Sign in to follow this  
KerrSG1

Allow Server Configurable Pve Only

can this thread be locked yet? nothing interesting is being said, and people are being petty wankers to each other. 

there will be no PvE only settings, also i would like to add that there will be no minimap, no killstreaks, no spawn with guns, no more than 100 vehicles on the map, no skateboards, no generic ammunition for assault rifles, no jetpacks, no hovercrafts, no board games added to the loot tables, no iphones, no illegal drugs, no psytrance, no adult nappies, no reality tv shows on dvd, and certainly no popping and/or locking. 

/motherfucking thread.

• Like 1

Pve would remove half of the survival aspect which this game is all about. Will never happen officially but you can do it on private hives all you want.

Edited by myshl0ng

"PvE Servers" when there is no PvE to speak of at the moment is a pointless endeavor.

Revisit this idea when more survival mechanics and I dont know.. .ZOMBIES... are implemented ;p
Still.. Such a request is robbing yourself of the spirit of the game. In most zombie entertainment media? The humans always prove to be worse than the Zeds.

Edited by Rudette
  • Like 1

A very interesting Thread... reminds me of an excellent T.V doco the BBC did years ago called "Humans will Betray you" (its on Youtube somewhere if u want to spend a few hours braining up) it looked at how this very arguement is implemented in modern government (no kidding), and how it effected the world. It also looked at a situation called the prisoners Dilemma (wiki link, have a read) if both of the individuals involved co-operate, the both walk away rewarded, however if both distrusts the other, they loose nothing, but if one decides to rip off the other, and the other one trusts, then the dishonest one actually wins both the loot and the reward.. its very telling. A lot of research was done on it, and it proved that in the short term the "bandit " approach is a winning situation, you gain for the short term is high. but over the long term, co operation/mutual respect method wins. They listed several examples, but the one I am most familiar with is the Reef fish cleaning stations, where large Alpha predator fish wait at certain areas in the troppical reefs, to have their teeth and scales cleaned by lots of little fish. these little fish dart in and out of the mouth of the bigger fish, doing their cleaning job without fear. The big fish could of course gobble up these little fish, but it doesn't. further study found that in reefs that were destroyed (by us) the large fish were very sick and rough looking in bad condition, infested with parasites.

I sort of see the same effect going on with this game.. it really is a "test of character" .. do you shoot some noob spawn cause you can? do you give him/her a can of tuna and some pipsi? .. Honestly i do like the constant threat of death.. i creep around bushes and follow tree lines, I am always watching over my shoulder just incase, and after being murderd in the dark a few times, i wont play night servers any more :P  .. those damn zombies love to smack your light into "ruined" status if you are not fast enough, that and i had someone creep up on me and kill me as i was eating in the dark...

One thing i am enjoying is learning the map. Its really going to be very interesting when its all finished, fully populated with Z's, and some extra buildings and scenes. if i was on a PvE server, i would be wandering the map exploring. If i am on a pvp server, im doing the same, but watching my back and being paranoid (very paranoid)....when it becomes posible to live in the forest without having to rely on the towns, i will be all cammo'd up and doing just that. can't wait.

can this thread be locked yet? nothing interesting is being said, and people are being petty wankers to each other. 

there will be no PvE only settings, also i would like to add that there will be no minimap, no killstreaks, no spawn with guns, no more than 100 vehicles on the map, no skateboards, no generic ammunition for assault rifles, no jetpacks, no hovercrafts, no board games added to the loot tables, no iphones, no illegal drugs, no psytrance, no adult nappies, no reality tv shows on dvd, and certainly no popping and/or locking. 

/motherfucking thread.

Again, a person just sooooo offended by something that would never affect them.  And nice absurd argument there, no one has asked for anything other than PVE in this thread, but since you are incapable of understanding the appeal you try to group the request with ridiculous other items.

Again, no one has provided one coherent single argument how allowing PVE only servers will affect THEM if they want to stay on PVP servers.  None.  It's just 'I'm offended'  Well, tough.  You aren't free from being offended.  There is no protection or guarantee no one will ever offend you.  Get over it.

