kantsler

Should this be called fun?

Hey guys, Just want to get your opinions on the subject at hand.

We play computer games for fun if im not mistaken.. 

Group and team play can be very rewarding when it comes to computer games, the feeling of achievement once a task is accomplished with a a group of people can feel very epic indeed. 

I want to share a dayz story with you all and before you start throwing shoes at me and sharpening your hate forks please understand that this is not a QQ thread and it was not meant to be a discouraging thread in any case.

anyways back to the story. 2 days ago i start playing as a fresh spawn. The session was some where around 6 hours which included: running  to gear up from east spawn locations to the north west airfield. then meet with my friends at north west airfield (took them 40 minutes to get to me) and head down to ballota. when we got there eventually it was too late and i had to wrap things up.

yesterday I spawn again with my friends and we go to the tall building complex to see if we can find some action.

We position a sniper on one of the roofs and the rest spread in the town. after 2 hours of hopping full servers we havent found a single soul to save or kill. We then decide to head to cherno.

In cherno we hop around 10 server on 30-35 pop and found no one either.

the time is now 3:00 am and i have to wake up in 6 hours for work. I decide to lead the squad of 4 people to electro and DC there. on our way there a wonderful thing happens

We hear a crack pop snapple sound and one of my friend says he is dead.

we take cover in the trees and try to spot the sniper. Being the sounds of sniper fire in this game are lower then the sound of M4 we have a hard time to see or hear where the sniper was shooting from.

3 more shots fired, he misses. I finaly spot him far far away in the trees and take a shot at him, obviously missing him and he run a bit farther up the trees.

20 minutes later we still try and spot him we hear another shot, I see him again and run for line of sight to take a shot at him. 

The sound of crack pop spik sounds in my headphones and a message "you are dead" on a black screen finishes my 12 hours journey in dayz.

So lets take a look at my game experience shall we?

we had around 4 hours of holding the W key and running this wonderful hike simulator 2014.

we have around 1 hours total of eating and drinking.

we had around 2 hours of waiting for friends to get to me.

we had about 30 minutes of server hopping down time due to no loot or server change cause of lag.

we had about 2 hours of laying and crouching on rooftops looking for interactions with none existing players on full pop servers.

we also had about 2 hours looting empty towns for food and water.

finaly we had about 30 minutes of pvp which resolved in re setting all of our hard work and putting us back where we started, north east with a flashlight.

Now this got me thinking, is this really worth my time? I mean i spent 12 hours on a journey that 99% of was spent on looking for loot eating waiting and running just so i can have some action for 30 minutes and then do it all over again?

is this what the gaming community calls fun these days or am i not getting some thing?

I see great potential in this game but the concept of surviving is a lie. If you want to survive just sit in the woods on empty server and no body will touch you ever.

In my opinion the game is about PVP and those who say different kid them self. Its all about killing bandits or killing everybody on sight and if thats the case which it is no matter what any one says why is it so frustrating and hard to respawn and gear to rejoin your team members in combat?

The answer from most players would be "you are playing the wrong game" and they will probably be right because this is not my cup of tea at all. But some elements of this game are so attractive to me that im willing to close my eyes on the bad things in this game and just fool my self into loving this game. 

Last night my eyes were opened once again and the question WHY was repeating in my head.. why should I do it all over again and waste another evening on preparing my char for the next days adventure that might end in a fire fight of 1-30 minutes.. I wont even mention how many times Iv tried to be "friendly" with some one and got shot in the face the minute the heard my voice on local coms. I will probably stop playing this game from a logical point of view. Life is short and if we are going to spend hours of it in a virtual game they better be worth it. I expect to have 80% fun and 20% work in any game and so far dayz provides 80% work and 20% fun and 19% of the fun is talking to my group member on teamspeak :/

Those who read till the end of the thread are my heroes and I thank you for the interest. Please leave comments and try to avoid telling me how retarded I am for saying negative stuff about dayz. Im just a gamer with a thought on his mind. 

• Like 3

The answer from most players would be "you are playing the wrong game" and they will probably be right because this is not my cup of tea at all.

I think this is the most important part, the core of your post.

It is not for everyone, it cannot be.

Some of us like it this way though, it's a good thing that there is a game for us now.

No worries.

• Like 17

If you take 6 hours to run to north west from east coast, you do not know the map AT ALL. This game is much more than you make it out to be, and if you cannot find loot, you do not know where to get it. Eating untill your full helps you, just saying. This game isnt meant to be a 24/7 fun fest. Survival is fun to me, and if you do not like it, you do not have to play. I suggest you wait for more updates, this game will become more scavenging for survival.

best to survive PVP then innit? specially if you're playing with a group way up north.  Going back to the coast is the punishment of death, believe it or not there are people who stay alive for weeks in this game, they are playing it right..

• Like 3

1. Sandbox

2. The game is what you make it.

That is all.

• Like 3

The DayZ gods frown upon those who server hop

• Like 11

i stoped reading here:

after 2 hours of hopping full Servers //  In cherno we hop around 10 Server

time that shit gets fixed...

