Sign in to follow this  
ottovonlarnie

How much is too much?

Ok, so I've been playing DAYZ pretty solid over the weekend, I've amassed 775 M4 rounds. Today I found my first M4! I am carrying 2x300rnd. boxes and 3 of the bound 30rnd STANAG mags. I am now tucked away in the North of the map exploring all the funky new shit that has been added there, I have only met 1 person so far but he ignored me, do I really need this much ammo? should I ditch it? I don't have anything else taking up those slots at the moment.

What are your thoughts, what should I do? how much ammo does everyone else carry/ would like to carry?  Finally, where are most people choosing to rest up? staying near the coast or venturing to the unknown of the North?

• Like 1

I usually stay in the North, unless I am meeting friends off the coat or in Sary or Cherno, I usually carry about a little over half of what you carry, you would be surprised how many rounds you can burn through on a long journey to the Southern coast killing bandits and zombies, especially the groups of bandits. And with that much ammo, pass it out to your buddies or trade it to other people you encounter.

Edited by teufel937
  • Like 1

Die, and try starting over but doing something new. (or walk to the coast) Maybe like being a coast hero, giving new spawns gear and such, im going to be trying that later today.

• Like 2

give them to people that you meet. if they are friendly

Ok, so I've been playing DAYZ pretty solid over the weekend, I've amassed 775 M4 rounds. Today I found my first M4! I am carrying 2x300rnd. boxes and 3 of the bound 30rnd STANAG mags. I am now tucked away in the North of the map exploring all the funky new shit that has been added there, I have only met 1 person so far but he ignored me, do I really need this much ammo? should I ditch it? I don't have anything else taking up those slots at the moment.

What are your thoughts, what should I do? how much ammo does everyone else carry/ would like to carry?  Finally, where are most people choosing to rest up? staying near the coast or venturing to the unknown of the North?

M4 W/ 4x 60(Coupled) round Magazines. 1X Ammo Box w/ 180 .556 ammunition and the last two slots are for my .45

100 to 150 rounds are way enough IMHO, if you travel with friends you can add some more. Then again, if you have an ammo box, I'd just fill it up.

100 to 150 rounds are way enough IMHO, if you travel with friends you can add some more. Then again, if you have an ammo box, I'd just fill it up.

Run into a group of bandits w/ 3x30 round mags, if you know what you're doing you'll probably run out of ammo before you die.

off topic, but the new scenery in the north is awesome. i climbed in the cliffs north of Guba yesterday, beautiful spots there.

as for ammo, i carry maybe 90 rounds for the M4 and 40 rounds for the Magnum, but i'm not in the killing business..

• Like 1

You really don't need much to survive a firefight, 2-3 magazines and ammo to reload them, in the event you survive it. IF you don't need the four slots, keep the second box, but I can't really imagine a sustained firefight, where you're alive long enough to burn 800 rounds. :)

• Like 1

Run into a group of bandits w/ 3x30 round mags, if you know what you're doing you'll probably run out of ammo before you die.

If you're alone and run into a group of bandits and they are somewhat decent you'll just fucking die bro :D If you got buddies got 100 to 150 rounds will be fine. There is no point in carrying more than 150 rounds, they'll just take up space that you'd need for medical supplies.

Sorry, but I might have to call you a noob when you think that it will be a difference wether you have 150 or 700 rounds when running into 3 bandits..... Because that ain't the way DayZ works. Most of the time it's KoS anyways, so you don't even get to fire back.

Edited by Weparo

Hello there

Short Controlled bursts...

If you carry that much are you not spraying and praying too much?

Then again one can never have enough ammo.

Rgds

L

• Like 2

Im carrying a full ammo box of 5.56 and have 2 coupled mags. I dont spray and pray. In the last 30 hours of my character i maybe used like 20 rounds? To kill two players and 5-6 zombies.

Lol! I'm no noob, I am only carrying all the ammo because I can't seem to spend it quick enough!

I haven't encountered anyone to shoot at, I don't KOS, so I don't know what else I can do with them! I mostly play alone, so there's no team mates to share them with. But I don't need many medical supplies, nobody does really, just keep yourself well fed an watered!

Personally I've got 2 of the coupled mags, 1 30 round mag and then 2 piles of 30 rounds. As others have said, I don't think it's reasonable to go through a lot of rounds in a firefight. They're usually pretty short... With the 60 round mags, I feel like I'll be dead or they'll be dead before I need to load a different mag haha. I dropped an ammo box with about 150 rounds in it in favor of 2 more cans each of food and soda.

