Fabik

The most common 'cheat' used in DayZ...

Think of it this way.  If a group of people using Teamspeak stopped you and held you up.  Consider their Teamspeak chatter what their body language and eye / body / hand / head nod signals would be if we had the option for those in game.  They are at no advantage over someone not using Teamspeak.  You would just know you're about to be executed if they voiced it over directional as well as their Teamspeak.

This is the VALID reason why third party software is needed. Until the game offers this level of realism, third party voip is the next best option for realism.

The same way until they get the darkness correct, gamma correction is the correct way to address realism.

The same way until they allow players to scale walls, peak over walls, third person is the correct way to address realism. (I personally only play on first person servers but I can still see what makes the game more realistic.)

But I still talk to them anyway.  Why would me talking in Skype effect what happens in game?  People will bitch about anything, I swear to fuck.

Think of it this way.  If a group of people using Teamspeak stopped you and held you up.  Consider their Teamspeak chatter what their body language and eye / body / hand / head nod signals would be if we had the option for those in game.  They are at no advantage over someone not using Teamspeak.  You would just know you're about to be executed if they voiced it over directional as well as their Teamspeak.

Fucking Christ you people will literally bitch about anything.  Holy fucking shit go play a single player game if you don't want people to talk with each other.

This video is a good example of how talking on teamspeak can drastically change the game.

The guy who was being held up circumvented the games voice systems and used teamspeak to call his friends for help.

This video is a good example of how talking on teamspeak can drastically change the game.

The guy who was being held up circumvented the games voice systems and used teamspeak to call his friends for help.

While I don't agree with the person doing that, and I feel that using external comms in that way is just retarded and a huge bitch move, sure in a real life scenario his friends would have gathered something was wrong and would want to check it out?  The bandits always run the gambit when they hold someone up.  They have to take the risk that someone else can be watching and waiting for them.  They need to be careful.

Hello there

Stop the insults please.

You can disagree but you cannot insult.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1

Can't be bothered reading past this ignorance.

Exactly. You can't be bothered to read anything that might weaken your claims. You are allowed to make examples and insults but we can't.

Hello there

Stop the insults please.

You can disagree but you cannot insult.

Rgds

LoK

He can call groups of people cheaters though? If you read the post at all you would see I wasn't calling him that but rather making a point. Calling someone a cheater is the same as calling them garbage. 

While I don't agree with the person doing that, and I feel that using external comms in that way is just retarded and a huge bitch move, sure in a real life scenario his friends would have gathered something was wrong and would want to check it out?  The bandits always run the gambit when they hold someone up.  They have to take the risk that someone else can be watching and waiting for them.  They need to be careful.

They might have suspected something was wrong, but without radio contact, the guy being held up wouldn't have been able to direct them to his exact location and inform them of how many enemy there were, and knowing the exact time they were leaving the building.

I'll admit that teamspeak can be used in good ways. But, always having that temptation to cheat is sometimes too much for people. Especially in a game about survival. It would be like running game hacks to see player names above your squads head. How many people do you think wouldn't click those other options in a pinch.

• Like 1

Exactly. You can't be bothered to read anything that might weaken your claims. You are allowed to make examples and insults but we can't.

He can call groups of people cheaters though? If you read the post at all you would see I wasn't calling him that but rather making a point. Calling someone a cheater is the same as calling them garbage. 

Did I say that?

I said stop the insults. That goes for everyone.

L

They might have suspected something was wrong, but without radio contact, the guy being held up wouldn't have been able to direct them to his exact location and inform them of how many enemy there were, and knowing the exact time they were leaving the building.

I'll admit that teamspeak can be used in good ways. But, always having that temptation to cheat is sometimes too much for people. Especially in a game about survival. It would be like running game hacks to see player names above your squads head. How many people do you think wouldn't click those other options in a pinch.

You and I agree there.  It's pretty lame to use in that way, but if that's what kids need to use to gain an advantage, that's not so much cheating as it's them being a little bitch who doesn't wanna die in an alpha.

LOL. what a comical post.

i usually dayz with 4 of my friends. we all use teamspeak. like someone else said, when we come across you as a solo, you're going to have a bad day. we've become pretty tactical and usually win.

but to call this cheating....ahhh, how funny. thats how gaming has been for the last 3 to 5 years?

so put on your big boy pants and suck it up.

deal%2Bwith%2Bit_78e78d_4239256.gif

Only solutions I can think of are :-

Make the ingame direct chat always on with no option to disable.

If you are using TS or any voice prog or the mic it will transmit ingame, if they are with you ingame they will hear an echo every time you speak.

Or

Allow DayZ to search your pc for any other util using voip and then it should ask you to disable it or it dayz will shutdown.

Or 

DayZ uses ACRE and every server has its own TS and that TS will not allow you to join if you dont have ACRE turned on.

Servers will auto join you to the server TS.

Edited by BL1P
  • Like 2

Allow DayZ to search your pc for any other util using voip and then it should ask you to disable it or it dayz will shutdown.

wat....................

But I still talk to them anyway.  Why would me talking in Skype effect what happens in game?  People will bitch about anything, I swear to fuck.

Fucking Christ you people will literally bitch about anything.  Holy fucking shit go play a single player game if you don't want people to talk with each other.

Clear up your language, mate. No one likes to read that.

