Sign in to follow this  
marsmars

DayZ SA Equipment Guide: What Equipment you should be using to survive, and where to find it!

If i am wounded and my guy is wincing in pain, I have put alchol on my wounds and once i get the green "My wounds are cleaner" my guy has stopped wincing in pain eventhough it never said they were infected.  Unless it was coincidence I would say alcohol tincture is useful.

you need the symptoms guide:

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/159492-great-guide-for-new-players-tells-you-what-each-symptom-means-and-how-to-cure/?hl=symptoms

About the ballistic helmet, Green motorbike helmets are better if you ask me, it gives the same protection (I've tested protection of gear with friends) and it covers a much bigger part of your head.

Don't know about the ballistic helmet, but motorcycle helmet is usually ruined after one direct hit.

what about the mask? u need the gas mask.

Edited by Hero_Time

I was wearing a tactical vest and a ballistic helmet and a zombie hit me like five times and I didnt bleed (without those I bleed on first hit). Not sure if its the helmet that protected me or the vest or both?

the vest protect you. i Was shot and i had a vest and i didn't bleed

Alcohol tincture will also clean rags making them pristine, if they were made from less than pristine tops and shirts.

• Like 1

This isn't a 'Survival' equipment guide, it's a 'PvP' equipment guide. At least let's be honest about that!

To survive you need to defend your self. 

In this case, defending your self against other players.

Thus, 'Survival' equipment.

does the armour type gear have any protective value at all or it purely camo / costmetic ?

Also, I find the magnum pistol very accurate even at range and pretty worthy when you fit the 6 chamber quickloader attachment.

A note for Magnum, shotgun and double rifle users I've had a couple of people attack me (Defended myself of course) so I returned fire. The odd thing is that they always seem to have their speedloaders IN the magnum. And that was after only three shots, and it only had 3 left.

If you have speedloaders, keep them in your inventory and load your shotgun/magnum/double rifle with loose rounds at all times, that way you save your speedloaders for the extended fights where it will help you in the long run.

• Like 3

+1 ColdAvoral  Pointless to have speed loaders and or clips for what they are intended for I.E. having to reload manually reload from inventory. Also alcohol tinctures can repair ruined rags to pristine. 

the vest protect you. i Was shot and i had a vest and i didn't bleed

I'm pretty sure its the helmet to be honest, I've had countless vests ruined and been bleeding after 1-2 hits from a zombie, I tried the ballistic helmet out the other day and got snuck up on by a zombie while I was drinking water, hit me about 4 times before I could complete my action and get my axe out, no damage to me or my gear.

Does anyone know the protection stats on the tanker helmet? Anyone had it protect them more than no helmet or just a hat?

EDIT: Tanker helmet does not APPEAR to offer any additional protection, 1 hit from a zombie made me bleed enough to ruin my newly acquired TTsKO jacket >.<

Perhaps all the helmets are only supposed to protect against head trama? It seems like the ballistics helmets make you impervious to zombie attacks though, havent bled yet wearing one (except getting shot of course).

Edited by ljlee256

This...uhm..."guide" leaves out a great deal of good information.

Plus, lots of this is just common sense. 

See, I can make a guide too:

If a players shoots at you, shoot them in the face to kill them. 

- By Rags

The M4A1 is an assault rifle and is one of the most sought after item in the game. Look for it in Barracks. I found one twice in the Barracks of the Krasnostav Airstrip

Are you talking of the barracks up the hill in the forest or the aeroplane hangar on the airstrip?

Really i've been to this barracks a few times, but there was really not a single item. Maybe i just had bad luck, but i was confused, that there was really nothing, not even damaged or ruined stuff or things the players drop, when they find better gear. ;-)

Edited by dirrly

As a player with a few houndred hours in the game i can tell you the exact gear that you should look for and have:

Head: Gorka E Military Helmet (Visor is optional ofc.)