EDIT: You can also typically count on pulling ammo from armed players you kill to restock after the fight.

Edited by Steely_D89

Lol, planning to start your own war? If I have an ammo box I will fill it as you might as well. Then I usually keep 2-3 mags of the largest capacity I can find (unless they are the single slot type then I suppose I'd take more). 2 ammo boxes is a bit much but it's not like it takes too many slots and what else are you gonna carry anyway?

Lol, planning to start your own war? If I have an ammo box I will fill it as you might as well. Then I usually keep 2-3 mags of the largest capacity I can find (unless they are the single slot type then I suppose I'd take more). 2 ammo boxes is a bit much but it's not like it takes too many slots and what else are you gonna carry anyway?

This was my point, I am usually playing on servers with around 20-30 players, so I should be bumping into people. I have nothing else I need to carry, and everyone is always saying M4 rounds are tricky to come by. I may head to the coast and try to spend some ammo, still exploring the nuances of the far north at the moment.

I think 600 rounds is completely justifiable, but then again I'm just a big hoarder both in DayZ and real life.

w7luus.jpg

• Like 2

I'm gonna post a bit offtopic now, but I believe it's better then opening a new thread about this.

So, I'm quite new to the game, play it only for 2 days now. I was watching a couple of streams and Youtube videos before, but it was for the mod, I'm playing the standalone.

Yesterday, I found a ship, split in two halves on the shore north of Berenzino...until that points I didn't have any weapons beside an axe, but I found both a M4A1 and a Mosin almost next to each other. As I can carry just 1 weapon, I picked the Mosin because I've got only ammo for that weapon. Did I make the right decision? Which weapon is usually better to carry?

You can use the excess ammo you are carrying to shoot the fuel pumps at a gas station. You can have fun and get rid of some ammo. The pumps explode 5 times btw every 1 minute so stay away from them.

I'm gonna post a bit offtopic now, but I believe it's better then opening a new thread about this.

So, I'm quite new to the game, play it only for 2 days now. I was watching a couple of streams and Youtube videos before, but it was for the mod, I'm playing the standalone.

Yesterday, I found a ship, split in two halves on the shore north of Berenzino...until that points I didn't have any weapons beside an axe, but I found both a M4A1 and a Mosin almost next to each other. As I can carry just 1 weapon, I picked the Mosin because I've got only ammo for that weapon. Did I make the right decision? Which weapon is usually better to carry?

M4A1 is very inaccurate and it takes and does bad damage. I prefer the Mosin. 1SHOT 1K . Sure you only got 5 bullets in it but its better than the M4 and you can shoot at long range if you find a Long Range Scope.

Edited by raynor009

Right, I am now at 1050 rounds!!!! 3x300rnd boxes and 3 coupled STANAG mags!

Today I cleared out three fellas at the NW airfield, to be fair I didn't mean to kill one of them, he was a friendly dude I'd met a few moments before. Him and this other guy started shooting and in the heat of battle I did what I had to do to survive! lol! ...I shot everything!

The third guy tried to hold me up, when I do it to people I am always very nice about it this guy was blatently going to kill me. For some reason he thinks its safer to get me to drop my M4, which was previously on my back (big mistake), as soon as I got it in hands I dived left spun round and emptied 30rnds into him! he managed to get 1 .357rnd off, but missed me thank fuck!

So, now I have explored a good chunk of the new stuff up North, leaving the NW airfield now heading to the wreck N of Berezino. I'm going to go via Grishino, Devil's Castle, Gvozdno, Krasnostav and NE airfield. Plenty of water pumps on the way, got to keep drinking.

On a slightly unrelated note, check out some vid's by 'Merino Dayz' on YouTube to do with the hunger/thirst/blood/health jobbie, they changed the way I manage my inventory and it means I don't have to waste valuable ammo space on carrying beans! I now permenantly have the 'healthy' status indicator, and in my minor skirmish earlier I managed to go straight back to 'healthy' within a few minutes.

Edited by Green Machine

The third guy tried to hold me up, when I do it to people I am always very nice about it this guy was blatently going to kill me. For some reason he thinks its safer to get me to drop my M4, which was previously on my back (big mistake), as soon as I got it in hands I dived left spun round and emptied 30rnds into him! he managed to get 1 .357rnd off, but missed me thank fuck!

woow, you got lucky man! the magnum is a one shot kill atm!