cataclyststa

Do you support "Killing on sight"?

Do you support "Killing on sight"?  

151 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think it's okay to "Kill on sight"?

2. 2. Do you think banditry is an important part of the game?

3. 3. Do you consider yourself to be a bandit?

Depends. If someone is armed and in a place like NW airfield, then I'll KOS him of course. If I see a guy with only a meele weapon, I'll rob him or talk to him...

• Like 3

My votes were a little contradictory. I said kill on sight was wrong, but banditry was part of the game. Just because I feel something is wrong doesn't mean it isn't integral to the experience. I'm not a bandit myself. I'll either run from confrontation, or try to communicate before I take action, however I understand not everyone will play exactly like I do. Sometimes it would be nice if they did, but if everyone did I'd imagine survival games like this would be very boring.

Do you think it's okay to "Kill on sight"?    yes - is dog eat dog if I have some need and you having gun I don't think I shoot and too many bitches COMBAT LOG!!! >:(

Do you think banditry is an important part of the game?    yes - bandit brothers create atmosphere of fear and paranoiac feel of dayz :thumbsup:  :ph34r:

Do you consider yourself to be a bandit?    yes - is bear doing shit in forest? :huh:

Edited by KoS
  • Like 2

Yes it's extremely important!

Or else this game would be boring.

Especially now with no vehicles and so little zombies.

But KOS'ing is just surviving. It's the way we react in this type of situation.

When supplies and food and the things that mean life or death are rare, you never know if someone is after your stash.

You can't trust anyone! Period!

Thats the way it is in DayZ, and thats the it would be IRL.

This is a somewhat close representation of how we would actually act in this situation.

People get scared, and don't know how to react or communicate in a sudden life or death situation, and you see this type of behavior time and time again in the game.

Where two people who would otherwise get along great and be able to help each other survive, end up killing one or the other because they are afraid and don't know how to react. I mean, how do you react? It's not like there doing something wrong that could save there life.

It's just the reality of this way of living. You just never can really trust someone when what you have means life or death to another.

KOS'ing is in the game because it's the way we are. As long as there is complete freedom to act as you will anyway you want without consequence, then it will never change, IMO.

The most general definition of bandit is someone who robs and steals at gunpoint. In other words, "banditry" is not the main reason people KoS. They do it because it's fun, It has nothing to do with your loot... Why else would they shoot people with no gear?

Anyone else that kills on sight only does it because they've been KoSed so many times and they're tired of dying to assholes.

Edited by Madix

First...KoS has nothing to do with banditry, second banditry is always used as an excuse for KoS, third ah it's no use anyway.

• Like 2

I dont believe in KoS but I do believe in Banditry. you dont have to KoS to be a bandit... the best Bandits Rob you. make you do silly things, like take your pants off and dance as they shoot the ground around you. KoS'ers arent bandits... they are just A-holes...

• Like 2

Yes it's extremely important!

Or else this game would be boring.

Especially now with no vehicles and so little zombies.

But KOS'ing is just surviving. It's the way we react in this type of situation.

When supplies and food and the things that mean life or death are rare, you never know if someone is after your stash.

You can't trust anyone! Period!

Thats the way it is in DayZ, and thats the it would be IRL.

This is a somewhat close representation of how we would actually act in this situation.

People get scared, and don't know how to react or communicate in a sudden life or death situation, and you see this type of behavior time and time again in the game.

Where two people who would otherwise get along great and be able to help each other survive, end up killing one or the other because they are afraid and don't know how to react. I mean, how do you react? It's not like there doing something wrong that could save there life.

It's just the reality of this way of living. You just never can really trust someone when what you have means life or death to another.

KOS'ing is in the game because it's the way we are. As long as there is complete freedom to act as you will anyway you want without consequence, then it will never change, IMO.

Wrong. Or at least that theory is not well implemented yet in this game or in the mod. Its a huge stretch as it is. I can satiate my thirst and hunger in a matter of moments from the time i spawn. The game COULD make it so you literally had to kill others to survive, but it doesn't even come close to that. The killing doesn't make any sense as it is and i wish they would give some rational via a small back story to it. Not story so much as giving the PVP a label. Like they were military out to kill civilians or mercenaries paid by the military.

The most general definition of bandit is someone who robs and steals at gunpoint. In other words, "banditry" is not the main reason people KoS.