Feet: Military Boots (Black)

Arms: Green Armband

Hands: Black Working Gloves

Chest: Gorka E Military Uniform Jacket (or TTsKO Jacket)

Leggings: Gorka Military Pants (or TTsKO Pants)

Vest: Smersh Backpack with Vest Attached

Backpack: Hunting Backpack

Face: Gasmask

Primary: Black Firefighter's Axe

Secondary: M4A1 (M4 Buttstocks MP, M4 Handguard RIS, Weapon Flashlight(+9V battery), ACOG Optics/RV1 RVS Optics/M68 CompM2 Optics.

Thirdary: FNX45 (FNP45 MRD, Pistol Flashlight(+9V Battery), Pistol Suppressor.

Optional:

Weapons:

Fourthary: MP5-K (MP5 OEM Buttstock, MP5 Rail Handguard, Weapon Flashlight(+9V Battery), MP5 Compensator/Pistol Suppressor, ACOG Optics/RV1 RVS Optics/ M68 CompM2 Optics.

Fifthary: Magnum

Random useful items:

Protector Cases

Bandages

(If you have teammates) Blood bags or Saline

First Aid Kit

Ammo:

.357 if you have the magnum

.45ACP

.9mm if you have the MP5-K

5.56mm

Magazines:

30Rnd STANAG (Coupled)

10/20/30/40 Rnd Mags

CMAG

.357 Speedloader

15Rnd FNX45 Magazine

15Rnd MP5-K Magazine

30Rnd MP5-K Magazine

Hey guys, (and OP) all these lists are nice stuff to fight with, but not stuff to survive with - maybe you want to look cool?  but you don't need any of that stuff

To survive you need:

any kind of neutral color bandanna or radar hat, etc ..anything..

green raincoat

brown or green pants

stone knife

something neutral color to put on your your feet (like e.g. rubber wellingtons, workmen's boots, whatever)

some rags

OK - that's all you need to survive. that's the important stuff... now, if you want to live in comfort, also add:

+

any kind of backpack, find better as you go along, even red backpacks don't show up much if they are worn or damaged

anything good to hit zombies with (make your choice, whatever works for you)

anything to open cans with that is also multipurpose

anything to dig with

packet of pumpkin seeds

box of matches

As for firearms, scopes, ammo, and mil clothes: ya will find good weapons and clothing all over the place - you don't need to go to mil locations (ever)

- unless you specially like the game of fighting over automatic weapons  (that's a kind of mini-game, right?) -

You find pretty much everything lying around just anywhere, sooner or later

but 95% of this mil stuff you really don't need at all.

xx pilgrim

Edited by pilgrim
  • Like 1

First of all: this guide is very old, so things have changed a lot since Jan 2014.

I agree with pilgrim.

If surviving is your goal you don't need all this fancy military gear. Many players get the illusion of being safe when they run around in military gear and a M4.

Only yesterday my friend and I killed a fully geared player. I hit him once with an ice axe and my friend finished him with one shot from his blaze. The guy didn't even fire one shot from his "superior" weapon and his gorka outfit and smersh vest+ backpack didn't safe him. Neither did his 8 magazines full of ammo, ect...

Point is: all this great gear won't help you if you don't watch your back.

• Like 1

TTsKO shirt as the best top? Please. 

Gorka clothing offers better arguably better camouflage but is waterproof. I would take a green raincoat over a TTsKo jacket since it's about the best camouflaged item in the game and is also waterproof. The new green quilted top is also a contender since it is well colored. 

Black clothing is bad, also. Black enhances your profile, even at night, and definitely in grass. Browns and olive drabs are your best bet for that. Don't tell people to wear black clothing at night. That's just handing out bad advice. 

Also, I have said it before, and I shall say it again:

THE SAWED-OFF SHOTGUN IS THE BEST GUN IN THE GAME.

Sure, It's great to have an M4, but you're not going to get your hands on one. They are the exception, not the rule. But a double barreled shotgun is far more deadly at even medium ranges and both the weapon, the hacksaw, and the ammunition is plentiful. I've dropped players at thirty feet with a single shell from a sawed-off. Plus it's quick to reload.

