Sign in to follow this  
Hetstaine

All the 1st ranters

You can get your chest off in here anytime Dallas ;)

• Like 3

I usually prefer the fp but, for me, it's barely playable until they fix the mouse acceleration option.

This.

Also, it just turned weekend. Haven't had a chance to load it up yet. Yes, I'm a senior gamer and must maintain full employment.

It is simple hilarious that all you 1PP Hardcore PvPers are so het up about us 3PP players. You've now got your own 1PP servers to go play on. But no, you're still getting on the 3PP servers to gear up, and whinging like little school girls because everyone isn't forced to see the world your way.

So what am I to take from that. Well, for one it seems like you're only interested in 1PP only when it suits your own purpose. Get off the 3PP servers and get on the 1PP ones and live or die there; i.e. prove you are as hardcore as you say you are, or jump on the 3PPs with the rest of us pussies and calm the f'k down.

EDIT: Sry, I seem to be able to type faster than I can spell.

Edited by DJPorterNZ
  • Like 1

I kind of don't care now really. I'm just waiting for a hardcore Finnish server :D

Played for a couple hours on a FP only server. It IS awesome, for me it was about a thousand times more intense. I loved it. Well, I ALMOST loved it. I WANTED to love it. But the controls...

I get the inherent clunkiness that's been present in the ARMA series where your motions are meant to carry weight and heft and momentum etc., I rather like it, but I'll be damned if I could get my settings for controlling my mouse to behave in a consistent and rational way. I spent an hour messing with every setting I could in game, in Windows and in my mouse's driver set, but I just could not find any configuration that made playing in first-person enjoyable for me. I'm sad about that, I really am.

Edited by DustyMonolith

I kind of don't care now really. I'm just waiting for a hardcore Finnish server :D

Mmmmm... Finnish Hardcore... 

Edited by DJPorterNZ
  • Like 1

I find 1st only to be somewhat of a bandwagon for hardcore's to jump on.  Loads rant they want it, none hardly play it after a bit.  I personally like 1st only but I also like to have player interactions so I am stuck with playing normal....Sue me.

And this attitude is why they need to either nix 3rd person completely for the good of the game or somehow fix the shit out of it.

I certainly don't expect that to happen but this mindset sucks because most people feel that way. that they like 1st person but prefer more people in a server over a dead server... and then it just snowballs exponentially from there.

Some issues im having with 1st. I do like it a little more, but it could be a much, much better experience, while keeping in line with realism and non COD gameplay. Hope these are worked on. Copy/pasted:

1. Mouse panning speed limit. I've been playing Arma since OFP1 and i've gotten used to the concept of slowing your body movement down, but the head movement is just too slow. Look around yourself, in the comfort of your own home and see if you can comfortably turn your head around, looking around, faster than in-game. The game is supposed to represent a survival situation and combat, where your life is on the line and the adrenaline is pumping, you would be able to look around much quicker, ignoring even discomfort, which i don't there would be anyway. I see no reason to restrict the head movement speed to the amount that it is. It makes it a little tedious and i'd like them to increase it quite a bit, but perhaps not eliminate it entirely.

2. Body turning speed limit when unarmed too much. I officially have gotten a little dizzy when going through the massive amount of houses we must to look for food. I like the amount of houses we must search, but it would really help if the body turning speed while unarmed was faster too. I think it should match the armed speed. It would also give you higher and quicker situational awareness. I think what is most annoying about it is how the human eye works. We don't scan over the environment in a line, as we pan around our eyes go from place to place, sitting there for a moment, then moving on. The problem with panning slow in relation to this is that my eyes want to move quickly to one area that is static, then the next, and so on, but because it takes so long to pan, my eye keep trying to examine a moving image on a 60hz screen running at a low fps with vsync off (tearing) that it constantly panning around trying to catch up with the desired movement. For body turning speed, it is usually a compromise between the intended purpose of turning your body around, OR the purpose of looking around with your head. However since the body and the head can also work together to look around even quicker, i think the body turning speed should at least match the turning speed while armed. There is a lot of headroom for quickening it up before the combat mechanics turn into COD.

3. Peeking over tall walls was definitely unrealistic. But, in my opinion using 3rd to peek around the side of a corner WAS realistic in many situations, simply because it simulated slowly leaning out and putting the slightest bit of your eye around the corner to take a quick peek (not aiming). 3rd person also simulated putting your eye right up against a small crack in the wall/fence and getting a good view with that. However in Arma, leaning/looking around is really jerky and it would be nice if there was a movement key to hold down and slowly control the panning of your character, moving UP on the tips of your toes as well. IF you had more precise control 1st uses could have more natural situational awareness and make it easier and safer to sneak around and track players.

