Sign in to follow this  
Chungmugong

What do you think of fresh spawns being able to punch?

Should Punching Be Removed?  

259 members have voted

1. 1. Should punching be removed?

I wouldn't take the feature out of the game, but yes I would remove the KO thing. Making it so the player has a moderate chance of falling down when getting punched in the face sounds better to me. 

Keep it in the game, I'm sure as the game gets more develop it will improve the blocking and hand combat. Just sad the people who cry over this it's not easy out their at least now you have a fighting chance of making it out their. Well had we look at the poll we have at this stage 3 people who don't like it (fresh spawn killing bandits who really can't call them selfs bandits gives it a bad name)

And 56 people like the hand combat it's more realistic, by the looks it wasn't a idea what was going to make dean change the feature.

It is hard knock an average-sized male out with one punch. It takes a pretty precise placement and a pretty high amount of force. Doable? Certainly! But if it were that easy, all boxing matches and MMA fights would end in round one.

Yes but boxers and mma fighters put there guard up to protect there chins don't they. You can't do that in DayZ.

So basically in DayZ you get to give someone a free punch straight to the kisser.

If that happened to you or me or anyone else for that matter we would be flat on our asses seeing tweety birds  lol

Edit: I would like to see them expand on the melee system by implementing a guard feature.

Edited by Jeansie

Hell no

They just need to rework punching, insta-knockouts aren't realistic and I don't care who says so.

They need to fix it so you can sprint up and actually smash or tackle someone to the ground and then go to town on them, instead of taking a boxing stance and trading little jabs which somehow produce 30 minute waiting periods...

so you want to tell me that someone getting a running start at you without you noticing and punches you on the back of your head, you wont get unconscious?

please only answer if you were in a real fight before

even when someone does punch from the front at the right spot (for example right on your heart) you can get knocked out instantly, maybe even die

punching someone in the throat is something very nasty as well and nothing you want to experience, i assure you that

How in the heck are insta-knockouts unrealistic? ... I'm not saying the mechanic that governs them needs tweaking but a 1 hit knock out is completely doable, especially if you catch somebody off guard. **After reading that back I just wanted to clarify .. I am not one that supports sucker punching people in your day to day activities.

Yes, but it's also much harder to punch someone accurately in real life. A 1 hit knock-out seems OP because there's no miss factor

I think it's great. I always found it nonsensical that unarmed players were incapable of doing anything in the mod.

I see what you're saying, punches are obviously way to overpowered. One punch to the back of the head shouldn't spell doom for a fully geared player wearing a ballistic helmet.

But should punches be removed? No

The punching is great IMO. Just needs balancing. It isn't easy to knock someone out with 1 punch, but a lot is down to the person receiving said punch lol. The force is different based on where you land and again, who your hitting. Don't forget aswell how easy it is to break bones in your hand when using bare knuckles. Hence why boxers (pre-gloves) only used body shots (and large amounts of whiskey) to save there hands during a match. Even today its possible to break a bone in your hand or wrist when wearing gloves, (though quite unlikely).

Maybe 3-4 hits to the head and you would be unconscious. Taking body shots shouldn't knock you down but, when introduced, drain your stamina. Making it harder to run away :)

EDIT - Just thought of little addition, body shots should drain stamina, and your punches should get weaker, aswell as the decreaced run speed with low stamina. 

With all that in you could effectively subdue someone, rob them, beat them in the gut a bit so they carn't chase after you and leave :)

Edited by Karmaterror

No.

But since a freshspawn is no longer defenceless they are more killed on sight that ever, which is a cold shower for new players.

• Like 1

I like it, but i hate it when I see knockouts on people wearing a motorcycle helmet.

I like it, but i hate it when I see knockouts on people wearing a motorcycle helmet.

It would be cool if hit motorcycle helmet = break your arm lol.

Well maybe you guys should be more careful and keep your distance from spawns instead of being all macho.

If some one gets up close with you while you have a gun, you deserve to die.

Crying baby bandits, getting killed by fists because they think they are all that.

Spot on!

What next? Ball and chain around the legs so they cant run till they find a key to release the chain? Some people.

Absolutely no. It has to stay in the game, they maybe need to work a bit on it, since it seems a bit overpowered sometimes. But otherwise, I love it. Knocking some full geared bandit swagger kids out.. That's beautiful every time. And then their rage VOIP "MAAAN F-CK YOU BR000 SUCK MY D!CK BR0000 #SWAG #420".. Fantastic!

chances to KO player wearing helmet should be almost zero.

It's fine as it is in general. You have fists, you can use them.

Some melee prot would be nice though. It's not that easy to knock someone out if he's fighting back. You can also dodge a bit already.

Certain items should give definite (quick) knockout protection however.

I do think there is a contingent of players tired of fresh spawns running up and knocking them out for their gear. I haven't had this happen. I'm not sure if I'm totally against it. But, I'd hate to see the coast become nothing but kamikazes, too.

Why? So you can run your geared toon down to the coast and gank fresh spawns without fear of getting whacked and robbed yourself? Weak.

• Like 3

Although insta-knockouts *are* possible and realistic. Having them in the game as they are increases unrealistic player behaviour - charging towards an armed man to try and get the sucker punch :s

Not sure if the engine takes into account shots from behind/in front, but maybe a stealth punch should be a knockout but not a full frontal assault :)

• Like 1

Boxing matches use gloves that absorb a huge amount of the energy of a punch. Back before gloves, they often did end in round one and occasionally with the convulsing death of the loser.

