airtonix (DayZ)

The current implementation of the logout timer is trollish.

I dont think its that bad. You really just need to make sure you are not near anything.. Would be more interesting to see how its implemented when you have a higher amount of zombies roaming around in and out of cities and towns.

But again.. A quick 360 degree look and I would think you would see if a zombie would be in range, 30 seconds away from you and no one was following you.

Really just have to see how it goes.

Edited by cels

no just no .There are plenty of safe places on the map to logout. Only 30% of the map is being used from the players with the current state of the game(no vehicles)

• Like 1

@Artonix

The suggestion to display the timer and allow for players to cancel it seems to be a reasonable request. I get that DayZ isn't supposed to be fair, however this 'feature' seems it's more problematic for legitimate players. An example I can give are mis-named 24/7 Daylight servers. Or, being removed from a server due to high pings. The mod had a combat timer, put one in the stand alone and as long as a character is in combat, it remains in the realm of the game

Why not just prevent the character from being removed from the game while in combat? 

Add laser pointers and they have the ability to 'tag' someone to put them in combat.

@Dean... my immersion! :)

What about, If you the player wants to log out of the game, you have to find a place to sleep and the process of falling asleep requires you to lay down and close your eyes, takes #N of seconds and as you go deeper into sleep, you lose the ability to keep an eye open or hear things...? huh!?!? maybe!?

edit: Oh, and depending on how well of a sleep you have, the next time you log in will determine if you enter the game well rested or not which can effect your energy level for the entire day. 

Edited by Zagdul

Remember: Everything of importance in DayZ is done on the SERVER not the CLIENT!

Lol like waiting 120secs and checking if the player had moved more than 1000 meters? Puh-lease.

Combined with the 260 s log in delay if you leave a server before being in your previous server for 30 min, deals with CL, Ghosting and server jumpy types. In this particular case they were probably logging in for the first time or had waited out the 5 min log in delay. There is no guaranteed way to prevent the really dedicated server jumpers.

Because no one hangs around for more than 4.3mins after a fight were someone logged off right RIGHT? seriously. /sarcasm

There is no guaranteed way to prevent the really dedicated server jumpers.

Actually there is. You should probably read my post. It's awesome.

Sorry, you're not keeping up with the Devs, are you? They tried the alternate way proposed and IT DIDN"T WORK! It was too easy to EXPLOIT! I'm sorry, but it just isn't going to be implemented in the manner you have proposed!

I call bullshit on this. Explain to us how it didn't work. Nothing to lose since they aren't going with a system that apparently can be exploited.

What about, If you the player wants to log out of the game, you have to find a place to sleep and the process of falling asleep requires you to lay down and close your eyes, takes #N of seconds and as you go deeper into sleep, you lose the ability to keep an eye open or hear things...? huh!?!? maybe!?

edit: Oh, and depending on how well of a sleep you have, the next time you log in will determine if you enter the game well rested or not which can effect your energy level for the entire day. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqE323oibqk

Edited by airtonix

As for the no zombies outside of points of interest, I ran into a soldier type in the middle of nowhere running direct from NWAF to Polana at first I thought it was a player I was shouting "friendly" before it started moaning. Now maybe some player trained it to there but once we get more zombies its going to be more common.

The only issue for me is not knowing if I lived or died EVERY time I log out. Even a small chance will bug me every time.

• Like 1

Sorry, you're not keeping up with the Devs, are you? They tried the alternate way proposed and IT DIDN"T WORK! It was too easy to EXPLOIT! I'm sorry, but it just isn't going to be implemented in the manner you have proposed!

Er i think you misunderstood me so calm your panties! that is exactly how it is working in the experimental currently, when you log out your character is in server for 30 seconds all i was saying is it would be nice if they implement it so you could oversee the logout progress instead of leaving it defenseless, it isn't changing anything to the already current system; if you didn't fully understand me do not correct me with miss information! 

I don't understand why we can't just hit logout, and our character sits down and we wait there for 30 seconds and if something happens we move and we don't log out until we sit down for a straight 30 seconds. 

* Switching server(or server group) within X hours of joining current server(or server group) results in you being moved to a random location that is neither near other players or high value loot locations.