Secondly, people keep saying how the goal is for everyone to be geared up at start with servers that give you fully kitted M4s.  Who said that?  No one.  There are still environmental factors, disease, food/water and zombies to worry about.  The zombies will become more numerous and more dangerous as time goes on, so there will be increasing PVE threat as times goes on.  Is there much threat now if a server was PVE?  No, but so what?  You still aren't being forced onto something you don't want to play.

Lastly, this quote is most telling:

There's just two dudes standing around, weighted down by their backpacks full of the best gear with nothing to use it for. 

This should tell you exactly what this player's mindset is.  "Get gear because the only purpose is to kill other players."  It should be clear now exactly what this player believes, that this game is designed and meant only to be a people killer in game, that there is no other purpose for anything in the game.  Bravo for outing yourself.

It's not about how it affects me, so much as how it sales yourself short and robs you of the full DayZ experience.

Isn't the Lack of PvE to speak of a compelling argument enough?

There are not environmental factors to worry about, none that can't easily be managed in the current state of the game. The only disease, currently, comes from rotten food that you can avoid eating. The Zombies are laughable in their current state. For the environment to truly be hostile you need more zombies, better, stronger, faster, with immensely improved AI. You need weather effects and disease, sickness, hypothermia, and other such mechanics that pose a persistent foreboding threat to you. As it stands disease barely has a presence, hunger and thirst are easy to stave off, and -once again- zombies are lulz.

The spirit of this game is human interaction. This is also part of my argument: If you force everyone to be trust worthy, you truly rob yourself of lots of personal horror and paranoia that are indeed a major part of the game. You really should wait for the game to get more developed. When you have a common enemy, when you have more risks to manage, when there is more to do? Then the KoSing will level out some. But it should never be completely gone, the element of betrayal and surprise should never be completely gone.

Finally, being friendly is about more than walking up arms waving like a bafoon! You have to take charge of situations, follow the rules of engagement, never needlessly expose yourself to people who look sketchy, never put your neck out when you don't have an exit strategy or an advantage.

I also recommend Hardcore servers for the time beings, who know why, but the friendly population is higher there. You might get more of what you're seeking on such a server.

In short, KoS is a result of lack of content.

Really. Don't give up before the game has even started. That's just... Disgusting and weak.

Edited by Rudette

Honestly? Disgusting and weak? Or was that a punch line from somewhere else and I'm missing the fun?

Honestly!

Amputating what makes social interaction exciting and giving up on yourself is easily categorized as weak. Not seeing the bigger picture, and where the game development is heading is short sighted. The social dynamics, or lack there of, that drive one to want a PvE server will get better in time. When there is more to do. Asking for PvE servers when there is no challenge in the current PvE is kind of absurd.

Someone put it like this once. Can't recall who unfortunately. But basically they used the analogy that we're all essentially spiders in a jar with nothing else to do but turn our fangs on each other. I would appreciate it if you would gleam the message I'm trying to send with my statements rather than the little negative snippet, which is meant to be more of a motivator than an insult.

Edited by Rudette

Right now PvE is absurd, I agree. Still, I don't understand why does it offend people that another group of people doesn't care about the "hard core" experience side of the game and wants to play it in a more relaxed and creative way (in the future, when the game is finished and Dean Hall is a millionaire). There's a lot of people out there who just need games to play and not to experience a whole lot of stuff that you could easily go out the door and experience first hand (the human interaction part that you mention I mean). I don't care why people would want to play this game the hardcore way or the easy way (it's a game after all and nothing more), I'm just surprised that it is being considered such a serious issue.

Edited by Corto

I have not read the last 10 pages of this thread, but if there are enough players that want a PvE option in DayZ, I don't see any problem with Rocket including is an option for the game for non-hive servers. The big question is whether zombies alone could be enough of a threat to provide good game play for players.

Personally, I want PvE and PvP to both be strong factors in DayZ.