Anyways since OP seems like a cool Brosef i shall respond.

A friend of mine bought it too and he just cant get into it. We helped where we could but he constantly nagged us to "go back have some Action" and stuff. We went North to explore a bit. He realized it just not his Cup of tea. Those things happen and thats FINE.

You can allways come back in some months and see if anything changed for you or inside the game. ( wich iam sure it will )

Edited by {Core}BlackLabel
  • Like 3

If you take 6 hours to run to north west from east coast, you do not know the map AT ALL. This game is much more than you make it out to be, and if you cannot find loot, you do not know where to get it. Eating untill your full helps you, just saying. This game isnt meant to be a 24/7 fun fest. Survival is fun to me, and if you do not like it, you do not have to play. I suggest you wait for more updates, this game will become more scavenging for survival.

Hello there

Part of the fun, for me, is NOT knoing where I am, Not knowing where the best loot is etc, when one "knows" the game, for me, most of the fun is gone.

I love the uncertainty and the unknown.

The minute one knows the mechanics enough to make a plan to get quickly geared up, thats when I stop playing. As after that its just a pure PvP game and holds little interest for me.

A chap taking 6 hours to get kitted out IMHO is epic.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 10

" ... on our way there a wonderful thing happens."

Only you can decide whether those wonderful things make the rest worth it. Did your heart start to pump? Adrenalin going? Was it fun?

oops. i guess you forgot it's only in alpha. majority of the features are still missing.

reserve your judgement to the final version. that is all.

e: but yeah, the core idea is there, and it will not change. and i love it.

Edited by komadose
  • Like 1

I hate to repeat the same mantra, but they are right, you're playing the wrong game. DayZ is about surviving the collapse of civilization, this isn't Call of Duty or Battlefield where you are a highly trained soldier fighting for some vaguely defined but totally patriotic goal. You are an average person thrust into one of the most extreme situations a person can endure, and you have one simple goal: survive.

The PvP in this game is intended, it's part of the survival element, where you cannot trust anyone, and even your closest friend might blow your brains out for a spare can of beans if he's hungry enough. This game is humanity stripped down to its disgusting, savage, purest soul. In fact, I don't think 'fun' is the correct word for a game like DayZ... Because there are incredibly long stretches where I am stressed, terrified, angry, upset, and ocassionally bored, but fun is a rarity. I would call this game rewarding.

The first time I outsmarted a man bent on killing me, that exact moment when I knew I had the upper hand, and his life was in my hands, that was a rush I'll never forget. Or that churning in my gut as I make that decision, to shoot someone or not. These aren't fun, but when I lay in bed that night, and think about what those events say about who I am, well that's a reward that Black Ops can't even hold a candle to.

I guess my point is, this isn't Captain Shooty McShooterman's Team Deathmatch Extravaganza. And if that's what you signed on for, my friend, the door is that way. This game is meant to be hard, gruelling, and upsetting. As the saying which is a lot older than me goes: If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

• Like 7

The creator of DayZ used to call it an anti-game. It was never intended to be "fun", not in the sense of you being constantly entertained and rewarded.

It was intended to fill the gap in the market for a realistic zombie survival simulator, for people who want to experience such a thing.

Edited by Ulfhedjinn
  • Like 1

Hi.

You didn't actually say what it is you like about the game, so I'm going to assume it's the way the engine handles combat.

You would probably be better off playing vanilla ArmA 2 or 3, as they have the features that make pvp good here.

That aside, you could also put the game down for awhile, because I'm pretty sure once SA becomes moddable, there will be plenty of PVP based servers spawning you in with a full kit.

But don't expect the base game to turn into an intsa-frag-fest deathmatch thing. There's already way too many of those on the market.

Regards.

• Like 2

Is it worth it? Well you tell me. You spend $20 bucks on a game that gave you 12 hours of gameplay in the first go round. And the great thing about it is, now that you died you can spend another 12 hours doing the same. So if anything you spent 2 days playing 24 hours worth of a video game for $20 bucks. Sounds legit right? 

this game is not about respawning every 20 seconds and killing 4 guys per minute. it is investing your time to find some stuff and then trying to survive. Some people kos to stay alive, some try to be nice to others AND stay alive.

For me it is the biggest fun: Staying alive when you meet another player. And let me tell you something: because of all this game clunkiness, when your group get into fire fight with another group and you manage to walk away... oh man... biggest adrenaline rush in all the games I played so far. Hands shaking, heart beating like crazy... awesome feeling.

• Like 6

Hello there

Part of the fun, for me, is NOT knoing where I am, Not knowing where the best loot is etc, when one "knows" the game, for me, most of the fun is gone.

I love the uncertainty and the unknown.

The minute one knows the mechanics enough to make a plan to get quickly geared up, thats when I stop playing. As after that its just a pure PvP game and holds little interest for me.

A chap taking 6 hours to get kitted out IMHO is epic.

Rgds

LoK

I can't agree more, but unfortunately i let myself be spoiled by a mate, who insisted on cramming every little detail about the game down my throat. I got to know the map and mechanics within a day. The most fun part was when i first spawned, and i seemed lost in a big world. Now the map is just small to me.

