Punkrawks

Found a server hopper in Balota [VIDEO]

I don't understand... he more than likely WASN'T a server hopper and logged or was kicked off under extenuating circumstances... as pointed out: why would ANYONE log off right in a prison?! Especially someone who makes a thing of server hopping? If they were any good at server hopping or put any strategic thought into it. They would go out a few tens of meters before logging off...

I've seen people log out in these buildings before.  I've sat there watching an airfield, 2 guys run into the building and never come out.  About 10 minutes later another guy runs up, into that same building, and runs out after being in it for about 5 minutes.  The original 2 guys never came out, and most likely someone would have shot someone else if those original 2 guys were there.  Server hoppers do log out in these buildings.  I've been in a hanger when all of a sudden a random guy logged in, right in the corner facing out.  The chances of that guy being right in the corner faceing away from the wall are minuscule.

Im relatively new.  Are you all saying that the point is to pick 1 server and stay on only that server for life basically?  How often are new items seeded into the game?  Slim pickins on some of these high pop servers

It's not wrong to switch from servers (with moments with lag being as regular as they are, would be annoying not to) but it is wrong to loot (for example) a Military camp, change server, loot the same camp on a new server, and repeat and repeat untill you've got all the gear you want.

Edited by Problematic
  • Like 1

Im relatively new.  Are you all saying that the point is to pick 1 server and stay on only that server for life basically?  How often are new items seeded into the game?  Slim pickins on some of these high pop servers

As someone else said, there are times that it's not bad to move to a different server.  Such as when you start in the same place multiple times and that place is completely picked clean as well as the surrounding towns, the server is lagged to all hell, the server happens to be the wrong version and you can't pick up loot/open doors, and a few other reasons like that.

• Like 1

Never log in mil buildings. Ever. It is that easy. Log in a mil building..kos ensues.

House struck by lightning ? Unlucky.

Grandma died right beside you ? Unlucky.

Dog ate your homework ? Unlucky.

• Like 2

BTW EVERYONE!!! He didn't KOS him. KOS by definition is kill on sight. He on the other hand handcuffed him, talked to him, deliberated to himself, and came to the conclusion the just and safest thing to do would be to kill him. That is not KOS, that is good DayZ player interaction. 

99% sure he is a server hopper is a high enough % for me. If he lost connection by accident a day ago he should have went to a zero pop server and got out of there.  If he forgot where he lost connection then he is just stupid and killing stupid people is good for this world. Kudos good sir.

• Like 1

I think it's funny how many people are trying to defend server hoppers.  This story is great, the server hopper gets what they deserve, death for being a douche.  The only legitimate reason to be logging in to that building is if the server you were on restarted.  Almost all of the current playerbase would never log out there unless they were server hopping.

As for me saying this is a good story, I think that's all it is.  The guy isn't cuffed in the video, when he starts talking shit about the guy server hopping general voice chat isn't lit up.  I mean, it might have happened the way he said, but I think it's him and his buddy goofing around.  IF he showed a little bit before and the guy was actually cuffed in the video I might believe it.

Anyways, server hoppers suck.

He is cuffed, notice the 'loot' icon when I hovered over him. The animation is broken and didn't show him cuffed for some reason. As for the voice chat, my icon comes/goes.. doesn't always light up, not sure why. He may have heard me, he may not have. Don't care, doesn't change the situation.

Kill bambis and people get upset saying to go for geared players. I develop a tactic to ambush them and people still get upset. Log out in a military building? Do so at your own risk. Server hopping or not you're an idiot if you can't run 50 feet into some bushes before logging.

So I get X hours/night to play. After Y days of hard-fought survivalism I arrive at Balota with some tasty gear. Time runs out for me and I have to log out.

So, basically what you're saying is I can never log into a server with a low population - even if it is the same server I logged out of - if you are playing and I logged out somewhere you figure is a hopper-spot? Because your automatic assumption is that I'm server hopping and you, being such a fine, upstanding hero, will KOS me. Even though every assumption you made about me is completely wrong...  Cool beans. Next time you log in and someone pops you in the head you can congratulate them on being such a fine person and killing a server-hopping bastard like yourself.

Wait - what's that you say? You weren't server-hopping? You were just logging in to an area someone assumed might, possibly, maybe frequented by server-hoppers on a low-pop server... at night... heavily geared. (Excuse me while I go and laugh - a lot).

So you're telling us, it's so good damn late, that you have time to loot Balota, but somehow haven't got time to spend 30-60 seconds on distancing yourself from the military base, before you log off?

So you want us to believe, than when you've had a good night's sleep or rushes back from whatever family emergency, that prompted you to eject yourself from your PC cockpit to hurry to a family member's death bed or rescue an old lady and her forty cats from the burning neighboring building, you want us accept your guarantee, that when you log back in to the prison building and you spawn right in front of us with your "Y-days hard-fought survivalism tasty gear" and see us, that you're not going to instantly fill our bodies with sixty rounds of prime 5.56mm ammunition, when you haven't even convinced us that you're not actually just another server hopper in the first place?

