phoboss

Horses, the almost perfect "vehicle"

Horses  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be horses in DayZ Standalone?

• Yes, it would be great.
    • No, it is kind of pointless.
    • Maybe, it is half and half.

heck i'm fine with tricycle as long as its optimized and doesnt add another handful of bugs

Yeah forget horses I want a big wheel!

It would be fun to have horses but this post is akin to saying:

"Stop being so 20th century! We should all fly our rocket cars around! Imagine strapping in and flying to your destination! And you could take a chance and engage the afterburners now and then like in Top Gun!"

Stuff has to be created and written. This is the dayz standalone but let's be real. It's a port of the mod into an engine that the devs think they can work better with. That's why the mod and the standalone share so many bugs and characteristics.

Horses have been mentioned but if they can put bikes in next week and horses in six months from now, fine.

Also if the bikes could like.. Go uphill better than a hovercraft that would be peachy.

Edit: I've often taken umbrage with the cows and goats and so forth. Wouldn't the zombies swarm them? I guess in the dayz world, zombies don't eat anything non-human..

Edited by Disgraced
  • Like 1

I was thinking about it for a long time and it seems like a great idea

Instead of bikes the first vehicles should be horses with different attachments maybe

to increase its speed or maybe capacity

*ignore this post*

Edited by Ferenssi
  • Like 1

I was thinking about it for a long time and it seems like a great idea

Instead of bikes the first vehicles should be horses with different attachments maybe

to increase its speed or maybe capacity

I like the bikes idea, more Day Z related. 

Like... Seriously? You didn't even need to search. Just look at latest posts on the right side of the screen, there.

I feel like any domesticated horses would be long since eaten, shot, starved to death, de-hydrated to death, or something. Maybe finding one or two wild-ish ones up north would be cool. Either kill em for food or spend several hours trying to make it your bitch. I think bikes make more sense.

Horses would have fled or been eaten by zombies if out in a paddock, and ones in a barn or stable probably wouldn't have been fed. This is much lower priority than bicycles. If you want to play cowboy and ride horsies, go play Call of Juarez or something.

This was discussed at one of the early conferences. Rocket said it would be very difficult because they'd have to motion capture a horse. There is a software that would make it easier, but it is apparently prohibitively expensive. So, I wouldn't expect a horse before other vehicles, if it gets added at all.

Id love to see it attempted, but i have a feeling that people are going to like having an ATV over a horse, simply because you dont have to feed it.

So long as we can shoot the fuckers in the head while you're riding it and you plow head first into turf as the big beast rears up then drops on the ground and cans of pre cooked horse meat spill out if its slain carcass. Without something as gratifying as that - fuck horses, they're gay.

Edited by RaMoNsTeR
  • Like 2

So long as we can shoot the fuckers in the head while you're riding it and you plow head first into turf as the big beast rears up then drops on the ground and cans of pre cooked horse meat spill out if its slain carcass. Without something as gratifying as that - fuck horses, they're gay.

....What the fuck..?

... attachments? Like bionic horse legs or a hollow torso?

Seriously though, horses are pretty complicated, which is why they won't be the first. You have to sync up the animations more, deal with some AI, proper movement, health, and death.

Another one?

Horses are unlikely to happen before bikes.  For one, they'ed need to model a horse, then they'ed have to have it animated correctly.  Not to mention program it to behave right (IE not explode if it hit's a rock going too fast, this is not a Michael Bay film)  I've seen video of a horse someone modded into Arma2, it looked HORRIBLE.  A horse shaped bike that flips worse than ATVs on bridges.

And this isn't even dealing with all the 'realism' this would spit in the face of.  I highly doubt there'd be wild horses in Chenarus, there'd probably be a few horses around in barns assuming they didn't get killed by their infected owners.  IDK about you but the last time I rode a horse it was well trained horse used to strangers riding it and I had it's handlers right there to hold the reins and tell me what to do.  Can't just slap on a stetson hat and toss a saddle on random horses and play out your Rick Grimes fantasies.

Not against horses at all, just don't think we should say 'make horses the first 'vehicle' we add in rather than bicycles first that are almost done and fairly simple.

• Like 1

Ok horses, not a bad idea, i understand.
But wtf is a horse attachement? lol

Attachments for your horse, doh!

I want mine with laser guidance and autoreloader, please!

Horse isnt a perfect vehicle, you need to feed it, give it water, and what happens when the horse gets sick? Horse is a living being, it can get scared, run away etc.The only plus of a horse I can see is that its not as loud as a car.

Edited by So Sexy

Alright so recently I've been reading a lot, and hearing even more from friends about transportation issues. I do understand that this is a survival game, and the time consuming nature of running around to different areas is incredibly crucial. Otherwise it would be just like any other game.

I've been thinking of things other then cars that would demolish these complaints and after arriving on the obvious bicycle I thought about horses. If there were a saddle or a horses pad, and a bit for the mouth, you could try and break wild horses into allowing you to ride them. There should obviously be a bit of startle factor and they could run away for a bit. There are a couple of issues surrounding this i would imagine, and it would take some time to get the engine running right....

The first issue I see would be with hills.. Horses, at least to my knowledge can't just climb up the side of a mountain. So you should make them relatively flat land bound, or road bound. Obviously the horse could flip or something if you walk up to steep a way and fall, possibly die, break a leg, or just flee away. The mechanics of it falling down and such after a shot in stride may be a problem for the starts, but I don't think one or two animations would be to much to ask.

Let me know what ya'll think.

Ahemmm...

Use the search function.

• Like 1