Murakamo

DayZ is NOT fun for new players, which makes me worried.

I think you just described you this game should be... (working as intented)
New spawn should be disoriented, clueless where he is.
You should die if you dont pay attention, I bet you guys werent carefull enough.

Also this is not game for everyone, people from cod/bf action wont necessarily find it very entertaining

I dont mind friends SPAWNING at the same location, doesnt hurt anybody... I dont think anyone would ask spawning ON to someone, that would be just stupid..

Edited by Zeppa
  • Like 1

Depends what you mean by "fun".  If new players want to just jump into the shit and start killing zombies and players, this isn't the game.  If you want to wake up on a beach with no idea where you are, sneak around a barren wilderness/towns for hours like you are the last man on Earth and experience the sheer terror of not knowing if those three dots in the distance is going to shoot you or chase you down and eat you, this is more your speed.

Edited by bfisher
  • Like 1

Sounds like your friend needs to learn cardinal directions and take it from there.  Use the natural tools given to you to determine where you are going.

Major problem is the excessive usage of firearms. When people get the guns and ammunition start to shoot people on sight. And the game becomes a survival deathmatch. 

Solution is simple imo. First of all there should be more zombies and zombies should offer a serious threat for players by their numbers and skills. 

Second firearms should be rare and most of them should be basic civilian grade weapons like basic double barrell shotguns, hunting rifles. Military grade weapons and especially high end sniper rifles should be extremely rare. And ammunuition for all those guns should be rare. If you increase the zombie threat and offer less guns then people become more talkative and form groups for raids to get better loots and discover larger settlements.

As a new player i just only see people shoot each other. Mostly i hear only gunshots and mindless new spawn hunting around. And imo i know the game is still in Alpha stage but if the things goes like that game gets harm by such a pointless hostility between player base. And it becomes like spawn, find a base, infiltrate, server hop and find a empty one and loop until you get the military gear and shoot people afterwards. And such a circle just consumes the replay value of DayZ.

My two cents, 

• Like 1

I think the *only* concession we could possibly give new players is a command tutorial. What button does what.

Even that is unnecessary though, as you can just go to the control settings and see for yourself (does any PC gamer not know how to do this?).

Outside of that, this game doesn't need to get any easier.  As I mentioned on page 1, I'm a totally new DayZ player.  I feel like I have it down.  I'm creeping around looting and killing with the best of them.

If you're really struggling and need to demystify the game a bit, there are two things you need.

The first is the DayZdb map.  No player should be without it.  It doesn't cheat for you, as you may not have any clue of your sense of direction without a compass anyway (and the fact that the sun is positioned wrong).

http://dayzdb.com/map/chernarusplus

And the second, if you are having trouble understanding how your stomach/hydration/energy/blood/health work, you need to watch Merino's brilliantly made video explaining how the system works.  After watching it you'll have zero questions as to how you can regenerate blood and health.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVGxHTXbaoo

Otherwise the game is perfect (in concept, obviously we have alpha flaws).

• Like 1

I think the *only* concession we could possibly give new players is a command tutorial. What button does what.

Even that is unnecessary though, as you can just go to the control settings and see for yourself (does any PC gamer not know how to do this?).

Outside of that, this game doesn't need to get any easier.  As I mentioned on page 1, I'm a totally new DayZ player.  I feel like I have it down.  I'm creeping around looting and killing with the best of them.

If you're really struggling and need to demystify the game a bit, there are two things you need.

The first is the DayZdb map.  No player should be without it.  It doesn't cheat for you, as you may not have any clue of your sense of direction without a compass anyway (and the fact that the sun is positioned wrong).

http://dayzdb.com/map/chernarusplus

And the second, if you are having trouble understanding how your stomach/hydration/energy/blood/health work, you need to watch Merino's brilliantly made video explaining how the system works.  After watching it you'll have zero questions as to how you can regenerate blood and health.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVGxHTXbaoo

Otherwise the game is perfect (in concept, obviously we have alpha flaws).

"You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day"

:beans:

• Like 1

Trying to meet with friend who never played before? Easy!

"ok follow the road along the shore until you see buildings. There should be a sign with the name of the town. Describe the letters on that sign"

Go to dayzdb.com and look for the town. Tell him which direction to run from there. If he's on the eastern coast, looking onto the water, left is North right is South.

Boom, meet up time!

