Insannik

Are they breaking DayZ as we know it?

This is still a game. You buy games to have fun. 

I wonder how many of those guys that say "It's survival, you don't need a gun" will drop the game because after a while, not having a gun, not shooting anything is just no fun. 

i enjoy(*) exploring big, atmospheric gameworlds and getting immersed to them. no guns necessary.

i'm saying this again; it sounds like you should play something else than DayZ

*enjoy = to receive pleasure or satisfaction from, to have fun

I give up on this topic. People fail to see my point because they all think I'm some random CoD kid that just wants to shoot stuff. Nothing is less true.

We'll see how the game develops but of it develops like a boring, no action, build your base and survive game.. I'll go play sims because even that is more fun.

I'm saying that you need weapons for action and if theres only 3 guys on every server with a gun capable of killing someone the game will become boring. Believe me. Even those who say they would like it to be that way will drop the game in no time.

I hope I made my point clear but we'll see how things evolve in the future.

Dayz is not built on running, that makes no sense at all.

My point is, stop complaining that it takes time to travel, it will always take time, that's the way it is. It might not be relevant to you, so i would understand if a lack of context caused to you fail to understand that. 

I doubt will see a decrease in firearms, but top tier military weapons will decrease.

The reason why the M4, an endgame weapon was was so easy to find in the beginning, was because the M4 platform is probably the most moddable weapons platform. It made sense to model the most difficult and advanced weapon first, simply to make sure it was possible. As more and more weapons makes it into the game, it makes perfect sense, than they decrease the spawn rate of the top tier M4.

With the rampant server hopping, every bandit had a M4 with 60 round magazines and if The Road was an inspiration for Rocket, bandits running around spraying and praying like headless chickens, probably wasn't the intention. You can still have a lot of fun with a handgun, revolver, Mosin and a shotgun, you don't have to carry a M4 with 700 rounds to drop a n00b at the beach.

Edited by Dallas

I give up on this topic. People fail to see my point because they all think I'm some random CoD kid that just wants to shoot stuff. Nothing is less true.

We'll see how the game develops but of it develops like a boring, no action, build your base and survive game.. I'll go play sims because even that is more fun.

I'm saying that you need weapons for action and if theres only 3 guys on every server with a gun capable of killing someone the game will become boring. Believe me. Even those who say they would like it to be that way will drop the game in no time.

why do you think this game has sold over a million copies in alpha state, if people would not think it's fun as it is?

think, dude, THINK.

it's far from complete, but people love the core idea of it.

Edited by komadose

The loot system is definitely a work in progress and needs to be balanced. I think one of the problems is that melee weapons other than the fireman's ax are absolutely terrible against infected. At the same time, the PVP melee combat seems overpowered. Perhaps melee weapons should be more effective against infected and less effective against players. Only in absolute desperation do I ever carry a melee weapon besides the fireman's ax because they're generally worthless. If I have an effective melee weapon I don't actually need a firearm as I can usually avoid other players if I'm careful.

When it comes to firearms, I look forward to a larger variety of weapons. Some of the civilian weapons should be superior to some of the military weapons, just as they are in real life. The M-16 I was issued at Ft. Benning was in pretty rough shape. Don't get me wrong, it did the job but most people I know that own firearms keep them in much better shape than the one I was issued. This problem is even more pronounced in second and third world forces. I'd rather have a pristine Winchester 30-30 than a ratty M4 with a shot out barrel. 

When it comes to firearms, I look forward to a larger variety of weapons. Some of the civilian weapons should be superior to some of the military weapons, just as they are in real life. The M-16 I was issued at Ft. Benning was in pretty rough shape. Don't get me wrong, it did the job but most people I know that own firearms keep them in much better shape than the one I was issued. This problem is even more pronounced in second and third world forces. I'd rather have a pristine Winchester 30-30 than a ratty M4 with a shot out barrel. 

Agreed Civilian weapons would usually be in far better shape than military weapons. Most civi weapons are safe queens, pampered guns fired occasionally and babied. Meanwhile mil weapons get beat up.

• Like 1

see this is what is completely off base,

first you must fix the basics, then you can play with the loot tables.

they must add the loot spawn timer and fix the combat log and server hopping before playing with loot tables.

playing with loot tables is too simple, focus on the issues that matter first. They go hand in hand with spawn rates.

but dont make sense unless we have actuall loot spawn timers...lol

if they make weapons more rare on servers that only populate loot when restarted, this only compounds the matter of server hopping.

common sense m8!

Making the loot and weapons rarer and rarer and turning a lot of servers to use night mode,  is causing  more and more server hopping and its getting insanely difficult to find a day server to spawn on,especially  with friends x2 or more, because most day servers are full or nearly full and most of the night servers a nearly empty or half full

It make me laugh when you see peeps droning on about how we must have night servers for realism  , then when you look most are on the day servers and a huge imbalance is caused  with players loot and servers

leave the loot as it used to be get rid of night servers in my opinion that would help stop this server hopping, for weapons and loot

I like how rare they are making them just makes it more fun to hunt down bandits and server hoppers. :)

Bear in mind there are what 5 or so guns in the game. 

I'm sure more will be added. So they might get slightly less difficult to find.

My god. Everyone has their own play style but I've read multiple comments mentioning the "avoid players"... Holy shit.. I just don't see how you can have any fun in this game of you don't get into these weird situations with other players.. It's a game about interaction with other players. If you don't do this you shouldn't be playing this game but go play a single player game.

And about the millions of people buying the game.. they bought the game because they liked the mod. Half of them will not like the end-product..

THINK MAN... THINK..

And about the millions of people buying the game.. they bought the game because they liked the mod. Half of them will not like the end-product..

THINK MAN... THINK..

I think (or rather THINK) that you don't know what the end-product will be like... This being an early alpha, you know.

Edited by janol

I feel worried that this game might not turn into the game I hoped for.

On a side note, I don't think they set out to make the "game that you'd hoped for".

Hmm, if anyone here has played since about september 2012, thats how i want the loot tables and spawn rates to be. Finding a really rare sniper or AR should be something you'll be really happy about and not just " ah, AS50, w/e ". Trust me, if they make guns harder to get, when you finally have these guns, the firefights become alot more interesting as you have your extremely high value loot you want to protect. I remember back in the dayz, when there only was vanilla and there were no " extra guns, more barracks " servers, the game was absolutely amazing. Vehicles were hard to get, guns were hard to get, but it wasnt to the level where you had to play 10 hours a day to get military equipment. I think that was the best time of dayz, and you would get military loot guaranteed from northwest if you survived, beacause you would either kill someone or find good loot in the barracks. It was basically high risk, high reward. Maybe its just me but that was my fav time of dayz and i think the loot was perfectly balanced. Aslong as they make it so that going to places like NWAF, and coming out alive, almost guarantees you some sort of military equipment, be it an M4 or an M24 you would atleast get something. 

Technically, you need guns for gun fights, not for action. Melee weapons (improvements coming!) can generate intense action. Ranged weapons allow for lazy diplomacy; I don't have to trade/beg/ally/bribe/trick/interrogate/assist/protect someone if I can end them in 1 button press.

Putting players in situations where they have to do ANYTHING other than shoot or run is what could make DayZ special.

Narrow sighted if we can't acknowledge that as a community.

Edited by UbuntuFoo

since we are at only about 20% of the the final content 
lootables WILL change if more loot is aviable, so does balance of the same
and the factor that everything changes when we have vehicles and bases to maintain and take care of

imho rare items makes the endgame harder to achive and items worthy
also, what fun is it to run arround 1 hour and end up  "having nothing more to do because of you own everything from importance" like