Sign in to follow this  
aeoliana

Pistols in hands should not be ruined when shot

If I am holding a pistol in my hands that is stored in my inventory in my pants, it should not break when I am shot in the leg. I have died several times when the pistol I am holding became unable to fire due to the clothing it was stored in getting ruined as a result of a shot taken during the fight.

Seems like this would be a relatively simple improvement to implement.

Edited by aeoliana
  • Like 6

Not as simple as you think...

• Like 1

They'd have to change the whole entire system for items taking damage due to their storage being hit for this to change, so no, not a simple fix. Try utilizing protector cases.

I think ruined stuff should be fixed because an m4 shot ruins the whole thing, I would say every shot ruins just one thing in inventory

This is a problem that should be fixed.  As much as I'd like the idea of someone getting nothing from my corpse after KOS, it makes no sense to ruin everything.  A random item for each hit from a gun or weapon, maybe, but not every item.

You don't have to "change the whole system". You just need to add a check to see whether the stored item is currently in hands or not. (Easiest way would be to set a flag "in_use")

• Like 3

Not as simple as you think...

Care to elaborate?

They'd have to change the whole entire system for items taking damage due to their storage being hit for this to change, so no, not a simple fix. Try utilizing protector cases.

Unless I am underestimating the depth of the existing system, I feel like a conditional would make this disappear.

Yeah, that doesn't make too much sense. It probably will be fixed.

Why not just add weapon hitboxes? You get shot in the head, you take more damage than getting shot in the leg.. It's not "Reworking an entire system" as much as it is adding to an existing one.  How do you expect them to add vehicles to the game if they can't choose what items can and can't be damaged? "Shooting out tires would need an entire overhaul, or else it would just damage the car itself!".

You don't have to "change the whole system". You just need to add a check to see whether the stored item is currently in hands or not. (Easiest way would be to set a flag "in_use")

Something like this would make sense and still allows all other items to be destroyed.

• Like 1

Care to elaborate from a coding perspective?

• Like 1

Even if it is logical, it will just give more guns to KoS guys.

I dunno it could be easy, could make a ghost copy that is slightly transparent to reserve the slot when it is moved to the hands. I mean currently you can pick items up from the ground into your hands without them needing inventory space assignment so it seems possible

Edited by akafugitive

I don't think this is intended behavior.

Report it on the bug tracker and provide a link here.

Care to elaborate from a coding perspective?

I'm not familiar with the object model for the ArmA engine, but something like the following would be the basic idea

(while iterating bag contents and damaging them)

if (player.held_item == null || items.item_id != player.held_item.item_id)

items.set_quality(quality.ruined)

The OP has a good point. For a game that likes to use realism, a weapon held in hand should not be damaged unless the hand is hit.

The fix would likely be pretty easy. Even if a pistol is stored in a backpack, it is flagged as in-hand when it is in hand. As damage is done to the backpack, it should be easy enough to exclude damage for an in-hand item.

Now, I do not know if weapons have hit boxes in DayZ. If they do not, it should be easy enough to include any in-hand items in the list of items to be damaged if the hand/arm is struck. All that would need to be done is to update a flag/pointer whenever an item is place in the hand.

Edited by RedDogMT

Yeah thats something thats been bugging me, but for that to happen I think that pistols have to have their own slot right now, as item damage is still handled extremely rudimentary.

If the item is in the hands and you got shot in the leg where the item was stored the item should not get ruined, they will surely fix that in time. Still, for a game that is aiming for realism, the fact that you can hear people eating or drinking a room or a floor away is not very realistic. So, the game is what it is at the moment and we should wait until it's finished to decide if it's realism what it pretends or just annoy the players.