Sign in to follow this  
Chungmugong

What do you think of fresh spawns being able to punch?

Should Punching Be Removed?  

259 members have voted

1. 1. Should punching be removed?

I'm leaning against it... I miss that unarmed players were helpless. But I could be wrong here. What do you think?

It takes some 30 punches to kill anything. You basically are helpless. 

chances to KO player wearing helmet should be almost zero.

AGREED 100%. These things are meant to protect people from insane impact forces. It should be almost 0% knock outs even if we had dudes like Brock Lesner punching you. Hard plastic vs human small bones = Broken hand at full punch power. Anyone who said otherwise does not understand biology or physics. 

Now, that being said the % of knockouts should/could go up slowly/incrementally based on the blunt melee weapon but not by much.

I feel like bats may have a chance at extreame speeds on the right part of the head.

Pipe wrenches are heavier but smaller so don't have the same amount of force created by a large swing.

An axe would probably crack the shit out of a motorcycle helmet on the first or second blow but only kill someone on the third if it fell right into the crack so accuracy would have to be a factor there.

Shouldent be hard to implement any of these necessary tweaks, but as for the OPs "suggestion".........  -____- Really dude? 

Edited by VictorM

Shouldent be hard to implement any of these necessary tweaks, but as for the OPs "suggestion".........  -____- Really dude? 

I'm not seeing how the OP included a suggestion. Does anyone else see "This needs to be removed."? It had a poll question and I gave my opinion, one that I admitted that I wasn't firmly attached to. I see 90%+ is in favor of keeping it. That's great to see that people like the change. I miss the totally helpless feeling of running into Kamenka, hearing gunshot and having NO other option but to haul ass.

I have an unpopular opinion. Deal with it.

A good punch or combo of them in real life can leave someone out cold or seriously dazed, so I think it's a good and realistic addition to the game. There is obviously a need to factor in variables though such as head gear being worn. 

I do think there is a contingent of players tired of fresh spawns running up and knocking them out for their gear. I haven't had this happen. I'm not sure if I'm totally against it. But, I'd hate to see the coast become nothing but kamikazes, too.

That contingent of players need to learn the fuck how to play. If you get killed by a dude with his fists, you are doing so much wrong that you don't deserve to live.

This game doesn't get "balanced" like all the swirling contents of the cesspool that are "AAA" titles. If you're geared and near me when I spawn I'm going to knock you the fuck out, because you're that shit. In real life, a survivor with no weapon will either run away, or try to drop the enemy with their fists.

Additionally, can you possibly see how this breaks the realism of the game? How this breaks so many more parts of the game? The only way a game can be "balanced", is if it's based on real life, as this gives the whole design a standard to be based on (otherwise, the second you change something, something else becomes "unbalanced" - see WoW, Battlefield, CoD/any multiplayer game ever). You can knock people out with one punch in real life, so that's how it stays in game.

Edited by MR DELICIOUS

AGREED 100%. These things are meant to protect people from insane impact forces. It should be almost 0% knock outs even if we had dudes like Brock Lesner punching you. Hard plastic vs human small bones = Broken hand at full punch power. Anyone who said otherwise does not understand biology or physics. 

Now, that being said the % of knockouts should/could go up slowly/incrementally based on the blunt melee weapon but not by much.

I feel like bats may have a chance at extreame speeds on the right part of the head.

Pipe wrenches are heavier but smaller so don't have the same amount of force created by a large swing.

An axe would probably crack the shit out of a motorcycle helmet on the first or second blow but only kill someone on the third if it fell right into the crack so accuracy would have to be a factor there.

Ever fought someone in a helmet? It's very easy to take them down, as their peripheral vision is impaired, their is a large weight on their head which makes all neck movements twice as momentous, and they aren't agile at all. You really need to think of the punching in game as a guy running up to a dude and not literally only punching, but assaulting them with all the means they possess (until they're able to animate fluid brawling animations in game).

This game doesn't get "balanced" like all the swirling contents of the cesspool that are "AAA" titles

The M4A1 begs to differ.

• Like 1

No need to take a fresh spawns only line of defense away from them.  

Ever fought someone in a helmet? It's very easy to take them down, as their peripheral vision is impaired, their is a large weight on their head which makes all neck movements twice as momentous, and they aren't agile at all. You really need to think of the punching in game as a guy running up to a dude and not literally only punching, but assaulting them with all the means they possess (until they're able to animate fluid brawling animations in game).

