Sign in to follow this  
KerrSG1

Allow Server Configurable Pve Only

Gentlemen, you've created an interesting game that I've been playing for a few weeks.  That was until this last weekend where when enough word got out about this game, from articles calling it the 'perfect murder simulator' and such, that you have attracted the worst of the internet.  The griefer douche bags are out in force now, and a game that was interesting and had me intrigued is now dead to me.  I have begun actively shoeing people away from your game because it is simply not fun anymore.

I have and exclusively been playing on servers that list "No KOS" or "PVE Only" with the hope of meeting other people who are interested in collaboration, or at least not being douche bags, or even just demonstrating some even remotely social/RP capabilities.  I've helped a lot of people, helped direct them to water sources and gave suggestions on where to go to get supplies, gave some advice on how to perform actions in game, etc.  Most people I met were actually pretty interesting people, with enough social grace to demonstrate they didn't exist exclusively to ruin other people's fun.  Some people were very skittish, understandably, and I never pressed or got too close to give them a level of comfort.  Some people were even a little aggressive, keeping weapons out and advancing somewhat threateningly, and in some cases even attacked.  Fine, that's to be expected.  However, in the last couple weekends the system has become so infested with the griefers any attempt to play has been absolutely total frustration.  It started with being shot in the back while at a well.  I only barely saw my attacker as I spun as bleeding out. The griefer didn't even have the skill to kill with one shot and the second finished me.  After respawning and heading back into one of the smaller towns I gathered supplies and headed out of town to get some better items down the road.  On the way out of town, three people demanded I kneel and surrender.  Even that I could accept, these were people who were actually interacting and even doing a little RP.  Fine, either way I evaded them, escaped and went further along.  Shortly before a burnt out bus, I see a person running on the road in my direction who immediately pealed off the road, raised a rifle to his shoulder.  I went off road and into trees hearing the crack of a rifle as yet another KOS griefer tried to take me down.  Running through the brush I eventually lost him before getting back on the road.  After entering a larger city I made my way to a hospital and gathered a few supplies, attracting the attention of a few Zeds.  While dealing with them someone runs up with a rifle, I even expected him to shoot the Zeds.  No, he starts taking pot shots at me.  Fortunately I'm ducking and juking enough while taking down 3 Zeds with a baseball bat that he completely misses me and I simply fled to get out of his line of fire.  No word from him, simply started taking shots at me.  While running around another building a second person runs out of a building and immediately opens fire, again, no word, no demonstration of any social skills what so ever.  The griefer being a pathetic shot I get away free.  On the other side of a town, a third person comes out of a building and immediately opens fire with a M4.  I get hit a time or two but not killed and try to duck away but slowed from injuries am finally cut down.

This entire process was 3 hours of play time.  The most frustrating, pointless, idiot time I have ever spent playing a game.  I quit the game at that point and have not been back in since then.  I have actively directed people away from the game, certainly costing you no fewer than 12 sales of the game currently, and if word of mouth continues you will lose even more sales.  I've told people as is, this game will attract the worst of the kind of internet griefers who seek nothing more than to ruin people's play time.  Why am I telling you I have cost you business?  Because I'm absolutely certain I'm not the first or last who experienced this and if you want a viable product you had better make a few changes.

My recommendation is to IMMEDIATELY work on a server side option that will enable PVE Only in the game.  This way, people who are interested in more than just sniping or killing people on sight can find the kind of servers that interest them, and well, the rest can deal with the griefers.  Servers can be clearly marked PVP or PVE so this will not take away anything from what PVPers already have.

And for anyone who is going to just post 'no, this game should never have a PVE only setting,' don't bother.  I don't care if you want to have your PVP enabled servers, play on them, be douches and griefers all you want on those.  This is simply asking for a build of the game that caters to ALL players including those wanting PVE only. 

• Like 4

Look man. Most games these days cater to people like you that want it easy. This isn't "World of Spoonfeeding". This is Dayz and Rocket is making a game that most game companies are afraid to make because of people like you, people that won't buy it unless there is an easy button. This game is meant to be hard core and it's going to stay that way.

I'm on my 35th straight hour (minus the one punch I took in the face that sent me unconscious, but got revived) with no death and that's spending 95% of my time in Electro and having at least 30 battles.

Continue playing the game, gather some skills, learn to stay alive and then you might learn to enjoy it.

Edited by Hemoglobin
  • Like 8

As much as i hate KOS and people shooting for no damn reason, you cannot take away this core part of the game.
Without pvp, this becomes a "State Of Decay clone", and that is not the vision Rocket has for the game.

I am personally very much against things like this, which removes choices, rather then adding them to the game.
And im quite sure the DEV team would never do something like this, it simply doesnt fit into this game mate.

So basicly, keep playing, find people on theese forums to play with and have a ton of fun, or find another game thats more suited for you :)
Because this will never happen tbh, and if it does, thousands of people will stop playing the game, simply because it "buckled" under the pressure, like so many other games.
Rocket has a clear vision of where this is going, he does things the big companies does not dare to do, and he doesnt care if you are happy or not, theres only one way, for him, to make this "the right way".
Perhaps this game isnt for you, you are gonna have to figure it out mate :)

Welcome to DayZ!