What we're saying is, if you're inside a highly competitive high yielding military loot building and someone longs into that building, you have only two options: You can die or you can kill. There are many good reasons for changing servers after extended play on one server, but if you're changing servers for loot and you just happen to be changing servers in a military building, firestation or school, you are by definition a loot farming server hopper.

People switching servers from inside military buildings aren't interested in making friends, they are interesting in getting endgame gear with as little effort as possible and will therefor without doubt, kill you on sight, unless you shoot them while they log in. 

However OP took a giant risk, handcuffed and spoke to the server hopper, before he correctly realized that he was wasting his words on a POS server hopper.

-If someone hits you in the face with a fireaxe, they are probably up to no good.

-If someone logs into a military building, they are most definitely a server hopper.

Edited by Dallas
  • Like 4

Excellent. I hope he got his lesson and he won't server hop again.  :)

He is cuffed, notice the 'loot' icon when I hovered over him. The animation is broken and didn't show him cuffed for some reason. As for the voice chat, my icon comes/goes.. doesn't always light up, not sure why. He may have heard me, he may not have. Don't care, doesn't change the situation.

Kill bambis and people get upset saying to go for geared players. I develop a tactic to ambush them and people still get upset. Log out in a military building? Do so at your own risk. Server hopping or not you're an idiot if you can't run 50 feet into some bushes before logging.

Well, guess I'm an asshole.  I just watched it again, so.... Sorry.  I should have watched for more than the animation, because we all do know it bugs out sometimes or ends up lagged.  So, GOOD KILL!, my good man.

Either way, BOO!  I don't care about server hoppers, since I've wtinessed too many people combat log (worse offense imo) for their to be so many innocents.  Everyone is so quick to denounce publicly anyone for hopping, ghosting, whatever, but in the heat of the situation, if you get sniped and they make you bleed, but you hide, I'd be willing to bet (not swear) that the majority would log, and bandage in peace in a low pop.  As for server hoppers, they are here.  You don't have to deal with it, you don't have to like it, you don't have to participate, but it's here.  I don't care much for it since I generally play on mid pop servers that get spikes close to 40 players, then drops again, then all military areas are suddenly stripped clean.  So ambush them, its fun.  Or don't, but keep it off the forums because you're boring.

But again, for this video, BOO!  I wish you would have cuffed him and been mean to him.  Even if he wasn't a hopper.  It's DayZ.  You learn to live with death.  (for all seriousness, I do the same thing at NEAF to practice sniping on mid-pop servers.  I get there by server hopping.  I still call it that when it's once and I don't do it for loot, right?)

EDIT:  I admit my hasty assumption was made purely out of bitterness for recently failing to kill a ghoster, and, in fact, falling victim to him.  And to clarify, I was being sarcastic about server hopping.  I change servers to find my clan, and thats it.

Edited by MuddyRaccoon

OP sounds pretty salty about the whole situation.. if u can't deal with the games non punishment for server hoppers, then maybe you shouldn't play the game in "alpha". lol 

Was camping Balota for server hoppers...

Lol. A guy who sits inside of the jailhouse all day waiting to kill people thinking he's better than the guy just logging in.

There have been moments when I lose connection to a server while looting places like this, and decide to just log into a different one to maybe have better chances of staying connected.

To think I could have been instantly ambushed by someone and labeled a "server hopper", yikes.

You don't know he was server hopping. Good chance he was, but unless you know he just logged off another server and hopped to that one, you are going on an assumption. What if he logged off right there 2 days ago and was coming back?

I have had to log off inside of a base before. Sometimes something happens IRL and you need to log off quickly and don;t have time to run outside to the trees.

That said,

Unless every piece of gear you have came from the same server without you logging off even 1 time, technically you are a server hopper yourself. With the way loot spawns right now, it is nearly impossible to gear up to the point of you or that guy you killed, without checking more than 1 server. I have 4 servers I frequent. I have no problem checking the same spot on all 4 servers to find what I need since I also normally spend time on all of those servers and contribute to the community and content by doing so. When loot mechanics are fixed and you can store loot and loot respawns without the server restarting, then you can get upset at hoppers, since there wont be a real need for it then.

Edited by BLFonsworth

it would have been better if he let him live but took all his weapons and good stuff and make him go back to the coast

You basically KOSed him. People should stop acting as you were some kind of a hero. You are a bandit like any other.

No, he is NOT a bandit, he is a murderer. There's a fucking giant difference.

Come on people, you need to understand the difference between basic banditry and straight out murder.

I've never seen so many grown men (I'm assuming here) piss and moan about a fictional video game. It is entertaining and sad to say the least.

As for the video, you could of at least talked to the dude in direct so we could hear his excuse. He wasn't going anywhere. Would have made the video enjoyable as well as somewhat believable. Something to think about next time.

I hope to see you in the countryside sometime in the future, I would slay you and your whole crew just for this shotty video alone. Not because I'm an asshole or a Bandit, because I watch DayZ vids for the thrill, skill, humor, and human connection. I got none of those from yours so after a very short deliberation, I would like nothing more then to find you, surgically blow your head off your shoulders, and wear your face as a mask as I roam the forests of Balota.

Thank You for your time...

Edited by knoCC
  • Like 1