As for MMA, there are an awful lot of first round knock-outs. Most blows are avoided or blocked partially, but if people do connect fully with a swing it pretty much does bring it to an end.

Fights before Queensbury rules lasted an enormous number of rounds. And boxing deaths occur today, but not from 5 or 6 blows to the head.

Yes but boxers and mma fighters put there guard up to protect there chins don't they. You can't do that in DayZ.

So basically in DayZ you get to give someone a free punch straight to the kisser.

If that happened to you or me or anyone else for that matter we would be flat on our asses seeing tweety birds

If you think every untrained (or even trainer) fighter has one punch KO power.

Educate yourself.

Edited by Chungmugong

The answer is not to remove punching, but to enhance the feature and melee in general.

Helmets should provide extreme protection against fists. Blocking, tackling and grappling should be possible. You should be able to quickly pull a knife to stab/slash at someone who is punching you. etc., etc.

But taking away their ability to punch? Sorry, that's a non-starter. It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, and it's removing a feature that the developers worked hard to implement just because you don't like gettin' punched.

I like where your going with that. I think the main focus is here, (and I'll be the one to say, yes it almost happened to me) if that now fresh spawns are listening for gunshots and logging to get behind people. I fired my weapon because Mr. Axe though he was going to be bold. I was jumped from behind only shortly there after seconds.

I agree, if ballistc helmets are pristen they should be able to actually hurt the player. The other feature that the guy who was "chasing me" yes he was, my gun wasn't out because i don't walk around with it out was some kind of run and punch where he was able to be faster than me. You more defenseless than a fresh spawn if you can't get your weapon out because you can't get space between you. I also had my fists up when running to gather more speed or so it seems.

Eventually he caught up, I was either going to die or kill him I had made up my mind already. He didn't win, however even in 3rd person it's hard to shoot someone with an m4 running circles around you.

Moral to this story is, don't take away the fresh spawn's punches, but give the fully geared player the option to mace, stab, something.. Because I feel, call me a bad player or w/e that the current ease in which a spawn can kill you is quite unfair.

I am new to the game, not the best, however I worked for the gear I have. So people calling these punch kids bandit killers?? Pretty sure they are the bandits and just don't wanna run all the way to bolota so they hop till they hear shots, then look for someone to combat log and punch.

I can tell you this, it's a great feature, but it's a bit OP from the stories I heard above, from a tired thristy spawn. Let it be in game, but give me a counter for those who abuse the system via combat logging.

I actually attempt to help spawns, bandages, show them where the water is ect... I suppose the real thing to do is to kill them too... Before long they will all be able to take your gear, and that's that..

Lastly, if I may, the option to keep it may also limit bandit spawn kills, KOS may go down quite a bit if the bandit know's he to is actually quite vounerable.

Edited by Deepfryer

Punching is too effective in relation to other weapons in dayz, if you disagree you are not thinking clearly.

Someone with a shovel is much more lethal and has more reach then an average below competent striking person. Fists suck in real life, that's why we developed weapons.

No really, fists suck in real life.  By the way, they really suck in real life.

You want effective punches in the game, make knuckle dusters available.

The game should make fists terrible enough that you need to find a weapon to survive and deal with another armed individual even remotely successfully.  As it is right now you can just zig zag your way at someone and mike tyson them and take their stuff.

That's not realistic in the slightest.

If I start as a fresh spawn and I feel totally helpless and useless, GOOD.  Because if this was real life, you would be.

That's the whole damn point is it not?

Edited by Tyockell18

Punching is too effective in relation to other weapons in dayz, if you disagree you are not thinking clearly.

Someone with a shovel is much more lethal and has more reach then an average below competent striking person. Fists suck in real life, that's why we developed weapons.

No really, fists suck in real life.  By the way, they really suck in real life.

You want effective punches in the game, make knuckle dusters available.

The game should make fists terrible enough that you need to find a weapon to survive and deal with another armed individual even remotely successfully.  As it is right now you can just zig zag your way at someone and mike tyson them and take their stuff.

That's not realistic in the slightest.

If I start as a fresh spawn and I feel totally helpless and useless, GOOD.  Because if this was real life, you would be.

That's the whole damn point is it not?

I agree that fists suck, however, it's not to hard to find a melee wep.. I don't think someone should have the ability to hit a few pumps to hydrate then punch my ass and take my stuff, they got close enough to do it because either they combat logged, or I was being nice and they charged me while my weapon was out.

Making it that easy, takes the fun out of looting hotspots all together.

EDIT: I've been charged by people with all sorts of melee, but they are slower, I've also been charged with fists and run punching is retarded.  I know there bandits, because they talk shit the entire time they are giving chase. If I was killing people where i was then i would have just shot those fuckers too.. it's that simple.

Give me something to protect myself from these "punch bandits" because they are not playing the game fair, log after log time after time. If I were sitting in one spot the whole damn time, killing loads of folks i wouldn't complain a single bit if I got logged, but I actively hunt spawn killers, as well as help the freshies out. Not only is it rewarding to kill these spawn killers, it's helping the game. Help me help Dayz survive combat loggers lol

Edited by Deepfryer