Sign in to follow this  
crusader_111

Combat Logging - Massive Game Killer for DayZ

Well it seems there is no punishment for combat logging in DayZ yet. I know its in Alpha but I at least thought they would of copied over the old combat logging method until they fully redesigned it. Played about 3 hours, got decent gear watched a guy massacre 4 other guys went in to kill the bandit and the first shot I take, I miss and half a second after I take the shot his character stops moving and disappears. So it seems its alright for these epic douche bags to kill people at will when he/shes got the surprise/advantage but combat logs when it doesn't go in his/her favor. In my opinion a basic anti-combat logging system should be implemented ASAP above all else as it is ruining the game. Even the one one from the Mod would be perfect.  I also realise this is a time for testing not playing but if people are allowed to run around with weapons to kill other players then its a must.

• Like 7

So it seems its alright for these epic douche bags to kill people at will when he/shes got the surprise/advantage but combat logs when it doesn't go in his/her favor.

Many people think this is how game should be. They even adapted combat logging as their basic tactic.

Every time you even mention log out timers, you cause massive butthurt.

half of your post is acknowledging that at this point in development gamebreaking issues may persist and important features may be missing.

the other half is contradicting the first, by demanding instant fixes so you can -enjoy- the game, ignoring the fact that there is a set roadmap for a reason.

• Like 1

Its a must though, I mean I bet if I didn't leave immediately and log off he would have ghosted me and stole my 3 hours worth of pristine gear. I hate people like that and personally I wouldn't even give them a warning I would outright ban. You know its a douche thing to do and plainly a massive/unfair advantage thus you shouldn't do it but you did it anyway, that was your choice and would gladly ban people who did it. 

*You* - Is directed towards people that combat log, not you Frosti haha

• Like 1

half of your post is acknowledging that at this point in development gamebreaking issues may persist and important features may be missing.

the other half is contradicting the first, by demanding instant fixes so you can -enjoy- the game, ignoring the fact that there is a set roadmap for a reason.

This is classic reply, trying to delay implentation of log out timer.

Other classic replies are like:

"But what if I gotta take a shit when I play? I need to close game immidetly my shit can't wait for logout timer"

They should make it so if you build a camp you can instantly log out.... otherwise you have to wait like 2 mins.  30 seconds just isnt long enough.  People will still be able to take their pot shots and by the time the group they were shooting at is done taking cover and reorganizing from the chaos their 30 second timer would have expired. 

• Like 1

I think advancing play-ability i.e not dying to ghosting/combat logging assholes really helps in the whole 'testing' section and if it helps players to enjoy the game more and want to play/test more than in my eyes its a massive bonus. 

• Like 1

As a bandit i don't mind losing the body due to a combat logger or just some guy leaving cause i get the satisfaction of knowing i killed someone(btw the humanity thing in my picture mean i have -1 million humanity on dayz mod, Yes i've killed lots of people).  If someone is bleeding and they leave they're dead and will spawn on the coast. Combat loggers don't bother me much.

Killed a combat logger in the NWAF. Sniped at me for awhile from the other side of the last two aircraft hangers as i was running in there checking them. Couldn't see him with my M4, despite having an ACOG. Made it away from there, ran all the way around, past the tents. Luckily there was another guy for him to snipe and hold him attention and keep him firing so i could pinpoint his location. Found him up on the lookout platforms. Shot at him but couldn't get through the grating. He vanishes! WTF! I spent 15 minutes going through different high pop servers to find him. Gave up, went back to original server. Walked around corner.  Look who it is..... On the ground right in front of me. Pause for a second. Nah. Put all 60 rounds into him.

Edited by Thane
  • Like 1

Combat loggers should lose their character on the spot when they attempt to combat log when in combat mode, when they log back on any server they should be presented with a newspawn screen...it's that simple.

This is classic reply, trying to delay implentation of log out timer.

Other classic replies are like:

"But what if I gotta take a shit when I play? I need to close game immidetly my shit can't wait for logout timer"

you must have misunderstood me.

logout timer IS coming, and i embrace it. i, in fact, am in favor of a solution similar to EvE Online, with a 5 minute timer when engaged with environment (i.e. fired a shot or noticed by a zombie) and 15 minutes when engaged with a player, a solution which seems to create an outrage by many.

i just oppose the approach of "gief fix nao!", as balancing individual combat gameplay is not a priority atm. we have serious issues with server performance, synchronisation and world geometry, which have a much higher priority imo.

As a bandit i don't mind losing the body due to a combat logger or just some guy leaving cause i get the satisfaction of knowing i killed someone(btw the humanity thing in my picture mean i have -1 million humanity on dayz mod, Yes i've killed lots of people).  If someone is bleeding and they leave they're dead and will spawn on the coast. Combat loggers don't bother me much.

Part of my point is this guy/girl must of been at the ready to combat log, I didn't even hit him/her and they combat logged and I had a bolt action rifle and from what I saw he/she had a fully modified M4 which if he/she just turned around would of totally rinsed me but no, they took the cheap way out. Also if they get away with it and are able to ghost you then what...fuck it shit happens? No. How the games meant to be is a persistent world including the players in it. If they start ghosting everywhere and vanishing as soon as trouble arises DayZ will never become the game Dean wants and what we want.

From now on, my reply to threads like this will only be the following:

α

Edited by EchoZeero

whatever they decide to do ill find a way around it. In the mean time i only hop when ppl think its funny to try and KOS me.

whatever they decide to do ill find a way around it. In the mean time i only hop when ppl think its funny to try and KOS me.

Dying is part of the game, if they want to be a Bandit then so be it, what kind of Bandit is up to them but you should never justify combat logging with bad game mechanics, in any game no matter the reason.

How many topics of this are there...

Don't know. But same old tired crap from the same old posters. But don't worry, there'll be a few more posts exactly the same today, and tomorrow, and the next day,...

Combat logging actually encourages KOS, yesterday I tried to rob a guy and he just logs off.

Makes me want to shoot people on sight knowing they might log when I announce myself. Most of the time people will play along but just knowing that if they wanted too they could get away with no consequences bothers me.

You just need to sneak up on them and handcuff them from behind, then if they log they die, he he!

Edited by TEST_SUBJECT_83

You just need to sneak up on them and handcuff them from behind, then if they log they die, he he!

Me and my friend tend to ambush people heading north along the coast between towns so sneaking up on people can be difficult if they are paying attention to their surroundings. I usually hide near the road and my friend overwatches with a mosin with a long range scope.

I like robbing people, it feels more satisfying than just putting a bullet in them :D and if they are noobs I will usually help them out with some items and give them advice if they are nice enough and cooperate with me. 

But combat logging takes away the interaction between players, you can't make new friends in this game if people just log off when they see you.  :| It also can completely ruin the DayZ experience and take away from the game's atmosphere if people vanish into thin air in front of your eyes.

I just hope the next patch will come along soon and fix this.

• Like 1

Hi.

I'm not a combat logger, but really could care less about it.

It will be fixed soon enough, though I hope it isn't done in a way that punishes honest players who just want to log off because their done. i.e. If my daughter needs me I don't want to have to say 'wait 1/2 an hour' so I can spend 15 minutes running to some safe place and then another 15 so I can watch and make sure nobody stumbles upon me while the timer goes. I know my example is probably a bit over the top, but that's essentially what a log out timer will do.

Would prefer if it worked off of proximity to other players or something.

Regards.