You will not find a PvE option until the coming of private hives and they can enforce this rule themselves. At the present time Rocket has no interest in getting rid of the PvP aspect of the game and PvE only servers are not allowed on any public servers anyway.

So, you will either have to deal with how it is now or put the game down and come back when private hives are giving the PvE alternative, if that even will be an option.

I for one am not a PvP fanatic but understand it is a necessary evil of the game, the tension it brings is what makes DayZ the game it is.

I for one am not a PvP fanatic but understand it is a necessary evil of the game, the tension it brings is what makes DayZ the game it is.

This sums up why PVP is needed in this game.

• Like 1

OP this is not griefing.

Griefing involve skirting the rules of the game to ruin everyone's fun. This is not the case.

Edited by Lady Kyrah

Upcoming private hive for all your needs. Wait and then rejoice.

Public must remain faithful to the developers vision.

As it is a PvE server would be used only as a gear farming carefree place.

Allow me to sum up most of the replies:

"Blah blah blah don't take away from our griefing ability blah blah blah"

Sorry folks, the only ones who have cause to complain against the idea of PVE and PVP servers are those who would grief.  You would never be forced to go to a PVE server, you could keep doing exactly what you are doing. 

And no, there is no SKILLS involved keeping from being sniped 100 yards away or shot in the back by someone who sneaks up on you or someone who as you run by a buying comes out firing full auto.  That is just people looking to ruin games for other people.  The Day Z Mod was a very niche game that had only people who bought ARMA 2 and installed the mod.  The Day Z standalone game is a game that is available for the entire Steam community, of which, many people are just total assholes.  Congratulations, you've invited the internet into your game now, and the internet is filled with assholes.  The game will just continue to get worse as more of these pathetic excuses for people populate the game and seek to disrupt everything else.  I welcome people on PVP servers to deal with them, but I and many others simply will not.

• Like 2

I have actively directed people away from the game, certainly costing you no fewer than 12 sales of the game currently, and if word of mouth continues you will lose even more sales.  I've told people as is, this game will attract the worst of the kind of internet griefers who seek nothing more than to ruin people's play time.  Why am I telling you I have cost you business?  Because I'm absolutely certain I'm not the first or last who experienced this and if you want a viable product you had better make a few changes.

You are of course completely entitled too your opinion, even though I disagree with you and think the shoot on sight players are a vital part of the survival aspect of the game and think it would be rather boring without the PvP even though I am not really a PvP player. Indeed, half the fun in this game for me is outsmarting those douche-bags who are trying too rob me.  ^^

However, I would like too point out that, if we can agree that you as a more role-play player are more likely too have role-play friends, and you directed them away from the game; then that's 12 players who you and other more role-play players would have enjoyed meeting in the game who we now no longer can. Thanks... I guess. -.-  And I think it is worth stating (for perhaps the billionth time) that the game is still an alpha, this means the current game-play in no way accurately reflects the final product and also that there is not much for players too aspire too or work towards; bored players = malicious players.

You are of course completely entitled too your opinion, even though I disagree with you and think the shoot on sight players are a vital part of the survival aspect of the game and think it would be rather boring without the PvP even though I am not really a PvP player. Indeed, half the fun in this game for me is outsmarting those douche-bags who are trying too rob me.  ^^

However, I would like too point out that, if we can agree that you as a more role-play player are more likely too have role-play friends, and you directed them away from the game; then that's 12 players who you and other more role-play players would have enjoyed meeting in the game who we now no longer can. Thanks... I guess. -.-  And I think it is worth stating (for perhaps the billionth time) that the game is still an alpha, this means the current game-play in no way accurately reflects the final product and also that there is not much for players too aspire too or work towards; bored players = malicious players.

I'm not sorry at all about directing people away from this game in it's current state.  I wouldn't wish the level of frustration of dealing with those 'bored players' on friends.  Yes, it's Alpha, so I'm not bothering to complain about the bugs or glitchy rubber banding or other twerky behavior.  I have no problem with the way rubber banding send me off the top of a building under construction because it snapped me back at an inopportune time.  That's Alpha.  But allowing a core decision like allowing PVE only servers is something that needs to be addressed early and not wait until after a full release because if that's the case then you've already alienated a large player base before the full release.  Make the game be compatible with 100% of available player base and you have a more successful game than a game that is set to only be compatible with 20-30% of players.

Edited by KerrSG1
  • Like 1

Again, wait for Private Hive. It will come.

Plus skill EQUALS staying alive for the longest time in a public rules server, no matter what. This can be the firefights, or only mountain trekking discovering the land WITH all the dangers we already have ( including mechanic bending retards ) plus what is planned, such as wild life.

If you want you can do PvE already. Use the woods and mountains, clear the hamlets of zombies, gather your supplies, run for the hills again.

