Slyguy65

Rewarding players for actually staying alive and surviving.

Cool to see the idea is well liked I was actually expecting a lot of BS responses about how a progression system would be stupid or something but glad I was wrong.

we had this discussions before, as many of you probably remember. rewarding survival without throwing out game balance out of the window is of course not easily accomplished. i think the best sugestion ever in this regard was:

lets grow beards. (and maybe long hair for the female char models).

nothing is as rewarding, majestic and respect-inducing as a beard (or golden braids) to your hips

• Like 8

i love this post...but i bet it pisses off the pvp carebears...i know they are saying "hur dur derp your moving it away from pvp itllz ruinz de gamez derpa herpa derpa"

but i love it..make life valuable its what this game needs otherwise just toss it on the trash pile of many many other open world deathmatch games that tried to be something more and failed.

• Like 1

Great ideas! Incentives. Incentives! It's what this game sorely needs. Increased fortitude through adaptation. Bravo sir on your fine post.

I was going to make a thread with the same idea but you beat me to it. I think its defenitly good idea as long as the cap for improvements is not too big. Also once they implement weight system stamina should determine how long you can run while overweight and how much equipment you can carry before becoming overweight.

• Like 2

I like the idea of slight skill improvements. I could imagine ruining some items before finally being able to craft item X. However, it could get annoying (and thereby make life more valuable), if you had to ruin x items after every death until you are finally able to make use of your crafting-"skills".

Concerning AFK: for me, zombie hordes or the real threat of zombie attacks solve the problem...

Some well thought ideas here. I have to say this is one of the best and advanced suggestions I have read to really seperate DayZ from mindless shooter games.

My thoughts regarding perks not being for campers: Lets say f.e. stamina only increases if you sprint for a certain amount each day (3km for example). So it wouldnt increase while youre logged out or afk/camping but it would if you were actively improving it. Either by reaching certain amounts or having a level of progress but... I guess level and skills have been discussed before and many players don't like it for various aspects. "Soft" perks would be fine though, at least for me.

Well anyway, I have faith in rocket and his team. Dean said hes gonna make a hardcore zombie survival game for the ultimate DayZ experience that many people would probably not like. Imo this was a clear message to all  deathmatch players and I'm pretty confident he still aims to deliver on something that is not just a Free For All PVP game with full loot.

The reward for actually staying alive and surviving is.....

SURVIVING AND STAYING ALIVE

• Like 1

if staying alive wasn't easier then a childs puzzle game with the 5 blocks then maybe your argument would have a leg to stand on but sadly thats not the case.

If they made the ALPHA harder to stay alive people would not be playing it.  The whole reason why loot is plentiful right now is so you can witness the potential and dangers of not having those items while testing for bugs.  And no, you should not get rewards in a game that is about surviving.

Please also add:

You take more than 3000 in fall damage within the first fist 5 minutes of playing, you spawn on Skalisty Island.

You get killed by zombies within the first 5 minutes of playing, you spawn on Skalisty Island.

If you continue to kill yourself, you spawn in the water south of Skalisty Island in 500 meter increments.

• Like 2

lets grow beards. (and maybe long hair for the female char models).

nothing is as rewarding, majestic and respect-inducing as a beard (or golden braids) to your hips

This and nothing else would be enough for me.

• Like 2

EDIT*

To be clear since i see people poking holes. YOU DO NOT GET PASSIVE PERKS FROM DOING NOTHING.

This idea is meant to reward long term PLAYERS not afkers or campers who sit doing nothing.

If you want higher stamina YOU NEED TO RUN AND MOVE

If you want to craft better YOU HAVE TO CRAFT TO GET BETTER

If you want to train your body to conserve food YOU HAVE TO EAT LESS AND RUN MORE.

Stuff like that, ACTION is involved. Its called conditioning and adaption. The more you do an action the more proficient you become at it. I understand that wasn't clear but I was trying to be as vague as possible to leave it open ended.

It's sad you had to add that, thought it was pretty well implied. 

Solid ideas, it would add more depth and incentive to interact not just with people but with the environment more.

Edited by SpartanxApathy
  • Like 2

I like the idea of slight skill improvements. I could imagine ruining some items before finally being able to craft item X. However, it could get annoying (and thereby make life more valuable), if you had to ruin x items after every death until you are finally able to make use of your crafting-"skills".

Concerning AFK: for me, zombie hordes or the real threat of zombie attacks solve the problem...