"You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day"

:beans:

I'll take "thoughtful beans" any day :)

I would be interested to know what kind of games your friends play.  This is a unique game in which some of us gamers have been waiting for a long time.  We have played the FPS games, RTS games, we even played the spelling games not to mention the Indie releases over the years.

Some "gamers" are just not ready for a simulation of this kind.

Having to change any unique game dynamics because new gamers are having difficulty is beyond a joke.  Players need to enter the worlds of games as they are and change it from within not find a reason to change the games basic functions.

Gamers, thousands of games out there and still they try to change what they don't like.

This game is not for everyone and secondly remember this is only the Alpha stage and is therefore missing any game intro, character intro or any start game dialogue.

You press play, you spawn and you survive.

If you spawn on the coast, find a road sign and inform you team mate... you can then either remember where that is on the coast and run to them or if you really don't know and wish to ruin the fun of "adventure" then you can use some of the various web-browser based maps of Chernerus.

I personally liked knowing where I am, looking for signs and trying to remember locations.

My last spawn I was in the middle of no where and decided to head NW with only a compass to guide me, I ran past the NWAF and ended up on the edge of the map, turned around and found it, then I went south east and then south west and finally found the locations I was aiming for while searching towns along the way.

If you want to find towns, best to follow the roads inland and avoid the big cities, but try not to run on the road but off to one side in the trees keeping an eye out.

Outside of what i saw of the mod on Twitch, i knew nothing of the game. When i saw it on steam, i knew a new gaming experience for myself had arrived. i have yet to be disappointed in this game, some 70 hours later.

Things you should know first. Give the game a second chance with your friend. pick a low populated server, one with civil or pve in the description is best, as most players there are focused on loot, and not you.

once you both spawn, forget about meeting each other for now, find a damned well. drink till you get the full message. what good is finding each other if your both starving and dehydrated because you didnt take the time to prepare.

hit a few buildings, find a few cans of food if able. Tuna, rice, cereal, powdered milk, and fresh fruit are ideal, due to them not needing a can opener. head north to the next town asap. the wind always blows to the east, so look to the sky, see which way the clouds are blowing. stay in the tree lines off to the side of the road, as this is good practice for populated servers. once you both have gone north by about two towns, then work your way to each other. pick up any form of axe that you come across, as well as a mosin rifle, canteen, waterbottles, backpack, storagespace clothing, etc. dont bother with zombies unless you have an axe. a baseball bat to the head works well, however its best to just avoid them if you cannot properly defend yourself.

when you two finally do meet, you will both be prepared, and better off then sharing a busted open can of beans to get you to the next town.if you do spot another player, stay out of sight. just good to practice this when able.

this game is very enjoyable for new players, you just need to take the same precautions you would in real life. health first, friends second. avoid people, yadda yadda.

Neither I nor my girlfriend had ever played the mod, or any incarnation of Arma.  We bought the game off steam on a whim, and love it.

We even rented our own server.

So...no, I don't think it's a matter of being fun to new players- it's just going to appeal to some more than others, regardless of their history.  

It's like Cherry Coke.  Some people will like it, some people hate it.  Doesn't matter if they're a fan of regular Coke to begin with.  

• Like 2

There is no reason why this game cant remove frustrating factors and maintain its hardcore feel. And to those who say we dont want the type of player that isnt like us let me say this. Eventually you have done it all a hundred times over and you will get bored without new content. Guess who pays for that? A steady stream of new players. You paid for development they pay for updates after gold.

Neither I nor my girlfriend had ever played the mod, or any incarnation of Arma.  We bought the game off steam on a whim, and love it.

We even rented our own server.

So...no, I don't think it's a matter of being fun to new players- it's just going to appeal to some more than others, regardless of their history.  

It's like Cherry Coke.  Some people will like it, some people hate it.  Doesn't matter if they're a fan of regular Coke to begin with.  

you lucky man i need to get my fiance to play something with me, i almost got her into D&D lol

regarding the topic, like many others said the game is not for everyone. Take my brother for example when he started playing me and my friend had a base and all going with a car and we were looting for gear up north, my brother played on and off and once he get on and asked for a ride we couldnt because we were on a look out to kill other players. We were on it for 20-30 mins, so my lazy brother didnt want to run that and was too impatient so he went on looting on the coast by berezino and was killed by a dude. he went to play WOW after that lol......bottom dayz is not for everyone.....

