Sign in to follow this  
dashx73 (DayZ)

Map Converted To Island With Various Weather Climates - Images For Example

Dashx73

If dayz map isn't converted into an island than unfortunately I would have to say "this is not the game ....er... droids I have been looking for, and move on."

Wow, that's a huge overreaction to have over two sides of the game map. Nice drawings, but invisible walls and debug plains are inescapable. And a roughly square-looking island is a far greater suspension of disbelief than the debug plains. A generally snowier area on the map [maybe further north where not too much stuff is on the go] would be excellent though.

Applejaxc

Chernarus isn't an island.

IT ISN'T CANNON!

*Cannon. Go home brony scum.

No to the island, yes to the climate and rad zones

When we were playing earlier, I noticed it seems to take significantly less time to travel to some of the same locations we were used to traveling, almost like they made it smaller.. or took out some of the spaces in-between. But perhaps its just dayz mind games..

They urbanized a lot more of the map and flattened many of the hills, so it really seems like you're traveling less distance, as hills seem to take longer than flat ground.

Also, as much as I'd like a rad zone, I can't really see how it would be justified in Chernarus... Did they have a nuke explosion (Which would require them to level a huge portion of the map) or was there a reactor meltdown (Again, requiring heavy modification to the map and also a reason to justify Chernarus ever building a fission reactor)

Edited by Chaingunfighter

Did they have a nuke explosion (Which would require them to level a huge portion of the map) or was there a reactor meltdown (Again, requiring heavy modification to the map and also a reason to justify Chernarus ever building a fission reactor)

Perhaps Chernarus was attacked by a giant nuclear megalodon squid., that bit chunks out of the land and turned it into an island leaving only a very small sector of radiation as it returned into the ocean! The radiation caused cities to grow from the earth like flowers and expanded the coast, this all happened in such rapid and seemingly impossible speeds that it even changed the weather in various sectors, and turned the citizens into "the walking dead"

who knows? On Dayz Island anything is possible

megalodon-demotivational-poster-12454016

Edited by dashx73

Megalodon was boss....

There are a couple of more realistic reasons I can think of that might make for interesting variations on the theme

1.  A fission reactor that is completely fine, but shut down and not giving off radiation, providing a reason there might be need for a nearby Uranium enrichment plant (also intact and fine) but this gives us a reason there might be a convoy removing waste from the site to a dump location that crashed nearby due to whatever was happening at the time, I think it would be too much to have an entire power plant be the source of radiation, as that would just be too big an area, and the reason for it being there?  well it has to be somewhere, but...   it would not really be something you would find on an island.  

2.  Plane crash, super easy and there is aloready one on the island.  A lot of you may not realise that some civilian aircraft (such as thew boeing 747-100) use depleted uranium as counter weights, so if one of these were to crash it would give us a reason to have low levels of radiation, though someone should do a bit more research to find out a little more about the implications of something like this.

3.  My favourite reason, the use of tactical nuclear weapons (as opposed to strategic nuclear weapons), or the accidental use of them, this would cause a much smaller area to have been affected and would produce higher levels of radiation than DU, though once again, more research would have to be done to learn more of what would be a realistic area of destruction.

I'm sure that we could find a reason for radiation areas, or area, if we really want it in game.

Megalodon was boss....

There are a couple of more realistic reasons I can think of that might make for interesting variations on the theme

1.  A fission reactor that is completely fine, but shut down and not giving off radiation, providing a reason there might be need for a nearby Uranium enrichment plant (also intact and fine) but this gives us a reason there might be a convoy removing waste from the site to a dump location that crashed nearby due to whatever was happening at the time, I think it would be too much to have an entire power plant be the source of radiation, as that would just be too big an area, and the reason for it being there?  well it has to be somewhere, but...   it would not really be something you would find on an island.  

2.  Plane crash, super easy and there is aloready one on the island.  A lot of you may not realise that some civilian aircraft (such as thew boeing 747-100) use depleted uranium as counter weights, so if one of these were to crash it would give us a reason to have low levels of radiation, though someone should do a bit more research to find out a little more about the implications of something like this.

3.  My favourite reason, the use of tactical nuclear weapons (as opposed to strategic nuclear weapons), or the accidental use of them, this would cause a much smaller area to have been affected and would produce higher levels of radiation than DU, though once again, more research would have to be done to learn more of what would be a realistic area of destruction.

I'm sure that we could find a reason for radiation areas, or area, if we really want it in game.

1. Seems somewhat plausible, but I can imagine that security of any nuclear plant and its facilities would be a major military operation and disposal would be handled very carefully, because every government knows exactly what a reactor leak is capable of doing. Not to mention that changing the map to a relatively small island essentially removes the likelihood of a nuclear reactor being there, as there would be no point in building one. 

2. Depleted-uranium, is just that, depleted. It gives off much lower levels of radiation than fission rods and that used in bombs. Trust me, they wouldn't use it in civilian aircraft (and armored vehicles like the M1A1 Abrams tank) if it posed such a hazard to the crews and civilians around it. Granted, long term direct exposure to depleted-uranium will probably cause some adverse health effects, but as a frequent flyer I can tell you that I have not grown any third arms (yet).

3. Even a "tactical" nuclear warhead would decimate a rather large area and render it useless, so they'd better have a damn good reason to use them. A significant portion (much larger than shown on the preview) of the map would need to be ruined and the radiation levels would certainly be lethal. I doubt you're going to find any Level A Hazmat suits in Chernarus (and any that were there would have been used early on due to the virus itself) so it essentially makes the entire idea of a rad zone pointless.

