SpetsnazGRU (DayZ)

psychological effects of banditry

If this game's goal is to promote semi-realism, I'm not here to bitch about KOSing and all that nonsense, but I feel like this might be an interesting thing to add into the game.  We could add psychological consequences for killing on sight.  In the instance where a player racks up a large amount of bandit kills, they will experience screen blurring,  and unsteady hands.  White or red flashes could be incorporated into the effect, but it would symbolize the deterioration of the mind.  The guilt starting to eat away at the individual's psyche.  To reduce this effect, the player would have to take painkillers at a steady rate or begin to try and do good deeds to redeem their humanity.  By doing good deeds, their humanity would go up and gradually the effects of guilt would subside.  If you're just going to cry in the comments saying, "Get BTR @ the game skrub, 420 yolo. SURVIVA1 0f th3 f1tt35t bro" , you're better off just not commenting. Honestly, I just like the idea of a hardcore survival zombie simulator and I could care less about how people choose to play the game.  

• Like 9

I'm with you especially the final sentence. I'm not sure how they'd implement it or if the shaking hands & screen effect thing would work but I agree there's probably something that should change in a character with many murders.

I'm not here to bitch about KOSing and all that nonsense, but I feel like this might be an interesting thing to add into the game.  We could add psychological consequences for killing on sight. 

"I'm not here to bitch about it, but definitely want to punish you for doing it. Which is actually far worse."

Psychological problems are a good idea, but not as a "consequence" for what you deem bad behavior. Everyone should be subject to the affects, no matter their actions. Remember, zombies are just sick people. You're murdering random strangers every day.

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby
  • Like 3

I don't really like the idea of humanity. To a compassionate person it seems logical that this would happen, but to someone who is leas inclined to empathize for other people and more inclined to put themselves first then it becomes a me vs. You mentality and the brain is able to cope well with these type of situations. Not to mention the people in the world who experience euphoria from murdering others. I'm not saying those people are justified in their actions, but by no means does their actions contribute to their phsyche. If you want this effect, role play it yourself, otherwise I see one of the best solutions to KOS is more zombies (which is coming) and zombies responding to noise much like in the walking dead. The more you shoot, the more noise you make, the more zombies you alert the lower your chances of survival. I suspect this is all to come in due time, but I hope there is no humanity system implemented. Just mho

• Like 6

Though I guess it can't be something that takes over any of the gameplay of the person playing bandit. They'd all hate that and complain too much.

Maybe on the hardcore servers they've mentioned adding it could be something they put into those.

Honestly, I just like the idea of a hardcore survival zombie simulator and I could care less about how people choose to play the game.  

As long as there are consequences for play styles other than my own.

This again  :facepalm: 

No. All you are doing is punishing people for a play style. 

​I predict this topic will degenerate into a yelling match with neither side giving in. Its been discussed/argued already numerous times.

• Like 1

I actually see this in pretty much every game that has open PvP in it. There are so many people who just can't stand a game where you can openly kill other players and not be punished for it...

I even saw it in minecraft a few times. "This guy keeps finding my base and stealing my stuff/killing me, you need to add in a jail or a temporary ban for people that keep doing this stuff. (because I don't like it)" -Kid playing minecraft on a server labeled "hardcore"

Edited by MystoganXIX
  • Like 2

I wonder how I knew what this topic was going to be about before I even clicked it. Maybe it's because this is posted every other day and every time it is shot down.

Dont gun components degrade faster from killing players already? 

That's enough psychological strain for me. 

The only way I can agree with psychological effects on your char that can turn your char nuts, is that it affect everybody. Maybe it can be a form of disease or sickness that we can contract by I don't know what, something like that. Maybe if we are very dehydrated. Dunno!

Yeah you can't punish any particular play style.. and to argue that this humanity mechanic is "realistic" well no, it's not IMO It's an artificial thing that is happening to my character that, to me,  is just a fucking major inconvenience.

Think about it. We put in realistic aspects like only being able to hear and speak to people who are near us, maybe they plead for their virtual little lives while you point a gun at them.. all of a sudden the guilt is real, you feel it, not your character.

My vote would be for more things to make us as players suffer the psychological ramifications of murder... like when you kill someone maybe your character says something to themselves like "I hope no one was depending on them" or maybe you find random letters in people's pockets sent from loved ones, asking for their help, grandma took a turn for the worst but shes not dead.. well.. not really.. she attacked a doctor and had to be restrained.. they say shes started to... decay...

Sorry started rambling there and actually don't really like those previous two examples but I hope I made my point! Find ways to make the players feel like they are in the game world.. That's what DayZ strives for isn't it?

I say reward bandits for KOS'ing, let em spawn with M4 as military or mercenaries paid to kill survivors to try and stop the virus.... just please slap a small subtle bandit armband on them (red, with a medic symbol on it, that they originally put on to identify each other) so people roleplaying survivors/vigilantes can hunt/stalk/KOS too. Right now it way to hard to firmly identify a bandit/murderer action with 100% certainty. I spent about an hour overlooking a jail last night waiting for [a tiny] chance  to see 1) a bandit AND a survivor come along 2) at the same time 3) and witness a murder 4) with enough view to know whoever shot first wasn't acting in self-defense (unlikely since i can't see into the barracks where stuff usually goes down), so i could act as a vigilante. It really felt like a waste of time after i was done.

Seriously, i almost want a damn cardboard cutout of myself to see if anyone shoots it....

