Sign in to follow this  
Cullis

Extremely Non-Fun Game. But Fun, Strangely.

Fun game, even though it's complete non-fun really.

Hmm, let's sum it up. Spawned at Solnichny, drank some water, was chasd to the first hamlet west of it. Then walked west some more, found an axe at farm building east of Dolina. Then cleaned out Dolina, got wounded by zombies. Managed to lose my t-shirt. Found another on a corpse of a dead girl standing - standing corpse with a zombie next to it.Weird. 

Found some food there, found big backpack  at factory north  of Dolina, went to Polana, killed some zombies, then was wounded. Logged out, logged in. Yep, still bleeding somewhat. Logged out, asked the nice people at Reddit for a bandage. Great guys, they took 15 minutes, came to Polana. I logged in, but somehow I managed to die in the meantime. 

:_____::

Next life. I spawn at Kamyshevo, find a  baseball bat. Along the way I find a guy who had no items on him, who broke his legs. He asks me to kill him, so I comply.

Next I get to Elektro. Kill a zombie on the beach, get scratched, bandage myself., but it took me about a minute.  I loot the northern firehouse. Nothing much. Then I come out of the back - a dead guy, with magnum, fireaxe, some nice boots & gloves.

I explore elektro, find a medkit. A medkit! I switch to a sparsely populated server, hoping to find more loot in the same houses. I know, it's a bit cheezy but I was really missing a backpack. 

So, I meet one guy. He has an axe, but he runs away. With hindsight, I can't say I blame him. Inside the other firehouse, there's a guy with an axe. I move away, 10m, put away my axe. I ask him to put his axe away , he asks whether I killed his friend. I tell him no, I just got to this server.

Then he gets a little nearer, I'm thinking, he can't hear me, right? The voice talk volume attenuates with distance. He gets within 3ms, then lunges at me and hits me with the fireaxe.

"You are dead". 

Uh, okay. Now I understand why people run away from other players. I think I'll do the same from now on. 
Also, how could've I've been so thick. Damn. And I had a medkit :-(

Anyway, I run towards it. Find some zombies. Turn away. Then I hear shots from behind. A guy takes out some of them. Okay, so I approach him. He has lots of kit, gas mask, etc doesn't have a gun out.
There's a zombie nearby (15m). I tell him, hey, you gotta take that one out, what if it attacks. So he goes and disposes of it. 

Then he comes back, says something. Can't remember what. Then he takes out a pistol and shoots me twice, saying, in his most menacing reedy teenager voice 'I'm at war with your mother'. 

"You are dead".

Sociopath simulator indeed. 

Next time, I spawn east of Msta. I headed west, found backpack, compass, helmet and canteen. I even have rags. But no weapon, nowhere. I guess I'll be heading towards the airfield, and kit out there. But what then? 

Also, if someone doesn't want to put away his weapon, fukken run or whack him.I guess. 

I'll probably try to kit out and play medic a little. 
Edited by Cullis
  • Like 5

I'll probably try to kit out and play medic a little.

Don't do that. Just if it's a nice server with good people, otherwise while you are giving someone a blood bag or a saline bag, they'll kill you. Trust me, I tried being a doctor and got killed twice by "friendly players" that I saved.

But that's my advice for you, if you want to take that risk, you can do it. But be very careful.

Edited by DiscordWhooves
  • Like 3

Well, welcome to DayZ. Try to live with the fact that there are some little 12 year old boys who are going to kill you & insult your mother through the voice chat with their squeaky voice. Get used to this, surviving is the object of this game, and getting killed & losing everything is a part of it. Just continue to play it and you'll survive longer, trust me. I'm not even scared of players with melee weapons anymore as fresh spawn, if they try to attack me, they're knocked out in no time (go for the head!).

Don't do that. Just if it's a nice server with good people, otherwise while you are giving someone a blood bag or a saline bag, they'll kill you. Trust me, I tried being a doctor and got killed twice by "friendly players" that I saved.

But that's my advice for you, if you want to take that risk, you can do it. But be very careful.

I'd only do it If I had another guy covering us both with an AR. No other freaking way. I know a couple of guys from RO2, a game which promotes cooperation and camaraderie.

Edited by Cullis
  • Like 1

Well, welcome to DayZ. Try to live with the fact that there are some little 12 year old boys who are going to kill you & insult your mother through the voice chat with their squeaky voice. Get used to this, surviving is the object of this game, and getting killed & losing everything is a part of it. Just continue to play it and you'll survive longer, trust me. I'm not even scared of players with melee weapons anymore as fresh spawn, if they try to attack me, they're knocked out in no time (go for the head!).

Strafing is pretty hard to do. Too bad there's no training mode, where one could practice HtH combat.

The guy with the axe killed me with one hit. Nasty. Anyway, I know, one has to run away. 

At least whacking zombies is satisfying, so far.

