hoopman130

More than one character

I know that this is not a traditional thing for DayZ, but i would personally love it if you could access more than one character. I personally have a couple friends i play with, and my character is fully geared up. My computer lags a lot, and i would prefer not to risk losing all of my gear i have accumulated, so i personally feel it would make the game better if you were able to have more than one character. Comments?

While you have some points I dont think this will ever happen because the game does not want you to feel safe.

Glad you made a real post and did not just bitch and say More charcter slots NOW!!!!

But to answer your question dont count on it.

• Like 1

No. Assholes are just going to loot pile with multiple characters, so they don't risk it on having a base/vehicle. That is ridiculously stupid. DayZ isn't supposed to make you feel safe.

I see a big problem with this.

What if someone makes a character like a packmule.  Keeping gear on him so that when one of his characters dies he can log onto that one.  Then he makes another packmule. (probably by server hopping).    

Hey Guys, first post - so please dont tear me into peaces  :)

I just had the same idea with my friend and so i went here and found this topic. 

We just came to the point that if you have multiple friends to play Dayz with, but some of them dont play with each other, you get the problem to decide with whom you want to play.

And as it comes both groups play on the other end of the map, so running over is kinda stupid. My suggestion is a second character, just to start over new with your "other" friends.

And to prevent loot piles one could make some kind of serverlock for the second character on which the first character was last logged in. Best would be a serverlock until the server restarts,

so no gear switching between character is possible.

I see that multiple characters could lead to players getting them self advantages, but I think there can be a way to prevent this. And i would really like the option to start the game once more a second character.

Edited by Harribert

Yeah I thought about it but ruled it out as people would just gear up chars and swap things between them. It would totally screw with the survival thing and the perma death if when you die you could just get your other char to the spawn point and dump a bunch of gear there and relog in

Pretty sure it's already possible to create a second character. Here's how:

• Create a new steam account
  • Purchase another copy of DayZ on this account

Makes you wonder about the abuse this could lead to, and how perhaps allowing character selection might not be such a bad idea.

Sorry.

Edited by Mithrawndo

I think there are merits to this. Let's say you have a brother, and you both use one computer... You don't want your brother getting your character killed and you don't want all of the "stupid stuff" he puts on your character. You like the M4, he likes the mosin. He playes with his friends and they are on the coast... You like to hang out at Northwest with your friends... After he's done you have to run back?

You can't really use this as a loot hoarding mechanic unless you can get both characters to the same spot and people are always migrating around. Same thing for the pack mule idea... 1. You'd have to run to the city with your first character. 2. Logout and in with your second character(time penalty). 3. After the penalty, run in your second character. 4. Log back to your first character(Larger Penalty) and drop the loot for the mule. Log again (a bigger time penalty)... if the stuff is still there... pick it up and repeat. Nobody is going to do that... and if they do they are going to be sitting through a lot of penalty time from relogging.

I think you should be able to have different characters, if a friend comes over... you can use your other character to mess around and show him stuff without killing your main guy.

Thoughts?

I think most MMOs have a policy that it's against the terms of use to let anyone other than a dependent use an account you own. I suspect BI will probably have the same terms in place when it comes around to sorting out all the legalities closer to release. Change your post Gangrene to read "son", and you have a point.

As for the muling: What you describe is exactly what we used to do in Diablo 2. They tried to fix that too by putting a login timer in place. It didn't work.

Change your post Gangrene to read "son", and you have a point.

I was actually thinking in the context of two high school aged sons.

naah. if there would be more characters you wont be scared to go military bases.

It'd be pretty damn easy to make it so your own characters could not interact or share loot. Just apply a tag to the loot that disallows it being shared to any characters on the same account, even if you hand it off to another player first.

If they did that would anyone then have a problem with it? 

• Like 1

I think there are merits to this. Let's say you have a brother, and you both use one computer... You don't want your brother getting your character killed and you don't want all of the "stupid stuff" he puts on your character. You like the M4, he likes the mosin. He playes with his friends and they are on the coast... You like to hang out at Northwest with your friends... After he's done you have to run back?

You can't really use this as a loot hoarding mechanic unless you can get both characters to the same spot and people are always migrating around. Same thing for the pack mule idea... 1. You'd have to run to the city with your first character. 2. Logout and in with your second character(time penalty). 3. After the penalty, run in your second character. 4. Log back to your first character(Larger Penalty) and drop the loot for the mule. Log again (a bigger time penalty)... if the stuff is still there... pick it up and repeat. Nobody is going to do that... and if they do they are going to be sitting through a lot of penalty time from relogging.

I think you should be able to have different characters, if a friend comes over... you can use your other character to mess around and show him stuff without killing your main guy.

Thoughts?

I know my brother got onto my account and completely screwed me over and had a good laugh about it; but for most people this isn't an acceptable reason to allow multiple characters; just a good reason for a restraining order.

You already have multiple characters. The one on Regular and the one on Hardcore :)

• Like 1

The game isn't about to make you feel safe.

Every one shouldn't be safe as it doesn't make sense to stay alive for years. The game is about surviving and pretty much everyone has already died in the first time in DayZ SA.

You can have as many characters as you want, and it's really simple!  Just log into your first character and run to the closest zombie/player and let them kill you, and wait to respawn, repeat as desired for more and more characters!

Though going back to taking this as a serious suggestion, the only way i could see it working to prevent hoarding/muling/item stashing is that one character is non saving.  If you die you can restart with a new one like normal, but whenever you log off your charecter simply vanishes from existence, or drops dead on the spot.  And in order to log in with an existing character you must wait at least 30min.  

As for 2 people using the same account, well sorry, that's how companies make money.  You need multiple steam accounts, same as stats on any other game.  Plus legally the agreements that you check off on are usually stating (correct me if i'm wrong) that they are licensing the software to you.  Aka, one person, not multiple, which means that if they really wanted to (which is too much of a problem/cost to do) sharing an account is a breach of that contract and could result in whatever penalties are outlined.

It'd be pretty damn easy to make it so your own characters could not interact or share loot. Just apply a tag to the loot that disallows it being shared to any characters on the same account, even if you hand it off to another player first.

If they did that would anyone then have a problem with it? 

I can see this being exploited in PvP situations by keeping a fully kitted character in an ideal spot while luring others to said spot with an ungeared character, then killing them after combat logging.

In fact, I can actually see a few different scenarios in which it's a bad idea, other than the obvious. In relation to your suggestion, though, I'm not actually sure it's possible to prevent loot from one character passing to another... you wouldn't be able to prevent pack-muling, because someone can just pass the gear to another player and relog on their mule to store it. There's not really any way to prevent that.

It's presently possible to have as many characters as you wish. Simply pay bohemia a further 23.99 euroes for each additional copy of dayz and enjoy your perks...

Yeah. Fix this or every argument against multiple characters is moot.

It's presently possible to have as many characters as you wish. Simply pay bohemia a further 23.99 euroes for each additional copy of dayz and enjoy your perks...

Yeah. Fix this or every argument against multiple characters is moot.

How would that be fixable? 

Require different emails?  Solution, new email.

Require different ip?  Solution, change it.

Require different credit card?  Solution, Prepaid card... plus steam takes the payment not bi

Besides I don't imagine any business is going to lose money to prevent multiple accounts.  The only games I have seen that really care are free to play.  and thats becasue they make money as soon as people buy things in game with real currency and then there are no refunds.

How would that be fixable? 

Require different emails?  Solution, new email.

Require different ip?  Solution, change it.

Require different credit card?  Solution, Prepaid card... plus steam takes the payment not bi

Besides I don't imagine any business is going to lose money to prevent multiple accounts.  The only games I have seen that really care are free to play.  and thats becasue they make money as soon as people buy things in game with real currency and then there are no refunds.

It's not fixable, that was exactly my point. You can't fix this problem so why try? Just allow multiple characters, because people are going to do it anyway. By preventing people who only paid once from doing this, all you are saying is that you support Pay To Win. That's fine too, but I then say: If you're going to allow that, you might as well just sell items too!

None of which I want, I'm just say that's how it is.