gamerer

"Friendlies" are just a bunch of lamers

It takes moral courage to do our work. 

"courage" and 'cowardice" don't ordinarily apply to video games, you know. 

But in this case, moral courage does. 

The life we save could be yours. 

You have my beans again as i have to admire you sticking to your guns in what i actually find an interesting piece of role playing ( you are roll playing right all jokes aside all me bating you into coming for a fight in game aside you are joking arent you ?? please say your joking)

Kid's want to try to kill me on sight? I welcome it, and i will personally thank you, if you take me down. Nothing makes my day, like logging in, and having something to do. See, you big e-star kos'ers down on the coast are on you're last legs. You have nothing to do. Kill me, and i get to explore, loot, build up, yadda yadda.

In fact, thank you in advance.

As someone who plays dayz for the thrill of pvp I can say I hate KoS as much as the next guy.

For me it's about competition. I want to compete with a worthy opponent. Not kill fresh spawns in elektro. For me that is just griefing which is basically like bullying. I'm sorry but it's true. I can understand people who are afraid to lose their gear, and because of that kill other players that are a threat to them. But if a fresh spawn with an axe is a threat for you, you should play hello kitty island.

Like I said I'm all about pvp, but if they can't put up a fight, you're just out ruining someone else's experience. And if that's your idea of fun, you should seek help. Because you're just like the kid in high school who likes to pick on the smaller kids.

• Like 1

There is not a single reason not to be KOS. The majority of the people you meet will KOS. If they miss you, they are bad and deserve to be killed by the likes of you. If they don't miss you, you'll be the one to make a new character.

Prove me wrong.

Sadly that is the state of the game right now. It is a PvP all the way, no PvE whatsoever which makes me sad. It's like watching The Governor vs Rick all 4 seasons. I hope we get something different.

Skill in DayZ, lol

A DayZ player that is superior to another DayZ player possess more skill than said inferior player.

Prove me wrong.

• Like 2

A DayZ player that is superior to another DayZ player possess more skill than said inferior player.

Prove me wrong.

I can prove you wrong!

"a player that is superior to another DayZ player" is just another way of writing "a player who possesses more skill than said [sic] inferior player" 

So, what you're saying is

"a player who possesses more skill than another dayz player has more skill than the other player" 

A hidden tautology, not an argument for any position or fact. Doesn't speak at all to whether there is such a thing as "skill" in DayZ. 

It may be true that people can be more skilled than others at playing DayZ, but what you wrote doesn't support the idea. 

Edited by HCHellCaptain
  • Like 1

Prove me wrong.

Please do tell me, what makes someone a good DayZ player?

skill and confidence and calmness in pressure situations ;)

Edited by KoS

skill and confidence and calmness in pressure situations ;)

No really, tell me, what makes someone a skilled player in dayz? People throw the word skill around, I really don't understand what it means in the context of dayz

And I suppose confidence and calmness are lost for the 99% of the playerbase because nearly everytime I've played with someone and they encounter a survivor with a pistol, they start shaking from adrenaline and spew out tacticoolness with a scared voice as if it's a real combat scenario against an actual threat. Also, the forum stories and the jewtube are filled with videos of scared people shaking up while shooting, at first I thought they were joking but I can't but to think they were actually being serious

"T-t-tango down"

Edited by Sinfulsebastian

The same thing that makes someone a good CoD/BF/MMOs/MOBA player. Knowledge of mechanics and how they work, how to make the most of mechanics, how to react to certain situations, etc. Some general stuff like aim, confidence, reaction times, etc.

I mean really do you think everyone is the same?. I know personally in cqc I'll beat most people since I spent a good 2 years playing FPS competitively.  

On topic:

KOS down south is sad bandits who need to get skill because clearly they think there skill (1st part) is below others so they need to fight un-armed people, KOS up north imo is fine unless you get the jump on someone else, then you hold them and steal there shit.

Edited by HighPiez

I can prove you wrong!

"a player that is superior to another DayZ player" is just another way of writing "a player who possesses more skill than said [sic] inferior player" 

So, what you're saying is

"a player who possesses more skill than another dayz player has more skill than the other player" 

A hidden tautology, not an argument for any position or fact. Doesn't speak at all to whether there is such a thing as "skill" in DayZ. 

It may be true that people can be more skilled than others at playing DayZ, but what you wrote doesn't support the idea. 

