Fabik

The most common 'cheat' used in DayZ...

OP clearly states there's no winning this battle, but people still feel the need to say that if something can't be stopped, we should welcome it with open arms. I disagree. Just because we can lie cheat and steal, doesn't mean those things are good and should be defended.

Some people need to step back and think about why they get so defensive whenever third party voice software is even brought up. Even the slightest mention of it being negative sets people off on 'just a game' or 'can't be stopped' rants. We can't stop scammers in Africa from taking advantage of naive people, does that mean we should all move to Africa and scam people?

Radios are in-game, what is your excuse now player?

• Like 2

Bottom line, it's a personal choice. If you like full immersive game play, go for it. I like communicating with people I play with. Would be impossible to meet up and play together otherwise.

• Like 1

Bottom line, it's a personal choice. If you like full immersive game play, go for it. I like communicating with people I play with. Would be impossible to meet up and play together otherwise.

Why couldn't you use steam text messaging to meet up somewhere and then talk over direct and use the in-game radios when you're apart? There's multiple frequencies on the radio, so it's not like you're talking over global where everyone can easily hear you.

• Like 1

No TS? THATS the gamebreaker for me. In-game VOIP is for communicating with everyone else- TS is for comms with my squad. Put any RP twist on it you like, but without the ability to communicate with my friends there isnt any point in playing as a group. You cant whisper in DC- anything you say is heard by everyone in range. Where's the realism in that?

This isnt about realism, this is about having fun with your friends. If you choose to play the game without it, more power to ya. For most everyone I know who plays the game, it might as well be a single player game without TS.

• Like 3

You cant whisper in DC- anything you say is heard by everyone in range. Where's the realism in that?

The game could most likely do something with the sound that is linked to the distance beteween characters; 10m away equals perfect sound, 40m away equals mumbling, at best.

This isnt about realism, this is about having fun with your friends.

That is your opinion, which you present right after the moment you dismiss someone else's arguement on the matter... personal preferences and all that.

@OP - I agree on your idea, but sadly it's probably impossible to guarantee. 

Edited by or'dinii
  • Like 1

I would have thought the most common one was turning up gamma/brightness at night

• Like 2

Why couldn't you use steam text messaging to meet up somewhere and then talk over direct and use the in-game radios when you're apart? There's multiple frequencies on the radio, so it's not like you're talking over global where everyone can easily hear you.

Because typing for live chat sucks. And not everyone has a radio/transmitter. And I prefer ts. It's how *I WANT* to play.

I use Team speak with friends because I get bored after an hour of exploring. It's fun to chit chat while roaming the map. We do sometimes meet other squads and get into battles, but we still end up shooting each other because it's really hard to distinguish who is who in this game most of the time.

That said, the people who get all prissy and defensive about "but my squad needs comms to wreck people in firefights!" are just try-hard FPS punks who only want to play this as ARMA 3 death match, but that's their preference, so whatever.

The most common cheats in DayZ now are:

1. Gamma exploit

2. Duplication exploit

3. Wall glitch

A lot of non-sense. Its not a cheat - as someone already said its a game and must remain entertaining!

Is it metagaming? Yes

Is it a cheat? No

Is it gamebreaking? No

Can it be solved? No

While it does seem unfair to some players, it's just how friends play together, and you can't solve it.

Edited by TSAndrey
  • Like 6

It actually is gamebreaking. Okay... not gameBREAKING ... but... it's not the proper roleplayway.

But I will use skype as long as the quality of Ingamevoice is not as good as any VOIP-software

I... Don't really care about roleplaying anyway... I mean, what's next? Checking to see that people are not in the same room because them talking destroys your imaginary third wall?

Edited by Ratiasu
  • Like 1

Wouldn't steam text messages just be the same cheat but more of a burden? You are still communicating with someone in a way that game does not allow so I fail to see how it is not "cheating" if you think 3rd party Voip is cheating.

I get some people enjoy RP in games and are perfectly fine with the idea of being on an island until a buddy and you accidentally run into each other on a map as large as Chernarus, but those people should not expect regular players to care even a little bit about that viewpoint when gaming is a social experience for many people. So I will not get bogged down in the argument that it is impossible, I will only say even if it was possible it would make the DayZ experience vastly less enjoyable for 90%+ of the players. 

Also are radios actually working at this point?

Because typing for live chat sucks. And not everyone has a radio/transmitter. And I prefer ts. It's how *I WANT* to play.

I didn't mean that steam text chat would replace teamspeak. I mean you agree on a location to meet, and a channel to talk on.