You walk along a road, or through a forest, and "POP" black screen 'You are Dead' message comes up.

What 'skill' pray tell, would have prevented a sniper laying down in an underbrush waiting for someone to come by and kill them?  

• Like 1

You walk along a road, or through a forest, and "POP" black screen 'You are Dead' message comes up.

What 'skill' pray tell, would have prevented a sniper laying down in an underbrush waiting for someone to come by and kill them?  

I don't know if common sense counts as a skill, I guess you either have it or not.. 

If you don't want to call it common sense, you could call the "skill" tactical awareness, where instead of parading up and down an open road, you take a detour to the nearby treeline and move using cover and concealment. 

Instead of dumbing the game down, maybe you should take it upon yourself to up your survival mindset. Just because this isn't a traditional stat based RPG, doesn't mean there aren't skills to master. Think of it this way, everytime you die, they game is telling you, that it's time to improve your skills. If you're dying from the same thing over and over, you're not listening and not learning.

Edited by Dallas
  • Like 6

I don't know if common sense counts as a skill, I guess you either have it or not.. 

I guess if you don't want to call it common sense, you could call the "skill" tactical awareness, where instead of parading up and down an open road, you take a detour to the nearby treeline and move using over and concealment.

Did you miss the point about 'through a forest?'  A sniper in a nest, at any location, can take out any player simply in the wrong place at a wrong time.  You can't sense someone looking at you in a game, please don't act like somehow people know when someone else is around in a game.  It is simply a matter of someone camping at some location killing people for no reason other than to grief.  That isn't 'skill' to not be shot, that's simply dumb luck you aren't in an area with a sniper. 

• Like 1

dummyspit.gif

I think you're playing the wrong game.

Also, see the other threads regarding forced PvE and see how they went. (I'll give you a hint: It wasn't well).

• Like 2

B.S. Never been sniped in a forest.

A sniper sets up his killzone with an overview of a populated area or along a busy traveling route. No sniper sets up in a completely random location and decides to wait there for 12 hours and hope someone accidentally comes through his killzone in the middle of a forest, out in the middle of nowhere.

The skill is to know which areas are popular, well traveled and dangerous.

The skill is also to know the difference between cover and concealment and how to use both. 

If you're getting killed over and over by snipers, you're refusing to acknowledge your mistakes and incapable of learning from them. It's like complaining about a camper and every time you respawn, you chose the exact same route and get killed over and over.

Edited by Dallas
  • Like 3

One tip from a newcomer: Full servers are the best as you find all kind of folks, from RP'ers, to protective folk, to bloody gangs, etc

You getting sniped means one thing: The other survivor perceived you as a threat.

It is nothing personal against you, it is his own perception of danger that comes into play with his decision to shoot you.

Simple.

Improve what you may change - the in game world around you.

Accept what you cannot change - human nature of other players.

Embrace the change - as game evolves into full release.

As I hope, when mechanics start to fall into place, like encumbrance, infection,etc, the unfolding of a "survivor's life span" will be much different as we know it right now.

The more you explore the game possibilities the better and there is no fixed better way to play it, hence why I said the only possible measure of artificial skill comparison is how long you survive, there is no mandatory objective other than staying alive. Sometimes you go down in 2 hours. Other you stay high and strong for a full week.

All that remains, at least for me, are the awesome moments passed with certain "avatars". Others die so fast I just can't remember what happened.

Snappy salute !

I think you're playing the wrong game.

Also, see the other threads regarding forced PvE and see how they went. (I'll give you a hint: It wasn't well).

I really don't care how other threads went. This is a problem with the game that should be corrected.

• Like 1

The only problem is that casual gamers have been catered to in such an extend, they are incapable of handling and overcoming challenges.

The skill is also to know the difference between cover and concealment and how to use both. 

If you're getting killed over and over by snipers, you're refusing to acknowledge your mistakes and incapable of learning from them. It's like complaining about a camper and every time you respawn, you chose the exact same route and get killed over and over.

I didn't say I was being 'killed over and over by snipers'  I pointed out that you made a suggestion that it takes skill to not die in the game, and I pointed out how in some cases there is no skill involved it's simply dumb luck.  Do you really think that having a maximum of 40 people in game at a time doesn't have a significant impact on that dumb luck that you and a sniper aren't in the vicinity of a 225 square kilometer map? 

• Like 1

The only problem is that casual gamers have been catered to in such an extend, they are incapable of handling and overcoming challenges.

And nothing at all would be changed on a PVP server.  You can continue to keep your challenge of dealing with douche bags and enjoy all the perks.

• Like 1

And what are you going to do on a PvE server?

Hand out numbers and make sure people keep their place in line, while they wait for their turn to loot a military base?

See, you can't play as a friendly, if PvE is enforced, because there's no friendlies, if there's no bandits. There's just people going around asking: "Do you need anything?" and other people answering: "Maybe a few bandits, because I'm bored to death."

• Like 1