"A player that is superior to another DayZ player" can only be a re-wording of (or the same as) "a player who possesses more skill than said inferior player" if being superior and possessing more skill are the same thing. Therefore, if what you claim to be is correct, skill does indeed exist in DayZ, for players that are superior to other players do exist. 

So. If you are right in what you say, skill does indeed exist; thus, my point is also correct (and as a result I too am right, obviously ). So unfortunately, you have contradicted yourself.

Regardless, however, you did understand that my statement supported the idea that skill in DayZ exists (if you did not, you would not be attempting to prove me wrong or you would not understand what exactly my original comment supported), but you have not yet proven me wrong.

I asked you to prove me wrong, not respond in questions. 

Let us take to the dictionary definition (if you wish to debate the definition of the word, be my guest but it will prove pointless) of (the noun) "skill":

The ability to do something well; expertise.

Now then. Take accuracy (with firearms) in-game as an example. If someone is accurate, then they are doing something (something being the act of aiming/firing or whatever terminolog(ies)y you wish to associate with accuracy) well. Please, now, refer back to the dictionary definition of the word "skill". This can be applied to any act or ability, one might say, in-game that a player can perform or be good at (do something well).

Therefore, skill does indeed exist in DayZ. 

Edited by Inception.
  • Like 1

No really, tell me, what makes someone a skilled player in dayz? People throw the word skill around, I really don't understand what it means in the context of dayz

And I suppose confidence and calmness are lost for the 99% of the playerbase because nearly everytime I've played with someone and they encounter a survivor with a pistol, they start shaking from adrenaline and spew out tacticoolness with a scared voice as if it's a real combat scenario against an actual threat. Also, the forum stories and the jewtube are filled with videos of scared people shaking up while shooting, at first I thought they were joking but I can't but to think they were actually being serious

"T-t-tango down"

I make better reply here

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/164594-my-system-for-play-dayz-best-i-can/#entry1663186

What makes a skilled dayz player?

An example

Grab a guy off the street who has never played dayz, make him sit down and give him a sniper rifle (in game)

This guy must have no knowledge of the game or it's mechanics

Give another guy who has played the mod and then standalone since it came out, give him the same loadout

Place them a set distance apart with various cover Ect, and make them fight

The guy who had played the game the most is probably gonna win, he's used he gun before, can judge the distance Better (a skill) and knows how much kick and how fast each shot will be

I gurrantee the guy off the street will die without hitting the other guy as he's no SKIlLL using the weapon

Let us take to the dictionary definition (if you wish to debate the definition of the word, be my guest but it will prove pointless) of (the noun) "skill":

Now then. Take accuracy (with firearms) in-game as an example. If someone is accurate, then they are doing something (something being the act of aiming/firing or whatever terminolog(ies)y you wish to associate with accuracy) well. Please, now, refer back to the dictionary definition of the word "skill". This can be applied to any act or ability, one might say, in-game that a player can perform or be good at (do something well).

Therefore, skill does indeed exist in DayZ. 

Things like accuracy are non-existent in the game, the weapons are pretty inaccurate and things like luck play a much higher factor in the game rather than aim. Refer to dispersion with the current in-game weapons

If it's a skill to do "well" in dayz, eg. getting items and staying alive, any shuffling retard can get a full kit at the 1-2 hour mark and head north to live out their days in complete solitude. I've died 4 times in the SA and after each time I've either just walked/crept up to someone with stuff, knocked them unconscious and taken their kit or ran to elektro/cherno and checked up the sniper hills or tall buildings for corpses. This way you'll get a full kit in 20 minutes, saving precious time that I can use now to miss people with the sniper rifle because it's so inaccurate

There is literally no learning curve in the game apart from learningwhere you can find stuff, how to zero weapons and use the inventory system. After getting your fully upgraded m4 or mosin with lsr and bipod, it's either going to coast and KOS everyone, OR, FOR ADDED CHALLENGE, handcuff people and take off their pants

Ergo, if there's any skill in DayZ, the learning curve is minimal and everybody gets the hang of it in an hour or so

What makes a skilled dayz player?