Yeah, I know, heaven forbid you have to find an item in the game before you get to talk over distance. You might have it taken away when you die. I can see how you would want to avoid that. But, it's exactly those reasons that I embrace it.

• Like 1

Wouldn't steam text messages just be the same cheat but more of a burden? You are still communicating with someone in a way that game does not allow so I fail to see how it is not "cheating" if you think 3rd party Voip is cheating.

I get some people enjoy RP in games and are perfectly fine with the idea of being on an island until a buddy and you accidentally run into each other on a map as large as Chernarus, but those people should not expect regular players to care even a little bit about that viewpoint when gaming is a social experience for many people. So I will not get bogged down in the argument that it is impossible, I will only say even if it was possible it would make the DayZ experience vastly less enjoyable for 90%+ of the players. 

Also are radios actually working at this point?

Let me say that I don't use steam chat to communicate with others in the game. But, it was just a suggestion on how to eliminate teamspeak, and only use steam to basically meet up or share the radio frequency. If you're trying to play with another person you already know, you're already "cheating" in some respects. So, you're going to have to "cheat" a little to meet up, at which point you can go legit and talk over direct and radio.

My point is, the excuse that teamspeak is a placeholder for radios isn't valid now that they're in-game. Yes radios seem to work, I haven't tested them out, but I have one and it's always on waiting to pick up some chatter. I did meet one guy since having it, but he didn't have one so we couldn't test them. I've read on another thread that they actually work. After you put a battery in you right click and get options. Once it's powered up you can switch to the channel using , & . keys and then talk with caps lock. Obviously it's going to be broadcasting your voice in direct chat also, so people are still going to cheat and use teamspeak.

• Like 1

There is a certain amount of gaming reality that has to be considered due to how it limits in-game realism.

Gamers use various forms of VOIP, it will always be this way.

Designing a game that simply ignores this fact is ludicrous, why they are putting in radios just baffles me.

Your not even open for debate. It's your way or its wrong. Nice waste of time this thread is, no beans for you. Everyone is going to play how they prefer abd are able to play. I don't always play with friends, many times I lone wolf it with no coms. But that's my choice. You must be a tea party supporter. Stop trying to take people's freedom of choice away. That's what single player games are for.

• Like 1

Damn me having fun with my friends! I shall commit Seppuku to regain my honour!

• Like 1

Let me say that I don't use steam chat to communicate with others in the game. But, it was just a suggestion on how to eliminate teamspeak, and only use steam to basically meet up or share the radio frequency. If you're trying to play with another person you already know, you're already "cheating" in some respects. So, you're going to have to "cheat" a little to meet up, at which point you can go legit and talk over direct and radio.

My point is, the excuse that teamspeak is a placeholder for radios isn't valid now that they're in-game. Yes radios seem to work, I haven't tested them out, but I have one and it's always on waiting to pick up some chatter. I did meet one guy since having it, but he didn't have one so we couldn't test them. I've read on another thread that they actually work. After you put a battery in you right click and get options. Once it's powered up you can switch to the channel using , & . keys and then talk with caps lock. Obviously it's going to be broadcasting your voice in direct chat also, so people are still going to cheat and use teamspeak.

Thanks, my buddy and I found some and were not sure how they worked. I put a battery in but after that we ended up ditching them since we do have Skype and could not figure out how to adjust the channels, although this was when they were first added so maybe it was part of the recent patch. We really only wanted them to mess with other players by putting one on the ground and talking over it to confuse the person. 

I really wish you guys would at least label things correctly while talking about them to avoid others flaming. Cheat is not really the correct usage, it is Meta gaming. Messaging a buddy on Steam with a location to meet up is Meta Gaming (or for you cheating). There really is no valid way to find each other on this huge map without "cheating" or getting extremely lucky. At some point we need to realize it is a game and social people often play with friends, no need to use a word like cheating for people dicking around on Skype. 

While it does seem unfair to some players, it's just how friends play together, and you can't solve it.

Even though this game seems to clearly revolve around the fact that you are a lone survivor, that you have no way of knowing if the person you meet around the next corner is friendly or not, that the game is centered on survival with limited resources....people "solve" it with TS and the likes to make it into a tag-team hunting ground.

People play the game the way they want, irrespective of the creators intentions.

That is why we have this discussion; The different ideas regarding what this game is about. 

Your not even open for debate. It's your way or its wrong. Nice waste of time this thread is, no beans for you. Everyone is going to play how they prefer abd are able to play. I don't always play with friends, many times I lone wolf it with no coms. But that's my choice. You must be a tea party supporter. Stop trying to take people's freedom of choice away. That's what single player games are for.

