Murakamo

DayZ is NOT fun for new players, which makes me worried.

Considering most people just KOS on sight (the bandwagon that I am joining :D)  new players for fun, I can see his perspective.

No interaction at all.  Just a douchebag shooting a naked guy and laughing with his friends.

Considering most people just KOS on sight (the bandwagon that I am joining :D)  new players for fun, I can see his perspective.

No interaction at all.  Just a douchebag shooting a naked guy and laughing with his friends.

Well let's be honest...what on earth makes people think that a bandit in a post apocalyptic zombie world is going to interact with his prey

"Oh hi there. Would you like to go out for dinner before I shoot you?"

KoSing is just a natural part of the game, even if it is a fully geared guy shooting a fresh spawn. I mean I hate that it's like that, but hey, we all knew what we were getting ourselves into xD

I think it's fine as is. If my twelve year old son can describe his surroundings for me well enough to find him after logging in for the very first time, surely your friend can. I mean, my kid's smart, but c'mon, he's twelve.

DayZ:SA isn't for everyone. It's for the type of gamer who doesn't want tutorials, help menus, or on-screen displays assisting them. If it ever becomes that, then DayZ:SA will quickly have my mosin and letter of resignation sitting neatly on its desk.

#survivetheapocalypse

Sorry but the experience of one of your friends does not qualify you to make the broad statement that DayZ is not fun for new players.

Try increasing your sample size a little bit....

Sorry but the experience of one of your friends does not qualify you to make the broad statement that DayZ is not fun for new players.

Try increasing your sample size a little bit....

Fair statement. But I think he kind of inflects that it's more of a concern than an actual fact he is trying to make xD

Well - there's is a lack of basic tutorial on controls. People need to learn to operate by themselves. Alpha is bad for new players. I had 5 friends to buy dayz sa and only 2 of them are playing it somewhat actively - mostly only when i am online. 

They spawn

They are confused with controls

Don't know how to sprint - sometimes clicks right mouse button on toggles the walk mode and dont know how they got into it or how to get out of it.

Get spawn killed by coast bandits.

Get frustrated by no loot cause everything has been looted. but hey - they don't know that. For them - they are in empty world and they just die. 

DayZ SA is frustrating for new players without proper introduction. I think there should be a tutorial button that opens a windows with embedded short YouTube video that describes the basic controls and objectives. That of course would't solve the problem as whole - but at least it would be a step into the right direction.

The game needs to 'fit like a glove' - otherwise new players will just change to another one that fits. simple as that. 

Edited by sYs

I never played the mod, I jumped straight into SA. I think yours may be a unique scenario in which your friend just wasn't interested, because it clicked for me within the first 2 hours

• Like 1

Fun is another one of those words that's really an opinion no matter wat it is. I find things that are challenging fun, a lot of ppl would say I'm crazy. Now this game is really not for everyone. It's not a game where u cruise down the beach with your boys and your bitches sipping alcohol. It's a survior game, and part of surving is getting use to the mechanincs. Have you thought maybe trying to make your friend meet with you is actually ruining his experience. Let him be in the world of dayz for a lil. Tell him the basics how to navigate using signs and things like the coast. Let him get use to the game play and all of it's mechanics. Meeting you later and teaming up will be much more rewarding for him.

I never played the mod, I jumped straight into SA. I think yours may be a unique scenario in which your friend just wasn't interested, because it clicked for me within the first 2 hours

This game tends to reward critical thinkers, I have noticed

I can understand your friend's frustration: I wasn't having boatloads of fun when I first started, but it grew on me really quickly. I was hesitant to start another "running around game" (I gave up Skyrim out of boredom), but something about this game stuck with me.

Hopefully he'll give it a couple more tries, then the bug will bite him. ;)

Best. Video. Ever.

Edited by sacrdandprofne

I bought the game while I had my brother and friend over just because it sounded badass.  Ive played fallout 3, skyrim, and new vegas and gotta say I love minecraft.  What could be better then a mix of all 4, a survival sandbox where there are no rules, be a dick, be a hero that's killed by a dick, or just hide in the woods.  I will say that first time I got into a game I was killed in about 10 min by a guy with a gun. it was really frustrating but I didn't anger log, at that point I was curious why he would kill me, I don't think it was for my flashlight, which took me an hour to figure out... lol  So I kept at it because it was intriguing, yes frustrating to new players, but like others have said, we don't want those new players if they cant figure things out for themselves and have fun with it.  Way to many games have been ruined because the creators try to appeal to a crowd that's not the base, like the republican party is doing now.  pissing off there base by changing the core reason of being one and appealing to the wrong F***ing people.  Love the game, fix the bugs and it will thrive. =D

Sorry for the political reference...

• Like 2

Im a new Dayz player, never played the mod or arma's. Never, i enjoy the shit out of Dayz !

Only thing i found hard was the settings, but as every good gamer, i change my settings so they look like all my other settings in BF4, Warz, CS etc. So i dont got all these random commands on random buttons, that helps alot to.

Also, there is a map you can use to guide around? Also if u spawn by the coast run left = elektro. run right = Lumbermill Berezino etc.

Honestly if u can figure this game out pretty fast, you shouldnt be playing it at all.

I now had the game for slighty 1 month i think? and i know where all the gear spawns, where people camp etc. Honestly use some time, instead of just noobing around and u learn the game quick and easy.

Even did not read tread-creator's post, never played arma/dayzmod etc. buyed, and still enjoy, do not think for dumb ppl, they will whine everywhere, do not care about them and everything will be great

I'm a new player myself too with ~90 of gameplay on SA. The first 10-20hours was relatively hard for me, particularly in terms of finding loot. Then I started reading tutorials and wikis making my experience more joyful.