I love this idea.

Edited by Cazz

Chernarus isn't an island though. Actually the map we play in isn't even all of Chernarus.

THIS is Chernarus. And Utes and Takistan and some other places in ArmA2.

Note that Novigrad is the Capital city of Chernarus.

uhuc8V9.jpg

I would prefer they expanded the map all the way out to Novigrad instead of making it an island.

Of course, Novigrad is extremely far away, so I'd be okay with just minor expansion.

The small bit of Chernarus took around 2 or so years to make. Though the island thing is... a semi-decent idea (If it hadn't been done in pretty much every custom DayZ map so far), it probably won't be done just due to the fact it will take forever to make.

I personally don't like the idea. All of the maps in the mod except Takistan and Chernarus - and maybe a few others - were all islands. The only one that was actually good was Namalsk, with an argument that Taviana could be good too.

Edited by mullraugh
  • Like 2

Hello there

If we look at VBS2 there is dynamic map editing.

This shows that it may well be possible to do this.

look at 7.12

Now obviously DAYZ is on a different fork of the RV engine and this kind of editing may differ from the actual world editing in DAYZ, so is not directly comparable, but for me the island solution whilst still not ideal is a better option than the debug plains or *shudder* an invisible forcefield.

Also, its and excuse to post a VBS vid.

Rdgs

LoK

Don't have the time to read every post in the thread but I like the idea. If they do go the island route I would also like to see more off shore islands as well as large river ways that go inland so that we could travel by boat eventually.

No. The rest of the map leads into other parts of Chernarus and Russia, which will be expanded on (there's already a map of it). There's already a road sign for Miroslavl', so I doubt this would ever take favor with Ivan Buchta, who created Chernarus and most of the lore and facts about the country. Besides, it has been confirmed that DayZ takes place in an alternate armaverseum, so your idea is invalid.

The lore demands it.

Is it just me or do those two maps bare no relation to each other? That's Russia, Georgia and Azerbaijan in the 'zoomed out' map.

That part of Chernarus is supposed to correspond to a part of the Czech Republic (which is land locked - according to the post in Armaholic by VonBarb it best fits with a region bounded by a river (not the sea) with Electro being roughly in the same place as a town called Povrly.

Nope. It's never been very clear where the Green Sea is located, and I prefer it that way however. It is not located in the Czech republic, and the architecture is completely different. It's Carpathian with a dab of orthodox. Also, they speak faux Czech (with some speaking Russian), and write in both cryillic and European lettering. Also: CHERNARUS HAS A FACTBOOK. yes, ArmA 2 is connected to DayZ. get over it.

Nope. It's never been very clear where the Green Sea is located, and I prefer it that way however. It is not located in the Czech republic, and the architecture is completely different. It's Carpathian with a dab of orthodox. Also, they speak faux Czech (with some speaking Russian), and write in both cryillic and European lettering. Also: CHERNARUS HAS A FACTBOOK. yes, ArmA 2 is connected to DayZ. get over it.

Actually the green sea is the Caspian Sea. In the VERY beginning of this ArmA2 Trailer, you can see where Chernarus is on the earth.

• Like 1

Very good idea i had the same similar thought about this myself, beans to you good sir! 

Edited by Henrik115

http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/1wim05/dayz_map_converted_to_island_with_various_climates/

It's never fun to find the edge of a game world that looks like this... so I came up with a  solution that I think will create a better environment for dayz.

QHxm_Vwr_1.jpg

I have converted the map into an island to give an example of what I would like to see.

Chernarus Plus Island Map

Dayz_Island_Small.jpg

[LARGE MAP HERE] 

Furthermore I think various climate zones could be implemented later on,

Including climates like "snow, desert, or radiation"

These climates could require additional or specialized equipment to enter these areas, such as gas masks, rad pills, heat packs or warm winter gloves and jackets, or in the case of a desert area, require extra water, or perhaps the need to take your clothing off during the day, and wear it during the night.

Dayz_Radiation_and_Snow_small.jpg

What do you think?

p.s here is another post I made about converting the looting into container scavenging. http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/168389-loot-able-objects-like-the-fridge/

It would be interesting to see some expansions but it would NOT work with the lore at all. In the lore the place DayZ is set in is the Northern Province of Chernarus, South Zagoria. Not an island

I was about to start a thread like this. The edges of the map are immersion-breaking, featureless landscapes.

At the very least the edges of the map should be unscaleable mountains or hugely irradiated wastelands, but my vote is for an island.

i dont want to chernarus to be island but i like the size of the map on pictures and if they map look like that would be awesome

Because it was the easiest way of doing it. Do you remember San Andreas?

Why does every sandbox need to be an island?

It is in Russia, not an island.

I disagree with your idea, it happens.

Doesn't mean it's a bad idea.

Glad you deleted the "world is a giant island" remark.

I was about to call you out on that one. :)

It is not in Russia though. Chernarus is fictional country that is made in shape of a part in Czech Republic.

But since it is fictional anyway, this could be made to anything (since in reality, the matching place does not end with ocean/sea. The Chernarus coastline is actually a river but the other side of river is cut off in game.

That being said, it doesn't have to be an island but something should be done with these debug plains - anything that would take away that endless empty space. Actually, being surrounded by sea would add a better sense of space on the map since that empty debug space only makes you feel like you are in a box where you can't get out of. Plus the sea would be much more realistic than empty land.