No no no, nothing like that the quality of your crafted items would simply improve over more crafting attempts. Having them FAIL outright would be just overkill.

I would expect the dev-team to avoid all things like gaining virtual experience or improvement. Following the idealism from the mod to the standalone, the only thing to 'level' is you, playing your character: learning which tools to use for which cause, getting to know the area and the map etc.

Of course, this is almost impossible with resources like wikis or maps.

Great suggestions imho - I would welcome it. I just think it won't be implemented.

Why does it have to be time played to give you better stats.

It really should take on a Elder Scrolls type where;

Running gives you levels to... running (duh)

Using medical items makes you better at using only those specific items

Catch a cold? Surviving it should in reality give you a stronger immune system to combat it later on

Kill a deer? Get more meat out of it because you learn how to cut it up better. Make a coat out of it or hell a dagger out of bone to stab humans... err zombies.

The leveling process should be quick maybe three deer kills max... the odds of finding or living longer than that should be low... this is the apocalypse.

Running maybe three full days.

Endurance could actually stretch for quite a while.

But anyway apply that however you want. It should not just be a log in timed duration to level. That would be stupid for a sandbox with this potential.

Why does it have to be time played to give you better stats.

It really should take on a Elder Scrolls type where;

Running gives you levels to... running (duh)

Using medical items makes you better at using only those specific items

Catch a cold? Surviving it should in reality give you a stronger immune system to combat it later on

Kill a deer? Get more meat out of it because you learn how to cut it up better. Make a coat out of it or hell a dagger out of bone to stab humans... err zombies.

The leveling process should be quick maybe three deer kills max... the odds of finding or living longer than that should be low... this is the apocalypse.

Running maybe three full days.

Endurance could actually stretch for quite a while.

But anyway apply that however you want. It should not just be a log in timed duration to level. That would be stupid for a sandbox with this potential.

Read the big red text part of the OP.

I would expect the dev-team to avoid all things like gaining virtual experience or improvement. Following the idealism from the mod to the standalone, the only thing to 'level' is you, playing your character: learning which tools to use for which cause, getting to know the area and the map etc.

Of course, this is almost impossible with resources like wikis or maps.

Great suggestions imho - I would welcome it. I just think it won't be implemented.

This seems the case i have heard people try to tell me the only progression you get is learning as a player what does what in the game well that is redundant when you can go to a wiki before even playing the game and know how to do everything and anything in game.....

Im all for some sort of natural progression its realistic it adds value to life beyond gear and done right will make this game more than a COD game with 3rd person view and a large map (which most of the people not wanting the change dont use anyway cause there to busy spam killing on the coast).SO many people start thumping there chest and going thats not dayz thats not true to the mod well hello this is not a mod anymore its ,its own game now and well if you want the game just like the mod why did we buy a standalone??

Honestly if you want it to stay just like the mod why buy the game why not just play the mod cause as it stands now there is alot more in the mod the experience is far more complete in the mod currently. Here is rocket and his dev teams chance to make something an idea he had 2 years ago which hit the hype train and gained huge popularity as a death match game (glorified by youtubbers and the like) and i am pretty sure he never ment it to be played that way if he did why is he trying to add things to deter from the constant spawn loot then go shoot mentality why did he add capturing people why did he add destroying loot if you shoot it what do YOU think his intent was with such mechanics??

• Like 1

This seems the case i have heard people try to tell me the only progression you get is learning as a player what does what in the game well that is redundant when you can go to a wiki before even playing the game and know how to do everything and anything in game.....

Im all for some sort of natural progression its realistic it adds value to life beyond gear and done right will make this game more than a COD game with 3rd person view and a large map (which most of the people not wanting the change dont use anyway cause there to busy spam killing on the coast).SO many people start thumping there chest and going thats not dayz thats not true to the mod well hello this is not a mod anymore its ,its own game now and well if you want the game just like the mod why did we buy a standalone??

Honestly if you want it to stay just like the mod why buy the game why not just play the mod cause as it stands now there is alot more in the mod the experience is far more complete in the mod currently. Here is rocket and his dev teams chance to make something an idea he had 2 years ago which hit the hype train and gained huge popularity as a death match game (glorified by youtubbers and the like) and i am pretty sure he never ment it to be played that way if he did why is he trying to add things to deter from the constant spawn loot then go shoot mentality why did he add capturing people why did he add destroying loot if you shoot it what do YOU think his intent was with such mechanics??

i agree and dont let this thread get buried under the tons of pvp noob threads out there..

keep this thread at the front page guys its awesome.

