Sign in to follow this  
infiltrator

I never played the original, why is there 3rd person?

Hello. I'm on the fence regarding this game, but one thing that keeps bugging me is the 3rd person view. I was looking at how other people play on their streams and it's so damn annoying watching everyone peak around corners with zero risk, or looking through windows without exposing yourself.. I heard there are servers which have this disabled, but I also heard they are extremely unpopulated. So my question is, is something going to be done or the game is meant to be exploited this way?

Thanks

• Like 3

I honestly dont care i like 3rd person being i come from games like the original Silent Hill and Resident Evil games. This mode suits me fine for play.

Third-person view is a feature of the game. Look for servers with "3DP:OFF" in the title.

• Like 3

Third-person view is a feature of the game. Look for servers with "3DP:OFF" in the title.

I still have to get the game, and I said that I am aware such option exists but people have told me no one uses it in comparison to default settings (default is TPV ON).

Hey! :)

There are plenty of people who play on First Person Perspective ONLY servers. You can easily find 40/40 servers :) No need to worry!  :)

• Like 4

1 person servers have became much more populer in the SA

in the mod if you turned headbob off it was never really off and was BAD

there have been meny complaints about seasickness, strained eyes and migranie (I got the last)

but since the SA has a new skeleton headbob can be turned OFF (thats why the head when you move you're head is strangly still, to stop this)

I think it is time that a new sulution could be looked at but it is not really needed

go and play on a 1st person only server (3DP:OFF)

Edited by King Tubbs
  • Like 2

I always thought the headbob was fine in the mod, it was the narrow FOV that I wasn't a fan of.

I'm quite limited on the number of servers that I can connect to while maintaining a reasonable ping so I haven't been able to find any 3DP:OFF servers to play on, but I'm sure if you'll be able to find one if you're in a more agreeable area.

• Like 1

Headbob is practically off if you turned it off...the rest is in the users head. If you think it's still in there you won't get it out no matter what. And head bob is a natural part of body movement and it might be a bit exxagerated in some games, although it also causes a bit of nausea on my side complaining about it one one hand and wanting super authenticism on the other hand is quite...weird?

I'm trying to wrap my head around this and it doesn't really make sense.. for a game that tries to be authentic and atmospheric.. 3rd person is something that completely kills that aspect. I mean how engaging is to look without risk around corners or through windows?

• Like 7

My advice if you want to play 1st person is don't go to the Dark Side and give 3rd person a go - you will never come back.

Whether or not 3DP should be removed has been debated many times and it's a topic that both sides are quite vocal about, the devs decided to leave it in place so there is the option to play without it if you don't like it.

I have read some of those. I dont think that "join a 1st person view server" is the solution. What if my friends don't want that, what if some want and some don't? This is a segregation of the playerbase, it should be unified, not split.

The thing is, everyone who likes 3rd person arguments their reasons to "I like it", while ignoring the facts that it's completely unfair to just look at people without fear of being spotted yourself.

• Like 5

I unfortunately cannot play DayZ in first person for more than 15 minutes without felling sick. It is truly a major bummer.

The thing is I am not alone 7 out of my 10 friends who played the mod had the same issue. We wanted to play 1st person servers but simply could not.

We are all waiting to see what happens with the 1st or 3rd person decisions as we will not be able to buy the game if it goes 1st person.

I would be seriously sad after waiting this long only to find we cannot play it.

Hello. I'm on the fence regarding this game, but one thing that keeps bugging me is the 3rd person view. I was looking at how other people play on their streams and it's so damn annoying watching everyone peak around corners with zero risk, or looking through windows without exposing yourself.. I heard there are servers which have this disabled, but I also heard they are extremely unpopulated. So my question is, is something going to be done or the game is meant to be exploited this way?

Thanks

Here we go again!

If you don't like it, don't use it. If you don't like watching other people use it, don't watch them. Go, enjoy yourself on those 1PP servers all you want. Yes they are unpopulated. I wonder why? Oh, that's right. Because for all the talk from hardmen such as yourself, noone actully wants to play DayZ in 1PP.

1PP/3PP: I don't really care. I switch depending what I'm doing in-game. It's there. It's a feature. It's not a bug or an 'exploit' as you state. We have gone over this more times than I can remember. It's going to be tweaked a little, maybe, but it isn't going away. Now let's move on.

• Like 2

I used to be a big fan of 3rd person view throughout the entire mod and part of DayZ, but my friends and I decided to go with 1st person only servers. Haven't gone back to 3rd, and we haven't really had many troubles finding at least medium population servers. We switch between Australian & U.S. servers, and each time we play there's usually a couple full ones from each country, then there is a few more with usually have 20 - 30. Apart from that I can't say much in terms of other countries...

