Macdeth

why good samiritans irritate me

......lol,it's a game guys...psychos!

signs in to the forums and queries the existence of a debate :huh:

That was a rhetorical question. 

Sorry, thats hard to detect on internet forums.

I think you'll find that humans are much simpler than most people think, and not evil, just beings that operate from a set of previous experiences and set limitations, ego and pride and ignornace being the real problem.

Well said. A prime example of  previous experiences evolving a human into something that, from a distant observer, could be describes as "evil" is Beth Thomas.

Here is an interesting, sad documentary of her. A Rape victim who repeatedly threatened to kill her parents and assaulted her half-brother. Nobody is able to judge someone with a past as horrible as hers. (Luckily, she recovered and evolved into a mentally stable person)

But i still think there are pretty evil humans out there who have no legitimate right to behave like that, and should not have to right to call themselves "human beings". Their negative charasteristics (not counting in experience) just outweigh everything.

Now Bye.

Edited by 27 others

when those holding opposing viewpoints feel the need to resort to personal slurs then you know the debate has been won, they just lack the courage to accept that truth.

So..... much..... irony

• Like 2

But actually focusing on seeking that out? making 'heading to the coast to help bambis' your primary aim is just fucking weird, there is something very patronising and arrogant and selfish about those players and when help is forced down my throat, I gotta tell you truth, I often repay it with an act of extreme violence.

You have some serious issues that you should talk to someone about.

I've helped plenty of people because there's nothing else to do. I don't try to team up with everyone and give them guns and military gear, I ask if they need a bit of food or soda to get them started. Sometimes they are shitheads like you and end up trying to knock me out but they don't live long enough to hit me a second time. I have occasionally hooked up with someone brand new to the game and shown them the ropes, helped them get started, but its never been FORCED onto anybody.

I've read your thread and still don't understand why you hate people that want to play friendly, although you seem to have some deep rooted issue with interpreting help as patronizing and rude.

Edited by Hells High
  • Like 1

The first time you make contact with a "bambi" who has found only a backpack, and the first thing they do is get on their knees with their hands behind their head and empty their loot onto the ground....then you realise that there are way too many assholes in this game. I am definitely a "hero", and I like playing that way. I take a sick pleasure in killing those "bandits" who dont have the balls for the elektro deathmatch, and helping those who dont have a chance to get started because every time they spawn they get a mouthful of 5.56. I have yet to be knocked out by a "bambi", though some have tried, and 1 even helped me and my buddies defend ourselves from "bandits" by picking up a mosin form one of the dead ones and returning fire. Honestly, because of the KoS mentality, being a "hero" is some of the most fun in the game for me. Plus, having a "bambi" killer respawn and start talking shit to you, then gunning him down again is just hilarious. Especially when they say shit like "fight me like a man" to try and box you...dude! you were just shooting people who couldnt shoot back, you will get no fair fight from me.

• Like 5

Eh, I wholeheartedly agree with OP... What should the acts of a good samaritan look like? This is how I have gone about it...

People need to keep in mind as well that they overglorify the "hero" playstyle. I tend to want to play that way but this is a perfect example of what three people playing hero can look like:

I am the sniper, the guy with a mosin in a bush 200M away, practiced enough to drop someone reliably from that distance, My two buddies each have M4s, one with the ACOG and bipod and the other more prepped for even closer engagements. We spot a player we decide might need help. I post up with my scope trained on him, the LR M4 buddy, doing the same at a closer rnage, different angle. The last one moves in behind a wall and calls to the guy to put away his weapon, press F2 etc... upon doing so, our 'victim is bound and blinded with a burlap sack. We then went through his stuff to see what he had and what he lkely needed, filled his pack with things we thought would aid him, then left him there to sort himself out as we took off. He probably though he was just robbed. We were just being cautious. What we gave him may save him, may not. But in the end, it couldn't have hurt his odds.

This is what being a hero in this game should look like. Or at least similar. Those of you who run up to people and just say 'Howdy' are asking to die. And you don't just have to help them, maybe you give them a canteen and a bag of rice but take their can opener because you need one. With control of the situation, helping someone really can just be a forced trade

• Like 2

You have some serious issues that you should talk to someone about.

I've helped plenty of people because there's nothing else to do. I don't try to team up with everyone and give them guns and military gear, I ask if they need a bit of food or soda to get them started. Sometimes they are shitheads like you and end up trying to knock me out but they don't live long enough to hit me a second time. I have occasionally hooked up with someone brand new to the game and shown them the ropes, helped them get started, but its never been FORCED onto anybody.