4. Jerky 1st person movement in general. This causes a lot of small problems for me, from dizzyness to safety issues, to making it harder to track players closely. This is being worked on, but heres good some reasons to really refine it if we can.

a.) Holding a weapon upright and moving forward causes the view to surge forward a bit too fast, just the head i think. Its a little awkward and makes me dizzy sometimes

b.) Too much full-stopping between sequential movements. Theres a lot of these here and there.

c.) Small delays here and there where there shouldn't really be. For example, when crouch walking forward and transitioning to forward-right there is a delay in the screen moving right when i think there shouldn't be really since in real life you would start leaning in that direction, even if only slightly, regardless of which foot was planted. Just a bit smoother really. Again, we don't want full control COD as-fast-as-your-mouse/screen-can-move, just a bit closer to less relaxed, "combat-ready" movement.

• Like 2

And this attitude is why they need to either nix 3rd person completely for the good of the game or somehow fix the shit out of it.

by adding a fog of war view from behind?

Played for a couple hours on a FP only server. It IS awesome, for me it was about a thousand times more intense. I loved it. Well, I ALMOST loved it. I WANTED to love it. But the controls...

I get the inherent clunkiness that's been present in the ARMA series where your motions are meant to carry weight and heft and momentum etc., I rather like it, but I'll be damned if I could get my settings for controlling my mouse to behave in a consistent and rational way. I spent an hour messing with every setting I could in game, in Windows and in my mouse's driver set, but I just could not find any configuration that made playing in first-person enjoyable for me. I'm sad about that, I really am.

It's the whole weapon handling game mechanic that is hindering you finding your perfect configuration. They're trying to make guns and stuff handle differently by screwing with the mouse control. For example, if you have the cqb buttstock for the m4, I've heard you can move it around easier.

Edited by bad_mojo

i play 1st on 3rd-enabled servers. because i am an old, arrogant, smug, overbearing drunkard smartass. meaning i can.

edit: i agree though that the controls are hell on earth and whoever concieved them deserves to be tied up, covered in rotten tuna and thrown into a pit with starving cheetahs

Edited by e47
  • Like 3

Maybe Steam could sell two different versions of DayZ, ones for the n00bs and obvious cheaters like me and one for the purist hardcore, who prefers to play alone.

Sorry for the hi-jack Hest. I just had to get it off my chest.

I will put up a poll for you, its the only way for Dean to notice such great input.

• Like 2

Some issues im having with 1st. I do like it a little more, but it could be a much, much better experience, while keeping in line with realism and non COD gameplay. Hope these are worked on. Copy/pasted:

1. Mouse panning speed limit. I've been playing Arma since OFP1 and i've gotten used to the concept of slowing your body movement down, but the head movement is just too slow. Look around yourself, in the comfort of your own home and see if you can comfortably turn your head around, looking around, faster than in-game. The game is supposed to represent a survival situation and combat, where your life is on the line and the adrenaline is pumping, you would be able to look around much quicker, ignoring even discomfort, which i don't there would be anyway. I see no reason to restrict the head movement speed to the amount that it is. It makes it a little tedious and i'd like them to increase it quite a bit, but perhaps not eliminate it entirely.

2. Body turning speed limit when unarmed too much. I officially have gotten a little dizzy when going through the massive amount of houses we must to look for food. I like the amount of houses we must search, but it would really help if the body turning speed while unarmed was faster too. I think it should match the armed speed. It would also give you higher and quicker situational awareness. I think what is most annoying about it is how the human eye works. We don't scan over the environment in a line, as we pan around our eyes go from place to place, sitting there for a moment, then moving on. The problem with panning slow in relation to this is that my eyes want to move quickly to one area that is static, then the next, and so on, but because it takes so long to pan, my eye keep trying to examine a moving image on a 60hz screen running at a low fps with vsync off (tearing) that it constantly panning around trying to catch up with the desired movement. For body turning speed, it is usually a compromise between the intended purpose of turning your body around, OR the purpose of looking around with your head. However since the body and the head can also work together to look around even quicker, i think the body turning speed should at least match the turning speed while armed. There is a lot of headroom for quickening it up before the combat mechanics turn into COD.