Yeah its weird... When you talk about it, walking, looting, eating, drinking not much to the game but it is addictive.

My first couple of lives kinds sucked...  had only a crowbar for the longest time, bled out eventually just trying to fend off the eagle eye zombies.

Heh. I'm pretty happy.

It seems killing solitary zombies with gloved hands is pretty doable. You gotta land one hit on their head, they seem to go down. Then just keep hitting them while they're down or trying to get up, repeat.

Lots of adrenaline though, but at least I don't have to run from every pesky little zombie I encounter.

BTW - does this work without gloves too?

I have taken to putting "NO KOS" or PVE in the filter for servers.  There are some out there that frown on bandit behavior.  Does that guarantee I'm not going to get shot by another player?  I'm not that stupid.  But at the very least SOMEONE decided to try and play a friendly style.  That's good enough for me.

At this point I also refuse to play at night.  With brightness and gamma turned all the way up I still cannot see anything, or at least enough to play.  Not a fan of any of the "here I am come shoot me" lighting devices.  I'd like to get a little more experience under my belt and some more familiarity with the maps before I venture out into the scary darkness.

I have had this DayZ Sa now for little bit over week and find out that some people are good and some are sadistic. I have had about 20 characters and they have been dying in numerous ways. Now I have a tactics to survive, one of them is "sleep loggin", ive never done combat logging or loot logging but sleep logging. It goes this way, when im fresh spawn i choose morning server and then I try to survive until its night then I go into building and log out and choose server where its morning again cause why I would play at night time cause in real life I would never not go out into zombie apocalypse at night time . Btw is my character using amphetamine cause he is never tired? 

being a medic in DayZ may require a certain level of frustration tolerance. but it can also be very rewarding.

• Like 5

I have taken to putting "NO KOS" or PVE in the filter for servers. 

Does that actually mean anything? Is there a server setting for that. Is if enforceable? I can't find anything on that.

So next time. I play on hardcore, spawn at elektro, make my way north, meet up with another guy. We go through Sobors, dispatch zombies together, all fine. Get to mil base north of Dichina with decent basic gear. I find a freaking magnum, then I try to load it. But it wouldn't load, there wasn't any attachment space for the ammo or anything? Ugh... 

Everything's fine, no one there.Or so it seems... :-/

I exit the barracks. Server restarts.. I lose connection. So I rejoin.

I respawn back in the barracks. I turn right, there's some guy in body armor, gas mask. He doesn't say anything, just shoots me with a pistol.  I tell my buddy where he is, so he circles around .. 

Buddy had an M4 he found before restart.

Bastard was greedy, checking out newly respawned stuff, so he gets iced by my buddy. 

At least something is right in the world! Heh.

But how did he get there so quickly? He must've been there before the restart. 

I guess, one should note wheter any doors are open, and if they are, be really sneaky. At least we split up there, so he couldn't get both of us at once.

Edited by Cullis

I would never not go out into zombie apocalypse at night time . 

Depends on whether you have night vision. I don't have it yet but I plan on buying 2nd gen goggles next year. 

Also, if it's not windy, one can hear amazing amounts of stuff. No chance a zombie could sneak up on you. 

Zombies should smell, so I'm thinking, if there's light breeze, and you're downwind of them, maybe there should be a text message :-)

Remember that military areas are KILL ON SIGHT

Yeah, my experiences so far support that conclusion, but should it be that way? 

Edited by Cullis

DayZ. The anti-game game that's fun but isn't.

its a beautiful thing and that's the ugly truth

• Like 1

Does that actually mean anything? Is there a server setting for that. Is if enforceable? I can't find anything on that.

So next time. I play on hardcore, spawn at elektro, make my way north, meet up with another guy. We go through Sobors, dispatch zombies together, all fine. Get to mil base north of Dichina with decent basic gear. I find a freaking magnum, then I try to load it. But it wouldn't load, there wasn't any attachment space for the ammo or anything? Ugh... 

Everything's fine, no one there.Or so it seems... :-/

I exit the barracks. Server restarts.. I lose connection. So I rejoin.

I respawn back in the barracks. I turn right, there's some guy in body armor, gas mask. He doesn't say anything, just shoots me with a pistol.  I tell my buddy where he is, so he circles around .. 

Buddy had an M4 he found before restart.

Bastard was greedy, checking out newly respawned stuff, so he gets iced by my buddy. 

At least something is right in the world! Heh.

But how did he get there so quickly? He must've been there before the restart. 

I guess, one should note wheter any doors are open, and if they are, be really sneaky. At least we split up there, so he couldn't get both of us at once.

Probably this guy just placed his char there logged out and waited for the server restart then logged in to loot all the new spawned loot many people are doing that.

Does it mean anything?  No... it unenforceable.  I'm hoping that whoever joins takes that playstyle to heart.  I know for a fact that if its NOT in the server description I have no hope of it being the known policy on the server.  Call it a false sense of security.  I don't believe there is a server setting for it... I'm just hoping that people of like mindedness will populate the server.