No matter what you have on you, the sawed-off shotgun is the best secondary/primary weapon in the game. Learn it, use it, believe it. 

• Like 2

First of all: this guide is very old, so things have changed a lot since Jan 2014.

I agree with pilgrim.

If surviving is your goal you don't need all this fancy military gear. Many players get the illusion of being safe when they run around in military gear and a M4.

Only yesterday my friend and I killed a fully geared player. I hit him once with an ice axe and my friend finished him with one shot from his blaze. The guy didn't even fire one shot from his "superior" weapon and his gorka outfit and smersh vest+ backpack didn't safe him. Neither did his 8 magazines full of ammo, ect...

Point is: all this great gear won't help you if you don't watch your back.

Gorka clothing offers better arguably better camouflage but is waterproof. I would take a green raincoat over a TTsKo jacket since it's about the best camouflaged item in the game and is also waterproof. The new green quilted top is also a contender since it is well colored. 

Black clothing is bad, also. Black enhances your profile, even at night, and definitely in grass. Browns and olive drabs are your best bet for that. Don't tell people to wear black clothing at night. That's just handing out bad advice. 

Also, I have said it before, and I shall say it again:

THE SAWED-OFF SHOTGUN IS THE BEST GUN IN THE GAME.

Sure, It's great to have an M4, but you're not going to get your hands on one. They are the exception, not the rule. But a double barreled shotgun is far more deadly at even medium ranges and both the weapon, the hacksaw, and the ammunition is plentiful. I've dropped players at thirty feet with a single shell from a sawed-off. Plus it's quick to reload.

No matter what you have on you, the sawed-off shotgun is the best secondary/primary weapon in the game. Learn it, use it, believe it. 

Yep - I agree with too-easy things have changed, 'z true (beanz). In fact I think the stone knife has gone a bit too far

I would have liked it better if knives and anything for cutting meat or wood didn't wear down as fast .. and could be sharpened back to "worn" instead of only to "damaged"

- the stone knife is just too convenient (sorry - hey, but I always carry one now, you think I'm crazy?) I used to spend, sometimes, days looking for anything with a cutting edge

Rags is right too: also beanz

- and the shotgun is nice, at the moment Im carrying a standard shotgun on my back and a sawnoff in my backpack.. it's kind of quicker than reloading. + 1 box of ammo is good for a long while.

Also when I find one, I keep a Longhorn. You can really snipe with these things. No one expects them and they fit in your gear.

with a Longhorn, I can take a long shot at game then lurk around to see if anyone shows up to check the noise, then take a shot at them too.. heh

- otherwise just a revolver.... same thing, one box of bullets is all you need

When i find an Mozin I probably swap the standard shotgun for the Mozin (maybe I shouldnt do, but what the hell), specially If I have a Longhorn and a sawnoff. I don't understand why people want telescopic sites for Mosins.. (I put it on to carry it - takes up no space - but generally use the scope just to check out the distance)  - ya don't need them unless you want to stake out a barracks or a big-town street from a safe range (I don't go that way much.. just when I get a wild hair).. The sawnoff is the best gun for meeting people unexpectedly in buildings.(. lols..).. I use the "T" button to fire both barrels at once, and you dont have to aim a lot.. (more lols).. 

also carry something to dig with on your back, or an ice axe in your bag.. and there is stuff lying around all over the place to kill zombs with (silently, efficiently) .. so life is maybe too easy..

- easy life leads to carelessness (I hear you)

I plant just 3 melon seeds in the rain and sit out of sight waiting for them to grow.. dont need water or fertilizer..  cut up the spare melons to get more seeds - then I move on..

