Sign in to follow this  
TheDoctor20

Kill on sight reasoning

I assume I will be KOS every time I play, and I keep my gun out, I stay out of sight when ever possible. I spend a good 30-60 seconds observing towns before entering, particularly checking for already opened doors (clear giveaway of someone having been there).  Never (if it can be helped) run across an open field, particularly if it's near an air field or military base. Sounds obvious but I'm amazed at what I see players do. I haven't personally killed anyone on sight, prefering to stay out of sight and let them pass, or in some cases chat before parting ways. I'm not against killing other players, but it's not the aspect I'm after in this game so I'll only be killing if it seems like the only option. So far I've been able to stay out of most other player's way. One other probably obvious tidbit but, when I get ready to log out for the night, I try to find some place out of town and well concealed before doing so.

Yeah, that's how I play too... but sometimes you have to go into buildings.... and sometimes people are there even if you scout.

Yeah, that's how I play too... but sometimes you have to go into buildings.... and sometimes people are there even if you scout.

in which case, I would probably KOS because screw being KOS'd right? :)

KoS is a part of the whole experience I feel. I don't do it myself if I can help it (and thats gotten me killed more times than I can count). But having that threat over your head every time you play is what makes playing the game so intense. And KoS isn't always an intentional thing either. Given a split second to decide,  your brain can have you pulling the trigger before youve even conciously decided to fire. Having a decent surrender/subdue system with handcuffs etc. has given bandits a lot more options in how they go about things, and even if you do end up dead afterwards, it can still be a fun (and often ridiculous) experience.

That said hanging out on the coast and killing fresh spawns from 300m out just sounds incredibly pointless and boring to me. Killing for loot as a bandit is one thing and adds a great dynamic to the game, killing our of selve preservation is easily understandable, Just killing for the sake of killing is a bit daft,

• Like 2

I personally still have not ever once Killed On Sight.. I just finally made my way up to the NWAB and the 2 Military Bases in the NW, grabbed as much shit as I could then ran back to Cherno. I finally was able to help some guys out gave them some of my guns food etc, always sneaking up and surprising them, even hung out with the bambies for awhile. I was getting low on supply's and forgot I had not gotten a radio yet so made my way to the first firestation just to get KOS. So annoying. Now I get to spend another 8 hours gearing up and heading back down to help some people out... I always talk before I shoot, I dont understand wtf is wrong with people.

• Like 2

Once improvised weapons are implemented like the bow and arrow, military spawns will be "incredibly rare"

which means the people with the M4's and SKS's will be the minority and will think twice before shooting unless there sure they will make it out alive.

Losing your rifle will be much more devastating then it is now, where you can currently get a rifle in less than 30min as of now.

I can't wait when this happens! ;)

The thing is that we all experience those situations in which we say "hello, I'm friendly" and get killed anyway. Speaking to someone who might just instantly kill you is putting you as a disadvantage because your guard is down. Its safer to just shoot.

I've tried as best I can to avoid that tactic, but it becomes increasingly apparent that it is unavoidable. If I see you, and you're armed and a threat (i.e: got the gun in your hands) I'm going to shoot you. There's no reason to kill unarmed players on sight unless they come too close to you, but there is every reason to kill armed players on sight.

Last evening, simply going down the spawn places and cleaning the areas of infected so the bambis make it more safe.

Eventually got ambushed from the wood slope and shot to death without warning. Is there a reason behind that ?

Death in DayZ needs no reasoning, just cause.

My wild guess is he wanted my flak jacket and shotgun so he could give to a friend ? Or maybe he just wanted one of the pieces. Who cares anyway, I was dead, he was alive... for the time being.

So, what is to blame on his KoS attitude ? Nothing. He made sure he would get what he needed to keep alive and to keep his "wolfpack" alive.

I really hope that the private hive stuff will soon be released. So all the folks, that are suffering from kos and too dark nights, can meet up on their password secured server and have fun running around and holding hands while singing songs.  <_<

leonardo-di-caprio-walking-movie-9gag-jo

Edited by TiKilla

I've tried as best I can to avoid that tactic, but it becomes increasingly apparent that it is unavoidable. If I see you, and you're armed and a threat (i.e: got the gun in your hands) I'm going to shoot you. There's no reason to kill unarmed players on sight unless they come too close to you, but there is every reason to kill armed players on sight.

That's my point!

I was complying, and obviously not a threat because I was prone... bam, headful of lead.

I'm not going to change my way and be a KOSer myself. I just want to be able to see the name of the dick who shot me... so I can find him and take revenge.

