Sign in to follow this  
desmond_hume

Dual Wielding

So, seeing the WIP photos of the new shotguns, i got to thinking.

How do people feel about dual wielding in the game? Think two sawed off shotguns, one in each hand! Maybe even let one hand/gun follow your headview, allowing you to practically shoot in two directions at once, i.e shooting behind you while running, or left/right coverfire.
Though i know this is not a practical decision (accuracy should be out the window, maybe a slower reload), we are not trained soldiers as we spawn on the coast, so someone finding to revolvers in a row would definitely wield both those badboys! the scarefactor alone is awesome! 

Also, it would actually be a viable tactic if you found yourself completely surrounded by a horde of zombies, and weren't carrying around a chainsaw.. Thoughts?

• Like 2

we owe it to ArmAs superb realism, that we cannot hold a can of soda and a chocolate bar at the same time. i hope it will be implemented down the road.

This is the second suggestion for this today. Please search more before posting.

EDIT: I'm sure i saw one of these threads earlier today but now i can't find it.

Edited by Dchil

No, just no.

action-movie-blazing-guns-in-all-directions or generally holding a separate item in each hand?

• Like 2

No, just no.

Go outside and give your head a wobble.

There's pretty much a blizzard going on outside at the moment, so i'd rather not, but opinion duely noted.

On regards to the Arma engine limitations i guess that i am maybe hoping for too much, but fuck it, someone has to hope for a cool hold-up situation where you can actually point your guns at two different people at once.

I could see dual-wielding certain weapons, but not all, you have to take things like item weight, or recoil from guns into account.

I could see it for things no bigger than Baseball bats when it comes to Melee, as axes are much heavier and would cause you to loose out on aiming a hit.

Low caliber handguns might be an idea, but definetly not the magnum lol...

But certain things would be sacrificed while dual-wielding such as, accuracy and some damage when it comes to melee weapons.

I am not 100% against your suggestion, but, I am not 100% with it either.

its 70F at night here. i mentioned dual wielding a year ago and got the whole Cod, BF3 blabla response. i have no problems but the accuracy should be utter crap and reloads take pretty much forever since your hand needs to be freed before holding a clip, and then reloading each gun..... did i mention accuracy?

Edited by RyanK
  • Like 1

As i said, accuracy should be out the window, a slower reload, and ofc the recoil should correspond to the firearm :)

I just don't see the point in only adding the best solution to a problem.. Holding two pistols/sawed-offs would be a last-ditch-imma-rambo-this-out effort that might as well fail, but it would most likely happen at some point, and i think to some would be a natural decision to make.
(after all, someone has to die in the apocalypse!)

What, I assumed this would be about pistols again... two shotguns? Two sawn off shotguns? 12 gauge? Just try that in real life and report back to us...

What, I assumed this would be about pistols again... two shotguns? Two sawn off shotguns? 12 gauge? Just try that in real life and report back to us...

"Damn, shouldn't have done that, now i'm back at the fucking coast!"

^ see? I want that in DayZ. - Not everything we attempt should be a success, or even a good idea for that matter.

This is not about shotguns explicitly, just dual wielding as put in the title. Shotguns and pistols were my examples.

Offhand objects - such as flashlights - would be okay, but two weapons? let's be serious for a minute.

Offhand objects - such as flashlights - would be okay, but two weapons? let's be serious for a minute.

Ok so I have two hands, both capable of holding a pistol.  Oh yeah, and I can shoot with either hand with rifles and single pistols.

Can I matrix through windows and kill 60 guys while flying through the air in slow motion?  No!

I don't think dual tracking of pistols at seperate targets would be viable engine wise, nor really a good thing to have in the game.  However an 'off hand' would be outstanding,

Pistols and flashlights at the same time? Yes!  Two pistols? OF COURSE!  Soda and candy?  Why not?

When it comes to dual pistols, the best way to implament that would be with an alternating draw from each pistol's magazine as you pull the trigger, which would essentially just make the pistol's a single weapon with two magazine's worth of ammo.  Accuracy penalties and the inability to use iron sights at all, as well as slower reload speed would compensate for the benefits of having more rounds at your disposal between reloads.

Think about it, an M4 can have 30 rounds of 5.56, or even 60 if you have the broken double stack.  Would letting a guy who finds x2 FNX pistols use them both at penalty so that he can fire off 30 rounds of .45 before reloading be all that OP?   I especially would find that awesome as I don't use rifles and only carry a sidearm and no melee weapon.  I am a friendly medic, and looking like i have no weapon keeps me from getting KoS.

reloads take pretty much forever since your hand needs to be freed before holding a clip

It is called a magazine unless you are talking about reloading a C96 pistol.

Moving on, I would want this to happen. I would want to see COD kids to try this and not be able to hit anything farther than 7 meters, waste ammo, open the inventory to reload manually, then fume about how it isn't like the cowadoodys, then lose a gunfight to someone using a proper shooing method with a single firearm. I say add it in becuase in SHTF there would be idiots that would try to apply things that they saw on TV and video games dispite their disadvantages and get wrecked.

• Like 3

I think the dual hand system is mandatory. You have 2 hand slots and u can put whatever u want there unless it needs 2 hands to hold (a rifle).

Sure lets add duel weilding, and then make  1-20 shots hits the target, of that all are flesh wounds.

No one besides movies and the random range fun will ever do this stupid crap, no soldiers, not speical forces.  In the shooting world this is equivelant to eating elephant poop for water.  Not only is it stupid and dangerous, but doesn't do much of anything for you. 

So yes in conclusion if you just gotta have haloween masks and duel weild make the person doing such dumb things shoot horribly, because unless this is practiced for trick shooting etc, your less dominant eye will naturally make you shoot like snot . 

Yeah - check out my post on 'Two Hands' - click on my signature link then find the topic.

Dual wielding is a distraction from the practical uses of two hands but would be possible.

Ehhhhhhh... Seems kinda pointless.

Find a friend and give him the extra gun instead. 

go outside and dual wield 2 sawn off shotguns, and let us know if your wrists break, this is stupid why does every game have to have this kind of garbage. this game is doomed and not by the developers by us as a community. hell lets add nukes and jet aircraft and hell we should be able to parachute out of a jet and shoot a guy from 1000m with 2 pistols and then do 3 backflips and land on our feet. i think i'm gonna puke

go outside and dual wield 2 sawn off shotguns, and let us know if your wrists break, this is stupid why does every game have to have this kind of garbage. this game is doomed and not by the developers by us as a community. hell lets add nukes and jet aircraft and hell we should be able to parachute out of a jet and shoot a guy from 1000m with 2 pistols and then do 3 backflips and land on our feet. i think i'm gonna puke

Hey, I think I saw that movie!

While it would look good, it's just a crappy cheap idea.

duel wielding shotguns is the dumbest thing ive ever herd, they would be unfireable. but i do like the idea of duel wielding handguns.

Dual weilding pistols only, and being able to carry 2 things in 2 hands like proper human beings.

Pistol+torch is mandatory imo

• Like 1