I'm trying to find a way to get back, but i think it's too late. I'm not using the external map anymore though. But i don't even need it anymore to get to places. It all happened too fast.

Rocket brand new map plz :(

Or a device which erases specific parts of memory would be good too.

Edited by Greaves

I can't agree more, but unfortunately i let myself be spoiled by a mate, who insisted on cramming every little detail about the game down my throat. I got to know the map and mechanics within a day. The most fun part was when i first spawned, and i seemed lost in a big world. Now the map is just small to me.

I'm trying to find a way to get back, but i think it's too late.

Rocket brand new map plz :(

Hello there

I want a procedural map, or the map to be in "chunks" and randomly thrown together (with rules to stop insanity).

Just my pipe dream though.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 5

I want a procedural map, or the map to be in "chunks" and randomly thrown together (with rules to stop insanity).

Just my pipe dream though.

That would do it. I'd be lost again. 

I hope some good modders will do this sort of thing.

Edited by Greaves

I can't agree more, but unfortunately i let myself be spoiled by a mate, who insisted on cramming every little detail about the game down my throat.

Thats another Point. HALF the fun for me at the start was that i had NO damm clue where i was nor where i was going. I found so many places that left we in awe and wonder. Not that the wonder is gone now but i generaly know where to go.

• Like 3

Thats another Point. HALF the fun for me at the start was that i had NO damm clue where i was nor where i was going. I found so many places that left we in awe and wonder. Not that the wonder is gone now but i generaly know where to go.

Yes. All i can do now is wait for modders (don't think the devs will do this) to cut the map in chunks and randomly throw them together, so to speak. Like Orlok said. (On specific servers, ofcourse.) And if you're starting to get to know the map, move to another one.)

Or a new map, twice as big, if i had my way. But that might be too much to dream for.

Edited by Greaves

Part of the 'fun' is in NOT hopping just because you haven't found what you want. It's not even in finding what you want, really, for that play the mod maybe or something else entirely.

There really isn't a massive amount of loot to get yet, most of it you don't even need yet either. DayZ isn't all about getting all the best items and then looking for pvp.

I can think of half a dozen other games that can do that.

DayZ (to me) is about being immersed in the environment, maybe as escapism, but also as the experience of going about in this expansive online world and always having that feeling of being in someone's crosshairs at any moment. There's a thrill to the danger side of it that isn't there in any other game. Also about surviving, yes, but not how you said.

Obviously to survive on an empty server would be easy almost anyone could do that. It's the attempt to still survive, in the woods, but travelling from place to place and running into people randomly and whatever that entails.

What achievement is there in sitting under a tree on an empty server surviving. I think there is a lot more to this game than anything else I've ever played (also why I never play anything else now).

Yeah I'm a fan boy, but I'm not trying to put down your way of seeing the game, just trying to explain what makes me tick and why I think you could enjoy it a lot more if you looked at it a little differently.

Getting a gun, running to a roof near said gun spawn and waiting for someone to shoot at is only skimming the top of the mountain of what DayZ has. In my experience.

• Like 5

In my opinion the game is about PVP and those who say different kid them self.

I think it is hesticial after telling your 'story' you manage to make this statement.  Too funny and i doubt anything anyone says will enlighten you.

With the present lack of content, being an alpha and all, there is not a lot to do outside PVP.. but the game is not being designed with its sole purpose as PVP.  It is PVE and part of the E is the P :)

• Like 1

DayZ (to me) is about being immersed in the environment, maybe as escapism, but also as the experience of going about in this expansive online world and always having that feeling of being in someone's crosshairs at any moment. There's a thrill to the danger side of it that isn't there in any other game. Also about surviving, yes, but not how you said.

Obviously to survive on an empty server would be easy almost anyone could do that. It's the attempt to still survive, in the woods, but travelling from place to place and running into people randomly and whatever that entails.

What achievement is there in sitting under a tree on an empty server surviving. I think there is a lot more to this game than anything else I've ever played (also why I never play anything else now).

Cant give you enough of my beans for this good sire. But..have a can.

I feel that alot of People view this as some e-Sport Thing and a Person i know even stated "i dont care about the game i just want to shoot People in electro"....no sire he dident "get" the game and will never experience its full Beauty and depth.

Edited by {Core}BlackLabel
  • Like 1

Hey OP, i can relate to what you said, and trust me it was the same early on in the mod days for me. I  spend ages gearing up or meeting a friend, only to be shot dead by the fit person i saw. Its very dissapointing, and i found myself sat there thinking "what was the point".

The i found out about tents, they give a purpose to looting, and a safety net when you die. The first thing i try to do n a new mod server now is get a tent up. Then i am "established" on that sever. I even stow my rifle (even i its the only one i got) and go out to look for another feeling safe that if i die i have  spare gun with some food drink and hunting gear stashed away.

When basebuilding comes along you will have much more to do and ways to make death less painfull. Like instead of spawning in a city, you could spawn in a lowwer traffic area that was near your camp :)