Sign in to follow this  
jovlon

What Alpha Is Supposed To Be (A Discussion On Dev Direction And If The Game Will Ever Be Completed)

Its nice to have some clarification on the OP's game release but personally I would like to have known more about their role rather than the title. I myself have been involved with releases and on some I have had far more input than others but I would not classify myself as a dev. Thats not a dig, just an opinion.

I was part of the friends and family testing for a certain now F2P MMO game with laser swords in it. So basically what I'm trying to say is I invented Star Wars.

Also why are you believing OP when this thread is basically 9 pages of him proving he has never been involved in any sort of games development ever nor even knows how development actually works? Posts like "C) There are some long standing issues that we wish would be addressed." when we're a month and a half into an alpha dev build of a game we begged them to release early knowing it was only like 10% done and they've already had ~10 patches even though the holidays were right in the middle of that 1 1/2 months really make it obvious.

Edited by Weedz

Alright after most of the thread mainly Op´s claims i have to say that he a retired dev would have no problem what company he worked for, or even what was the project since it was canceled and if his company was only interested in the software, make a mentioned of the software. So i concluded that he is full of it. just because one person may able to write coherent assumptions about a topic doesnt mean he is what he says he is. Had a couple of guys in the interrogation booth like that.  If you are what you really say you are just gives some proofs. Or maybe you were dev from an Android app?

That aside just because you did something in your project and Rockets may be doing differently or doesnt mean his team is wrong. Like others said if you can doing it better shut up and go do it instead of coming in here and cry wolf. 

Remember the alpha just came out and I am not trying to use the alpha card, i am just point that many ppl are wishing thinking way ahead of the current state of game, and i am not defending whatever flaws the devs may have, but i believe Rocket earned some of our trust by now that even if it a slow progress it will get there but also I am not talking about duke nuken slow. 

Final point i dont see being professional when some random guy comes to another guys game project and bashes it, even you said it was your concerns, even if they were it didnt sound like it to me. 

I was part of the friends and family testing for a certain now F2P MMO game with laser swords in it. So basically what I'm trying to say is I invented Star Wars.

Also why are you believing OP when this thread is basically 9 pages of him proving he has never been involved in any sort of games development ever nor even knows how development actually works? Posts like "C) There are some long standing issues that we wish would be addressed." when we're a month and a half into an alpha dev build of a game we begged them to release early knowing it was only like 10% done and they've already had ~10 patches even though the holidays were right in the middle of that 1 1/2 months really make it obvious.

Hello there

Personally, Im not believing or disbelieving anything. :)

Rgds

LoK

ps Cake IS a lie.

And again if they were self-funding this game this wouldn't have even been a discussion. If a large (even if it's not the majority) of their funding came from in-house or angel investors or something else I wouldn't have these concerns because they could likely dip into the resources as needed. If they happen to run out of money (which is what I meant by the game may not get to a Formal Release stage with the initial $30 million) I want to be able to invest again without a second thought. I want to say that they ran out but they had their ducks in a row at the times that they should have been and I know that they are moving in a good direction. 

Here's why basically everything you've had to say is a moot point and of about as much value as the posts asking for "at least a gun and some ammo" at spawn.

First, $30M.  They made quite a bit less than that dude.  The game was on Steam.  Go research Valve's cut of profits.

You still don't seem to comprehend that Bohemia is an existing entity.  All their eggs are not in one DayZ basket. They have investors, they have a portfolio, they're a profitable company that paid the development team of DayZ (granted, a smaller one) for a year and a half before seeing a penny from the work.  This isn't some indie project with a bunch of fresh-out-of-art-school first timers.  It's also not the kind of company that can or would disappear in a night, with executives uhm.. sleeping on peoples' floors? Really?  That's some shit right there.

The fact that your perspective overrules all these facts in how you're having this conversation makes just about everything you have to say have little to no value.

PS - this thread made me run out of Beans.

Edited by Evil_This

Talking out of your ass for the sake of hearing it OP. You claim to be a developer (what, a real estate developer?) yourself yet you point out lacking features in an alpha build as "empty promises".

Yes yes you've made your noises and baseless accusations, and we all heard it and acknowledged its existince but this 9 page thread needs to die. Claiming its anything but babbling diatribe is ludicrous.

Edited by Hells High

My replies will be bold and peach. 

thank you so much. +1

• Like 1

(I didn't want for you to think that the first part was about you)

I'm not saying I was worried, but until I read this I may have started pouting a little.  But good.  What you have said isn't only on your mind.  There must be many on here that fear that the game might die, or that development ceases and we get an unfinished game.  There are obviously some that are so passionate that the game will succeed, that they only make it through some of your first post and then dive right into smart debates.