Even if I just get reasonably geared and then head back to the Wild Wild West servers where I have to watch my 6 at all times and trust no one.  It's rather frustrating to be an inexperienced player... struggle to find a back pack... lucky enough to find a fire axe... a can of beans or two and then step out of a building carefully to be picked off by a sniper 500m away because some douchebag thought it was fun to kill the newspawns.

I know its a game, but in DayZ I could never be so ruthless and ungrateful.  In other games i play, I can be more ruthless (aka kicking people from my team etc), but its bc nothing really happens to that person except that they have to find a new lobby or game (no saved items or levels to lose etc).

The guy with the axe killed me with one hit. Nasty. Anyway, I know, one has to run away. 

lol, i've learned that running is the best option too (if i am unarmed)

Remember that military areas are KILL ON SIGHT

very much so

Hey guys and OP if your looking for a friendly server (well, more friendly than most) you should check out the CQF server in clan recruitment and then go to their website to get the IP address for it

I'm part of another friendly group so if you see my name or any CQF guys you bound to find someone friendly though there's still bandits there as it isn't NON KOS

It's just a small oasis where more friendliness can be found

How is this possible? I make my way into the northern airbase on a pretty sparse server (6 people). It seems ransacked. I keep listening, from time to time, but no movement sounds, ever.  I make my way into the ATC tower, check it out. No one, empty. I head downwards, and now I hear ammo loading sounds. 

So I try to take out the axe, thinking, whoever is making those sounds gotta be under the stairs. Strangely it doesn't seem to come out, wtf? 

Anyway. I hear a shot and get the message 'you're dead'. But either someone hopped into the tower a while before and shot me from behind, or there's more lag than one can imagine. 

Edited by Cullis

How is this possible? I make my way into the northern airbase on a pretty sparse server (6 people). It seems ransacked. I keep listening, from time to time, but no movement sounds, ever.  I make my way into the ATC tower, check it out. No one, empty. I head downwards, and now I hear ammo loading sounds. 

So I try to take out the axe, thinking, whoever is making those sounds gotta be under the stairs. Strangely it doesn't seem to come out, wtf? 

Anyway. I hear a shot and get the message 'you're dead'. But either someone hopped into the tower a while before and shot me from behind, or there's more lag than one can imagine. 

if someone spawns with a weapon that uses ammo and they are close to you, you will hear the ammo loading sound. chances are he just joined the server you were on in the same location as you and followed the KOS rule for military areas. just bad luck there.

This game needs some MAD weapon, like hand granade, so instead of a "surrender" motion you can put up "we are all dead" motion, to stop KOS. Would not work in open spaces, but could do wanders for behaviour inside closed spaces.

This game needs some MAD weapon, like hand granade, so instead of a "surrender" motion you can put up "we are all dead" motion, to stop KOS. Would not work in open spaces, but could do wanders for behaviour inside closed spaces.

If it won't have hand grenades, I'll go to Prague and demand my money back.

A game that has military bases, presumably military ammo dumps, and no hand-grenades? There are grenades in Arma so.. 

I'm thinking though - this game is perfect in how makes the case for almost all computer gaming being pointless*.

You do stuff, for arbitrary reasons, in a non-realistic and internally inconsistent game (how can a zombie see if it's eyes are rotting?). Mostly, not much thinking is involved, so it's boring. But investing said boredom into it makes dying horrible and thus gives the game a sort of emotional investment  uncommon to other FPS's.

The endless, tedious activities (exploration) seem rewarding because of random loot finds.. eh. That's classic behaviorist psychology - using random rewards to promote behavior.

Few things in it are relevant to real-world interactions, and won't ever be due to it's population being almost exclusively teens/adult men with too much  time on their hands..

While this is laudable from a certain POV, -young adult men with too much time on their hands are trouble, especially to the status quo.... 

*and thus a waste of time. 

Edited by Cullis

DayZ should come with free memberships to a fetish dating site. After all, it helps so many people come to terms with their deep seeded inner masochist!

DayZ should come with free memberships to a fetish dating site. After all, it helps so many people come to terms with their deep seeded inner masochist!

It's not just masochism. Red Orchestra 2 is for masochists, with what it being a very good simulator of repeatedly getting shot in the head unless you think very, very hard and are lucky.

DayZ has, and is always going to have extreme amounts of tedium, that is, time spent doing repeated, boring tasks. Because that's what makes it special- and that's what makes people attached to their in-game possessions. 

OP, get some friends to play with. And NO ! Dont be a medic. Be a bandit and when more features come to the game, you can choose your path.

Being a bandit will help you learn to aim/shoot, there is nothing else to do now. At the moment there are no friendlies. Later with bases and other stuff added you can RP more and by that time you'l have learned how to use guns so you can defend yourself. Just dont shoot bambies on the coast, wait till the get some gear for you ;)