The benefits of this are: 
  * Loot Hoppers will be facing a far amount of time running to new high value loot locations each time they change
  * Ghosters will find that they are now facing a long trek to attempt their "flanking" manuvure. 

How the fuck am I supposed to meet up with my team when they are on another server?

Edited by Beck

I don't understand why we can't just hit logout, and our character sits down and we wait there for 30 seconds and if something happens we move and we don't log out until we sit down for a straight 30 seconds. 

That would make to much sense lol.

• Like 2

How the fuck am I supposed to meet up with my team when they are on another server?

Yeah thats REALLY going to screw up team play. Especially since not everyones going to get the server right the larger the group if there is miss-communicate

• Like 2

They would need a penalty for logging out with the old pull the plug or Alt-F4.

Edited by Beck

As for the no zombies outside of points of interest, I ran into a soldier type in the middle of nowhere running direct from NWAF to Polana at first I thought it was a player I was shouting "friendly" before it started moaning. Now maybe some player trained it to there but once we get more zombies its going to be more common.

The only issue for me is not knowing if I lived or died EVERY time I log out. Even a small chance will bug me every time.

^This is the truth.

I've seen plenty of zeds in the woods. Usually pretty easy to avoid, but one time after not being in a town or airfield for at least 20 minutes I was attacked by 4 zeds in the woods. I saw them first and thought I made it through the line but 2 spotted me and the other two joined the action while I fought lol.

Also to the people that say you won't get spotted sitting in a bush, try playing the game with all eye candy disabled and lowest possible settings, no bushes, trees, or camo clothing will hide you from people who play that way.

We need this combat log system, but as a player more interested in survival than personal kill streaks, I have to think there is a better way.

Regards.

^This is the truth.

I've seen plenty of zeds in the woods. Usually pretty easy to avoid, but one time after not being in a town or airfield for at least 20 minutes I was attacked by 4 zeds in the woods. I saw them first and thought I made it through the line but 2 spotted me and the other two joined the action while I fought lol.

Also to the people that say you won't get spotted sitting in a bush, try playing the game with all eye candy disabled and lowest possible settings, no bushes, trees, or camo clothing will hide you from people who play that way.

We need this combat log system, but as a player more interested in survival than personal kill streaks, I have to think there is a better way.

Regards.

If im not mistaken when you get attacked in Nether the logout timer stops for you to combat whatever is attacking you. Or at least i think. Going to have to play again but im pretty sure that so you don't just get free killed from players looking for this kind of shit. A time stop when you get hit SHOULD be practical enough.

You guys seem to forget that while 30 seconds might be enough to possibly not have another player find you, what about when more zombies get added to the game?  It would get pretty frustrating to spend a considerable amount of time looking for a safe-haven from both players and zombies, simply to log out.  I feel like in preventing assholes from combat logging or server hopping, the system is indirectly screwing honest players.  Imagine playing with one character for two weeks and because of a simple "ill-timed" logout, you die from a zombie you didn't see?  Sometime we just want to log out to see what the kids or wife needs... that shouldn't come with a penalty. 

I hope they test other methods as I'm sure there are better ways around combat logging / server hopping.  

• Like 1

You guys seem to forget that while 30 seconds might be enough to possibly not have another player find you, what about when more zombies get added to the game?  It would get pretty frustrating to spend a considerable amount of time looking for a safe-haven from both players and zombies, simply to log out.  I feel like in preventing assholes from combat logging or server hopping, the system is indirectly screwing honest players.  Imagine playing with one character for two weeks and because of a simple "ill-timed" logout, you die from a zombie you didn't see?  Sometime we just want to log out to see what the kids or wife needs... that shouldn't come with a penalty. 

I hope they test other methods as I'm sure there are better ways around combat logging / server hopping.  

Oh you know they will have to fix it especially if Dean does plan on putting in the 100 roaming hoards at a time like he talked about in the past. Its going to mess ppl up eventually. Maybe not right away since everything is still alpha but if hordes are going to get tougher and bigger than its going to become a big issue latter on down the line for legit players.

Er i think you misunderstood me so calm your panties! that is exactly how it is working in the experimental currently, when you log out your character is in server for 30 seconds all i was saying is it would be nice if they implement it so you could oversee the logout progress instead of leaving it defenseless, it isn't changing anything to the already current system; if you didn't fully understand me do not correct me with miss information! 