I have not read the last 10 pages of this thread, but if there are enough players that want a PvE option in DayZ, I don't see any problem with Rocket including is an option for the game for non-hive servers. The big question is whether zombies alone could be enough of a threat to provide good game play for players.

Personally, I want PvE and PvP to both be strong factors in DayZ.

I haven't played the mod version. But friends who have, told me that you can easily die of hypothermia at night, specially if you got wet. If that's true, that alone could make playing this game PvE only a nice but relaxed challenge. I also believe that the amount of zombies in the mod can get dangerous if you get mobbed while looting towns. I would like to add that I believe, like Rudette said, right now the KoS is just an issue because the lack of challenge from environmental factors. I want to believe that when the game is near completion, people is going to band together against the environment in a natural way. Right now it's too soon to judge if a PvE only option is really useful.

I'm not sorry at all about directing people away from this game in it's current state.  I wouldn't wish the level of frustration of dealing with those 'bored players' on friends.  Yes, it's Alpha, so I'm not bothering to complain about the bugs or glitchy rubber banding or other twerky behavior.  I have no problem with the way rubber banding send me off the top of a building under construction because it snapped me back at an inopportune time.  That's Alpha.  But allowing a core decision like allowing PVE only servers is something that needs to be addressed early and not wait until after a full release because if that's the case then you've already alienated a large player base before the full release.  Make the game be compatible with 100% of available player base and you have a more successful game than a game that is set to only be compatible with 20-30% of players.

Let them alienate whoever they want. Again, a lot of us are tired of being sold on a core game concept, only to have it later switched because a bunch of casual gamers jumped on, found it too hard and wanted it watered down.

I get what you're saying about having your own private PvE servers, and that will happen in time. But diverting whatever resources the dev team has to make people happy who don't even like what the game is trying to be is foolish. The dev team IS trying to work on incentives not to KOS, but shooting people and / or robbing people will always be an integral part of this game.

And you keep using the term "griefing". I honestly don't think you understand what that word means.

• Like 1

Right now PvE is absurd, I agree. Still, I don't understand why does it offend people that another group of people doesn't care about the "hard core" experience side of the game and wants to play it in a more relaxed and creative way (in the future, when the game is finished and Dean Hall is a millionaire). There's a lot of people out there who just need games to play and not to experience a whole lot of stuff that you could easily go out the door and experience first hand (the human interaction part that you mention I mean). I don't care why people would want to play this game the hardcore way or the easy way (it's a game after all and nothing more), I'm just surprised that it is being considered such a serious issue.

Let me try to explain.

A lot of time, games are ruined because developers try to please too many people. Features like unnecessary multiplayer in a single player game, quick time events to make things easier for players, and copy+pasting features from popular games.

Anywho who could do even a TINY bit of research before hitting "purchase" could find out what this game is about, what the community is like and what players do to each other on a regular basis. People still buy it and then whine that it's not a relaxing, casual game and the dev team should divert resources to implement new features to cater to them.

Well, how about go buy one of the 1,000,000 million other zombie survival games out on the market that are easier? Like someone else said, go buy State of Decay.

I'm not exactly the hardest of hardcore gamers anymore, as I'm getting older. And I have no issue with people getting private servers outside of the hive and doing whateeeever they want. But right now, Rocket isn't exactly a huge studio. They need to focus, right now, on making the game in the vision they have. Diverting those resources to water this down and remove core concepts might seem easy. "All they have to do is flip a switch and turn off player damage on each other". Well, it's usually a bit more complex than that, might have bugs of it's own, and possibly people finding ways around it to still kill players that would divert more resources to go in and fix.

So that's why people are getting push back.

• Like 1

I also recommend Hardcore servers for the time beings, who know why, but the friendly population is higher there. You might get more of what you're seeking on such a server.

In short, KoS is a result of lack of content.

Actually I have been playing on a Hardcore server.  I've ran across one person.  I was in the Elektro firehouse picking up some loot and he comes rushing through the door, axe held in hands and starts taking swings at me.  I dodged around him, drew my Magnum and he started running out the door.  I fired a round, wasn't sure if I actually hit him, and followed him out the door to find him face down bleeding out like a bitch. I took his stuff and let him bleed to death.

