Timecharge

Whats wrong with server hopping?

You might ruin the fun for someone who does play legitimately. Maybe that person just took 30 minutes walking to the police station you just hopped in, on his server. And you steal the gear right from under his nose. If you do this 10 times, imagine how many legit players you might dissapoint.

This is exactly the massive problem with it. I play properly and every time I get to someout of the way place, even on a quiet server, chances are some server hopper has jumped through ahead of me and taken everything.

• Like 2

You're missing the whole 'spirit of the game'.

I would also be interested to know how many of these server-hoppers also use the argument on this forum 'Yeah, but in a real apocalypse...blah blah blah' when discussing kos or pve

Dayz is a zombie mmo. The game wasnt designed for players to be jumping from server to server like magical transdimentional beings. You are supposed to find loot by traveling through the world, not by running to that one spot you know Mosins spawn and server hopping for 20 minutes. Loot would be easier to find if it wasnt getting snatched up by server hoppers. Traveling long distances would be more rewarding.

When I travel through cities, I can literally hear server hopper after server hopper logging in and out all around me. Its like no one stays in the game for more than 30 seconds nowadays. You will never run into players in a natural way and have a true dayz experience with this stuff going on. Its just stupid and it undermines a core pillar of the games developement.

Edited by Solopopo
  • Like 1

server hopping is taking the fun of discovery out of this game. i'm server hopping as long as it's possible, since it's the only way to keep up with others. i'm more than happy to start roaming the map to earn loot legitimately when it's removed.

they should do what ever it takes to kill server hopping.

lol @ all those butthurt comments from people taking this game way too seriously

Now, tell me a way to stop server hopping, stupid ass cooldowns/timers don't count as a solution.

Yes , they do count as a solution. What do you suggest retard

Get rid of the hive, official private servers would fix hopping and ghosting issues.

• Like 1

A fun thing to do is to stand in a place where you know people server hop, like the second floor room in a police house, and when someone hops in, you shoot/axe him and steal his stuff.

• Like 1

This is exactly the massive problem with it. I play properly and every time I get to someout of the way place, even on a quiet server, chances are some server hopper has jumped through ahead of me and taken everything.

Exactly I trek 3/4 of the way across the map, spend forever checking for other players and scour the airfield to find that it's been raped by server hoppers, Hell sometime I can get all pristine attachments for an M4 before I get the guns itself.  How do I know it's server hoppers? cos they'll loot a small area and nothing else.  Now your saying that for playing the game the way it was intended I should be punished?

Explain to me how server hopping is different to using cheats to get guns and ammo and I'll start server hopping.

• Like 1

you don't even deserve to get a reply, there's no way you'll ever comprehend these simple concepts. i just wish dayZ was less popular so the community wasn't littered with idiot cod kids who really should just not be playing this game.

^^^100% they will weed out eventually

I still think that if you change servers you should lose every metallic object in your inventory  (a la THE LONG EARTH) Therefore, you can server hop all you like, but you will never be able to take your weapons with you. You would of course retain everything if you logged out and logged back into the original server. 

Yes there would be casualties if you de-synchronized. But I think the small amount of casualties (of war) would be acceptable. More stable servers would minimise the casualties.

If you wanted to move servers to join your friends, then they would have to assist you in re equipping. Or there could be a built in timer. If you log out you can log back into any server without any loss after 1 hour? (or other arbitrary time set by the admins) 

My thoughts...flame away :)

You might ruin the fun for someone who does play legitimately. Maybe that person just took 30 minutes walking to the police station you just hopped in, on his server. And you steal the gear right from under his nose. If you do this 10 times, imagine how many legit players you might dissapoint.

Only legit explanation.

Every one else's is terrible and does not answer the OP.

Good thing these naive people aren't politicians.

• Like 1

Exactly I trek 3/4 of the way across the map, spend forever checking for other players and scour the airfield to find that it's been raped by server hoppers, Hell sometime I can get all pristine attachments for an M4 before I get the guns itself.  How do I know it's server hoppers? cos they'll loot a small area and nothing else.  Now your saying that for playing the game the way it was intended I should be punished?

Explain to me how server hopping is different to using cheats to get guns and ammo and I'll start server hopping.

This would be why I can never find any ammo, but find loads of worn gun parts.

I suspect this is also why there are so many groups of 4-5 of fully geared players running rampage across the SA. 

• Like 1

It defeats the purpose of the game, which is in essence- a time sink.  The "game" is basically finding what you need to survive, thrive, etc.

By server hopping and fast tracking that process, you're effectively skipping all the 'content.'

...As I understand it.