There so, so many obvious ways Skype/Teamspeak gives advantage. Not only will people not overhear your secrets etc.. Also, they won't be alarmed to your presence. You might not know they are there, so your would be actions are not the only thing that matters. You forget that they might like to kill you, if they knew you were there, not just the other way around.

Likewise, you never risk accidentally givin away your location (or, later camp or vehicle location) over the radio frequencies.

And also its not the same as the hand-gestures, it requires no visual contact and it has no distance limit. And above all, most of us don't even know those signals well enough to use them effecticely.

Only solutions I can think of is :-

Make the ingame direct chat always on with no option to disable.

If you are using ts it will transmit ingame if they are with you ingame they will hear an echo every time you speak.

Or

Discussing possible solutions is rather pointless when so many people disagree on the legitimacy of the action.

Not sure how you would prevent this. You could be sneaky and test for the Skype or TeamSpeak process and prevent the game from starting ... but is this legal, would it be considered invasion of privacy.

This is a tough to even enforce ... and if it could be enforced ... would you want to. Not sure.

It'd be highly illegal. Not everyone can be the NSA.

Edited by Bash Arkin

Right. Lets make this game unplayable with friends unless you happen to randomly run into each other! Sounds like a great success!

• Like 1

It'd be highly illegal. Not everyone can be the NSA.

I don't really want to get off-topic, or discuss fixing this "problem". But, how is a game checking for skype or teamspeak not exactly the same as anti-cheat software checking for cheat software running? It wouldn't be illegal because you would have to agree to it.

• Like 1

oh, for the love of god... Voip = cheating???

The OP is either upset that he has no friends, or he is jealous that his 50kb/s 3rd-world internet can't do voip AND play.

What if you and a few friends are playing in the same room on laptops? or in a LAN?

Voip has been around for over 10 years and is a common part of ALL gaming. get over it.

• Like 1

I don't really want to get off-topic, or discuss fixing this "problem". But, how is a game checking for skype or teamspeak not exactly the same as anti-cheat software checking for cheat software running? It wouldn't be illegal because you would have to agree to it.

Whats the point of this thread so? What do you want to discuss? Or is it just you making a statement in your opening post?

I know it's crazy, some people embrace a difference of opinion, but still feel strongly about something. When people say "stop calling it cheating" that to me, is trying to censor my opinion that it is indeed cheating. Disagree all you want, but don't tell me to stop calling it cheating, when I clearly believe it is.

I fail to see how this game doesn't provide you the tools needed to communicate. Direct chat is available to everyone, walkie talkies are available to those who look for them. The game doesn't issue you a map on spawn either, that doesn't mean they expect you to go online and use that map. The devs aren't going to call loot maps or 3rd party voice software cheating because what's the point? They build this world for us to inhabit and we as a community have to decide what is cheating and what isn't. People have decided server hopping and combat logging is cheating, I'm just voicing my opinion on 3rd party voice software, if it changes even one persons views on the subject, it was worth the effort.

I'm sorry my opinion is insulting to you. I can't help but feel this way.

But our opinion is that it is not cheating...see how it becomes a circular argument? People have stated why it is not cheating and you have a different opinion. Objectively it is not cheating since there is no rule against the use of VoiP and there is no punishment. On a subjective level I guess it is up for debate but I would still disagree with your characterization of it being a cheat but would be unable to show that 100%. So by the only objective measurement available, rules, it is not against the rules meaning it is not cheating. 

so u dont whant that friends can find each other and talk while that ?? no way , i like realism but its still a game and when i wanna play with friends i wanna use skype or ts3. 

but we all said when the treansmitters ready with more then 900 meters range , we going to an RP server with only first person , and searching us via transmitter .

bu they have to add a group join function cuz friends would start together even in chernaruss ^^ , cuz we have to come from somewhere . 

i mean , u really wanna walk across the coast with ni idea where ur friend spawnt ?? maybe 1 runs up 1 down ,its just timewaste . but for fights and looting it would be nice cuz you can hear there are others and u can avoid easyer . 

Edited by WeedFoXx

Whats the point of this thread so? What do you want to discuss? Or is it just you making a statement in your opening post?

It's not my thread.

The point, from what I've read, is to shine light on the fact that a portion of this community thinks it's cheating. To discuss that idea and see the difference of opinion that comes from the discussion. I guess the point is for people to see where we're coming from when we call it cheating.

When we get off-topic discussing the ability to control this, or lack thereof, we completely skip over the debate about weather or not it should even be controlled.

ACRE TS3 Plugin. That is what you are looking for. It can be done, and has been done.

You can have 50 people in one channel, all talking, and not hear a thing outside of the game. It is a purists wet dream. Get Private Hives on board with this, contact Nou over at UO and make it happen when this comes out of Alpha. That is the way to go. Especially if these radios in game are worth a damn, it will be the shit.

As it is, Radios with ACRE are awesome. Different channels, frequencies, and if you have one, and a guy on the other side of a ridge or mountain, guess what....radio static.

Edited by Bush_Wookie10-4

DayZ characters are not telepaths and shouldn't be able to communicate beyond what 'Direct Communication' allows.

So this is definative, then... from the devs... telepathy does not exist in the post-apocolyptic Zombie-infested world, and Chernarus specifically.

I must have missed that tweet. My bad!

PS: I also use TrackIR head tracking and a programmable keyboard/mouse. So I guess these would also be 'cheats' as well.

Edited by DJPorterNZ