Edited by Thane

You can't add a negative consequence to killing since it is not inherently negative. Plus what if my guy is a psycho serial killer who gains energy and focus from killing other players? I am wearing a clown mask after all

Simple to stop a lot of KoS just make every life cost a dollar, or make some sort of lives system such as you have 3 free respawns and you gain a new life everyday and you can purchase a life if you don't want to wait. People would start to value the life of their character more instead of suiciding so they can spawn at Balota, or running around like legit CoD players. This would hopefully separate the hardcore players from the ones who want it to be easy. Bandits would become more feared and if they killed you, you would feel like they stole more than your gear. Just a little suggestion even though i know it prolly wont be implemented.

I do realize there would be a problem with bugs killing players which is why this couldnt be implemented till full game release and i also know there would be a spawn killing problem. To solve spawn killing they could put a timer so if your killed before the timer is up you wont lose a life. Also it could work once the spawn system is worked on.

This is just an idea and i know others wont like it but its just a suggestion.

This could also help fund the development instead of paying for DLC.

any kind of feedback would be great, positive or negative.

Edited by BxK Str8shot

Simple to stop a lot of KoS just make every life cost a dollar, or make some sort of lives system such as you have 3 free respawns and you gain a new life everyday and you can purchase a life if you don't want to wait. 

This is a bad idea and you should feel bad

Dayz has said they will never do micro transactions. A cool-down period of like an hour or a few hours after you die would be more appropriate

Edited by Shadyfizzle
  • Like 1

This is a bad idea and you should feel bad

Dayz has said they will never do micro transactions. A cool-down period of like an hour or a few hours after you die would be more appropriate

I understand what you mean. I thank god its not pay to win, I just hope they find a way to avoid it being a kill fest like the war z. This is why its just a suggestion and shouldn't be taken to literal.

I mean once they add more content/things to do i think people will spend less time hunting each other down out of boredom. There should be more of a consequence to dying, besides losing all your stuff. Once you have a base set up you can store things and that kinda defeats the main negative aspect of dying.

Exactly. I want people to value their characters more i.e. some sort of skill progression or anything for that matter. It was just a simple suggestion that i thought would be different from the others. 

Why don't we all just take care of bandits ourselves in game instead of asking devs to expose them... Please? As is we have a great opportunity to get extremely involved in the game. What I mean is we can learn bandits voices, their favorite hiding places, idk just seems fun how it is inhale right now. Be prepared for anything and always have the upper hand, roll up on a hot spot and watch for an hour with your guys then when you know who's doing what be a fucking hero and risk your life to root out the evil on your server. They won't take kindly to vein wiped out every time they come to their favorite spot. Be as smart as I know a human can be and we can eliminate these pests. Start a group of heroes and hold down a city or area or town and make it safe. You may lose lives of friends, but its preventable and can be done. Maybe I have too much faith in the heroes of this game...

• Like 1

Why don't we all just take care of bandits ourselves in game instead of asking devs to expose them... Please? As is we have a great opportunity to get extremely involved in the game. What I mean is we can learn bandits voices, their favorite hiding places, idk just seems fun how it is inhale right now. Be prepared for anything and always have the upper hand, roll up on a hot spot and watch for an hour with your guys then when you know who's doing what be a fucking hero and risk your life to root out the evil on your server. They won't take kindly to vein wiped out every time they come to their favorite spot. Be as smart as I know a human can be and we can eliminate these pests. Start a group of heroes and hold down a city or area or town and make it safe. You may lose lives of friends, but its preventable and can be done. Maybe I have too much faith in the heroes of this game...

I don't think people are complaining mainly about bandits seeing as how without them the game wouldn't be what it is today. I think the main complaint is the Kill on Sight mentality 2/3 of the community has picked up due to boredom ect... This could change when the full game is released but as of now people are tired of being killed with every interaction with another player.

I don't think people are complaining mainly about bandits seeing as how without them the game wouldn't be what it is today. I think the main complaint is the Kill on Sight mentality

So, people aren't complaining about "bandits" they just have a really specific definition of banditry that doesn't include me killing you before we've sat down for a heart-to-heart over a can of beans?

This argument is so pervasive; I don't understand it one bit. Some arbitrary distinction made between "real banditry" and murder which is completely pointless. Standing around bullshitting with you or trying to "rob" you is a waste of my time, exposes me to other players, and gives you an opportunity to get away or murder me. Why would I bother, when I can just shoot you and get it over with? I have everything I need. I don't need to rob you. I just don't want you to be alive anymore.

So, people aren't complaining about "bandits" they just have a really specific definition of banditry that doesn't include me killing you before we've sat down for a heart-to-heart over a can of beans?

This argument is so pervasive; I don't understand it one bit. Some arbitrary distinction made between "real banditry" and murder which is completely pointless. Standing around bullshitting with you or trying to "rob" you is a waste of my time, exposes me to other players, and gives you an opportunity to get away or murder me. Why would I bother, when I can just shoot you and get it over with? I have everything I need. I don't need to rob you. I just don't want you to be alive anymore.

Thats fine and at least i don't hate people for it. This is why i avoid people completely lol. Its just people are, i guess looking for more than just being killed every time they encounter someone. People also want to have other interactions with nice people and thats what makes memories for people and also makes them want to come back to play more. I can see why being KoS could turn people away but it is part of the game.

if your going to go with that then i say each day you survive in game you slowly start to go insane due to well the whole zombie thing so say you go all rick from walking dead etc