tachute

High data traffic while playing DayZ

Hello DayZ Community,

for me, i have a big problem while playing DayZ. I live in a small village in germany and need to use a LTE internet connection.

This means, i have data volume from 15GB every month. Normally, it´s enough for me and my wife. That means, my wife can surf in the internet and i can play the normal online games, like COD, B4, Diablo3, LoL or WoW without any problems, my data volume was always enough.

Now i buyed DayZ to play it with my friends. But now to my problem.

In 4 Days playing DayZ i had a playtime from ~30 hours (weekend). In this ~30 hours i had a datatraffic from ~5GB for just playing DayZ! That's pretty much. Thats the first game i ever played which has so much traffic.

After i saw that, i started a little test with my friends.

1. Test: I joined a server with 3/30 players at night. I played 30 minutes and had a data traffic from 35-45 MB.

2. Test: I joined a server with 20/30 players at day time. Her i had 300MB traffic after 30 minutes.

3. Test. I joined a server with 30/40 players with 2 friends. We played again together for 30 minutes. Her i had a datatraffic from over 500MB.

In all 3 tests i just walked around, dont loot anything or killed some one. I'm just walking around on the map and i want want to play with my friends now, I can only play 1 hour every day with them and this is crap.

Can someone explain my this high traffic? Or explain me how i can avoid so much traffic?

Thanks for your answers and sorry for my bad english.

Your English is just fine. Wish I could help, but I don't see how...

All I can say is: stick to low pop servers. I do not think they'll ever fix this, as it's typical for the Arma engine. Only having 15GB of total bandwith is not from this day and age.

Edited by Ratiasu

Any zombies or wildlife around your character has to be tracked by your client just as well as players, do the math.

Any zombies or wildlife around your character has to be tracked by your client just as well as players, do the math.

Thats right, i know this. But here are so many other games, with more wildlife, zombies/monster and even more players. And in all these other games you dont have so much traffic.

Your English is just fine. Wish I could help, but I don't see how...

All I can say is: stick to low pop servers. I do not think they'll ever fix this, as it's typical for the Arma engine. Only having 15GB of total bandwith is not from this day and age.

I have the choise. A high speed LTE connection with 15Gb volume or i have unlimated internet with UMTS speed...

I don't think there's anything you can do man hopefully as the game becomes more stable it may lessen the usage but honestly as the servers bump up in player size, items and interactable objects more than likely it'll grow.

Hope you get some more options soon dude.

Suck my free and unlimited internet you development countries

Shame, you have free and unlimited internet but your English skills leave much to be desired.

• Like 3

This is a legit complaint. The netcode is doing a lot of unnecessary tasks which may cause hickups and nitpicks. Knowing Bohemia they as well may be refreshing the item table every so often it intimidates the connection like a torrent, like updating the whole map instead of sending data from your radial position.

Edited by raphier
  • Like 2

The traffic will be even higher once vehicles are in the game.

Edited by YassirX
  • Like 1

I'd blame it on alpha status, I agree with Raphier's comments. Hopefully this will improve. Unfortunately, Bohemia isn't really 'suffering' and being incentivized to handle traffic lean, because they don't pay for it -the game runs off servers that belong to hosting companies, who do have associated costs of the traffic.

I can imagine that this will change, because apart from the traffic cost for hosting providers (which in turn will lead to higher per month rates for hosting a server), there's the issue of the end user not having the bandwidth and will suffer from lag.

It's just something that they will do later on, not in alpha stage -too much else is in the air, and this is something they have likely planned to streamline when everything else is more or less settled.

anyway, that's what i think ;)

This will most likely never change, its exactly the same in Arma.

It is very possible to run an Arma 2 server from home, but without fast internet, its gonna suck, for this exact reason :)
Dont expect this to be "better" in final release, as we can expect alot more data (more loot, more zombies, vehicles, etc.) to travel from and to the client, from the server.

It could be improved, i guess, i simply dont know enough about the netcode in DayZ to say that.
But Arma has shown, they dont really do any improvements in this "corner" of the engine.

• Like 1

Thats right, i know this. But here are so many other games, with more wildlife, zombies/monster and even more players. And in all these other games you dont have so much traffic.

I have the choise. A high speed LTE connection with 15Gb volume or i have unlimated internet with UMTS speed...

Not true...

there are no games that take as much resources

Lets face it, it could use some improvement probably. You shouldn't need to be updated frequently on anything in DayZ happening beyond your visual range unless its a fast moving plane/car perhaps. Yet in the mod, chaos in another part of the map could tank your framerate.

Not true...

there are no games that take as much resources

Care to clarify that? I would think MMO's have quite a bit more resources.

Lets face it, it could use some improvement probably. You shouldn't need to be updated frequently on anything in DayZ happening beyond your visual range unless its a fast moving plane/car perhaps. Yet in the mod, chaos in another part of the map could tank your framerate.

Care to clarify that? I would think MMO's have quite a bit more resources.

I will defer to the experts, but there are plenty of threads about this argument. The conencus seems to be that 225sq km map with all the resources that TOH, Arma use they are the big boys.

no other game has the map size and resources.

keep in mind too the difference between MMO birds eye view/texture quality, etc (WoW, diablo 3, etc)

to the fps/3rd person

Edited by deebz1234

Germany is a development country?

I live in Washington state and I'm forced to use LTE 4G also. Also unless your not American the USA is on the bottom of developed countries when it comes to high speed internet for the masses. We are the kings of data capping and calling it unlimited.

The OP is right DayZ will burn your data out in days if not hours.

I pay $90 for 10GB a month....

So now I play DayZ at my office when I can. Huge pain in the ass cause DayZ Mod and Arma 2/3 doesn't have this problem and never did in development.

It better be because of "Alpha" or we are fudged.

keep in mind too the difference between MMO birds eye view/texture quality, etc (WoW, diablo 3, etc)

to the fps/3rd person

WTF? since when do you download textures? lol...

i can't belive this guy...

edit:

just to clarify, you run textures from your PC, you don't download them all the time...

the reason why most of the MMO's have bad graphics is because of PC requirments.

Edited by Lord_Slayer

I will defer to the experts, but there are plenty of threads about this argument. The conencus seems to be that 225sq km map with all the resources that TOH, Arma use they are the big boys.

no other game has the map size and resources.

to the fps/3rd person

neither map size nor texture size has any relevance to traffic

Map size can be relevant to traffic, it depends on the game engine.

But it would be really stupid if i had to receive information about a guy or loot on the other side of the map...

The traffic seems almost directly correlated to server population and where you are. I have bitmeter running all the time on my computer to monitor my usage and this game averages around 30-60 kB/s but can sometimes jump to as high as 90-150kB/s when I'm around a large city with a lot of players in it.

~150kB/s is an unacceptable amount of traffic for a game. Most online games average what? 5-25 kB/s? It practically makes the game unplayable for anyone with a usage cap.

Also, anyone using standard Verizon 4g wireless network should check out Millenicom for the same network but at $70.00 per month with a 20 GB cap.

Ive seen up to 500MB+ an hour while playing DayZ. Generally, its somewhere between 200 and 400 though.