Sign in to follow this  
acid574

Player noises (Eating, drinking) without a player nearby - Normal?

Hey guys,

So I've bought DayZ yesterday, and I've never played the mod before. Now my problem - I hear eating / drinking / stacking item sounds all the time, and it's extremely annoying. I never know if there's actually a player nearby, or if my sound is going crazy again. I know it's an Alpha game, but I haven't heard of this strange thing yet. Does anyone else have this? Is this normal right now? I know that gunshots are rarely correct, and it sounds like they're right behind you, but is it the same with the eating / drinking?

With regards

• Like 2

Next time you hear it in the middle of nowhere stop and have a look on the ground near you, You'll most likely find a rabbit, The source. ;)

• Like 3

Next time you hear it in the middle of nowhere stop and have a look on the ground near you, You'll most likely find a rabbit, The source. ;)

I knew that rabbits make zombie sounds, but not eating and drinking. Today I was hiding in bushes watching the NEAF and heard the sound of a soda being opened. Cue five minutes searching the area with no one there...

• Like 1

idk about the rabbits, my friend saw a rabbit, but i couldn't, and it made no noises, we followed it for about 20min, and no noises

odd thing was, his character was African, mine was Caucasian. can only they see/hear rabbits??

• Like 1

I've never even seen a rabbit yet, and it also happens in towns. Or pretty much just everywhere. I think it's somehow the same bug like the gunshots which can't be located, but it really makes me paranoid.

• Like 2

ye its normal, if your laying @balota all day you notice stuff like this^^ reloading sounds, drinking and eating, they are different in some way but they make me turn around every time :D

• Like 1

idk about the rabbits, my friend saw a rabbit, but i couldn't, and it made no noises, we followed it for about 20min, and no noises

odd thing was, his character was African, mine was Caucasian. can only they see/hear rabbits??

Nope im the white dude, i can hear/see them too.

• Like 1

The AI for animals is based on the new AI for zombies (some will notice the old local ambient animals making zombie noises and acting aggressively!).

That was from Rocket. Explains the zombie noises, but not the others.

EDIT: Source: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/156129-confirmed-upcoming-features-for-dayz/

Edited by funky_mish
  • Like 1

Every time it happens I raise my weapon and spin around.

I know the one time I stop responding to the phantom soda, it will be a real bandit standing behind me with a coke and a smile.

• Like 3

I've gotten pretty used to the random eating and drinking sounds, although I haven't noticed it being tied to rabbits. There will probably be a time when there actually is someone there, and I won't notice them because I think it's just random sounds.

One thing that still scares the shit out of me every time, is when the game plays my footsteps twice over for a second... They sound like someone is right behind me :D

Edited by Badass Preacher

When I was new to DayZ it took me a while to get used to the fact that the sound of something hitting a chain link fence is just random. I would always spin around looking for the nearest fence and the person who bumped into it.

• Like 2

I think those are actual players in your vicinity/area. Just the sound range is bugged and you can hear them from 500m away.

Its annoying as hell.  It is just a bug though.  They havnt really touched to much on the sounds in the game.  But all will come with time

I've heard these noises on top of buildings...they do a great job at scaring me half to death

The explanation of this legend:

One player on server has his sounds global- so when he opens/eats/drinks or whatever, everybody hear it.

that cant be it, because all the sounds are kinda "cut-off".

u can only hear the first (half) second or so and then it stops.

also, i cant tell for sure, but it seems that the sounds are played in a regular intervall... every couple of seconds a new random sound starts.

this is a damn annoying bug... it makes playing the game nearly impossible, if u are a bit paranoid (because maybe u found that sweet acog scope for your m4 ...like i did^^) 

EDIT:

btw... are random gunshots sounds also part of this bug?

i heard them while watching over balota airfield... couldnt say if they were "real" or not... they sounded kinda muffled...

Edited by RedNoak

reminds me of Dark Souls.

kinda cool if you look at it that way. (althought its fucking annoying)

I guess it's the leftover script bits of a person who had an interaction with the server some time ago.

(eating stuff, getting aggroed, stuff that leaves an imprint on the server sort of)

Ambient sound glitch, probably placeholders for wind, weather, birds and insects.

I was told by a game mate that its piped in randomly like that weird metal closing door that sounds ocassionally. I've ignored it, until 2 nights ago when I logged in and was watching the road before moving out- heard someone chewing and then turned to see someone sitting next to me eating. He then logged out, but I had to change my boxers after that one.