BL1P

Things you should not be able to disable.

I think there are a few settings in DayZ that should not be allowed to be disabled.

And some which should be locked at a certain amount.

The 3 below should not be disable-able. 

Clouds (this negates the nighttime effects).

Post-process (this negates the damage and illness effects).

Shadows (This allows a person with shadows off to see a person hiding in shadows).

The alpha to coverage should be chosen by the Devs and ALL should use that one, some of them remove a lot of the foliage and you may think you are in cover but you are not on another persons screen.

Field of view should only be allowed to be lowered not increased when its used as an increase its basically a free zoom. ala Q2 old school zoom.

Also there is the brightness and gamma settings that negate the nighttime effects when turned up beyond 1.0 they should be locked at 1.0 max.

Things like sweet FX should be taken a close look at by the DEV team, allowing clients to use there own GFX injectors is a slippery road when the injectors can be altered in such a way as to give an advantage to one and not the other.

With such a high level of PvP in DayZ any settings that give an advantage to one and not the other should be locked down now in the Alpha.

I am not suggesting making everyone play on max settings just that you should not be able to disable a setting to gain an advantage or increase a setting to gain an advantage.

Using the lowest setting in the 3 examples would be fine as low does not negate the effects.

Edited by BL1P
  • Like 3

Turning clouds on actually makes night time brighter. Turning them off puts you at a disadvantage.

Shadows need to be able to be turned off really, not everyone has a system that can run handle them.

Post-process should be done away with completely if anything IMO. It reduces visibility, eats a load of frames and causes input lag. It's just bad all around.

The only things that I agree should be locked are those that affect the thickness of trees and bushes, mainly AToC.

Edited by Mos1ey
  • Like 3

Turning clouds on actually makes night time brighter. Turning them off puts you at a disadvantage.

Shadows need to be able to be turned off really, not everyone has a system that can run handle them.

Post-process should be done away with completely if anything IMO. It reduces visibility, eats a load of frames and causes input lag. It's just bad all around.

The only things that I agree should be locked are those that affect the thickness of trees and bushes, mainly AToC.

Nar if the clouds cover the moon removing them increases the visibility (but yer i know what you mean sometimes on is better sometimes off is better)

If you cant run shadows at lowest you do not meet minimum requirements 

Post porcess is used as a game mechanic for illness and the like not having it on negates a game mechanic (although I myself don't like the blurry screen either)

Edited by BL1P
  • Like 1

Buy me a better PC and I'll run the game with everything maxed...I would like to!!

But, you know, in a way or another, exploiters (non honest people) gonna exploit, so why charge it on people who can't play the game at more than 15 FPS? They already have problems lol.

Edited by Gugolas

I think some settings should be forced, at least on hardcore servers....  or the have to get rid of things like blurry if hurt completly.

Its just a huge advantage over people who play as its meant to be, and this is annoying!

This sounds maybe a bit arrogant but if your system doesnt handle it you may just cant play the game, its normal that new games with new affects dont work well on system without the power, you cant blame anyone for that... you cant blame sony because the ps3 game doesnt work on the ps2.

Edited by Sonic-NKT

It is arrogant. Nobody blames someone except those who say that others can't play the game if they don't have a good PC. Remember that meeting the minimum requirements bounds many to disable such graphics anyway.

Seeing things this way, also having 60 FPS on 20 is a huge advantage...so why don't why hardcap the FPS to 25? I hope you get the inverse parallelism.

We all know this is an indie, but if you want to sell (yeah, BI wants to sell games) you can't close all the doors to all those who don't have an excellent quite new PC (worst is if they already bought it, even if it's in alpha)... That's it, because not everybody will spend 1000 euros (future prices) to play a game at medium settings or more for higher. I will, but I'm a long time devoted DayZ fan.

Clearly the game is still in alpha so with the final release many will have already bought a new PC because time passes...but I hope you get what I mean.

Edited by Gugolas

I think there are a few settings in DayZ that should not be allowed to be disabled.

And some which should be locked at a certain amount.

Shadows (This allows a person with shadows off to see a person hiding in shadows).

The alpha to coverage should be chosen by the Devs and ALL should use that one, some of them remove a lot of the foliage and you may think you are in cover but you are not on another persons screen.

Field of view should only be allowed to be lowered not increased when its used as an increase its basically a free zoom. ala Q2 old school zoom.

Also there is the brightness and gamma settings that negate the nighttime effects when turned up beyond 1.0 they should be locked at 1.0 max.

Things like sweet FX should be taken a close look at by the DEV team, allowing clients to use there own GFX injectors is a slippery road when the injectors can be altered in such a way as to give an advantage to one and not the other.

With such a high level of PvP in DayZ any settings that give an advantage to one and not the other should be locked down now in the Alpha.

I am not suggesting making everyone play on max settings just that you should not be able to disable a setting to gain an advantage or increase a setting to gain an advantage.

Using the lowest setting in the 3 examples would be fine as low does not negate the effects.

And yet all three are major aspects to FPS loss.

I will also add that there is no need to punish people with high-end PC's just so a certain group of people can have higher FPS. The recommended requirements are fairly cheap and will continue to go down in price.

Edited by Shadow134

What are the minimum specs announced on the steam?

With those specs, can a PC handle those 3 settings?

If yes, yes they should be forced.

If not, settings should be forced based on announced min specs.

It is as simple as that.

Unfortunately, both the minimum and recommended specs posted are way behind the times.

If switching graphics setting X off or below a certain threshold gives a player an advantage, the game shouldn't allow this.