I'd like to see a group spawn feature implemented tbh. Perhaps any in group  not currently alive could be sent an invite to spawn together(would be pretty handy for a squad wipe as well)  could just Cap allied spawns at 2-3 or some low number or maybe limit 1 group spawn per 24 hrs or something. .. As much as I love the sheer cruelty that goes along with this game, the OP is right, There needs to be a few social tools in place to aid those who are more interested in just casually surviving with their buddies,otherwise you'll just push away potential player/customers.

As a totally new player...watched many vids but waited for the SA before buying I would say that I relish many of challenges in Day Z...

Sure when you're lost, and playing:

"JOG SIM 2014"

its not really "fun"

...but you know..eventually you'll learn something from getting lost...so while it was kinda boring to jog through the woods for 45 real life minutes...i did eventually find something and learned from it.

The only thing that has put me off so far is the painful way in which you interact with things...whether its the pixel hunting while trying to pick up that rotten kiwi or the horrible mouse lag....those aren't fun...

But I also know its alpha...and hopefully some of it will be improved...as other than the way in which you interact with things...its really a lot of fun.

Have tried not to KOS (trying to be hero, i  know im a fool..), but have had to defend myself a few times when interacting with others. So far only one player has not tried to kill me...we just waved and carried on...was pretty funny.

Now if I see a new spawn...I let them see me...then drop a care package in the road...so if you've ever found a water bottle and beans in the middle of the road...

you're welcome.

New players put off?

Nah...its fun...

just not a game that you pick up in 20 seconds...its a game that requires some time and thought investment...that..might put people off...but thats probably a good thing...and honestly...thats part of what makes it good...

that investment in time is paid off in the sense of accomplishment of finding your first Mosin....

And its slightly a lunch bag let down when you then lose your mosin when you (glitch) fall off a ladder and die without firing a shot out of your new gun...lol..

Welcome to DayZ Alpha...

The game isn't for everyone, simple as that. And it won't be dumbed down or made casual either so forget it.

This game shouldn't be easy for new players.  A new players' initial reaction to DayZ should be something along the lines of, "Man, screw this.  This is some f'ing bullshit." ...and then they spend another 4-8 hours playing it as they continue to complain. :P

There needs to be a few social tools in place to aid those who are more interested in just casually surviving with their buddies,otherwise you'll just push away potential player/customers.

Some players will be pushed away, others will be attracted. Not every game is for every person and a surefire route to failure is just trying to implement things to make the most people happy.

In this case, Dean has emphasized over and over how he wants new players to feel alone, scared, isolated, threatened, etc. Don't ever expect a "spawn with buddies" option.

I never play something like this. I play this game for like 40 hours. Im very ... very ... very bad descripting locations etc.. When i spawned i need 10-15 min to find where am i. And after i find that and find some stuff 'weapon, clothes) too i be killed by a player. And i know this is only Alpha version.

But its FUCKING awesome and i like it so much! For alpha version this game is so real i dont have words.

In this case, Dean has emphasized over and over how he wants new players to feel alone, scared, isolated, threatened, etc.

He feeds off fear, anxiety, and minced tiger cubs.

A lot of people have touched on this concept, but it really is all about the person playing the game. 50% of the gamer population right off the bat if there was a demo for the game would not buy DayZ (talking about people who did not purchase Alpha) because it is an anti-game sandbox that is extremely tough. There is no help unless you have a dedicated friend and you yourself are dedicated enough to learn it. The learning curve for this game is about a week of playing the game if you like the game, if not then yes, running around for hours can seem wasteful for you and may take you months to get far enough to enjoy the game then you die 2 days later and ragequit. When you can die with a full kit of stuff and were doing pretty well and can say oh look, fresh spawn woot, THEN you can officially say you are a hardcore player pf the game. 

Just so we are clear...Dean himself warned about new players to NOT buy the game in its current state because likely you wont like it unless you are a hardcore fan.

Edited by Crend

As a first time user (me and the wife installed this last night for the first time) this is totally what we expected plus some. It was made very clear that the game is in early alpha, we watched a few youtube vids to see what it was like, etc. I'm not sure whether looking at the map on another screen is cheating but as soon as you come across a town, read the name, look at the roads - you can find your location pretty sweet. I dont think this is not too hard to get your head around, the few small challenges are what makes this game different from everything else out there.