SaviorSixx

Why is this game so addicting?

I bought this game 3 days ago, never played the mod, but own all of Arma 2.

Im in three days I've got 37 hours in game, and still haven't explored everything.  I've swam for 1 1/2 straight and died.  Had a fistfight with a spawn on my way to the boat, (lost).  Looted the NEAF on a night server heart pumping, gotten killed doing nothing numerous times, and killed by the server even more.

My point is, im on my seventh mebbe twelth life, and I cant seem to stop playing this game.  Why is it I play this game with all the bugs when I could go play some gloriously polished title like Cod, or ME3, or BF.  I need a doctor....

It's because this game is so drastically different from the current games.

Whereas you can go play a FPS game like BF or CoD, DayZ is more of a social experiment. The goal is not to kill everybody, but it gives you the option to do so. How many games can you list that give you a gun, but don't force you to shoot it. How many games can you list start you list make you ENJOY running? 

Change is good. DayZ is better!

• Like 2

Its a game like no other, its unique, player interaction rocks, and you get attached to your character :P

I bought this game 3 days ago, never played the mod, but own all of Arma 2.

Im in three days I've got 37 hours in game, and still haven't explored everything.  I've swam for 1 1/2 straight and died.  Had a fistfight with a spawn on my way to the boat, (lost).  Looted the NEAF on a night server heart pumping, gotten killed doing nothing numerous times, and killed by the server even more.

My point is, im on my seventh mebbe twelth life, and I cant seem to stop playing this game.  Why is it I play this game with all the bugs when I could go play some gloriously polished title like Cod, or ME3, or BF.  I need a doctor....

I find my time split between Dayz and Rust (Not advertising) after playing them you can see how different they both are, both have very strong points both are unfinished both have a good future ahead of them. Both have very promising premises, but once I got Dayz I found my self playing this more, I think it's that you feel a need to find that next can of food or rifle what ever it may be. You feel more attached to the player in this game then any other. Well that's my two cents for the night about to fall asleep, good night all. :D

Actually this game sucks. Played 40 hours for first few days and I'm done. Love the mod.

Edited by George Fatality

It's not addictive at this point. It's time consuming. 

Exactly, you want to keep coming back to finish basic tasks that take a long time (mostly tedious).  Once we get vehicles and all the dynamics I will probably consider it addicting instead of time consuming because you get more done and enjoy it more.

Does not mean it's not addictive, i'd say it's pretty much addictive. 200+ hours in.. :P

Edited by Wh1spY

I'd say it's pretty addictive. Why else would we keep returning to something that is so inherently flawed in its current form? Hell, it even runs like utter dogshit on my archaic machine, and yet I return in the hope that maybe it'll be a little better this time, maybe it won't lock up when I meet a bandit and maybe, just maybe, that axe swing will connect with a Zed before it tries tearing my eyes out.

DayZ is a time thief, but I don't mind. /addict.

• Like 1

I agree, it's addictive - I can see me getting tired of it at some stage - but that's the beauty of playing the Alpha - new content will come along relatively often, I'm just finishing my tour of towns on the map with my current character then I'll take a break until a new release comes out (maybe wait for vehicles) until then hone my gunning and axe skills - need to practise PvP which will keep me interested for a few more weeks. All Good :)

Its a game like no other, its unique, player interaction rocks, and you get attached to your character :P

Well... for about 1 or 2 hours, then he gets killed :D  (in my experience)

big highs, big lows. the emotional rollercoaster is captivating, like a good thriller.

its the sense of fear and the unknown, its the fact that you can get shot and not know who did it or get robbed or beaten handcuffed revived and force fed rotten fruit till you die. Its encountering other players and not knowing how the encounter will turn out. Its finding bandits and taking them all out, its reading the compass and road signs to orient yourself, its finding a gun for the first time and looking for all accompanying parts. Its just addictive, yeah theres not much to do at the moment but thats ok because all the neat stuff is still on its way. Travel and learn for now it will all help in the end and dont be afraid to die cause it will happen a lot.

• Like 1

I'd say it's pretty addictive. Why else would we keep returning to something that is so inherently flawed in its current form? Hell, it even runs like utter dogshit on my archaic machine, and yet I return in the hope that maybe it'll be a little better this time, maybe it won't lock up when I meet a bandit and maybe, just maybe, that axe swing will connect with a Zed before it tries tearing my eyes out.

DayZ is a time thief, but I don't mind. /addict.

Monkeys can be trained to push a button in order to get a treat. Sound familiar? ;)

It's because this game is so drastically different from the current games.

Whereas you can go play a FPS game like BF or CoD, DayZ is more of a social experiment. The goal is not to kill everybody, but it gives you the option to do so. How many games can you list that give you a gun, but don't force you to shoot it. How many games can you list start you list make you ENJOY running? 

Change is good. DayZ is better!

you hit it right on the head, i keep having people at work wanting me to play other games with them and stuff i keep telling them sorry i'm addicted to dayz right now, hell i was playing the elder scrolls online beta(which is a game i've been waiting on since it was announced) and i found myself wanting to play dayz wondering how my friends were doing if they were alive or dead or needed my help. they say this game has no features but as i said above. iwas on a game with a lot of content. and found myself wanting to get back to chenarus..

Actually this game sucks. Played 40 hours for first few days and I'm done. Love the mod.

what sucks about it. thats pretty vague. could you give an example. dsync,content,ladders,etc  cause just saying something sucks doesn't really say much.