My point?  

NOT A FUCKING WORD FROM HIM.  So far, 100% KOS experience even on a Hardcore server. Immediate KOS attempt, without any legitimate reason.  There were at least TWO other Magnums in the place, and if he hadn't immediately attacked I'd have been fine with him looting them as well.  A friendly introduction, anything, would have been at least some demonstration of civility.  

I have yet to find a single instance of not being able to find supplies, the scarcity is simply not there.  Those who use that as an excuse are just kidding themselves trying to excuse their behavior. There is enough to see and explore without people going KOS, they simply choose to for the purpose of being douche bags because the internet allows them anonymity.

Edited by KerrSG1

So far you get kos because the game is in alpha and people playing don't get enough of a challenge against environment. Once it's finished, and zombies swarm you from behind a barn or hypothermia becomes a serious issue, you will see how people starts helping each other more often. I'm not against PvE, it sounds like it could work for some people without breaking the game like many here are afraid of, but your argument is starting to get old Kerr. I have bad news, you chose the wrong game buddy. I understand you, but still, this is not the kind of game you should be playing right now. In fact, when I want to shoot everything that moves, I quit DayZ and fire up Battlefield 3 or something similar. If I shoot people in DayZ is because everybody's on edge and everybody kills on sight.

Edited by Corto

Look man. Most games these days cater to people like you that want it easy. This isn't "World of Spoonfeeding". This is Dayz and Rocket is making a game that most game companies are afraid to make because of people like you, people that won't buy it unless there is an easy button. This game is meant to be hard core and it's going to stay that way.

I'm on my 35th straight hour (minus the one punch I took in the face that sent me unconscious, but got revived) with no death and that's spending 95% of my time in Electro and having at least 30 battles.

Continue playing the game, gather some skills, learn to stay alive and then you might learn to enjoy it.

Very well said.. and so very true.. I cant believe how many people come and sook on the forums because they just dont get what this game is trying to do. Going against the mold of shit games with the spoon feeding.. My interest in games as I get older was fading indefinitely because by comparison is always so easy. 

It feels as if I'm in on a big secret with all my DayZ pals here on this website and that makes me feel like a gitty little school kid (girl

• Like 2

I think it is extremely funny how the OP permanently asked for points that speak against PVE, but as they are told he fails to provide an answer.

Enabling PVE-servers takes away time from the devs, they would have to think of ways to solve the problems that have been named before:

Training Zombies towards other players, injecting wrong blood, force feeding, etc. All these things are not simply on/off switches but take a lot of effort to balance out so that PVE-servers could work. In the future more problems would arise, every feature would need to be checked how it would affect PVE and if it could be used to kill other players.

So if a programming solution can't be found, the best thing to do is to provide a set of rules that is checked by the servers admins. This can't work on a public PVE hive, admins are not allowed to ban on the PVP hive and they wont be allowed to on the PVE hive. In addition to make it work on a public hive, the team would need to create a ruleset. Looking at how many people argue over the current hosting rules, I doubt that would be a good idea (and again, who should enforce that?).

Finally PVE folks would demand content. While the people who currently think PVE is a good idea, more (worse) people would follow. They'd cry for "bosses", more interesting PVE etc. Which then would take even more time away from the devs creating the game they initially wanted it to be. Don't get me wrong here, I don't mind having a more interesting PVE experience myself, but it should be balanced towards the PVP aspect of the game.

Wait for private hives, write down your own set of server rules and enforce them yourself.

Then you will have to deal with all those people who try to evade the rules by finding holes in them yourself.

Edited by Baarn
  • Like 2

So I've been playing on Hardcore servers having read that people are generally less douche bags there.  So far I've encountered people 7 times.  Twice was friendly, 5 times involved being shot without a word said from them.  So that still shows a 71% douche bag ratio for the Hardcore servers, from people who look out for only one purpose, to ruin other people's fun.  

