 100% realistic. We can simulate situation of apocalypse and a sense of survival, but dog tags are just fine, because it actually helps you to find out what kinds of players are on your server.

Everyone owns a flashlight. And everyone owns clothes.

I don't believe you can disassemble weapons yet either? And I was just saying IMHO, it's immersion breaking.

I'd rather add 'String' to the game and the ability the cut off ears of my victims so I can wear a ear necklace  :lol:

• Like 2

The thing with this sort of game is that certain 'creative licences' are used for the purposes of gameplay and/or immersion and/or storyline, and sometimes this takes precedent over realism. Everyone starts with the same gear so that no one player has any distinct advantage over the next. The reason for this is gameplay, pure and simple. If the kit a player starts with was a random selection of items from the game, then you'd have no end of people hurling themselves off tall buildings just to spawn as that guy with a gun already. And you'd also have countless posts on the forums from people having a (fucking legitimate) gripe about it. Similarly, everyone is a "weapon's genius" because, you know, there'd be no end of wailing from players if they picked up an M4 in game and the avatar said "Don't know how to use this" and threw it to the floor. Again, this is for gameplay purposes to the minor detriment of realism. And besides, I'm pretty sure the majority of people who aren't fuckwits could figure out which end of a gun is the shouty one and make it work, though whether they'd be any good with it is something else entirely.

Dogtags? Whilst they could be implemented, they probably won't be simply because it doesn't fit with the storyline (random survivor turns up on the coast, they're not all military personnel so they won't all be wearing dogtags). However, this doesn't mean the idea is toast, it simply needs to be presented in a different manner. How about some form of ID or driving licence that's carried in a wallet or otherwise on their person? Now that I could get behind. Found a dead person? Search their pockets, find out some random stuff about them. Bingo, immersion happens without breaking the storyline or by being ridiculous.

Maybe just add an old ID card into their pants... 

• Like 1

Whats up with all the Battlefield comments? -this game would be ridiculously easy/boring without the PVP element. 

Anyway, collectable Dogtags are a bad idea. They would promote killing for the sake of killing (camping the beach for easy kills etc). That would be a very bad direction for DayZ to go in.

My idea (which got moved to this thread, and I have deleted and replaced with this 'reply') is this:

When searching a body it will display "Hours survived" and "Number of kills". Personally I would want my killer to see this info. I want him to know what he has achieved (if that makes sense?). It also adds a layer of narrative that is currently missing.

Aesthetically this info could look cool on a Dogtag (again, making them collectable is a very bad idea).

Edited by Ultra7

Utterly rubbish idea, this isn't CoD/BF, so your character isn't a soldier and hence isn't wearing dog tags.

Go boil your head.

Bounty hunters will need proof and his ears wont do. We need simple id papers we can collect from corpses. id papers shouldnt take up inventory space imo and are fairly realistic.

The whole world has gone to Hell in a hand basket and you're expecting the few desperate survivors to waste pocket space on ID cards and/or passports?

Remember that not every country requires it citizens to carry picture ID.

Why not a wallet? Its very common.

With personnal ID, driver licence or someting else with the name of the player (Same name as the character) and maybe a random location passport, It could be fun to find where you from (chernarussian or not).

For exemple if you scroll on people (Dead or Alive) you got an option search into pockets and a message shows-up :

You search into "playername" pocket and you find an ID card it seems he's from zelenogorsk (or something else).

A non-lootable system so we can't collect people ID.

Or if we want to go far away, a window pop-up with the picture of our character (spawning face), a few Editable (only when you spawn?) descriptions (doctor, teacher, i don't realy know)

Then add a looting system so we can pretend to be the guy we loot but we can still see if the picture match so its possible to see if the guy lying or not, but the problem is if he got the same head you can't realy know if the guy is lying or not and also if a message pop-up when you loot or see people ID we can still see the real player name.. so i don't realy know if its possible without.

Edited by Poltergeistz

""you're expecting the few desperate survivors to waste pocket space on ID cards and/or passports?""

Maybe i should start to use ''s.. meh..