In DayZ though, since Rocket gave "bandit skins" to those who killed survivors or anyone that wasn't a bandit, for many people the term bandit has come to mean someone that kills anyone for fun.

Edited by Thane

- Yes

- Yes

- No

Shoot first, ask questions later is a valid strategy to keep yourself alive. And that's pretty much what the game is about: staying alive.

I've shot on sight, even in the back of unarmed people who were not even aware of me. After two or three of those it got boring though.

If people are unarmed or only armed with melee weapons I usually ignore them or tell them to stop depending on the situation. Armed people are different, depending on the threat they pose I might kill on sight, eg: if they are too close. Better them than myself. However I try to use stealth and not let them spot me, or simply fire at them from a distance and run away.

I have not yet really robbed people. I stopped some and handcuffed them, but usually they ended up having more stuff in their inventory than before.

Edited by Baarn

Depends. If someone is armed and in a place like NW airfield, then I'll KOS him of course. If I see a guy with only a meele weapon, I'll rob him or talk to him...

I just tried to be friendly with a guy in an Airfield, he pulled the "i'm friendly don't shoot" and then proceeded to shoot at me while i was leaving to let him have whatever was there. I'll never make that mistake again... But yeah, KOS-ing is reasonable if at a place like the airfield, but if the person only has a melee weapon then KOS-ing him/her isn't reasonable in said situation.

I've killed on sight because it seems like the best option in those split second decisions. 

You get the jump on a guy with a gun, and you have but a few moments to decide whether to shoot them or not. The likelihood is that they will shoot you so, you do what you have to in order to survive. Killing on sight is fine and justifiable under such conditions. Thus it is an important part of the game.

I try to keep it down to a minimum however.

KoS wouldn't be so bad if this game wasn't so unforgiving. If you hesitate at all around armed players your screen will most likely turn black before you even know you were shot.

The only practical way to defend yourself in DayZ is to hide and crawl around for hours or to literally shoot every person with a gun.

TBH i've just spent weeks KOS'ing hoppers at airfields, I also shoot on sight payday masks, I do not shoot fresh spawns, but I will kill those who do.. simples. it's my code that gets me through dayz. I know others play differently & I do not demand that they don't. I used to get really wound up about fresh spawn killing in the mod as I was victim to it all the time at the start.  Then eventually you learn & stop being a victim that's when I stopped caring as it's just a fact of the game.

Edited by Calibre
  • Like 1

Yup KoS is fine, people who think it isn't should git gud. yes bandits are needed. and no I'm not a bandit I'm just a murderer, bandits/bambi's/or heros its all the same if I see em first I shoot first.

Edited by Gerandar

In my case, it's never always a yes/no answer to questions like "Is KoS fine?". It'll always be entirely relative to the situation, how I'm feeling, and how my squad is feeling. It's mostly up to our instincts and quick processing/reaction time. I'll give a few examples:

A couple days ago, a friend and I were moving around Berezino when we came across a guy who was fairly well geared with a Mosin. He didn't appear to be threatening (he was full sprinting toward us with no gun in hand) so my friend decided to talk to him while I trained my M4 on his head. We had no intention of killing him because of the way he reacted to the situation, and as a sign of good faith my friend put his weapon away. Even though I was covering my friend the entire time, it was a fairly civil meet... neither of us had anything the other wanted to trade for, so we went our separate ways.

Another moment, we ran into what appeared to be definitely a hostile group of two guys with Mosins. It ended up turning into an hour long firefight after we engaged... I'll give the guys credit, they weren't half bad and they stuck it out without combat logging, even when they were in a tight situation. (They managed to kill two of my squad mates while I entered the building they were in at the time.) The guy knew I was at the bottom of the ladder, but he just refused to log off and waited there for at least 20 minutes before coming down. Deep respect. The point is, we engaged simply because we recognized them as a threat (which they definitely were). I realize it's hard to read body movement to a point, but generally you can get at least a small idea of how another person is probably going to react to your presence.