Snipers scare me all the time. Even if there arent any i move as though there r. Pvp is crutial to the tension of this game. As is permadeath. I play to help other players most of the time but its cool not to know if they kos or not. Ive been playing for a couple weeks and most of the time people are willing to communicate at least. Last time i was kosed, i was shouting "im starving" and "friendly". I had a few things but no food. He didnt care and gunned me down without a word. I had a blast through the whole thing. The closest thing to pve this game needs is more zombies in cities, so players are encouraged to work together, not required. Unknown intentions of players is core.

It is quite amazing really to read this whole "I want / I don't want" exchange.

This game's purpose is to show people what would it be like if that kind of environment really existed. OP the game is here not to please you. It is here to show you how quick you would really die if you were who you are now in case world would happen to become dayz place. There is no point playing this game if people are not people. Read a little about what this world was like before governments and police started to exist and you will find out how many people died because of one bad man. Even easier example for you. Read about hitler and you will see how many died because the didn't manage to survive. You might want this game to be PVE but then there is no point of this game at all because there is no full range of human nature involved. This game is about survival against human nature and not about casual killing of brainless creatures. 

It is quite amazing really to read this whole "I want / I don't want" exchange.
This game's purpose is to show people what would it be like if that kind of environment really existed. OP the game is here not to please you. It is here to show you how quick you would really die if you were who you are now in case world would happen to become dayz place. There is no point playing this game if people are not people. Read a little about what this world was like before governments and police started to exist and you will find out how many people died because of one bad man. Even easier example for you. Read about hitler and you will see how many died because the didn't manage to survive. You might want this game to be PVE but then there is no point of this game at all because there is no full range of human nature involved. This game is about survival against human nature and not about casual killing of brainless creatures. 

Did you really just bring up Hitler?  You do realize that is the worst kind of debating imaginable in any debate.

AGAIN, how would having a THIRD option added, so you'd have Hardcore/Regular/PVE Only, harm your ability to play with PVP enabled?  

I recommend you learn a thing or two about debating before you bring up Hitler again.  

Did you really just bring up Hitler?  You do realize that is the worst kind of debating imaginable in any debate.

AGAIN, how would having a THIRD option added, so you'd have Hardcore/Regular/PVE Only, harm your ability to play with PVP enabled?  

I recommend you learn a thing or two about debating before you bring up Hitler again.  

Ok lets NOT mention bad people ever again and then they would never exist and the problem of evil will be sorted for good. Fine.

In that case explain to me how NOT having the PVE option harms your ability to play the game as it is. Everyone else seems to be able to play just fine.

And just so you acuse me of being a bad person of any kind - I have killed other player once when he asked me to do so due to broken legs and I have no intention to do so again but I was killed by other players. It never stopped me trying again.

Ok lets NOT mention bad people ever again and then they would never exist and the problem of evil will be sorted for good. Fine.

In that case explain to me how NOT having the PVE option harms your ability to play the game as it is. Everyone else seems to be able to play just fine.

Are you 14?  Because I've got to tell you, everyone knows about Hitler.  It's also the worst debate tactic to compare anyone or anything to Hitler or Nazis.  Look it up, learn, and get back to me.

How does NOT having a PVE option harm the ability to play the game?  People who rampantly, without thought, and without any regard to play who KOS are infesting servers.

DayZ is all about KOS...in a way.

If you took out the fear of knowing you could get snipped at any moment, the game would loose what makes it so amazing.

This game is all about interaction with strangers and how people will react.

Take that away, then all you have is an extremely long game of gearing up for no reason.

What the hell is there to do without other players? Kill zeds? Gimmie a break.

Even when the game is done and you can build bases and drive cars.

What would be the point of building a base if theres no one to defend it from?

Why would you spend all the time fixing up a car if all your going to do is drive around by yourself?

The only kind of PVE experience I could see in the future is maybe a mod that has a co-op horde mode or something like L4D, I dunno?

To me what your suggesting is taking away what makes DayZ, DayZ and turning it into another shit game that caters to people that can't handle this kind of gameplay.

Edited by TEST_SUBJECT_83