First reply answered the question in its entirety.  The point of the game is to scavenge and survive.  Put yourself in the shoes of your survivor and do whatever it takes to survive.  In a real scenario, you can't just scavenge a town that's been picked over and go "Well, better switch servers!"

That is why you shouldn't server hop.  Not to mention the fact that the people playing the game correctly, the way I mentioned above, are losing out because people are server hopping rather than playing together.  So together with the fact that it breaks everyone's immersion in the game, it's giving you an unfair advantage and screwing over others who are trying to play fair.

The fact that Dean is working on a fix is something of an indicator that it shouldn't be done in the first place.  But kids will always exploit and do what it takes to gain an unfair advantage I guess.  In the end you do what you want, but I will be there killing players like you who can't play the correct way and have to re-adapt to the game because you learned how to exploit rather than learn how to survive.

Server hopping is legit.   Otherwise you wouldn't be able to do it. 

The answer is fix the loot spawns.

Don't like server-hoppers?

Kill them.

• Like 1

How you explain that the dev Team activly tries to prevent it in the future ?

Server hopping is legit. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to do it.

Kill them.

I am able to combat log, dupe my body, abuse glitches and, hell, I am even able to cheat.

Does being able to do stuff make them legit?

Kill them.

I'm pretty sure this is just troll bait, but....

It's like say drink driving, theft, rape and murder we can do all of those things, does that make them "legit"

Edit: This is an alpha so there is a bunch of bugs and glitches I can run up hills that force your character to walk or really steep ones, Did I brag about it and tell everyone it's part of the game no, I logged it into the bug tracker.

Edited by Window Licker

how did you come to the conclusion that spawns are not legit, but hopping is?

according to your logic, they are both legit since they are there.

Random loot problem solved, but i must admit i enjoy camping in bases shooting server hoppers, they are way to focused on the loot they cant spot shit :D

• Like 2

Random loot problem solved, but i must admit i enjoy camping in bases shooting server hoppers, they are way to focused on the loot they cant spot shit :D

your kind, sir, are the only medicine against server hoppers at the moment. thanks for doing the gods work.

• Like 2

Server hopping effectively breaks the game.

Look at it this way.

Server Hopping:

-Little to no danger to earn whatever gear you please, just logout where it spawns

-Quick and easy gearing of even a brand new beach spawn

-Avoiding all perils regarding running from town to town trying to find all your supplies and gear

-Can easy stock up an abundance of ammunition and your select weaponry

-It's lame

Now picture a server or group of servers where it were somehow impossible to hop:

-You must take the time to run through the forest, along the roads, through each town, looking for what you want.

-Once in a town, you have to make your way past zeds and potential players to reach your destination

-When running you're actually expending energy/hydration, opposed to server hopping where little is used

-You face all of the dangers of exposing yourself as you sprint from town to town looking for your gear

-You may get there and the gear is already gone after a 30 minute hike (probably taken by a server hopping asshole)

In short, server hopping is pretty lame and a game breaking mechanic.  You don't work for your gear, when many of us are.  The game is much more challenging when you have to actually go earn your gear as opposed to easy mode.

• Like 2

Your a fine Gentleman and I shall raise a glass in your honor tonight.

I would love to see 100% random loot.  And I think it fits the game anyway.

I think if an M4 were to spawn in a civilian area (for example) it should be resting against a dead body/skeleton.  Perhaps a survivor that had found it before wound up there and starved/bled to death.

I think it would be cool!  And solve the server hopping issue.

Kill them.

Yeah they're legit alright.  That's why the devs are working on "FIXES" for this.  Right.

Server hopping effectively breaks the game.

Look at it this way.

Server Hopping:

-Little to no danger to earn whatever gear you please, just logout where it spawns

-Quick and easy gearing of even a brand new beach spawn

-Avoiding all perils regarding running from town to town trying to find all your supplies and gear

-Can easy stock up an abundance of ammunition and your select weaponry

-It's lame

Now picture a server or group of servers where it were somehow impossible to hop:

-You must take the time to run through the forest, along the roads, through each town, looking for what you want.

-Once in a town, you have to make your way past zeds and potential players to reach your destination

-When running you're actually expending energy/hydration, opposed to server hopping where little is used

-You face all of the dangers of exposing yourself as you sprint from town to town looking for your gear

-You may get there and the gear is already gone after a 30 minute hike (probably taken by a server hopping asshole)

In short, server hopping is pretty lame and a game breaking mechanic.  You don't work for your gear, when many of us are.  The game is much more challenging when you have to actually go earn your gear as opposed to easy mode.

Yeah I agree.  Though you gotta remember the people that server hop are also the same scum that combat log any time any potential danger pops up.  These are kids who think they're hot shit and get their "lolz" from doing this.  They won't listen to your logic or mine - or anyone's.