I really hope that the private hive stuff will soon be released. So all the folks, that are suffering from kos and too dark nights, can meet up on their password secured server and have fun running around and holding hands while singing songs.  <_<

Why is it that you assume I want to hold hands? All I am looking for is a little sense to the killing.

I have a gun you want, ok, kill me or rob me... I have backpack you want, but no weapon... cuff me and take the backpack... but why the bullet in the head?

There is no REASON in killing an unarmed player. He poses no threat. If you would even just poison me instead of shooting me in the head.

I want competitive gameplay, firefights over good loot, fighting over territory. Reason for my death... not just "I have a gun, you don't. lol".

I can't see what system could be put in to prevent it... and I'm not really looking for one either...

I guess I feel the same way about these people who kill unarmed players as I feel about really religious people... I'm really curious as to find out what it is that make them that way...

I just don't get it.

Edited by Rasped
  • Like 1

The reason people do KoS is because they are pussies. Too affraid to take the slightest risk. IMHO there should be only one live at all. You get killed, no more playing DayZ unless you buy another full version. Actually saying the that death is permanent is just plain wrong. You have unlimited lives. Losing the gear isn't really a problem, it doesn't take much to fully gear up again.

If ever a human being is worth more than just the gear he carries (knowledge, skills), then maybe KoS will be less a problem. Until then, a human player is nothing else than a threat.

And to those who repeatedly defending their KoS playstyle as "the way it's meant to be played": you're just so wrong. It is about survival. If you think that means it is only about your personal survival, well, then maybe mankind deserves extinction. Maybe thinking a little bit further than only for yourself would be a idea. But surely this wont happen.

• Like 5

Why is it that you assume I want to hold hands? All I am looking for is a little sense to the killing.

I have a gun you want, ok, kill me or rob me... I have backpack you want, but no weapon... cuff me and take the backpack... but why the bullet in the head?

There is no REASON in killing an unarmed player. He poses no threat. If you would even just poison me instead of shooting me in the head.

I want competitive gameplay, firefights over good loot, fighting over territory. Reason for my death... not just "I have a gun, you don't. lol".

I can't see what system could be put in to prevent it... and I'm not really looking for one either...

I guess I feel the same way about these people who kill unarmed players as I feel about really religious people... I'm really curious as to find out what it is that make them that way...

I just don't get it.

Let me sneak up behind you and punch you in the head, and when I robbing all your shit while your unconscious for 20 secs you can tell me fresh spawns are not a threat.

Until they nerf your fists from knocking someone out from one or two punches to the head, then I will feel safe around an unarmed player.

Edited by TEST_SUBJECT_83
  • Like 1

The reason people do KoS is because they are pussies. Too affraid to take the slightest risk. IMHO there should be only one live at all. You get killed, no more playing DayZ unless you buy another full version. Actually saying the that death is permanent is just plain wrong. You have unlimited lives. Losing the gear isn't really a problem, it doesn't take much to fully gear up again.

If ever a human being is worth more than just the gear he carries (knowledge, skills), then maybe KoS will be less a problem. Until then, a human player is nothing else than a threat.

And to those who repeatedly defending their KoS playstyle as "the way it's meant to be played": you're just so wrong. It is about survival. If you think that means it is only about your personal survival, well, then maybe mankind deserves extinction. Maybe thinking a little bit further than only for yourself would be a idea. But surely this wont happen.

Actually... this would just make KOSing worse... Then there would be real fun for the assholes to kill people (LOL, I just cost that guy 30$).

The best ... not solution, but deterrent to KOS would be Zombie Swarming. Fire one shot, you attract a couple of zombies. more shots, more noise, more zombies. Obviously, zombies should be more of a threat than now for that to work.

But imagine... should I kill this guy who has nothing, and then have to deal with XX zombies afterwards? Is it worth it?...

It would be more like "The walking dead"(Not the game). Where you don't shoot unless there is a reason... because sound = zombies..

Let me sneak up behind you and punch you in the head, and when I robbing all your shit while your unconscious for 20 secs you can tell me fresh spawns are not a threat.

Until they nerf your fists from knocking someone out from one or two punches to the head, then I will feel safe around an unarmed player.

There you go. First reasonable response to the "Why?" question yet. But still...Not enough reason for me to KOS unarmed players.

@Rasped

You shoot Zombies? I'll use the firefighter axe all the time. Safe and silent, problem solved.

• Like 3

... but why the bullet in the head?

there you go...

I have a gun you want, ok, kill me or rob me

Even an unarmed player can punch you to death and take your stuff. So yes, there might be a reason to not trust anyone and kill them on sight.