I've read your thread and still don't understand why you hate people that want to play friendly, although you seem to have some deep rooted issue with interpreting help as patronizing and rude.

I agree with your thoughts here, but as with the OP, I also prefer starting anew and tend to decline offers of help. I agree that it isn't 'forced' upon me to take it, but I understand his reasons for not wanting to accept it.

I understand being annoyed at people who engage in acts of would-be heroism, play poorly, and come on the forums to complain about it.

But really, your original post doesn't mention all of that. It just gives a pseudo-analysis of "hero" players and then turns around and decries the idea of labeling players based on their actions.

Also, on your assertion that "styles of play don't need labels". It's pretty common for the mind to assign labels to things, it's how the brain has operated since before we had writing and language (in fact it's how language came to be). Not wanting to be labeled is silly.

Also, I want to address the assertion that Altruism doesn't exist: Yes, doing good things makes you feel good. But why? Maybe it's not some form of feeling superior to everyone around you or some ultimate patronization (May not even be a word) but rather because feeling good about doing something for others is a trait that definitely would benefit a largely social species? As such, even the good feeling is beneficial to others, because it makes it more likely that you will do things for others.

Anyway, back on topic. If your original reasoning for posting this topic is because of people complaining about the KOS playstyle after their acts of charity go poorly, you should recognize the hypocrisy in criticizing their playstyle in a post on the forums. If your original reasoning is simply because you don't understand the benefits of doing nice things for other people? They do it because it's 1. Something to do in a game that lacks things to do. 2. Gets their warm-and-fuzzies going. 

• Like 2

I agree with your thoughts here, but as with the OP, I also prefer starting anew and tend to decline offers of help. I agree that it isn't 'forced' upon me to take it, but I understand his reasons for not wanting to accept it.

Maybe I'm different. Yes, I rage but you have get used to accepting loss in this game.

Plus I tend to spot everyone else first (paranoia is great attribute in dayz). Only once or twice have I been spotted (as a Bambi), but either fight my way out or run (depending on the options).

As a new spawner I care very little about dying.

So fun can be had, and you have options.

Sometimes I test my luck and go for the kill, often ends badly.

There are so many different outcomes to be had from the many different styles and scenarios,

all types of interactions are just and valid. No matter what they do.

There may be a few rants on the forums but its usually from a harsh learning curve and someone venting (which could be the case of the OP)

Plus, the devs may go back to true random spawning making this all obsolete.

Costal exploring can be fun:

There's a few of us that gear up, and move between SWAP along the coast of the south east, then up to NEAP.

We play the role of a crazy cult, pretending that zombies were put on this earth to cleanse it of evil.

We ask if people are believers, and if not they die.

But If they are believers and join us, we make them kill the non believers.

Once we've got about 5-6 of them, we take them to hot PvP spots. That's when the fun starts.

• Like 1

Which human beings, from Hitler and Kim Jong Un to Gandhi? Theres a lot to choose from.

Ever hear Gandhi talk about black people or sex? There really isn't that much to choose from...

What irritates me is not the people gearing up and then heading back to the coast to help bambis but the people doing that and then coming on the forums and start complaining when they get killed.

Stop inflicting your strange need to feel appreciated on otherwise quite content gamers who are busily embarking upon, what for most, is the best part of the game. Gearing up and negotiating the wall of bandits that await in the tree lines and the city scapes ahead, leave them alone and for gods sake stay away from the coast unless you are actively seeking pvp encounters.

What? You can't find the words to say 'Thanks, but no thanks' and move on?

Oh, and by your reasoning anyone spawning in is only doing so because they are 'actively' seeking PvP. A little overly generalised, don't you think?

I'm sorry Macdeth, but you are going to build up a pretty bad rep in this community if you keep acting this way (I'm sure you don't care, but then anything you post will be seen as just trolling).

Don't take this as disrespect, but the reason you're receiving so much push back is because you're making a ton of assumptions, generalizations and then being very abrasive and dismissive any time someone brings up a counter point. You then get very hostile when someone uses your same lines of logic and argument structure.

All in all you have very strongly hard lined your position which is really a bad idea on a forum because it leaves no room for discussion. Taking stances where you want no feedback is better suited for blogs and diaries.