Agreed.  Then it would be much more entertaining to watch people try and track/hunt that person down to end their increasing record (for the top slots).

As opposed to "how many bambis did I kill today".

Or, you know... Both? There should be no such thing as skills in the game. Make a poll and confirm my suspicion that most of the community feels like this.

Edited by Ratiasu

rat you have no idea really what your talking about...the only reason you think that is because max planck the so called mod goes around banning and deleting post about pve and such he does not like so you have to dig around to find anything...but whats funny every time he deletes something or bans someone over the pve thing the person he bans gets massive amounts of beans from the community...

so yes pve has a very vocal community in dayz its just been drown out because certain mods are biased towards pve and thoset certain mods only care about pvp...therefore threads get buried and posters get banned for posting what they want to see added outside of pvp...

rat do a little search brother...and killing bambi's should be punished..

Edited by soulesseye

So basically what you're saying is:

- Survive longer = get benefits.

Which means:

- Keep your character logged in and AFK in the middle of nowhere 24/7 when you're not playing =  get benefits

Which actually can be translated to:

- Have servers spammed with AFK bots = get benefits

Which in reality means:

- Great concept = terrible idea

No...

In the mod we had some text appear each time we logged in stating your location (Chernerus or Namalsk etc) along with Day 0 or Day 1, 2, 3 etc...

Ultimately I'd like to see male character growing beards which they have a choice/chance to shave.

Given the terrible aim/bullet dispersion in the SA so far we could see this being on account of you being an un-trained civilian but as you use weapons more or as your character gets older the accuracy on weapons increases as if your skill goes up.

You get a higher chance of cooking better quality food and crafting better quality items as you do it (learning).

Alternatively if this is too hard to code into this game then we could have Steam achievements for goals like:

Serial Killer - 25 player kills

Mass Murderer - 100 player kills

Zombie Hunter - 100 zombie kills

Zombie Slayer - 200 zombie kills

Survivor - 5 days without dying

Veteran Survivor - 20 days without dying

etc...

And when I say days I think it was the number of times you logged into the server after 24 hours had passed or on separate dates.

So logging into the server on a character then re-logged still counted as one day, but the next day if I logged in it would count as a different day.... basically the setup the mod had.

rat you have no idea really what your talking about...the only reason you think that is because max planck the so called mod goes around banning and deleting post about pve and such he does not like so you have to dig around to find anything...but whats funny every time he deletes something or bans someone over the pve thing the person he bans gets massive amounts of beans from the community...

so yes pve has a very vocal community in dayz its just been drown out because certain mods are biased towards pve and thoset certain mods only care about pvp...therefore threads get buried and posters get banned for posting what they want to see added outside of pvp...

rat do a little search brother...and killing bambi's should be punished..

No... they shouldn't.... This is DayZ... don't get it, get out.

I don't agree with killing "fresh spawns" or "unarmed players" BUT we only have the alpha state of the game to blame for this right now.

Why?

Spawns are too close together creating an easy hunting ground for "bambi killers".

Military loot is available on the coast.

Civilian weapons besides the Mosin (I have only ever found one, compared to maybe... 10 M4A1s, 5 Magnums and 2 other pistols) have not yet been added.

If the devs removed the Balota military grade loot spawns and limited that stuff to the NWAF, NEAF and certain other north or central military bases, spread out the spawns around the coast (avoiding the north east) and added in civilian weaponry evenly spread in logical locations like farm weapons in barns, occasional civilian weapon in the mansions, hunting gear in the hunting nests and rifles in the offices, police/fire stations etc.. then players have a chance to survive more, people have a reason to go north and it will be harder to kill "bambis" as they can more easily find a weapon to defend themselves with.

Edited by Lancer 2-2

Or, you know... Both? There should be no such thing as skills in the game. Make a poll and confirm my suspicion that most of the community feels like this.

2649625d2abe63c7d66c958aa9c476dd6cae917d

I'm all for stat tracking of any sort.  Kills, deaths, time survived, longest survived, cans of beans eaten, etc.  As long as it's an EXTERNAL tracking method, like a website.  But I definitely want to know these things.

Especially time survived and longest time survived.  And yes I want to see leaderboards for that (and only that really).  I think it would cause many challenges to pop up with players wanting to try and hunt down the top survivors.  Or "current longest living character".

• Like 2