But seriously - Ive been the last 2 weekends on FULL servers.. 38/40.. and I haven't seen anyone yet... there are whole towns that are full of stuff, food, cloths, weapons.. you can tell someone has been through because there are no zombs.. they used to turn up after 5 mins if they weren't there already - or maybe the zombs are all off spawning in the populated areas?.. I aint seen a zomb or a player anywhere across the whole middle of the map.. must be a lot of fighting going on somewhere?

see ya around - in the treeline, somewhere sometime..

xx pilgrim

Edited by pilgrim
  • Like 1

But seriously - Ive been the last 2 weekends on FULL servers.. 38/40.. and I haven't seen anyone yet... there are whole towns that are full of stuff, food, cloths, weapons.. you can tell someone has been through because there are no zombs.. they used to turn up after 5 mins if they weren't there already - or maybe the zombs are all off spawning in the populated areas?.. I aint seen a zomb or a player anywhere across the whole middle of the map.. must be a lot of fighting going on somewhere?

xx pilgrim

Everybody is on the coast, because that's where everybody spawns. It's really that simple. There's no reason to leave the coast, that's where all the players and all the interaction is. 

I took a cruise down the coast in a VS3 that I found by the NWAF. I had, miraculously, a FULL tank of gas. I drove it up and down the coast and what I saw amazed me. I saw dozens and dozens of people, but not a single soul in my trip there, which took me through Vybor, Kabanino, Stary and Novy Sobor, Gorka, and Dubrovka. No a single soul anywhere there. But once you hit the coast...you see more people than you could imagine. Being able to cruise at that speed up and down the coast was really mindblowing. It really does show to you how poor the idea of coastal spawning is. It's easy to leave and head inland...but nothing happens inland. 

alcohol is important when wounds are infected, infected wounds are displayed by [sICK: I have infected wounds / My wounds are infected] - after hundreds of zombieattacks, shots to my body and broken legs - i never had infected wounds so far...guess its to be implemented.

Mosin: PU Scope & LRS & Bipod

M4: Acog & M68 CompM2 Optics, Buttstock MP, Handguard RIS, 2x 30Rnd STANAG (coupled), maybe a Bipod

If you run out of rags and use a sewing kit to stop bleeding, your wounds have a chance of getting infected.  

but not a single soul in my trip there, which took me through Vybor, Kabanino, Stary and Novy Sobor, Gorka, and Dubrovka. 

Just recently i was on my way to Gorka when i heard a VS3 coming up the street, when i saw it through the trees i jumped into the next ditch and waited until i couldnt hear it and when i was sure the area was clear i went on. So we are out there, but you might not see us.

When i see players carrying guns in their hands and/or full military gear i avoid them, that's just because i try to survive and surely no hunter-gatherer would need to carry to long firearms.

Me i'm happy with a Longhorn, 20 rounds of ammo, an axe, a stoneknife, raincoat, matches and since .53 a cookingpot. Tearing the Tshirt into rags is the first thing to do as a freshspawn anyway. Any backpack will do until i crafted the leather one and maybe the vest in addition.

Edited by Bruderlos

So we are out there, but you might not see us.

I never see you on foot, either. Until spawning is spread out and players on servers are increased, finding people out and about will be uncommon at best. Everything will be on the Coast. So all the work that Bohemia Interactive does to make things happen inland simply won't matter that much until those things are finished. No amount of new towns and cities can encourage people to leave the spawn area where all the other players are in respectable numbers.

I love it that we can craft clothes now.

So now I only need to find a rope, garden lime, rags, matches, a cooking pot and a leather sewing kit to survive. All of this stuff is very common atm. Anything else is optional.

As to not seeing anyone inland.

I feel quite safe inland and in the woods, but you can still meet people. I was somewhere in a small village not really watching my surroundings, when I left a house and a mosin bullet just misses me. A guy stood on the road aiming at me. Luckily he missed all his shots and I disappeard into the woods. (My bow was empty, otherwise I would have tried to sneak up on him.)

Edited by too-easy

Hmm? It was just the other day I wore a TTsKo jacket and it said I was getting wet/damp while raining.

Hmm? It was just the other day I wore a TTsKo jacket and it said I was getting wet/damp while raining.

That's because it's not waterproof.