On the flip side of this, players with higher-end PCs should be able to make the game look as shiny as possible without putting themselves at a disadvantage.

currently announced minimum specs are also only for the alpha, i guess those could be changed for the final release.

lets face it, those are settings that have a huge impact on gameplay and i think its a good thing in a survival game. someone who is badly hurt with huge bloodloss isnt as capable as someone who is completly healthy. to turn something like this off even if its in the official settings is just ruining the game and gives people an enormous advantage over others that keep the setting activated.

Well its an early alpha but i hope they have some settings forced in the future,  or atleast make it a server decision. so every player on a server suffers the same influences...

Grass render distance should be a server-side setting (filterable in the browser)

Hello there

Why not remove those lovely volumetric clouds altogether and use a hi res texture map to represent different states? Games like oblivion handle the transition well aso inspiration could be taken from there is the RV engine is capable.

i LOVE the new clouds, but in A3 they appear to drain FPS and as we are ground based, why do we need 3d clouds?

Rgds

LoK

i thought helicopters or even small civilian airplanes are planned for the future?

i would love to see ultralight aviation stuff in the future, just two seats... :)

i thought helicopters or even small civilian airplanes are planned for the future?

i would love to see ultralight aviation stuff in the future, just two seats... :)

What does it have to do with the topic, dude?

As to the OP, I have to turn shadows and clouds off if I want to play at night, because all I would see is a pitch black screen. No! I don't mean it's dark. I get freakin black and grey stains. And I have a new PC that exceeds recommended requirements. So what this game needs is not restrictions for turning stuff on and off, but optimisation.

Post - processing the blur effects should be replaced with darkening of the peripheral vision, like tunneled - similar to the G forces effect on the air combat simulators ( see Rise of Flight for examples of tunnel vision and vision when hurt ). That way there would be no need to block any feature.

Regarding the degradation of quality, render distance in a good design is always tied to the overall quality. I hope them to review this. Lower textures, lower model detail = lower render distance.

Should fix.

Edited by Hethwill_Khan

Needing to have post processing would be a huge bitch and drop framerates considerably. You'd be alienating a lot of people with decent rigs but not necesarrily gaming computers. Lets be honest here, Dayz isn't the prettiest game out there and post-processing isn't going to make it win a beauty contest either when it comes to graphics; what it will do however is make the game as GPU heavy as many other games which ARE very graphically pretty.

I think the effects from sickness should come from somewhere else, something less straining than PP.

Here is your solution

I think Dean said that in one of his streams

There will be servers with forced graphical settings. There will be servers where you need clouds, specific grass settings, shadow and so on. So there will be "low quality" and "high quality" servers. At least for the graphic aspect. ;)

It's funny how people ask for fancy effects only to turn them off to have an advantage. If your pc can't handle any minimum of everything you might really have to think about getting a new rig.

It's funny how people ask for fancy effects only to turn them off to have an advantage. If your pc can't handle any minimum of everything you might really have to think about getting a new rig.

Not me. I never asked for better effects and I do turn off those I need to turn off to run the game smoothly. I prefer high FPS over fancy pictures. I think though the main culprit for people is Post Processing, not so much the clouds or the grass.

What does it have to do with the topic, dude?

As to the OP, I have to turn shadows and clouds off if I want to play at night, because all I would see is a pitch black screen. No! I don't mean it's dark. I get freakin black and grey stains. And I have a new PC that exceeds recommended requirements. So what this game needs is not restrictions for turning stuff on and off, but optimisation.

orlok mentioned removing volume clouds, because not needed (not aircrafts)

• Like 1

My computer can't handle all that either. 

What kind of outdated computers are ya'll on that can't play this game???

I'm about to give this PC to my girlfriend it's so bad and I play at 50 fps on medium settings. I realize it's unnecessary, but if my frames drop I don't want to be left below 30.

My Game should NOT be reduced or altered because ya'll "don't have a good enough" computer... that's why computer gaming is restrictive. Go buy a console.

If I'm playing, on my regular computer, at normal FPS, and some guy comes running down the road playing a barebones version of the game with all his grass and draw turned all the way down, now I'm a sitting duck because of HIS bad computer.

At this point, I would feel justified using my extra computer power to give me back the advantage is stripped away. Now, cheating takes too much effort running scripts and command line and all that to make it worth a while, but I hope you see my point.

ALLOWING PEOPLE WITH LESSER PC's TO CHANGE THE GAME TO IMPROVE THEIR PERFORMANCE IS THE EXACT SAME AS A PERSON WITH A GREATER PC USING THEIR EXTRA SPACE TO RUN CHEATING SOFTWARE.

"Oh, but I have low FPS unless Clouds are Off and blah blah blah"

Well suddenly the settings you need to play the game "properly" allow you to see in the dark.

So I'm on a TV so big and nice it doesn't matter what I turn my gamma to, it's always dark at night.

So I should be able to use my extra computer power, that which is not needed to run the game, to run some sort of program that magically makes it not night for me.

You cannot justify one without justifying the other.

So if you have bad PC...

Build a better one.

• Like 1

Sry, but many many people, who play DayZ, don't have suuch a great PC. (i also don't have the best system on earth, so i turn shadows and postprocessing down)

And because of that, they turn several options down, because otherwise, their GPU/CPU couldn't handle the game at stable FPS.

Shadows are both, CPU and GPu intensive, as far as i know...

But instead of forcing people to buy themselves things to climb up to "your level",

you could also think a bit, be social and lower your standards, and turn down shadows, post processing and clouds :)

Edited by irishroy