And for instance, who in real life would run towards an armed person, waving with his hands and screeming "I'm friendly".  <_<

The whole "no kos / real humanity system" topcis are pointless. This is not plants vs zombies, it's an apocalyptic simulation and if you behave like that, I bet you'll be fine. 

@Rasped

You shoot Zombies? I'll use the firefighter axe all the time. Safe and silent, problem solved.

Not in the current state no. I use the axe. But zombies should pose a threat, not just a nuisance... So much a threat that you will think about aggroing them.(should I fire my gun at this guy?Does he have anything I absolutely want?)

there you go...

Even an unarmed player can punch you to death and take your stuff. So yes, there might be a reason to not trust anyone and kill them on sight.

And for instance, who in real life would run towards an armed person, waving with his hands and screeming "I'm friendly".  <_<

The whole "no kos / real humanity system" topcis are pointless. This is not plants vs zombies, it's an apocalyptic simulation and if you behave like that, I bet you'll be fine. 

I don't run up to people screaming I am friendly... I was told to "get down on the ground"... which I did... then a bullet to the head. THAT is what I am having such a hard time getting along with. Naked people chasing armed people... shoot the naked guy... I don't give a shit, he is being a prick and deserves the bullet.

Had I not gotten on the ground as I was told... shoot me... 

But at least pretend that you are human when you play...

And I don't want a humanity system. I want a real plausible(yeah, zombies) reason to think before you shoot.

Edited by Rasped

As always (and i dont see it changing) if you are well kitted you have nothing to gain by trying to trust someone and everything to lose.

For the most part now, i am KOS if someone has a gun. I've tried making contact several times only to be shot immediately. If they have melee weapons i may let them live (if they have seen me) depending on if they seem aggressive or not.

However if i am looting a down and someone else is there looting, i will try and kill them. Why let them go their own way when they could potentially find a weapon any moment and turn it on me?

I enjoy teaming up where possible, but very few people afford me the chance.

As always (and i dont see it changing) if you are well kitted you have nothing to gain by trying to trust someone and everything to lose.

For the most part now, i am KOS if someone has a gun. I've tried making contact several times only to be shot immediately. If they have melee weapons i may let them live (if they have seen me) depending on if they seem aggressive or not.

However if i am looting a down and someone else is there looting, i will try and kill them. Why let them go their own way when they could potentially find a weapon any moment and turn it on me?

I enjoy teaming up where possible, but very few people afford me the chance.

As I understand it... rampant KOS was also the case in the mod... and there people had less to lose due to the tents, cars, bases and what not.

I don't think "Less to lose" is a way to solve this(Yes, I do think it needs solving, I doubt there would be so much senseless killing should there be a real zombie apocalypse). 

I only see inconvinience and/or danger to the attacker as a possible solution. Right now, it takes 1-2 bullets, 4-5 seconds and you gain some safety and maybe something to eat. If it took 3-4 minutes to clear the zombies after a kill(Because of the noise associated). And possibly loss of health from fighting said zombies. I think that would deter some people from shooting.

Obviously the knock out with bare hands thing needs to be adressed as well, because that is a real danger that I understand some people fearing. I've only been boxed to death once, and that was because I let him. It would have been really easy to outrun him(or shoot him if I had a gun). I just don't perceive unarmed players as a threat... most assholes I meet are fully geared.

There you go. First reasonable response to the "Why?" question yet. But still...Not enough reason for me to KOS unarmed players.

So your saying you would rather take of a bambi coming up to you and straight out decking you in the face, KOing you, taking your gear, and then killing you? I've done this countless times. 

So your saying you would rather take of a bambi coming up to you and straight out decking you in the face, KOing you, taking your gear, and then killing you? I've done this countless times. 

I don't let players get close... I tell naked people to back off... if they don't comply, they have earned their bullet.

But if they stop. If they behave like a normal human being and try to interact in a way that doesn't seem to be erratic, psychotic, aggressive. I have no problem with them, and I will try to help them.

I've been shot a couple of times where I had no gun, my hands up(as in "I Surrender")... and did what the bandit told me.

If players act aggressive or threatening, by all means, shoot them. But if they are unarmed and try to avoid you.. or follow your orders... Tell them to not follow you... sprint away, turn around... shoot them if they follow.

They should just change the "You are dead" screen by "Game Over". Remember the NES? The SNES? Sega? Back in the days, game over meant starting again. Not much has changed since, except the mentality of the players...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsx2vdn7gpY

I agree... All this autosave shit has made us far too comfortable. I remember those games that if you wanted a break you'd have to be willing to go back to square one...