Actually I did understand you. That's the problem. You are continuing to argue for an implementation that the Devs have already ruled out after trying it internally on their own server. They have decided to go with the current implementation because it does not suffer from the flaws of the OPs proposed design.

While you are quite welcome to continue to push for this proposal, as the Devs have already ruled it out, TBH, you're wasting effort.

EDIT: Sorry, it took a while to find this link: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/169616-reddit-rocket2guns-on-30-second-logout-timer-in-next-build-confirmed-by-rocket-subject-to-change/?hl=%2Blogout+%2Btimer+%2Breddit

Go and read it. Case 2 is a direct implementation of the OPs proposal.

Are we done now?

Edited by DJPorterNZ
  • Like 1

Hi.

I fully agree with you.

I guess the only people that think this method is perfect are the elektro death match crowd, because they wouldn't really care if they die. They generally just want spawns but back at baloota so they can gear up in 10 minutes and get back to the death match. Which is fine, I have no problem with people who play that way, they make surviving a bit harder. But if you die because you didn't have enough time to really get into the boonies before logging out, its taking away from other peoples playing styles.

Regards.

Actually I did understand you. That's the problem. You are continuing to argue for an implementation that the Devs have already ruled out after trying it internally on their own server. They have decided to go with the current implementation because it does not suffer from the flaws of the OPs proposed design.

While you are quite welcome to continue to push for this proposal, but as the Devs have already ruled it out, TBH, you're wasting effort.

EDIT: Sorry, it took a while to find this link: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/169616-reddit-rocket2guns-on-30-second-logout-timer-in-next-build-confirmed-by-rocket-subject-to-change/?hl=%2Blogout+%2Btimer+%2Breddit

Are we done now?

Sigh dude i've read all that i'm up with the news, however it doesn't change anything.

Like i stated to the guy i was replying to (as it has also been stated officially), we are in an alpha they are testing many thing's and everything is likely to change even crazy ideas they don't think will jive; who knows what will happen and who knows if they go back and revise or retry previous methods especially to a larger audience in a new light / way.

As explain to me how having the current (experimental) system as is with a tweak to keep you ingame (if you wish) can be exploited? as it is the exact same system.

I'm not saying i am correct all i am saying is you shouldn't take every statement that is made as case closed, especially when we are in such early stages of game development.

Edited by twingunz

^This is the truth.

Regards.

Finally someone who gets it.

About the eye candy, given that every serious pvper in every game that allows it cranks all that crap down for the FPS boost and assorted other competitive edges,  HOW THE HELL DO PEOPLE NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS? I just don't get how any gamer at this point doesn't understand that just becasue they see something blocking/restricting their view, doesn't mean everyone sees it.

Edited by Franchi

Sigh dude i've read all that i'm up with the news, however it doesn't change anything.

Then all I can do is leave you with Dean's quote from the above link:

The only time we might consider number 2 type scenario will be with prepared campsites (tent, etc...). We might try implementing it again then. But it is a lot of work for something that failed very badly in testing.

Edited by DJPorterNZ

Are we done now?

No because the link explains nothing of how my proposed system can be exploited.

Dean Hall merely repeats that #2 is bad with obvious emotion but never actually demonstrates how it is bad. (as do you)

Edited by airtonix

No because the link explains nothing of how my proposed system can be exploited.

Dean Hall merely repeats himself all over the place with obvious emotion. (as do you)

Nothing emotional about my reporting of the facts. They aren't going to tell you how to exploit the system that they have decided not to use. Even if they did implement it they aren't going to detail the exploits.

Your proposal failed in testing using whatever criteria they were testing it against. I don't know what that criteria was, but they know their systems better than I, or you for that matter. It doesn't come across as an edict from Dean, but rather a mutually discovered concensus that there was a failure and that the current implementation on the experimental servers was the best compremise they have to solve the issues as they see them.

I'll defer to Dean and the other Devs. They are the only ones at this time that have the whole picture available to them.

NOTE: The system they tested wasn't exactly the system you proposed in your OP, so I accept the mischaracterisation of your arguement. It doesn't materially effect my points so I'll let them stand as I have made them, with that proviso in mind.

Edited by DJPorterNZ