3. Peeking over tall walls was definitely unrealistic. But, in my opinion using 3rd to peek around the side of a corner WAS realistic in many situations, simply because it simulated slowly leaning out and putting the slightest bit of your eye around the corner to take a quick peek (not aiming). 3rd person also simulated putting your eye right up against a small crack in the wall/fence and getting a good view with that. However in Arma, leaning/looking around is really jerky and it would be nice if there was a movement key to hold down and slowly control the panning of your character, moving UP on the tips of your toes as well. IF you had more precise control 1st uses could have more natural situational awareness and make it easier and safer to sneak around and track players.

4. Jerky 1st person movement in general. This causes a lot of small problems for me, from dizzyness to safety issues, to making it harder to track players closely. This is being worked on, but heres good some reasons to really refine it if we can.

a.) Holding a weapon upright and moving forward causes the view to surge forward a bit too fast, just the head i think. Its a little awkward and makes me dizzy sometimes

b.) Too much full-stopping between sequential movements. Theres a lot of these here and there.

c.) Small delays here and there where there shouldn't really be. For example, when crouch walking forward and transitioning to forward-right there is a delay in the screen moving right when i think there shouldn't be really since in real life you would start leaning in that direction, even if only slightly, regardless of which foot was planted. Just a bit smoother really. Again, we don't want full control COD as-fast-as-your-mouse/screen-can-move, just a bit closer to less relaxed, "combat-ready" movement.

How good is your pc ? I don't deem to get any of those issues besides the occasional stupid double step forward arma carryover. I am wondering if you are lagging/stuttering a lot ?

I get super smooth and well quick enough head/body movement. I change my dpi up and down a bit as well depending on the situation, especially when scoping/looking at a distance. Maybe i have been playing 1st for long that for me 3rd seems clunky :) I have been in 3rd in the SA since release obviously but coming back to 1st servers feels like home.

Another thing is since about 2002ish i have always used only the right hand side of the keyboard for everything, arrows for movement, right ctrl and shift for crouch and sprint, 0 (ins) for stand, numpad 1 for prone, del/pgedwn for corner look and then numpad for look left , right, left back and right back etc. It is a combo that i keep for all games so is instantly familiar and comfortable. As well as having a mouse with enough buttons for inventory, reloading etc.

Everything is grouped nice and tight around my left hand and there is no darting anywhere on the keyboard for a key in a panic situation. If you don't have a nice comfortable setup then 1st is probably not going to be enjoyable.

At least you gave it a crack :thumbsup:

How good is your pc ? I don't deem to get any of those issues besides the occasional stupid double step forward arma carryover. I am wondering if you are lagging/stuttering a lot ?

I get super smooth and well quick enough head/body movement. I change my dpi up and down a bit as well depending on the situation, especially when scoping/looking at a distance. Maybe i have been playing 1st for long that for me 3rd seems clunky :) I have been in 3rd in the SA since release obviously but coming back to 1st servers feels like home.

Another thing is since about 2002ish i have always used only the right hand side of the keyboard for everything, arrows for movement, right ctrl and shift for crouch and sprint, 0 (ins) for stand, numpad 1 for prone, del/pgedwn for corner look and then numpad for look left , right, left back and right back etc. It is a combo that i keep for all games so is instantly familiar and comfortable. As well as having a mouse with enough buttons for inventory, reloading etc.

Everything is grouped nice and tight around my left hand and there is no darting anywhere on the keyboard for a key in a panic situation. If you don't have a nice comfortable setup then 1st is probably not going to be enjoyable.

At least you gave it a crack :thumbsup:

I set up the same which means extensive key bind editing every new game I play which is a little annoying.

I thought it would of been handy to copy over the mod binds as an option during install.

Maybe I'm just lazy.

Yeah i don't even go into a game until i have played around with the keyboard settings first and had a good look at what is on offer.

is plenty full server out there ;)

every time I play I finding several :thumbsup:  :)

maybe in Australia guys don't have stomach for this :blush:

here is screenshot of server on Saturday afternoon always quiet time for dayz compare with EU evening with shoppings football womans etc compete for man time

but is look more busy than peak time in mod

t6otci.png

Russian like in mod leading way for badass 3PP:OFF ;)

german and british also always doing strong represent :thumbsup:  :)

I think maybe name of topic need change

'All the Oz/Kiwi 1st person ranters' :P

Edited by KoS
  • Like 1

Mmmmm... Finnish Hardcore... 

Well that hardcore is the worst you can find on this planet :lol: