floj

[POLL] - 3PP / 1PP and seeing round corners

280 members have voted

1. 1. Does the ability to see around cover affect you?

• I play 1PP only, I will never play in 3PP
    • I play 1PP, but would play 3PP if the ability to see around cover is fixed
    • I play 3PP but think the ability to see around cover should be fixed.
    • I play 3PP and don't think the ability to see around cover should be fixed.
    • I hate polls / no opinion on the ability to see around cover
  2. 2. Which solution would you prefer?

• The Fourth Wall mod type
    • Camera angle restrictions
    • Remove 3PP entirely
    • Other (please post in 3PP fix thread)
    • I don't want a solution
    • I still hate polls / no opinion

220.jpg

Problem solved, go play on 1pp only servers and stop clogging the forums with this repetitive, unending shit

Imagine you got chocolate with nuts and you give your friend that chocolate he reads it and he says hey man I'm sorry but I can't eat this chocolate cuz im allergic on nuts I can eat only regular chocolate what would you do force feed him? Like eat my chocolate nuts cuz i like it lol

"That sucks man, but all chocolate bars have nuts in them, you shouldn't have purchased one."

I like the 4th wall suggestion - though I would want it to be less "static" (persons/zombies just popping up) also it would be cool if there was some blur added to the areas you can't see..

Edited by Randy_Pie

I'm growing tired of this shit. Seriously.

Wow, internet. Just... wow.

I left this thread on page 19 and have just rejoined it on page 26. I'm not even sure how it's possible to add SEVEN FUCKING PAGES to a thread that's already covered every base, angle and argument possible, and yet here we are. I've skimmed over the posts in between and it's mostly the same old tripe, consisting of;

- "3PP isn't broken! WAAAAAH!"

- "3PP only gives you an advantage if no-one else uses it! Herp!"

- "Just remove 3PP! Derp"

- "Play on a different server!111internet"

For the last time, I'll cover each of the points, in turn, so that everyone can understand shit.

- "3PP isn't broken! WAAAAAH!"

This simply isn't true. 3PP allows the user to see over and around objects they otherwise wouldn't be able to see over/around. This is a demonstrable fact and is entirely redundant of any opinion on the matter and is also irrespective of whether you use the exploit to your advantage or not. In short, stop repeating this as an argument against changing 3PP, because it isn't a valid one.

- "3PP only gives you an advantage if no-one else uses it! Herp!"

Wrong! 3PP allows anyone using it to see over/around something and this is entirely irrespective of whether other players around you are using 3PP themselves or not.

- "Just remove 3PP! Derp"

Not a solution. Completely removing 3PP would alienate a large portion of the player base. Besides, the 3PP exploit (and it is a fucking exploit; See the first point) can be fixed without resorting to drastic measures like removing it entirely.

- "Play on a different server!111internet"

Not a solution. What if I play 1PP and my friend plays 3PP? Are you honestly suggesting we don't play together because the solution to fixing the 3PP exploit is to split the community? Behave yourself.

HAVE YOU ALL GOT THAT?

Good. Let's move on.

There are two viable solutions in this thread that remove the 3PP exploit without forcing any play style or perspective change on anyone. They are;

"Fourth Wall" - Hide players/zombies outside of 1PP view even when using 3PP

Change Camera Axis - Move the camera about the camera's axis rather than that of the player's head (Follow-up post 1 - Follow-up post 2)

What would be far more constructive for this thread would be if people could decide which they would prefer. Or is that too difficult, Internet?

EDIT: Fix borked links

Edited by Monkfish

The survivors in game are artificially unobservant, stiff, and nonfuctional.  The 3pp mitigates that, giving you some of the peeking effects you would have in real life.

Ok so 4th wall it is for 3rd person!

Great poll made a massive difference, fresh air much?

Well it means that you've changed your tune from being pro-exploit at least.

And it would appear that over half the current 3PP players are anti-exploit as well...so yeah, it's fresh air for me.

After having comments like "People vote when they join servers" "People have 1PP servers now, it's not a problem" Basically the argument by popularity for the pro-exploiters has just been well and truly sunk, which I think just leaves them with their argument by tradition "It's always been there" to which we simply reply "Slavery" and now they only have logical fallacies to fall back on.

Smells mountain fresh up here, you should see the view.

Nope I'm a realist. Won't happen and if it does it will stop your chewed up fingers typing utter crap on this.

Troll for a troll

Well it means that you've changed your tune from being pro-exploit at least.

And it would appear that over half the current 3PP players are anti-exploit as well...so yeah, it's fresh air for me.

After having comments like "People vote when they join servers" "People have 1PP servers now, it's not a problem" Basically the argument by popularity for the pro-exploiters has just been well and truly sunk, which I think just leaves them with their argument by tradition "It's always been there" to which we simply reply "Slavery" and now they only have logical fallacies to fall back on.

Smells mountain fresh up here, you should see the view.

what about fixing 1st person to not look like shit and make ppl sick when running.

• Like 1

Skinup:If you think I haven't got a valid point, by all means report me and try to get me banned. I think my points are pretty valid, you've just stuck your head in the sand and resorted to ad hominems by calling me a troll :D

Lauri: That'd be good too, but since almost 2/3 of the playerbase wants 3PP in the game, I think it's unrealistic to expect the devs to concentrate on 1PP to try and force that viewpoint upon them (which is sad news I know), it will be improved at some stage Im sure, but not whilst we have the other issues like rubberbanding and desync all over the place

Edited by phlOgistOn

Skinup:If you think I haven't got a valid point, by all means report me and try to get me banned. I think my points are pretty valid, you've just stuck your head in the sand and resorted to ad hominems by calling me a troll :D

Lauri: That'd be good too, but since almost 2/3 of the playerbase wants 3PP in the game, I think it's unrealistic to expect the devs to concentrate on 1PP to try and force that viewpoint upon them (which is sad news I know)

i mean i have totally no problem with 1st person in general but in dayz its just shit. i cant play like that and i have to use 3rd.

on one hand its unfair to look around corners but on the other hand all players are able to do it... so.. i dont now. i think the best would be a good 1st person and no 3rd

I, like others, prefer 1PP but have friends who dont, and also I find 3PP useful when NOT in combat for ease of movement and to check out that awesome ass and that cool outfit my character is wearing.

Therefore I voted for 1PP but would play 3PP if an option like fourth wall would be available.

My other suggestion to the fourth wall is fog of war. Darken the corners that one should not be able to see. In conjunction with fourth wall, because fouth wall alone is a bit confusing, from what i0've seen in the videos. You can see behind a corner and enemies either appear or not based on the angle of your character to that corner. But the camera (whats important in 3P perspective) is the same. Can really confuse and disorient. I believe would actually pose a disadvantage to 3PP only people vs 1P hardcorers in combat, as they would get confused a lot, and 1P would then exploit this confusion (involuntarily, though, as one would not be able to know if the other is confused). But just by playing 1P you d know you cant possibly get confused.

Fog of war would darken those corners so you'd know you cant actually see that portion of the screen unless you expose your character.

Also other limitations to 3rd person to discourage its use, in conjunction with these...

- total removal of crosshairs for any armed interactions. Only empty handed. To encourage the correct interaction with a weapon (eg, looking down the sights)

- reduction of field of view(?)

- interaction with the environment (if the engine allows it). Think for example Resident Evil 5 and 6 or Metal Gear Solid, etc. You can push against a wall/corner and automatically your character will adjust to it to sneakily peak over it. It helps with keeping concealement while trying to return fire or simply look over obstacles.

>>>> can be completely rendered obsolete by the Arma3 concealement system. Procedural adjustment of crouch and peak movements. Will allow you versatily in combat situations thus reducing the need for 3PP exploitation.

I cant think of anything else, right now.

Maybe even force 1PP when using weapons and vehicles, but sounds a bit harsh to me, even though i wouldnt have a problem with it. I could play in a 1PP only game entirely, but I do support the use of 3PP, so.... im happy both ways. As long as there is a server option for 1PP only. Which is the bottomline.

So, whatever happens in 3PP environment, as long as there are 1PP only server. Im happy.

bye!

• Like 1

Having servers with 3PP:ON/OFF is the perfect solution to the problem.

I only play on 3PP:OFF, and I don't care that other people play the game differently than how I do.. shock and horror.

THIS.

Sadly Fran, this results in over half the people on 3PP servers being unhappy with the exploit still.

Sadly Fran, this results in over half the people on 3PP servers being unhappy with the exploit still.

I think you maybe are overestimating the importance of your poll.

I think maybe you're underestimating it. Since you've already shown an ignorance with even spelling the word poll, I doubt your statistics education went very far. Please tell me exactly what 39 against 36 votes means to you as a layperson, this is just votes from people that currently play 3PP and is people saying they want it fixed against not wanting it fixed:

a - More want it fixed than don't?

b - Roughly the same amount want it fixed as don't?

c - Less want it fixed than don't?

Personally I'm siding with b at the moment.

Then add in the fact that we have another 23 players playing 1PP that want it fixed so they can play 3PP servers without worrying about it. It's now 62 votes against 36. Again, a, b or c?

This time I'm inclined to lean towards a.

Edited by phlOgistOn

Your poll only includes a very small percentage of the player base. There are more players who don't frequent this forum than do. There are more players on this forum that haven't participated in your poll, than have.

Useless poll is useless. 

• Like 1

It's very rare to have a sample size the same as the population size (although yes it has the benefit of 100% accuracy).

It's why I've given error margins and a percentage of confidence in my results in this post here (very early, only 100 sample size)

There's a whole field of mathematics dedicated to working out the accuracy and correlations between sample sizes and populations as a whole. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statistics

If you want to argue with techniques dating back to the 17th century, then go for it, I hope you win some kind of award for correcting all the fools and idiots that have tested these theories out and corroborated their accuracy.

Edited by phlOgistOn

3pp is the best and most enjoyable way to play, it improves tactical gameplay while maintaining a great pace.

It make's up for that real life awareness that 1pp lacks.

You can't peer around a corner without exposing half your head in 1pp, or peer out of a bush without exposing your entire body, simple things that you can comfortably do in real life.

3pp view just makes up for that lack of realistic vision and movement and awareness, I mean, simply navigating a cluttered room can be a hassle in 1pp, not very realistic.

You can't peer around a corner without exposing half your head in 1pp, or peer out of a bush without exposing your entire body, simple things that you can comfortably do in real life.

I'm sorry, what? Last time I checked, if I wanted to peer around a corner I had to poke my head out from behind it a bit because, you know, my eyes are in the middle of my head, not on the top of it, the side of it or on a stick 5ft behind it.

Some of the posts made on this forum seriously make me wonder if people have actually been outside.  :lol:

Edited by Monkfish
  • Like 3

Would you not turn your head to the side and peer round a corner instead of exposing your entire forehead?

I know I certainly would

[...] it improves tactical gameplay [...]

How exactly?

How exactly?

With greater awareness of your surroundings, you can tell when you are hidden, you can realistically see around objects that you should easily be able to see around in real life without majorly exposing yourself.

You can move more precisely, more stealthily, sticking to cover much more realistically.

• Like 1