In addition, I have a very good perception in adapting (and exploiting) game's mechanics in my favor.

Easy game I would say.

DayZ reminds the Da Vinci Code book. Where people who have read this book think they know everything about conspiracies and secret societies. Accordingly DayZ veterans think they are a synonym of real life hard manhood. lol

Edited by SyL3X

There're three major reasons which create it unique somehow and difficult for nubs, perhaps confusing the first months.

1. Map size.

2. Foreign/russian language on road signs.

3. You need to plan to meet someone in-game, which could take hours and will end up in the category (time issues; it will help with cars, planes, which is not implemented yet.)

Edited by Ori42

Coming from the mod...I DO agree that it should tell you where you spawn as opposed to NOT doing that.

But I do not think it would be good to have people being able to spawn together.

I don't agree; it's easier to camp certain places on the map without any careful in-game plans how to meet, and such easy mode options will be

exploited.

Edited; maybe spawn, but not 'summon' someone.

Edited by Ori42

Even did not read tread-creator's post, never played arma/dayzmod etc. buyed, and still enjoy, do not think for dumb ppl, they will whine everywhere, do not care about them and everything will be great

This. I, myself, never played the mod and I love this game. I even think of not having cars cause I am worried about the map shrinking because of them :]

DayZ is NOT fun for 9 year old players, which makes me AS HAPPY AS A PIG IN SH@T..

Edited by zaphodity

Dude DayZ is awesome just the way it is. One of my firsts experiences in this game was I went into a night server and was walking around in the forest with my flashlight (a no no I learned now). It was like 3 or 4 guys (couldn't tell) but they started playing this REALLY creepy like devil, hell sounds music. I mean it was so creepy I was freaked out. I started shining my flashlight in every direction and eventually it hit one of them. He scared the crap out of me. Then I was moving it around more and the others were like running around near the trees and in and out of my flashlight beam. It was the most awesome setup by bandits  I've ever seen. Long story short they killed me but it was an awesome experience. The game can be very rewarding when people play it like it was meant to be played. Stuff like that story I just told you sticks with me more than a game of Battlefield ever would. I told my wife about what those guys did to me. After they killed me I took my headset off and was freaked out. Op when that guy killed you why didn't you talk to him? Sometimes you can talk your way out of being murdered. DayZ is a very social game which is why so many people love it. Theres betrayal, luck, friendship, trust. All these human conditions exists in this game. You can't find that anywhere else in a game.

Normaly i dont post in forums but here i had to, I am a new player, (never played arma or other shooter games, unless you count mechwarrior) only with 34 hours of play time atm.  My freinds told me about the game and at first i was no way i wanted to play it. after about a week of talking me into it, i gave in and bought it.  All i can say is WOW. I have never played a game that is so dang intensed before. as for it not being new player freindly, i love the challage of trying to meet up with my friends and  trying to get out of dodge with out a target on my back.  This is first time i have played a game where my military training is comeing back (and i been out of the army damn near 20 years now)  So 34 hours of play time and i still have the starter toon i started with. (didnt know about the custom of toons till after i launched). so yea, havent died yet, killed a few thousand zombies and a couple of players that was gunning for me. and have saved a person that had zombies chasen em (needless to say he/she loged fast, prob thought i was shooting at them). I aint the type to shoot first, but i try not to be in a spot where they can get the drop on me first.

So as a new player, i say dont change the starting point, and dont make it easer.

I disagree that DayZ not fun for new players - when I was new I had loads of fun, as did many others.

It's not an accessible game for sure, but it rewards knowledge of the game and doesn't give out prizes for taking part. But that's what's so great about it and what makes it stand apart from the majority of big games on the market.

We were all new players once before. I never played the mod, so when I started playing the standalone I was pretty lost and didn't really know what to do. Luckily, I had members of my clan walk me through and I used the map on dayzdb.com to help navigate and know what city I'm in. Pretty soon I got the hang of the game and now I can quickly get a fully geared character with plenty of guns and ammo (within 4 hours). Recently, after the update a friend of mine and I came across a couple of bambis who were completely new to the game, so we helped guided them and gave them advice on what to do in game (instead of killing them on sight). I think it's fine how it is, besides a few character killing bugs of course, but those will get fixed in due time.

I just got this game not too long ago, and the only relation I have to it is playing Arma II for a short time. Never played the mod, however I have watched quite a number of videos from the mod so I've got a good idea on what to do, where to go, etc. Just for the record, I'm not one of those Shoot on Sight pansies. It can be quite vigorous at first but in time it gets easier and more enjoyable. Once they implement vehicles and ways of faster transportation there really won't be a point in the "friend-spawn" idea - though I would love to see something like that put in. If your friend can't quite "get in the groove" at the moment, just wait until the game progresses further and try at it again. Honestly this running 2-3 hours to find someone is something intended to make the game seem more "survivalistic" if you will; However all we can do at the moment is just keep throwing the devs ideas, and maybe something will be implemented later on in the future to make things a little easier (While other parts will have to be harder to make up for it I'm sure).

Well if you can convince your friend to give it some more time next time he spawns new have him put the ocean at one of his shoulders get himself inside the tree line so he can still see the road and have him start travelling.  Soon enough he will hit an easy landmark like the factory at Solnichniy or the orchard at Nizhnoye, outskirts of Elektro (apologize if I butchered those).  Then you can move to meet him. 

If hes not getting too frustrated I'd forego using the online map it was a great feeling when you finally started recognizing where you were.

Also for the record not a fan of spawning together too much fun in the journey