Nobody is here trying to take your freedoms away. Just because we think you're cheating, doesn't mean we're actively trying to stop you from doing so.

Thanks, my buddy and I found some and were not sure how they worked. I put a battery in but after that we ended up ditching them since we do have Skype and could not figure out how to adjust the channels, although this was when they were first added so maybe it was part of the recent patch. We really only wanted them to mess with other players by putting one on the ground and talking over it to confuse the person. 

I really wish you guys would at least label things correctly while talking about them to avoid others flaming. Cheat is not really the correct usage, it is Meta gaming. Messaging a buddy on Steam with a location to meet up is Meta Gaming (or for you cheating). There really is no valid way to find each other on this huge map without "cheating" or getting extremely lucky. At some point we need to realize it is a game and social people often play with friends, no need to use a word like cheating for people dicking around on Skype. 

That's the whole point of this thread. To express how some of us think that it's cheating. We think it's bad for the game, and you guys shouldn't do it. You can call it meta-gaming instead, but it doesn't change the fact that we don't like it and think you should stop.

I don't accept this idea that dayz should be accessible to groups of friends. There is a valid way to find someone, you look for them. Think, Rick in the first season of the walking dead. He didn't jump on teamspeak and ask his wife and son where they were.

You're free to cheat all you want. I just don't think it's justified in this games atmosphere. When you don't have your friends to lean on constantly & consistently, the game is a different beast, loneliness comes into play. After not seeing anyone for a long time you crave human contact, you set out on a journey to find another player to converse with. Except if you pull up teamspeak or steam chat, you never let yourself feel any of that.

is the use of a 3rd party VoIP software. :)

And no, I'm not trolling. And yes, I know this is a lost battle. ;)

DayZ characters are not telepaths and shouldn't be able to communicate beyond what 'Direct Communication' allows.

Oh and these cheats make KoSing an even better behavior to follow because you never know if the guy's who's acting friendly is not leading you into a trap.

VoIP = gamebreaker :rolleyes:

How is this a gamebreaker? I use steam voicechat all the time. It's part of the game.

Edited by hatesauce

Hello there

I too think that TS is "cheating" as it doesnt allow for distance etc.

What we need to combat apps like TS is a more robust and fun in game system to use.

The problem is, if the devs make an amazing radio system, the "instawin" folk out there will just use TS and negate any radio effects.

Tying the game into TS like ACRE might be a solution. But there could be a monopolies issue with that. (Ill need to chat with my legal team)

I dont think using TS is as evil as proper cheating, rather I find it a shame folk wont use the in game viop.

Its as offensive to me as Gamma "exploiting".

ie..It's "bad practice" and "not cricket", but people will do it as folk are lazy. IMHO

Its a shame IMHO.

Rgds

LoK

Considering in game voip is terrible even within range...I disagree.

is the use of a 3rd party VoIP software. :)

And no, I'm not trolling. And yes, I know this is a lost battle. ;)

DayZ characters are not telepaths and shouldn't be able to communicate beyond what 'Direct Communication' allows.

Oh and these cheats make KoSing an even better behavior to follow because you never know if the guy's who's acting friendly is not leading you into a trap.

VoIP = gamebreaker :rolleyes:

It seems to me that you are looking at it at an roleplaying perspective. Yes you can't telepathicly talk to other people, but people like to play with friends.

I am one of those that ONLY plays with his friends because I can't be bothered playing any game alone.

Imagine playing with your friends. You log into the same server. You spawn. One spawns in Elektro, one in Berezino and one in Novy. You don't know where your friends spawned and you can't comunicate with them in anyway or form, cause they are to far apart.

Now that would be realistic. BUT. Think even one stop deeper into this "realism". You are friends. Maybe you lived in the same village in Chernarus. Maybe you shipwracked together. If you think like that, then why does one spawn Elektro, one Berezino and one Novy?

I see what you mean and I can understand you, but right know there is no system to support RL friends. I mean you could only use Skype, or Teamspeak to find each other and then go on with the ingame voice. But even than I don't remember sounding like I am talking inside a bathroom and talking extremly quit.

I will maybe use the ingame walkys but even than, I wanna have fun playing. I wanna talk about the last party I had or how stupid my boss is to my friends. And I won't use the walkys then cause I don't got a backpack full of batteries.

A lot of posts in this forum are SO much about realism that I kind of have to wonder if some people are even playing this GAME for fun or if they wished a real zombie apocalypse would brake out.

Edited by Tarenola
  • Like 1