angry pineapple

Always on direct chat

An option for hardcore servers. Always on direct chat.

Many players use ts/steam to communicate with each other in game. This isn't going to change and makes playing with friends more enjoyable.

An option to have direct always on means that if you are speaking other players may hear you - no more communication via esp ;)

This would eliminate players communicating outside of the dayz world. If you speak - anyone in range should be able to hear you.

Apologies if this has been suggested. Didn't find anything in search.

Edited by angry pineapple
  • Like 7

I like, probably can be worked around by really desperate players (skype on a nearby mobile or something) but a step to eliminate a lot of the TS/mumble clans from having telepathy

Gotta say I would love to hear some 12 year old in the bushes screaming at his mom to get him another glass of chocolate milk.

• Like 7

People will just turn off their microphones.

That's fine. The idea is that if you are speaking on ts and I'm in vicinity I should be able to hear your as well. Currently players can plan ambushes while standing in front of you. If you turn off your mic won't be able to speak to anyone (ts or in game)

Gotta say I would love to hear some 12 year old in the bushes screaming at his mom to get him another glass of chocolate milk.

Lol - from his sniping position!

No. It's been suggested before. And it could be classed as invasion of privacy. I don't want this to be implemented because it's simply not practical

:thumbsup:  Great idea, love it! It's harsh but perfect.

I know the game designers want to include walkie-talkie and radio mechanics. To the extent that an always on mic wouldn't interfere with game content, I think we could actually see this - in fact a rule like this could promote the use of the in game radios when they're fully implemented. To use the radio in this case you would have to whisper if you're concerned about being overheard. 

When I see someone ill double tap direct chat so it just stays on, just feels more real as easy to chat to someone when your looting or hiding and trying to see if they are hostile of friendly. One mistake and your over. And it will add more drama that the risk of been heard talking to your group from someone hiding in the bush of knowing what they are planning to do to you.

Completely got Cartman stuck in my head now

• Like 4

That's fine. The idea is that if you are speaking on ts and I'm in vicinity I should be able to hear your as well. Currently players can plan ambushes while standing in front of you. If you turn off your mic won't be able to speak to anyone (ts or in game)

*Cough* Mutes in-game microphone *Cough* got any other cards to play?

Edited by Lyganesh

No. It's been suggested before. And it could be classed as invasion of privacy. I don't want this to be implemented because it's simply not practical

Where is the invasion of privacy when you willingly and knowingly enter a server that has this option enabled?!?! That would be like dialing into a telephone conference and then accusing the other participants of invading your privacy.

Edited by Rantanplan

*Cough* Mutes in-game microphone *Cough* got any other cards to play?

Ah - I didn't think of that :(

I fold. Well played sir!

Could there be a way for DayZ to detect which setting a VOIP proggy is using? Whether it be press to talk(and which key bind that is) or always open, with disabling in game VOIP not being an option.

Yeah it can be circumvented by an external sources(another laptop or whatever) but it will deter the TS advantage for a lot. Not a programmer so don't even know if this is feasible.

Oh god, this thread again.....

Also, to everyone going "Yeah! Great idea!" I feel you'd change your tune after dieing the millionth time because some random bit of background noise (traffic, pets, roomates, inclement weather, keyboard noises,clearing your throat)announced your position to the world.

Edited by Pandema
  • Like 1

Sorry i Don't agree, it would stop you being able to talk to your friends or you would have type everything to each other... Please don't put that in

i like the idea as an option at least, less groups conspiring against someone they are pretending to be friendly with. and more authentic

maybe have more than 1 channel so you could have a whisper channel that has low audible range, and a loud channel which has more audible range than normal

• Like 1

I must admit, I like the premise of the idea. esp for a hard core server. guys who want 1st person only and realistic day cycle times should also be keen on this.

I know I play with a friend and we have a small team speak server we use and I actually said to him the other day that with all the shit we talk and bitching at each other while playing, we should be dead a lot more! 

Have it a server option, with in game mute disabled. one of the issues would be the echo'ing of sound you get from trying to use two voips at the same time.

Oh god, this response again...

You'd probably stop getting that response if people bothered to use the search function. 

I like this idea but I feel like the range should be reduced a bit for always on, but keep the ability to press caps lock and "yell" to the range you can now. Direct chat range is a bit much to be constantly broadcasting, half the range would be a good start.

No, just no.

Unless you have a $100 mic like very few people do, its going to be HUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM *Keyboard* MMMMMMMMMMM For anyone within hearing distance, revealing positions and making it impossible to sneak up on people.

Plus theres one thing to remember.

There IS a line between realistic and fun.

In my opinion this would be crossing it.

And how is it an invasion of privacy?

That fact that anyone within 40m could hear anything in my house is a HUGE invasion of privacy.

A d as for it being "Hardcore only" that means anyone who doesn't want it would be stuck on "Player radar, spawn with M4" servers or completely full public hives with 24/7 DM. 

The background noise happens in TS as well and they can always be muted in game or out. So not sure what that excuse is all about.

The invasion of privacy thing is a bit rich too, if you're in TS amongst others(which is most likely the case) how can this be invasion of privacy? If you're playing a game would you actually be trading government secrets or whatever else you consider private in TS... I really find this hard to believe

It's only an invasion of privacy because people want to conspire and plan without consequence much like everything else.

Not saying I totally dig the idea of Direct always being on but some of the excuses here are a bit rich.