Eh, I wholeheartedly agree with OP... What should the acts of a good samaritan look like? This is how I have gone about it...

People need to keep in mind as well that they overglorify the "hero" playstyle. I tend to want to play that way but this is a perfect example of what three people playing hero can look like:

I am the sniper, the guy with a mosin in a bush 200M away, practiced enough to drop someone reliably from that distance, My two buddies each have M4s, one with the ACOG and bipod and the other more prepped for even closer engagements. We spot a player we decide might need help. I post up with my scope trained on him, the LR M4 buddy, doing the same at a closer rnage, different angle. The last one moves in behind a wall and calls to the guy to put away his weapon, press F2 etc... upon doing so, our 'victim is bound and blinded with a burlap sack. We then went through his stuff to see what he had and what he lkely needed, filled his pack with things we thought would aid him, then left him there to sort himself out as we took off. He probably though he was just robbed. We were just being cautious. What we gave him may save him, may not. But in the end, it couldn't have hurt his odds.

This is what being a hero in this game should look like. Or at least similar. Those of you who run up to people and just say 'Howdy' are asking to die. And you don't just have to help them, maybe you give them a canteen and a bag of rice but take their can opener because you need one. With control of the situation, helping someone really can just be a forced trade

Maybe my idea of a Good Samaritan and yours is different. I don't consider putting a bag on someone's head and rifling through their stuff very friendly. You might do it because you're being cautious but like you said at the end it sounds more like a "forced trade". If that's what the OP is complaining about then yeah I would hate that too.

When I decide to help fresh spawns on the coast I keep my distance and offer up some goods like water, food and yes even weapons. Just to give them a leg up on starting fresh.

I have never had anyone turn on me yet. It's a risk I'm willing to take and I would do the same IRL if the world ever came to that.

The only time you actually get to talk to people in the game is when you have a weapon and they don't. Whenever I have the good fortune to experience one of these rare encounters I usually milk it for all its worth before I get back to the stress of survival.

So where do you go to find high concentrations of players without weapons? The coast.

When I meet a new spawn I usually gauge their attitude, ask leading questions to find out if they're a new player or not and act accordingly. If the bambi in question is amicable or new I usually drop some food on the ground and say 'Hey you can have this if you want' whereas when they're an asshole I just shoot them while feeling a mild sense of regret. Mind you this is not regret that I shot another player, it is regret that I was denied pleasant human interaction.

Your conclusion that all players that interact with bambis in a positive manner do so out of an overpowering desire for external gratification is flawed on multiple levels. Humans are much more complex than your armchair analysis allows and often make decisions as the result of several inputs, not just a single one. Your insistence on distilling the essence of human behavior into such simplistic, black and white categories indicates stunted social development and a misguided sense of superiority to those you believe to be 'less intelligent', 'influenced by emotion' or 'in denial of the true reasons behind their actions'.

Unfortunately you too are in denial of the reasons behind your actions. You are here on these forums decrying the actions of others publicly out of a need to validate your own opinion through your ad hominem dissection of the plebeian's arguments. With each 'victory' your sense of self worth swells and you feel more and more confident that you can make these 'intuitive' leaps and still be correct. Sadly what you don't see is that by pressing your opinion onto everyone while dismissing (without disproving) anything they say in this joke you call a debate is the same exact thing as the subject you originally complained about. 

Christ people like this make me want to vomit.

• Like 4

I think a big part of the psychology of not wanting help or interaction is not having much of it in real life and being left to fend for yourself. Not having any intimacy in life, especially when young i think makes it a strange, unnatural feeling thing when it occurs. In my experience things like this can change throughout your life.

Would be nice if we could get a separate forum for kids.

Well I get plenty of human interaction as I am a server and foodrunner at a country club, and have been a part of that club since I was 11 as a young caddie. I have had plenty of interaction in life with other people and am quite social, yet I do enjoy a nice solitary start to a brand new game such as this.

What point exactly are you trying to make?

edit: i.e. you're "forum for kids" bit is a bit ambiguous to me...im not sure if that's a slight or if it's a genuine suggestion :/

Edited by DeatHTaX

Unfortunately you too are in denial of the reasons behind your actions.

which reasons behind what actions? and where are these denials?

you know the type, get themselves all geared up then head straight back to the coast to offer assistance to all the helpless bambis out there. Christ they make me want to vomit.

first of all anyone who just spawned on the coast is extremely likely to be very pissed off about dying and losing all their gear, probably at the hands of another player only a few minutes previously.