I can understand your frustration, from time to time I open up a youtube video and when I see them playing in third person, half the time I'll just close out of the video right then and there. :P Personally, I think the 1st person part of the community is large enough to not always be lacking in well sized servers, and I've noticed a lot of people are trying it out only to find they enjoy it like I did. The mod was different in terms of this, where first person servers were almost completely vacant and you'd get lucky occasionally and get one.

As for why it's in DayZ, that's the dev's decision so I can't say anything about that.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Sab
  • Like 3

I have read some of those. I dont think that "join a 1st person view server" is the solution. What if my friends don't want that, what if some want and some don't? This is a segregation of the playerbase, it should be unified, not split.

The thing is, everyone who likes 3rd person arguments their reasons to "I like it", while ignoring the facts that it's completely unfair to just look at people without fear of being spotted yourself.

So whats the solution then? if you remove 3PP it does the same thing as having separate servers as people that don't like 1PP simply won't play (and so they shouldn't it's always been part of the game and they have a right to play the way they like which is part of the games mechanics) thus it's the same result as separate servers.

There is no issue people making drama over nothing as there is a solution already it might not be perfect but neither is life so live with it and move on ;)

• Like 1

people play 3person only for advantage of view. Period. Ah I'm pinned down - what do - ah use my 3rd person to look around and spot the damn camper who made me prone to the ground!! 

Edited by sYs

My advice if you want to play 1st person is don't go to the Dark Side and give 3rd person a go - you will never come back.

is like smoking or gambling thing :huh:

but is possible break free from this addicting habit same like crack 90% are too weak to stop

but I was stop no problem B)

I play dayz mod use 3rd person in early days :|

then one time I going on 1st person only server BY ACCIDENT and I play for 2 hour there

increase of immersion extra tension feel like I AM CHARACTER experience was incredible thing like religious experience for me

also realise other player having NO ESP POWERS and if they see me is possible for me see them also :)

everything was change after :D

I never going back to 3rd person since

I am like ex drug addict I taking every day as it coming

why 3rd person exist?

who know? :huh:

for me too is crazy feature destroy many aspects of game and also is punish guys who try to play in tactical way :|

is make dayz more arcade feel for me

I say before this on different topic

they should make pre release alpha 1st person only ;)

force guys to try this and wait till they fix 3rd person exploits if this is plan rocket saying

after is fix put in game same like they doing with vehicles :|

Edited by KoS
  • Like 7

Thanks

It was originally a key feature in the arma series that was still enabled in the DayZ mod.

And since there are obvious advantages using it (as you mentioned) people continued using it either because they liked it or (like me) they didn't want the 3person-guys to get the upper hand.

And since people got used to it, they're not very willing to part with it (I think Rocket suggested once that he was thinking of getting rid of it entirely but I think he realized that people were to fond of it).

Anyway, if you (like me) wanna play 1person, just join the right server. There might not be as many, but I can promise you that there are enough to have fun :)

• Like 4

type the word off in your server host filter.

You may get the odd dumb ass server that's called "The Official DayZ server of Awesomeness 24/7day 10min restarts no PvP 3PP:ON" ran by 12 year olds but the rest will be 1st person only.

Edited by BL1P

It was originally a key feature in the arma series that was still enabled in the DayZ mod.

And since there are obvious advantages using it (as you mentioned) people continued using it either because they liked it or (like me) they didn't want the 3person-guys to get the upper hand.

And since people got used to it, they're not very willing to part with it (I think Rocket suggested once that he was thinking of getting rid of it entirely but I think he realized that people were to fond of it).

Anyway, if you (like me) wanna play 1person, just join the right server. There might not be as many, but I can promise you that there are enough to have fun :)

But it should not be like that. I get that people use 3rd person view for battling motion sickness, and to get different loot and stuff. But if your using 3rd person view to look over walls and stuff, you have completely misunderstood the game.

I rarely use 3rd person, and I would never use it to gain advantage over an enemy. To me its as disgraceful as combat logging and server hopping. But as a lot of people are doing that as well, it's no surprise a lot of you still use 3rd person for the glitching. And then you go and flame to people that find it annoying.

Turn off the 3rd person look over the wall glitch, and I'll bet 80% will stop using it.

• Like 1

people play 3person only for advantage of view. Period. Ah I'm pinned down - what do - ah use my 3rd person to look around and spot the damn camper who made me prone to the ground!! 

I don't PvP. I use 3PP when I feel like it. Sue me!

I fail to see how that gives me an advantage over you. We're never going to be in any sort of situation where it is relevant.

its like saying why counter strike is 1st person ? and why tomb rider is 3rd? huh? devs made game like this ! so dont be an arsehole