An example

Grab a guy off the street who has never played dayz, make him sit down and give him a sniper rifle (in game)

This guy must have no knowledge of the game or it's mechanics

Give another guy who has played the mod and then standalone since it came out, give him the same loadout

Place them a set distance apart with various cover Ect, and make them fight

The guy who had played the game the most is probably gonna win, he's used he gun before, can judge the distance Better (a skill) and knows how much kick and how fast each shot will be

I gurrantee the guy off the street will die without hitting the other guy as he's no SKIlLL using the weapon

Except the things you mentioned take very little time to learn

The same thing that makes someone a good CoD/BF/MMOs/MOBA player. Knowledge of mechanics and how they work, how to make the most of mechanics, how to react to certain situations, etc. Some general stuff like aim, confidence, reaction times, etc.

I mean really do you think everyone is the same?. I know personally in cqc I'll beat most people since I spent a good 2 years playing FPS competitively.  

On topic:

KOS down south is sad bandits who need to get skill because clearly they think there skill (1st part) is below others so they need to fight un-armed people, KOS up north imo is fine unless you get the jump on someone else, then you hold them and steal there shit.

I play FPS competitively as well, it's just that aim really doesn't seem play much part in the game, unless it's really close up because the guns fire pretty random once the distance is increased. I suppose things like reaction times and such do count, but my original point still kind of hovers around the "DayZ takes very little skill to play"

Edited by Sinfulsebastian

Things like accuracy are non-existent in the game, the weapons are pretty inaccurate and things like luck play a much higher factor in the game rather than aim. Refer to dispersion with the current in-game weapons

If it's a skill to do "well" in dayz, eg. getting items and staying alive, any shuffling retard can get a full kit at the 1-2 hour mark and head north to live out their days in complete solitude. I've died 4 times in the SA and after each time I've either just walked/crept up to someone with stuff, knocked them unconscious and taken their kit or ran to elektro/cherno and checked up the sniper hills or tall buildings for corpses. This way you'll get a full kit in 20 minutes, saving precious time that I can use now to miss people with the sniper rifle because it's so inaccurate

There is literally no learning curve in the game apart from learningwhere you can find stuff, how to zero weapons and use the inventory system. After getting your fully upgraded m4 or mosin with lsr and bipod, it's either going to coast and KOS everyone, OR, FOR ADDED CHALLENGE, handcuff people and take off their pants

Ergo, if there's any skill in DayZ, the learning curve is minimal and everybody gets the hang of it in an hour or so

Accuracy is dependent upon what is available in-game -- one can still be accurate, or more accurate. 

--

A learning curve, regardless of the size of its gradient, does indeed exist and so skill, as you indirectly said, exists. 

Accuracy is dependent upon what is available in-game -- one can still be accurate, or more accurate. 

--

A learning curve, regardless of the size of its gradient, does indeed exist and so skill, as you indirectly said, exists. 

The learning curve is abysmally small and not even worth mentioning

Also, I've played multiple fpses around med/high level, so I do know what accuracy is. The fact that I've got everything right in the game (using a bipod, not out of breath, yaddayaddayadda basics) and still miss tells me I mind as well go and play lottery, because it's as much luck related. I never had a problem with accuracy in the original mod (or with any other fps for that matter), it's just when the game decides to introduce factors that boil down to RNGesus instead of raw player ability, makes one kind of violated

Again, the game is more about random numbers and a very small learning curve rather than things like skill

The learning curve is abysmally small and not even worth mentioning

Also, I've played multiple fpses around med/high level, so I do know what accuracy is. The fact that I've got everything right in the game (using a bipod, not out of breath, yaddayaddayadda basics) and still miss tells me I mind as well go and play lottery, because it's as much luck related. I never had a problem with accuracy in the original mod (or with any other fps for that matter), it's just when the game decides to introduce factors that boil down to RNGesus instead of raw player ability, makes one kind of violated

Again, the game is more about random numbers and a very small learning curve rather than things like skill

Skill does exist, though. 

• Like 1

if i wanted to play a FPS and bask in the glory of my skill, i'd play q3a/cs/warsow or CoD2 S&D..

DayZ offers a completely different experience.. if you dont see it, you lack imagination and comprehension.. if you see it and dont enjoy it, this game is probably not for you..

The person who plays the game they want is the one who plays it the right way.

DayZ is a sandbox game. All playstyles are good, because nobody can define which ones are good and which ones are bad. Also, there isn't just a 'friendly' or a 'KOS bandit' playstyle. People are more complex than that. Everyone plays the game their own way, and more often than not don't fall in such a simple category.

Again, all playstyles are 'skilled', because nobody can define overall game skill. As inception said, though, you can measure skill in specific tasks, e.g. aiming.