Dude, you can punch me in the head all day if i a wearing a motorcycle helmet and the only thing that will happen is you will break your fucking hands... Sorry, that's just how it is... Unless, you forgot that they were designed to protect your head from blunt force trama, which far exceeds what your fists could never even begin to produce.

Edited by Deepfryer
  • Like 1

How so?

It, and its attachments, are most certainly "balanced". My 2 cents.

I read the poll wrong, and accidentally chose 'Yes'... oops.

I think that punching is good. I mean, what stops someone in real life from punching you out and taking your gun if you get close enough.

Maybe an option to block, like with the current melee weapons, but with the M4/rifles?

Edited by Gesundheit

Dude, you can punch me in the head all day if i a wearing a motorcycle helmet and the only thing that will happen is you will break your fucking hands... Sorry, that's just how it is... Unless, you forgot that they were designed to protect your head from blunt force trama, which far exceeds what your fists could never even begin to produce.

Did you read what I wrote? The actual text you quoted and replied to. My exact point is that while it looks like punching in game, it's serving the purpose of showing all the other ways I would be assaulting you if you were wearing a motocycle helmet in a brawl. For one, I'd get behind you/trip you/whatever and then twist that fucker around until your neck was broken/you couldn't see out of it and then proceed to finish you off. I wouldn't literally run up and punch you in the helmet (although it looks literally like that in the game). Do you get what I'm saying?

Edited by MR DELICIOUS
  • Like 1

It, and its attachments, are most certainly "balanced". My 2 cents.

Yeah, but they're "balanced" because it's modeled as close to its real life counterpart, not because Rocket has thought "oh wow, I can't believe this ASSAULT RIFLE is actually more powerful than a pistol - better nerf/buff it".

Yeah, but they're "balanced" because it's modeled as close to its real life counterpart, not because Rocket has thought "oh wow, I can't believe this ASSAULT RIFLE is actually more powerful than a pistol - better nerf/buff it".

As close as possible to real life, no, not even intended to be. And it's actually less powerful than either pistol.

As close as possible to real life, no, not even intended to be. And it's actually less powerful than either pistol.

It is intended to be as close to it's real life counterpart (however well it does it). Rocket has stated this numerous times, as well as the wider BE/Arma dev team. It's also firing "weak" carbine rounds, verses the magnum. The FNX is also not very powerful. If you think the M4 was balanced by the BE/dev team outside of aiming for real-world accuracy, then you'd be wrong.

Edited by MR DELICIOUS

It is intended to be as close to it's real life counterpart (however well it does it). Rocket has stated this numerous times, as well as the wider BE/Arma dev team. It's also firing "weak" carbine rounds, verses the magnum. The FNX is also not very powerful. If you think the M4 was balanced by the BE/dev team outside of aiming for real-world accuracy, then you'd be wrong.

How is it in any way close to its real life counterpart? Specifics please.

Back to the punching: why do punches knock players out but only knock zombies down?

This is why it's so important to exterminate fresh spawns. 

If you see one, exterminate it immediately. 

How is it in any way close to its real life counterpart? Specifics please.

Back to the punching: why do punches knock players out but only knock zombies down?

Well, would probably have something to do with their brains not functioning as ours do?

Impossible to answer without knowing what the devs had in mind for the zed physiology.

Did you read what I wrote? The actual text you quoted and replied to. My exact point is that while it looks like punching in game, it's serving the purpose of showing all the other ways I would be assaulting you if you were wearing a motocycle helmet in a brawl. For one, I'd get behind you/trip you/whatever and then twist that fucker around until your neck was broken/you couldn't see out of it and then proceed to finish you off. I wouldn't literally run up and punch you in the helmet (although it looks literally like that in the game). Do you get what I'm saying?

Bitch is, the game only offers punching, your logic is fucked...

And if my neck was broke, you'd be wasting your time "finishing me off"

Edited by Deepfryer

Bitch is, the game only offers punching, your logic is fucked...

And if my neck was broke, you'd be wasting your time "finishing me off"

Around and around and around. Do you see the part where I say that the game doesn't offer (and probably won't) animations that resemble what I described, so a punching animation will have to make up for that?

Similarly, when I say "neck was broken/you couldn't see out of it" do you think I'm referring to finishing off after I've broken your neck, or finishing you off after I've twisted your helmet around so you can't see?

Edited by MR DELICIOUS

I have literally never been knocked out by someone with fists. If you let them get close enough to Mike Tyson you, you fuckin' had it coming.