Yes, passionate.  No idiotic.  Not illiterate.  Not aggressive or angry due to personal problems that they take out on you.  We'll call them "passionate."

"It's not nearly as easy as you're making it out to be. As with my experience we were fully in development with a game that had an amazing amount of buzz. We had the opportunity to go from self-funded to having a major backing us. We chose to go with the major only to learn that they only wanted to use our software but that we would never be allowed to finish our game."

Do you work for C.A? they got bum fkt by SEGA

I especially agree with adding in all these pointless features, (100+ books, pens, spraypaint, etc) before fixing the most crucial stuff... like zombies walking through walls.. don't understand why adding pointless stuff is coming first.

I especially agree with adding in all these pointless features, (100+ books, pens, spraypaint, etc) before fixing the most crucial stuff... like zombies walking through walls.. don't understand why adding pointless stuff is coming first.

This has been mentioned quite a bit. We're just going to have to put faith in the fact that Dean and his team know what they're doing, and unless you or I have any extensive game developing experience, I don't think we really have as much say in what should and shouldn't be done and when :/

just the truth.

@louist: Indeed, thats would good ol' LJ would have said ;) Thanks for pitching in^^

@Weedz: "Also why are you believing OP..." It's not about believing what he worked or how old he is or if the Girl KoS is pictures of posting is really KoS' girlfriend named Helena. Its about that he had concerns about DayZ and addressed it (in rather let's say, not too eloquent) words, but he explained more than once why he is concerned and that his chose of words was not wise.

While I still do not agree with him, I respect his concerns, no matter if he is a AAA developer, a 15 year old stoned punk that dropped out of school, a 5 year old gamingkiddie or a 125 year old WW I veteran or even Bill Gates. As long as he is not Sergey.

@OP: The better walking dead title...that would mean telltale games? (and even if that was not a game but a interactive comic it was awesome)  o.O I don't say I believe you, and I don't say I don't believe you or even believe that my guess is correct. I just say: The interactive comic...ahm...game from telltale was awesome, even if all the freedom of decision was faked. But awesome. I just should not have played it a second time to see what happens^^

@Moa Zedong: Look at my signature. Now back to me. Now back to my signature. And now read it. Think about it.

Edited by LaughingJack
  • Like 2

I would argue that maybe they are trying to maximize item count to stress code as much as possible to expose the cracks in it to see how much it can really handle for the end game. Thus our current inconvenience provides the Team with an opportunity to see where the actual "MMO" (used loosely) parts of the engine/server architecture could use some help under real world conditions. This then leads to a better, more polished game at the end.

Here's why basically everything you've had to say is a moot point and of about as much value as the posts asking for "at least a gun and some ammo" at spawn.

First, $30M. They made quite a bit less than that dude. The game was on Steam. Go research Valve's cut of profits.

You still don't seem to comprehend that Bohemia is an existing entity. All their eggs are not in one DayZ basket. They have investors, they have a portfolio, they're a profitable company that paid the development team of DayZ (granted, a smaller one) for a year and a half before seeing a penny from the work. This isn't some indie project with a bunch of fresh-out-of-art-school first timers. It's also not the kind of company that can or would disappear in a night, with executives uhm.. sleeping on peoples' floors? Really? That's some shit right there.

The fact that your perspective overrules all these facts in how you're having this conversation makes just about everything you have to say have little to no value.

PS - this thread made me run out of Beans.

I wouldn't say they were funding SA before seeing a penny. While there haven't, as far as I know, been released any hard figures, it's clear that the mod generated a lot of interest for and sales of Arma II and OA, which is a large part of why they are funding the SA.

Because some "pointless shit" can be implemented in a matter of minutes by people with less expertise in particular areas. The more important stuff can take weeks or months and can only be done by people with very specific skills.

This has been mentioned quite a bit. We're just going to have to put faith in the fact that Dean and his team know what they're doing, and unless you or I have any extensive game developing experience, I don't think we really have as much say in what should and shouldn't be done and when :/

just the truth.

I can't speak to whether Rocket knows what he's doing.  And we're not his investors so we have no say in his final product.  But what I do see first hand is the reason you typically don't release an "alpha" to the general public.  Warning screen or not, people form their opinion of the game as soon as they start playing it.  

There was an Alpha with core testers before it was released to the public. But I do agree that this feels way too unfinished, even for an Alpha, and BI should have waited atleast until the core features are done!