No playstyles are 'lame' because they aren't for the people that play them. What I mean is that you may think sniping people from elektro sniper hill is badass, while others think sitting on a hill for hours is 'lame' and sniping doesn't take skill.

'skill' and how playstyles are 'lame' or interesting is just your personal opinion.

And just to prove you wrong - let's think of the following situation: You are fully geared with an M4 in your hands, a mosin on your back, tons of ammo, all that good stuff. You are at the coast for whatever reason and you see a freshspawn. You know the range, and you can kill him very easily. What do you do?

Option one: BOOM. headshot. He's dead. He poses no threat to you any more, and he never really did.

Option two: 'hey, freshspawn! Yes, you in the white T-shirt! are you friendly?' You alert him of your position, you talk to him. 'Oh, hey mate! Yeah, I'm friendly.' 'Oh, that's cool! hey, wanna have a revolver with bullets?' 'yeah, sure!' so you give him the revolver. He could now easily kill you. You put yourself at risk. Will he kill you? Will he team up? I'd say that's a lot more intense and also a lot more brave than just killing everyone you see.

However, that's just my opinion, because option two is my playstyle. You may find option one cooler and less 'lame'. And that's fine! nobody can decide what playstyle is cool or lame except you. Feel free to make your choice, but please don't say your opinion on a playstyle is 'true'. Because everyone has their own opinion.

TL;DR a 'lame' playstyle is a playstyle that isn't fun. However, the feeling of fun is something that varies with every individual and thus there can't be a generally 'lame' playstyle.

Oh, and by the way, it doesn't matter how much 'skill' dayZ takes. Even if the learning curve was just minimal, it exists.

Edited by Firewarrior64
  • Like 1

if i wanted to play a FPS and bask in the glory of my skill, i'd play q3a/cs/warsow or CoD2 S&D..

DayZ offers a completely different experience.. if you dont see it, you lack imagination and comprehension.. if you see it and dont enjoy it, this game is probably not for you..

Wrong. I shoot anything that might retaliate against me, and Ive been having fun since june 2012.

Why can't the question be: Where's the harm in 'NOT' KOS while it's in Alpha?

Surely there is more excitement to be had by announcing yourself first and seeing how the event unfolds. If it does end in a gun battle, and you win, won't that be more exhilarating?

After all, what's the worst that can happen? You lose your stuff and have to spend an hour or two before you're fully re-kitted out again?

I once had lots of lovely pristine gear that I hoarded, until a server reset my character back to the coast with just a will to survive and a flashlight.

Now I live without that fear of loss.

I will happily give a starving man, woman (or a man playing as a woman?!) my last can of beans.

I don't fear meeting anyone, and I choose not to carry a weapon in the hope that more than just KOS ensues.

If I do happen to be KOS, robbed and killed or simply forced to enjoy a bottle of disinfectant then so be it.

I will come back, my adventure begins again and I will enjoy it every step of the way.

(first post, had to lose that cherry and this seemed a valid enough topic)
  • Like 1

There is not a single reason not to be KOS. The majority of the people you meet will KOS. If they miss you, they are bad and deserve to be killed by the likes of you. If they don't miss you, you'll be the one to make a new character.

Prove me wrong.

Nothing to prove here but your narrow-minded delusion that suggest your opinion to be the definitive answer to all DayZ players. Thanks for sharing a narrow-minded opinion that was a total waste of time.

Edited by Karnesh
  • Like 2

I'm generally pretty friendly in-game. I've been a comedian for years, and I'm not saying I'm a really special wacky guy, but some I've had some real great laughs with fellow survivors- especially when they play along with my bullshit. There's loads of hilarious shit up on Youtube.

Lots of creative people play DayZ, and when you run into them the game can become really funny.

The entire reason I'm generally not KOS is because the chance that you'll hold somebody out who turns out to be hilarious is just so great. All of my best mmorpg memories with my online peeps are from ridiculous player interactions, and DayZ with voice chat is pretty much the best medium ever for mmo comedy.

Maybe you're just boring or suck. 

if you play on steam add me dude.. darkopal... we might have fun moments :D

I prefer lama's to lamers as their wool is so much snugglier.

A good Dayz player is one who uses strategy, tactics and wits to think and reason their way through situations rather than take the easy way out. Sometimes violence is necessary. Many times it isn't.

Easy button guide for the less than good players.

1. see other player

2. shoot other player

3. rinse and repeat

Edited by ShadowJack