About a week ago I was playing alone and I met a guy in Guba, or rather I spotted him looting the town when I was in another building. I flanked him, aimed my gun at his head and shouted over voice chat. "Hey you, get down on the ground. Don't pull out a weapon or I will shoot you, do you understand me?" or something along those lines. The guy quickly turned around and pulled out a fire axe (This was the first sign of suspicious behavior, I'm guessing he thought I was right behind him, when in fact I was outside of the house aiming at him through a large window). Once he saw me, he quickly put his axe away and put his hands up. Keep in mind, the entire time there was no voice chat coming from his end (The second sign of suspicious behavior). Not two seconds after he put his hands up, I spotted movement in my peripheral vision... there was another guy in town in a building across the street (Third sign of suspicious behavior). Immediately at that point, I assumed he was asking a friend to help him kill me. I put three rounds into the guys head, flanked his friend in a bar, brought my gun up and shot him 5 - 8 times in the back while he was trying to look for me in the direction of his dead friend. I had no intention of robbing them, they simply just forced my hand. Didn't even loot a single thing off their bodies...

And finally, I ran into a young sprout at the NEAF one day, he had a gun but the second I told him to get down on the ground, I could tell he was afraid of me. After attempting to question him a bit, I decided he wasn't much of a threat and I let him go, and of course I watch people for a good while after I've let them go their own way. He ended up walking 50 meters then logged off, I guess he assumed I'd shoot him in the back.

Simply put, I'm always watching what people are doing when I either spot them or interact with them. Are they carrying their gun often at a ready stance? Do they have their weapon on their back? Are they talking back in voice? Is there any other threats in the immediate area?

In the mod, most KoSing was done for fun. In DayZ, most KoSing is because if we don't, they will, however we at least try to put some effort into interacting provided the situation deems it possible. That being said, I find it far more enjoyable than just killing people the instant you see them... actually having to put thought into it, for me personally, is incredibly rewarding. Not to say that I won't kill people if I immediately deem them a threat within reason.

My votes were:

No   - In my eyes, KoSing just to KoS without putting any thought into it kind of ruins the experience for both myself and the people that are getting mowed down. Killing people is easy, having to decide whether they're worth the kill through a series of invisible complex check lists, not entirely. Keep in mind this is all the while trying to gauge their actions and determine through gut instincts while not letting your guard down just to get shot. If someone raises a gun to me, they're getting put down, among other situations. Sometimes they don't even need to have a gun, for example a fresh spawn charging me with fists will get put down.

Yes - Bandits are incredibly important to DayZ, not just the robbing and kidnapping kind, but the KoS kind as well, but I think it would be good to ask yourself "If everyone ALWAYS KoS'd on DayZ, would it be any fun?" Sure, for some yeah, but really at that point it would just turn into something that doesn't really seem like DayZ, just another one of those games. Like everything, it requires balance... (I dislike the whole Battlefield/Call of Duty references, don't even really know where those  came from to begin with).

No - This one is more or less difficult to answer for me, seeing as sometimes I like to play as a bandit, other times not so much. I'm more of a neutral person switching between Bandit and Survivor (I haven't really tried giving the hero/helpful survivor type play style a go yet, maybe in due time).

Edited by Sab
  • Like 1

I agree with this. Some areas I lean towards KOS than others, although neither myself nor my crew ever seem to shoot first. We always try to chat, even when we tell each other we're gonna kill the next guys we run into.

I don't really kill on sight per say,  I give three clear warnings then shoot or if I'm approached at gun point someone's going down lol I killed two blood bandits earlier today, they were draining some guy, took them out.. freed the guy and let him have the loot :) I'm kinda like.... a gentleman bandit

I got problems with KOSing unarmed men. Once i was KOS'd 4 fucking times in a row by the same group of people, ALL of them I was unarmed. It's not funny to have your brains blown out by a mosin for the 4th time within a couple minutes, even if you announce your friendly.

Sadly, because of this, I blow people's brains out on sight, afraid they'll do the same to me. Likewise, they will now now begin to kill on sight, and the people they kill might get fed up and also KOS.

The results of all of this? Eventually, dayZ will just become DayZ of Duty: Zombie Op's.

KOS isn't a problem, the frequency of it is.

EDIT:

To more directly address the question, I answered yes, yes, no. I'd just prefer if the proportions were closer to a real-life proportion. Not everyone who Kills on Sight in the game would be willing to do it in real life. I'd love to see mechanics introduced to fix the imbalance of the system.

Edited by Dellema
  • Like 1

Please answer with your most honest opinions!

Why...because we dont get a shitload of these polls every week? Djez will u ppl ever quit

Edited by svisketyggeren

The results of all of this? Eventually, dayZ will just become DayZ of Duty: Zombie Op's.

People have been saying this shit since April 2012 and it hasn't happened yet. I think we're safe.