Secondly, there is a very high chance that this helpless bambi is an accomplished KoS player who would try and kill you with a gun, an axe, a kitchen knife or indeed a pair of fists no matter when and where you happen to meet.

There is something very odd about players who go to the coast specifically to 'help' fresh spawns.

Don't get me wrong, I love genuine and spontaneous acts of human kindness, I myself have occasionally derived a real sense of well being after some chance meeting, a little time spent getting acquainted and establishing that neither one of us is an incurable asshole, it's a real pleasure to share some supplies under such circumstances, a rare and pleasant experience indeed.

But actually focusing on seeking that out? making 'heading to the coast to help bambis' your primary aim is just fucking weird, there is something very patronising and arrogant and selfish about those players and when help is forced down my throat, I gotta tell you truth, I often repay it with an act of extreme violence.

Stop inflicting your strange need to feel appreciated on otherwise quite content gamers who are busily embarking upon, what for most, is the best part of the game. Gearing up and negotiating the wall of bandits that await in the tree lines and the city scapes ahead, leave them alone and for gods sake stay away from the coast unless you are actively seeking pvp encounters.

go buy some vagisil and fix your vagina, your complaining worse than a damn woman.

which reasons behind what actions? and where are these denials?

I apologize I accredited too much to your skills of deduction. I has assumed they would be readily apparent to someone with even a rudimentary understanding of the concept. Alas, I lack both the time and interest to cater to your ineptitude but I assure you that if you peruse your previous posts you will figure it out in short order.

• Like 1

snip

just another meaningless collection of unconnected words with nothing coherent linking them.

I have never read anything that uses so many words to say so little as in both of your posts.

If you're going to engage in a discussion try to have a point.

Edited by Macdeth

go buy some vagisil and fix your vagina, your complaining worse than a damn woman.

and what is so wrong with women?

Don't you like them? Because I do, I love em.

Strange way to attempt an insult in 2014, didn't you hear we're all equal now you ignorant git.

I apologize I accredited too much to your skills of deduction. I has assumed they would be readily apparent to someone with even a rudimentary understanding of the concept. Alas, I lack both the time and interest to cater to your ineptitude but I assure you that if you peruse your previous posts you will figure it out in short order.

Y'know I was somewhat understanding to your argument until this point. In a discussion when you turn into a condescending asshole and look down your nose at someone like that, you kind of lose your validity. I know first hand because I fall into this trap sometimes myself.

I couldn't help but notice you took the Politician route there and decided to completely avoid his questions entirely. You would have done some good for your argument had you simply provided answers, but instead, you discredit your own viewpoints by looking like a know-it-all elitist prick :/

Grow up, man. People disagree with your viewpoints, it's part of life.

• Like 2

just another meaningless collection of unconnected words with nothing coherent linking them.

I have never read anything that uses so many words to say so little as in both of your posts.

If you're going to engage in a discussion try to have a point.

*yawn* Its the same gig every time man. You have nothing to say so you attack the person making the statement or its syntax.

I wasn't even aware the was a discussion going on here. You certainly not interested in a logical debate as the only method of argument you employ is straw man and ad hominem attacks. You neither present or refute valid arguments, you're just here for the show and to stroke your ego.

Me? I'm just here to poke holes in a pseudo-intellectual that thinks they're smarter than they actually are. Loosen up that fedora darling.

Y'know I was somewhat understanding to your argument until this point. In a discussion when you turn into a condescending asshole and look down your nose at someone like that, you kind of lose your validity. I know first hand because I fall into this trap sometimes myself.

I couldn't help but notice you took the Politician route there and decided to completely avoid his questions entirely. You would have done some good for your argument had you simply provided answers, but instead, you discredit your own viewpoints by looking like a know-it-all elitist prick :/

Uh, I don't need to re-state something that is patently obvious so that he can attack the way I said it instead of what I'm saying. I gave up on putting effort into my response because there are 7 pages showing that hes not interested in a discussion. 

Edited by aeoliana

the thing is he spewed out his recycled psychobabble (post 1) which he unskilfully edited to shoehorn into some kind of relevant state pertaining rather weakly to this topic, but when asked to expand upon a few points he had made he was entirely unable to do so.

A faker is what he is and he is experiencing the fakers nightmare, being called out.

edit, as I typed he piped up lol. Nothing worth reporting mind, just a defensive brain fart of a post.

Edited by Macdeth